PDA

View Full Version : What one piece of advice would you give....

Johnny Swank
01-17-2007, 23:26
To an aspiring thru-hiker in three sentences or less? I was just thinking about this earlier today and wanted to see what people would come up with.

Mine would be something like "Make your thru-hike your #1 priority if you want to finish. Gear doesn't get you to Springer (Katahdin for you nobo-types). Heart does."

Jim Adams
01-17-2007, 23:31
even heart wont make you finish if you push too hard and hurt yourself or become bored.
1. HAVE FUN!
2. TAKE YOUR TIME.
3. HAVE FUN!
get it?

geek

RedneckRye
01-17-2007, 23:49
Slow down and carry a travel size bottle of Gold Bond powder.

The Weasel
01-17-2007, 23:49
(1) Go light.
(2) Walk in the light, sleep in the dark.
(3) Live in the moment.

The Weasel

Johnny Swank
01-17-2007, 23:52

I had a friend who carried enough chafe stuff to stock a nursery school with! Dude was hurtin.

Sly
01-17-2007, 23:54
I asked a similar question of former thru-hiker I met near the NOC, in two words his advice was: "keep persisting".

rafe
01-18-2007, 00:46
I asked a similar question of former thru-hiker I met near the NOC, in two words his advice was: "keep persisting".

I thought it was keep perspiring. Or keep anti-perspirant. Or something. :-?

hopefulhiker
01-18-2007, 07:50
Go light. Go slow. Go by yourself.

Grampie
01-18-2007, 10:55
First: Have enough money.

Second: Have enough time.

Third: Have enough will power.:)

Outlaw
01-18-2007, 10:59
... or, as in the great Nike slogan, "Just Do it!"

-MYST-
01-18-2007, 17:23
My first thing to mention would be take your time at the start and don't try to do big miles right away, they will come naturally.

Second would be always have a set of dry clothes, kept dry with your sleeping bag, to put on at camp/shelters and put your wet ones back on in the morning (oh what a feeling).

Third would be a product called body glide, it does amazing things to prevent chaffing in some sensitive areas.

-MYST_
the adventure continues.....

GA->ME'04

rafe
01-18-2007, 17:26
What geek said. (Msg. #2.)

Footslogger
01-18-2007, 17:28
Plan like hell ahead of time and then just roll with it once you're out there. Don't let it STOP being fun. Get as much out of each day as you can, either in terms of miles or experiences. Other than due to circumstances beyond your control ...FINISH !!

'Slogger

mrc237
01-18-2007, 17:36
Don't forget your cellphone:) Bring lotsa cash. Bring lotsa plastic.

max patch
01-18-2007, 17:41
(1) Go light.
(2) Walk in the light, sleep in the dark.
(3) Live in the moment.

The Weasel

My advice would be to not take advice on how to do a thru hike from those who haven't actually done a thru hike.

bfitz
01-18-2007, 17:42
1. Tough actin tinactin (antifungal powder spray-it is the best for chafing).
2. Never turn down an oppurtunity to have a good time. Side tracks and little misadventures often make for the best stories.
3. You will find your own way to do things. There is no right way. HYOH!!!!!

Sly
01-18-2007, 17:52
My advice would be to not take advice on how to do a thru hike from those who haven't actually done a thru hike.

Affirmative! :D

Jester2000
01-18-2007, 18:03
Take your time.
Carry enough weight to keep you happy in camp.
Appreciate what role others have in keeping you on the trail (hikers, locals, business owners) and act accordingly.

Marta
01-18-2007, 18:04
1) Don't worry about the long-term, try to make each day a good day.

2) Eat lots.

3) If you want to quit, put it off for a couple of days, and keep hiking in the meantime.

That's three sentences, and three pieces of advice. Hmmm. Forget the first two, and go with the last one.

