PDA

View Full Version : best thru-hammock sleeping bag

johnny quest
01-18-2007, 14:33
im looking for a sleeping bag for my thru-hike and i plan to hammock as much of the trip as possible. i have a foreign military bag that doubles as a coat. i love it for hammocking. it simplifies getting in and out. you just put on the bag like a coat the sit down in the hh (my choice of hammock.) if you havent tried it, its made for hammocking, imho. the problem is that the bag i have is far too heavy for backpacking.

my question is does anyone know of bags that double as coats? ive looked at the exped wallcreeper. it is very interesting. if anyone has experience with it please let me know.

K-Man
01-18-2007, 14:35
The Jacks R Better No Sniveller doubles as an underquilt and a coat. I use a standard sleeping bag in my hammock as a top quilt so that I can "go to ground" in a shelter if I choose not to hammock. Lots of options and uses with this setup...

johnny quest
01-18-2007, 14:41
thanks k-man. im looking at the jrb stuff and they certainly have a following, but the serape configuration isnt the same as what im wanting. my military bag is actually worn, with legs poking out the bottom of the bag. you sit down and lean back in the hammock and just stick your feet back in the end of the bag. the jrb, from what i can see, has you configuring the item in two different ways depending on your use.

does any of what i just said make sense?

K-Man
01-18-2007, 14:49
I think...I have gotten so used to hanging the quilt I can have it off my body and under my hammock in about 30 seconds and vice versa. When worn as a jacket it extends well under your ass so you get a lot more coverage than with a normal jacket. I just wear some fleece pants and a thermal shirt and I am plenty warm while lounging around camp. I really really really love this underquilt. It's my favorite piece of gear in my pack (Jetboil is a close second)

If you are really into the whole body bag wearing thingy, I believe Feathered Friends makes something similar to what your currently have.

Grinder
01-18-2007, 14:55
Johnny Quest

Search for posts by "Turk". He recently purchased a sleeping bag/coat in down. He wrote a review and there are pictures of the coat. Here, Hammock forums of Sgt Rock's site.

Also, Neo made one and posted pictures either here or at Hammock forums. If you like the look you could contact him for details. (LIke who sewed it for him)

Tom

chowhound
01-18-2007, 15:01
Check out the Exped Wallcreeper available at Backcountry.com and other on line outfitters.

napster
01-18-2007, 15:09
http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=027439&Category_Code=35

Check this out 3.39lbs

K-Man
01-18-2007, 15:24
http://www.featheredfriends.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productId=82&CatId=1&ProductName=Rock%20Wren

http://www.featheredfriends.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productId=84&CatId=1&ProductName=Winter%20Wren

hammock engineer
01-18-2007, 21:24
http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=027439&Category_Code=35

Check this out 3.39lbs

That is the one that neo is always talking about. Rock posted somewhere on HF that you could trim it down some and save some weight. I think he gave it about a 50 degree rating.

johnny quest
01-19-2007, 10:58
wow, thanks everyone. that is what i was hoping...the leads to a solution.
i am looking at the exped. kudos to rei for being willing to special order one for me, AND take it back if i dont like it.
here is the bag im trying to emulate.

neo
01-19-2007, 12:25
wow, thanks everyone. that is what i was hoping...the leads to a solution.
i am looking at the exped. kudos to rei for being willing to special order one for me, AND take it back if i dont like it.
here is the bag im trying to emulate.

the exped is ok,i sold mine last year,i prefer usind a quilt:cool: neo

johnny quest
01-19-2007, 13:31
neo, thanks for talking to me about this subject earlier. can you tell me what led you to move from a wearable sleeping bag to a quilt?

highway
01-19-2007, 13:42
Feathered Friends Wren. You can wear it or sleep in it. You can even wear it and walk around in it. You can stay in it, walk around in it and pee while wearing it-just hike it up far enough before taking the shot:D

peter_pan
01-19-2007, 15:54
No Sniveller at 20 oz and handling to 30 * is wearable and best by most discussion in a hammock.... add full size omni tape for 1 oz and a DTEPC for 3 oz and you have a full bag... all under 1.5 lbs ( 24 oz)...no air leaks and a minimally insulated bottom for go tho ground capability as well...

Pan

neo
01-19-2007, 16:16
neo, thanks for talking to me about this subject earlier. can you tell me what led you to move from a wearable sleeping bag to a quilt?

quilts can be lighter and warmer,check out jacksrbetter quilts,i have a couple of speer hammocks quilts i really like:cool: neo

General Tso
02-09-2007, 00:02
Has anyone tried a poncho liner from a military surplus store? I found it to be the best thing that was issued to me. It can be worn like a cape, wrapped around the body and very versatile. 1.3lbs as well. Not bad and certainly cheap.

take-a-knee
05-14-2007, 23:46
Neo, I'm not sure I agree that a quilt can be warmer, and they aren't much lighter. I made a RayWay a couple of years ago for my hammock, using his fit instructions it wound up about 48in. wide at the top. My Rock Wren is about 60in. in circumference, that's about 20-25% more weight in theory. The hood on the Rock Wren is bomber, when it gets below forty that hood makes the Wren much easier to stay warm. I don't have to carry/keep up with three hats to keep heat from pouring out the top of my head. My Rock Wren has a half-zip, it is TOO WARM to use now in May in the south. I just ordered an Exped Wallcreeper (synthetic) with a full zip for use above 45. I'm using a KAQ for bottom insulation. Wallcreeper note; I'm 5'8", I ordered the reg (for up to 5'9") if I were any taller, I'd have had to send it back. If you are OVER 5'9", don't think you can make a regular work.

peter_pan
05-15-2007, 02:10
Neo, I'm not sure I agree that a quilt can be warmer, and they aren't much lighter. I made a RayWay a couple of years ago for my hammock, using his fit instructions it wound up about 48in. wide at the top. My Rock Wren is about 60in. in circumference, that's about 20-25% more weight in theory. The hood on the Rock Wren is bomber, when it gets below forty that hood makes the Wren much easier to stay warm. I don't have to carry/keep up with three hats to keep heat from pouring out the top of my head. My Rock Wren has a half-zip, it is TOO WARM to use now in May in the south. I just ordered an Exped Wallcreeper (synthetic) with a full zip for use above 45. I'm using a KAQ for bottom insulation. Wallcreeper note; I'm 5'8", I ordered the reg (for up to 5'9") if I were any taller, I'd have had to send it back. If you are OVER 5'9", don't think you can make a regular work.

TAK, et al,

If you want to have a hood with a quilt there are several out there that can be used seperately and thus work with a quilt and also whenever you want.... much more flexible than a hood fixed to a bag... some as light as 2 oz.

Pan

Ramble~On
05-15-2007, 06:26
Has anyone tried a poncho liner from a military surplus store? I found it to be the best thing that was issued to me. It can be worn like a cape, wrapped around the body and very versatile. 1.3lbs as well. Not bad and certainly cheap.

Yes, and I've made a few into underquilts. They're pretty cheap and with some velcro sewn on in spots I can layer them for more insulation.
I sewed a nylon footbox on to one and use it as a summer quilt.
Still....it's hard to beat down and as Peter Pan mentioned the No Sniveller can be used in a number of ways. I bought a No Sniveller a while back and love it. It makes a great underquilt or top quilt and is many steps up from a poncho liner.

hammock engineer
05-15-2007, 10:33
I use a windproof fleece hat as my hood. Already in my pack, no need to carry 2 things to do the same thing. I have also put my primaloft coat under and over my head to use as a pillow/hood.

My homemade quilt weighs in at about 22oz with suspension system.