PDA

View Full Version : Blood Mountain in Feb.?

Vince
01-18-2007, 12:27
Hoping to jump back in nobo at Woody Gap (GA) in February. Would this be unwise? Is a 15 degree bag sufficient? Are boots a must, versus low-cut Merrels? How about tents - I'd like to save the space and weight by bringing a Eureka Solitaire, but could also bring the SD Lightning.

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Twofifteen
01-18-2007, 14:18
I posted a similar question here last week. Here's the thread.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20489

The Solemates
01-18-2007, 14:38
Hoping to jump back in nobo at Woody Gap (GA) in February. Would this be unwise? Is a 15 degree bag sufficient? Are boots a must, versus low-cut Merrels? How about tents - I'd like to save the space and weight by bringing a Eureka Solitaire, but could also bring the SD Lightning.

Any insight would be most appreciated.

See 215's post that was mentioned.

The answer to your questions depends on what time of February you are starting and how long are you going to be out. Feb 1 is usually a lot different than Feb 29. But, on the same hand, Feb in GA is chancy. 60 one day, 20 another. If you are going to be out for a week, check the weather forecast. A 15 degree bag should be sufficient if the forecast says so. If you are out for 2 months, I would go with a 0 degree bag, especially if you start more towards Feb 1. Boots are not a must. Trailrunners are fine, but if it snows a lot, be prepared for wet feet. We have had >36" snow drifts on the southern AT in Feb/Mar. I don't think the tent matters much. Bring what you are comfortable with. I will tell you that a tent is much warmer than a shelter in the winter.

jbwood5
01-18-2007, 15:22
Hoping to do a run/hike from Woody Gap to Neels Gap and back on Saturday. May need to go a little further because we want 7-8 hours on the trail. This assumes no ice. They are expecting freezing drizzle tonight but that should end and melt. We'll be slacking with day packs and several easy on/off layers. It is supposed to be low/mid 20s to start and up to the 40's by 2:00 PM. It should be good weather, looking at today's forcast. It has been very warm this year as was mentioned, but sometimes these warm times are followed by cold periods to sort of balance things out. For February, it could go either way, but I think you'll be OK.

Just John

jesse
01-18-2007, 15:43
Isn't the Blood Mountian Wilderness a "no-fire zone?

whitefoot_hp
01-18-2007, 15:50
and yes the blood mountain wilderness is currently a no fire zone.. however i think you can get away with it:) . the weather around here has turned a little frigid, ie freezing rain last night, but im planning to hike next weekend, weather permitting. i expect it to be a little cold

drdewrag
01-18-2007, 16:03
Boots aren't necessarily a must if you take along some extra socks. That's a sweet section... The 15 degree bag should be okay - especially with the lightning. If there's much wind, you'd rather have the lightning. Bring 'em both then check the forecast - especially the wind. Enjoy!!

Vince
01-18-2007, 16:11
Awesome, thanks for the replies! My search-fu is weak, thanks for the link to the other thread. ;)