PDA

View Full Version : Help with Georgia hike

joec
01-18-2007, 13:34
I have talked my wife into another hike. For this hike we would like to do something in Ga. To please my wife, I usually plan of going into a town and getting a shuttle out about 10-20 miles, and give her a short easy hike due to the usual elevation drop going into a town. Are there trail towns in Ga? We will be going in late March. If there are no trail towns then we may have to do a loop? Any advice appreciated.

Dances with Mice
01-18-2007, 14:04
I'm not sure I understand your question. The AT does not pass directly through any towns in Georgia. There are several that are an easy hitch or shuttle away.

There are also shuttlers available at every road crossing.

MOWGLI
01-18-2007, 14:09
If you could afford to spend a bit of $$$, Josh & Leigh Saint of HikerHostel.com (http://hikerhostel.com/slackpack.php) can probably slackpack you through Georgia. That would involve dropping you off and picking you up at a trailhead each morning. They have a private room that you and your wife could stay in. Give 'em a holler, and tell 'em Little Bear sent ya! (There's nothing in it for me. They are just good friends.)

The Solemates
01-18-2007, 14:41
I have talked my wife into another hike. For this hike we would like to do something in Ga. To please my wife, I usually plan of going into a town and getting a shuttle out about 10-20 miles, and give her a short easy hike due to the usual elevation drop going into a town. Are there trail towns in Ga? We will be going in late March. If there are no trail towns then we may have to do a loop? Any advice appreciated.

the hike starting at vogel state park, heading up to blood mtn, and back down is a great weekend hike, not too strenuous, and scenic. there are public showers and lodges at the state park upon your return if you are so inclined. the name of the trail slips my mind right now...someone will come up with it..

troglobil
01-18-2007, 15:01
Coming out of Vogel would be the Coosa Backcountry Trail to Duncan Ridge Trail Slaughter Gap and the AT.

whitefoot_hp
01-19-2007, 16:14
correct, trog

bigmac_in
01-19-2007, 18:04
If you could afford to spend a bit of $$$, Josh & Leigh Saint of HikerHostel.com (http://hikerhostel.com/slackpack.php) can probably slackpack you through Georgia. That would involve dropping you off and picking you up at a trailhead each morning. They have a private room that you and your wife could stay in. Give 'em a holler, and tell 'em Little Bear sent ya! (There's nothing in it for me. They are just good friends.)

This sounds like a great option for you. Your wife would like the town of Dahlonega, which is nearby. It is the sight of the country's first gold rush.
Have Josh & Leigh drop you off at the USFS42 parking lot on Springer Mtn. You can walk the .9 miles to the southern terminus and then turn around and walk north the rest of the day. Hightower Gap would be a good days walk (just over 8 miles) , and not too strenuous.

joec
01-20-2007, 19:30
Hightower Gap and then what? We would like to spend one nite on the trail and then walk out to somewhere, usually on the second day we walk out to a trail town. Sounds good, I would like to visit the start of the AT.

galaleemc
01-22-2007, 22:45

Dahlonga is a great suggestion. It has the prettiest town square up in this area.

Helen is, in my opinion a tourist trap, but can be cute and has its appeal to some. Unicoi lodge is just north of Helen.

Hiawassee has a great B&B http://www.henson-cove-place.com/ They will probably get you to and from the trail, but I do not know if they charge. There is also a cute and very small 2 story cabin across the street from us - pm me if you want that info.

No town is a trail town. So rides will have to be arranged!

So if you are being a bit romantic, knowing this area - go to Dahlonega. More mature, quieter, and close to great hiking. Close the Josh and Leigh.

generoll
01-23-2007, 08:05
Laura was being modest. There is also the Cloud 9 hostel near Dicks Creek Gap. You could start at either Unicoi Gap or Dicks Creek gap and hike to the other gap with one night on the trail or make it an easy two nighter, assuming anything that includes Kelley Nob can be called easy. Contact them for shuttle and lodging information if you want to move your hike a little farther north along the trail.

Jaybird
01-23-2007, 08:14
[QUOTE=joec;305344]I have talked my wife into another hike. For this hike we would like to do something in Ga. To please my wife, I usually plan of going into a town and getting a shuttle out about 10-20 miles,..........etc............. (QUOTE]

Why not buy an over-sized tent...2 cushy mummy bags with spiffy, fluffy sleep pads & start @ Springer @ head to Neels Gap....barely 30 miles & great FUN!.....easily done in 3 days!:D

galaleemc
01-24-2007, 11:17
Laura was being modest. There is also the Cloud 9 hostel near Dicks Creek Gap. You could start at either Unicoi Gap or Dicks Creek gap and hike to the other gap with one night on the trail or make it an easy two nighter, assuming anything that includes Kelley Nob can be called easy. Contact them for shuttle and lodging information if you want to move your hike a little farther north along the trail.

Yes we will be open of course you can stay here, however, we don't take reservations. I will not like anyone showing up and having to say "sorry we are full" but especially to a couple planning a trip like this. But we might now be what they had in mind.

LuTotten
01-24-2007, 13:47
If you want to visit Springer I would suggest maybe Springer to Woody Gap. Its about 20 miles, besides Springer the first 4 miles to Three Forks will fly by since its very easy hiking, and you could go see Long Creek Falls for a little added scenery. If you want a little shorter you can get off at Gooch Gap for about a 16 mile hike, its not off a main road like Woody but still has fairly easy access. You will have to arrange a shuttle at any point in GA b/c there really aren't any towns close enough to walk to.