PDA

View Full Version : Sad News

PushingDaisies
07-05-2003, 09:21
I have some very sad news to report from the trail.

On July 2, a 15 year old girl died on the trail in the rollarcoaster section in VA, a mile and a half from the Sam Moore Shelter.

I spent the night before at Rod Hollow Shelter with her group, talking to them for about a hour and a half about thru hiking, music and anything else they wanted to talk about. A fun group of girls. I found out that they were from a residential school in GA and were out for a few days of hiking.

The next morning, they left the shelter at 6:30am. At about 12:30 I saw part of the group surrounding the girl, who had collapsed on the trail. Everyone who passed by offered their help but help was refused. We were told to just step around her.

A few hours after I arrived at Bear's Den Hostel, we were told that she had passed away. I haven't heard if they have determined why she died.

MadAussieInLondon
07-05-2003, 12:58
i think this was on.. the atl? i dont remmeber. i read it somewhere. i think it was heat exhaustion? probably wrong.

celt
07-05-2003, 13:24
there is another thread about this on Whiteblaze. See
"Georgia Teen Died On AT in Virginia"

Waterbuffalo
07-10-2003, 12:26
The paper here in Atlanta stated the death was due to Cardiac Arrest and she had no prior health problems.

WB

rickb
12-04-2003, 16:13
W. Buff--

Google news sent me an article stating that it was just determined the tragedy was precipatated by heat stroke.

http://www.gwinnettdailyonline.com/GDP/archive/article3AB8D61B36AB477FAB313A339DCB61AF.asp

As I understand things, heat stroke is common enough that its probably something that all hikers should be aware of.

Rick B