Accolada
01-18-2007, 18:09
I can't agree more with Sly. Keep on persisting! =)

Programbo
01-18-2007, 18:12
OK..I saw this post early this morning but had to run down to VA and pick someone up at the airport so didn`t have time to reply..But after pondering it all day I have come up with these bits of advice:

1) Make sure you are in good BACKPACKING shape. (Lots of people are in good shape generally but not in the walking with weight on your back up and down hills specific manner and thus problems develope)

2)Take your time and have fun. (If you have to take a month longer because you are carrying 10 pounds more but you are eating well and have those nice little luxuries it`s worth it trust me)

3)MAKE SURE YOU ARE OUT THERE FOR THE RIGHT REASONS!!! (This is my biggest piece of advice..I`ve seen statistics saying that only like 10-15% of people starting thru-hikes today finish????..That`s telling me a LOT of people aren`t there for the right reason..Unless you have a LOT of willpower and can force yourself to do something you don't really want to for 4-5 months, I don't think you'll make it unless you REALLY love the mountains and nature and the whole AT lifestyle)

rafe
01-18-2007, 18:16
Right reasons? Oy, that's why I never made it.... :cool:

bfitz
01-18-2007, 18:37
OK..I saw this post early this morning but had to run down to VA and pick someone up at the airport so didn`t have time to reply..But after pondering it all day I have come up with these bits of advice:

1) Make sure you are in good BACKPACKING shape. (Lots of people are in good shape generally but not in the walking with weight on your back up and down hills specific manner and thus problems develope)

2)Take your time and have fun. (If you have to take a month longer because you are carrying 10 pounds more but you are eating well and have those nice little luxuries it`s worth it trust me)

3)MAKE SURE YOU ARE OUT THERE FOR THE RIGHT REASONS!!! (This is my biggest piece of advice..I`ve seen statistics saying that only like 10-15% of people starting thru-hikes today finish????..That`s telling me a LOT of people aren`t there for the right reason..Unless you have a LOT of willpower and can force yourself to do something you don't really want to for 4-5 months, I don't think you'll make it unless you REALLY love the mountains and nature and the whole AT lifestyle)
Don't be discouraged. The best way to get in shape for a thru-hike is to thru-hike. Definitely consider your reasons carefully, but refer to rule number one when consulting others.

bfitz
01-18-2007, 18:38
Rule number one is "don't be discouraged".

Peaks
01-18-2007, 18:46
No pain, No rain, No Maine

Jack Tarlin
01-18-2007, 18:48
1. Be flexible and adaptable in all things.
2. Expect the unexpected and don't be upset when this happens.
3. Keep a sense of humor, cuz you'll surely need it.

SalParadise
01-18-2007, 20:17
1. Think of bad weather as a challenge to overcome and don't wallow in it.
2. A positive or negative attitude is your choice.
3. Think of how far you've come from Springer, not how far you are from Katahdin

Blissful
01-18-2007, 20:51
Rule number one is "don't be discouraged".

I'll take that one!! :)

Lone Wolf
01-18-2007, 20:53
every day is a saturday and every meal is a banquet
pain is just weakness leaving the body
blue-blaze often

WalkinHome
01-18-2007, 21:32
1. Take too many pictures of PEOPLE and then take some more.

A. Take your money, ID etc out of your pack before putting it a trunk or back of a pick up etc.

b. Do one last nature call IN the woods before heading into civilization.

Be safe

Froggy
01-18-2007, 21:33
A while ago some older ladies gave a slide show about hiking the Colorado Trail. The audience was primarily young athletic folks. During the quesstion and answer period at the end, one youthful chap asked the somewhat grandmotherly-appearing ladies, "How did YOU do it?"

The room became very quiet. After a bit of a pause one of the ladies gave her answer, slightly acerbically:

"Just keep walking. You'll get there."

bigben
01-18-2007, 22:20
I like this one I heard some thruhiker say on the "Appalachian Impressions" PBS domuentary.

"Don't trust any decision made while walking UPHILL."

weary
01-18-2007, 23:00
Slow down and carry a travel-size bottle of good bourbon!

weary
01-18-2007, 23:04

Programo. If you want us older folks to read what you are writing post in black, not a weak purple.

RedneckRye
01-18-2007, 23:34
Slow down and carry a travel-size bottle of good bourbon!

Absolutely, maybe even a bit bigger than travel size so that you can share.

Jim Adams
01-18-2007, 23:38
Absolutely, maybe even a bit bigger than travel size so that you can share.

:banana a liter fits in the pack nicely!

The Snowman
01-19-2007, 20:21
Have fun. If you stop haveing fun, stop and figuur out way you are no longer haveing fun and fix the promblem don't just push on.