PDA

View Full Version : Question for experienced pocketmail users

Michele
01-18-2007, 12:27
I just activated my service. I sent some emails to test it, but the recipients show that the email came from my personal (hotmail) address, not my pocketmail address. The problem is that when they reply, it doesn't go to my pocketmail, it goes to my regular hotmail account. Is this normal? Is there a way to change this?

I was thinking they do this so that you control who has your pocketmail address (to prevent it from filling up with spam), but I don't know. Thanks for any advice.

By the way....for anyone else thinking about waiting till the last minute to hook yours up, I wouldn't suggest it. Although the customer service person was very nice and very helpful, I was literally on hold for over 2 hours waiting to just speak with them....thank god for speaker phones! :D

RiverWarriorPJ
01-18-2007, 12:41
My cingular works the same way.....I'm not sure if you can change it, but i haven't looked into it, since, as you said, i don't get all the spam......i just log onto my site to check msgs, but you can set up an "alert" to notify your pocketmail that you have msgs in your box..

Sly
01-18-2007, 12:53
Try checking here for an answer.

http://pocketmail.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/pocketmail.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

I think if all else fails, you could probably just eliminate the link to your hotmail addy

Johnny Swank
01-18-2007, 13:09
I think we had to go in the Pocketmail site and make sure the email addresses jived as well. It took all of 10 minutes if memory serves correctly.

Those things are great - I wouldn't do another long trip without either a Pocketmail or some other way to deal with emails without having to scout out a library or other internet accesss.

K-Man
01-18-2007, 14:53
Mich, How long before leaving for the hike would you suggest I order my pocket mail?

Footslogger
01-18-2007, 15:02
Is PocketMail the only show in town ? ...and aren't some of the newer PDA's/Blackberries smaller/lighter/faster ??

Just a question here. Have never used a PocketMail but saw several in use during my 2003 thru. Based on how quickly this sort of technology becomes obsolete I'm just wondering if there are any newer alternatives that work as well ??

'Slogger

Mags
01-18-2007, 15:41
Is PocketMail the only show in town ? ...and aren't some of the newer PDA's/Blackberries smaller/lighter/faster ??

The main advantage of the Pocketmail is that it is antiquated technology. A device that has its core a 1970s era acoustic modem. Any standard phone should work. With the exception of a few (very few!) remote places, most stops have a phone avail.

PDA/Blackberries rely on technology that is not prevalent in many of the towns hiker trash tend to frequent (though, that is changing rapidly!).

I know of a few people who used a Blackberry type device on the AT with decent results. Probably be even better in the future...but still not as convenient as a pocketmail quite yet. On the PCT/CDT? Fuhgeddaboddit!

Soooooooo....Pocketmail is taking a big financial hit because Blackberry type technology is easy to use in major-medium sized metro areas. But, that technology is not overly avail in Trail Town, USA quite yet (though the AT is changing rapidly in this regard).

Footslogger
01-18-2007, 16:07
Soooooooo....Pocketmail is taking a big financial hit because Blackberry type technology is easy to use in major-medium sized metro areas. But, that technology is not overly avail in Trail Town, USA quite yet (though the AT is changing rapidly in this regard).

================================

Wow ...so what is the buy-in for Pocketmail ? $100 or so for the device and then a monthly/yearly service contract ?? I could be convinced to carry one on my next hike.

'Slogger

Johnny Swank
01-18-2007, 16:08
I agree with what Mags said regarding the technology. Batteries last forever (or a month, whichever comes first), and there's less junk to get gunked up over time.

Having said that, I'd probably use a Treo with a folding keyboard next time, but bear in mind that I write a newspaper column during extended trips and need to hack out longer pieces, send photos, etc on a regular basis. If all you need to do is send/recieve are emails, the Pocketmail device is for you. It really is a cool little device, and being able to use it from any phone is great.

Mags
01-18-2007, 16:22

Wow ...so what is the buy-in for Pocketmail ? $100 or so for the device and then a monthly/yearly service contract ?? I could be convinced to carry one on my next hike.

'Slogger

I'ee seen them on E-bay for less than that.

Also, pocketmail will often have a special where you can buy one with a six month subscription service. Just about right for a thru-hike! Also, try putting a "WANTED TO BUY" ad on the various trail forums at the end of thru-hiking season. I bet someone will be willing to sell you one as well!

And yeah,, the AA batteries (also avail at most stops!) do seem to last quite a while. As with Johnny, I suggest replacing them once a month.

As an additional note, the Pocketmail I used was on the PCT in 2002 and 2003. And was also on used on the CDT in 2004, 2005 and 2006! (Three of us shared one Pocketmail for our hikes). Talk about a simple, rugged and practical device!

As for newspaper articles, I wrote some for a local newspaper while I was on my CDT hike with Pocketmail. 500 words each. Bounced a bucket with a portable CD burner for pics. The articles were every two weeks.

A little clumsy at times, but it did work. YMMV. If I do anoher extended trip with newspaper articles, I may do something different. Not sure.

My ramblings that are politely called articles (if anyone is curious)
http://web.dailycamera.com/recreation/magnanti/

(alas, no pics. You can find my CDT pics on my website):

Sorry for the minor thread swerve! :)

Michele
01-18-2007, 17:53
Mich, How long before leaving for the hike would you suggest I order my pocket mail?

K-Man, I think as long as you have it (in hand) within 3 weeks of leaving, you'll be fine. This will give you time to activate it, add your email addresses into it, and play around with it. I bought mine on ebay, so I don't know how long the pocketmail company takes to mail the things out.

Upload and Stitches used their Verizon phone last year, it had a keyboard and they took/uploaded pics with it. They are expensive and it all depends on whether you get a cell signal, but they didn't have to wait to upload journal entries in towns if they got a signal on a mountain top.

'Slogger

I got mine for $60.00 used on ebay (can't tell it was used though). My friend Nicole got one on ebay used + a 1 year subscription for like $120.00...which is a really good deal. I signed up for a 6 month subscription and it was $105.00. I'm on the plan to have them automatically deduct per quarter after that, and 3 months is $59.00. It's very cost effective if all you do is email. I love the thing.

I will warn that the device is made by JVC, Sharp, and Pocketmail. I think only the pocketmail one will handle digital cell signals....mine is a Sharp and I can't use my Cingular cell phone with it. No biggie, I'd rather not be messing w/worrying about a signal while on the trail. That can all wait till I hit a town. Oh...regardless of which company made it, they all look/function exactly the same though.