PDA

View Full Version : Hey Im frozen in Dahlonega

zerohiker
01-18-2007, 15:42
I just wanted to say hi to everyone on the site. I just started my thru hike 2007 & I am heading towards Wood's Hole shelter tomorrow. Freezing rain today; so, taking a Zero. Would like to talk with people in the area, 2007 thru hikers, or anyone else who can offer suggestions about hiking in this kind of weather. Im a southern man and this is tough; but, fun!
Hope to here from ya,
Zero:datz :datz

Lone Wolf
01-18-2007, 15:43
Eat dinner at the Smith House.

Frosty
01-18-2007, 16:01
Hey Zero,

Can't think of a better place to hole up from freezing rain than the Hiker Hostel, unless maybe Haven's Budget Inn with that steak buffet around the corner.

How're your lungs doing? I'll bet in another week or so you'll see benefits of not smoking and you'll be striding up those hills.

You ever get a tent?

zerohiker
01-18-2007, 16:16
Hey Frosty,
No tent yet, going to stick it out a little longer,,,lungs better, well see tomorrow?
You hiking this year

Pokey2006
01-19-2007, 03:11
Hey, you can totally quit smoking! Did I ever tell you how I was an ex-smoker? Quit three months before starting the trail. And I was a heavy, heavy chain smoker. Don't have a single picture of myself without a cigarette in my hand, except the pics from the trail.

There will be temptation, especially those southern bars, but you can resist, if you really want to.

Good luck! I'm so rooting for you. Third time's the charm.

Jim Adams
01-19-2007, 06:54
Zero,
I smoked thru both of my thru hikes but now that I've quit a few years ago, I can't imagine ever doing that again. YOU CAN DO IT!
Good luck with your hike...the weather will eventually get better.
geek

ps GREAT name.

bigcranky
01-19-2007, 08:09
Hey, Zero, the weather isn't much better back in Texas right now. (I know that probably doesn't help much.) Good luck, stay dry and warm, and have fun.

neo
01-19-2007, 09:18
I just wanted to say hi to everyone on the site. I just started my thru hike 2007 & I am heading towards Wood's Hole shelter tomorrow. Freezing rain today; so, taking a Zero. Would like to talk with people in the area, 2007 thru hikers, or anyone else who can offer suggestions about hiking in this kind of weather. Im a southern man and this is tough; but, fun!
Hope to here from ya,
Zero:datz :datz
:) i hope you have a great hike and good luck:cool: neo

rafe
01-19-2007, 10:09
Frozen in Dahlonega -- sounds like a movie title. Hey, Zero, have fun on your hike. Stay warm. We'll be thinking of you (and jealous.)

maxNcathy
01-19-2007, 10:49
Frezing rain!!! stay away from slippery slopes and cliffs. Would crampons help?

Have a great time each day.

Gray Blazer
01-19-2007, 11:35
Eat dinner at the Smith House.They still have the Smith House? Haven't been there since I was a little boy. Reminds me of a story. I think the Dillard House is kinda like the Smith House if I remember correctly. I took my wife to the Dillard House to impress her without telling her what it was like. First off, let me tell you my wife was born in Manhatten and doesn't like grits and other good country stuff. Well, first off, she wanted to know where was the menu. And when they started bringing all that good country food to the table, well, that really blew her mind. It was as if you had told General Sherman he had no business in GA and had to wear a confederate uniform. She and Sherman must be related because she refused to eat one bite of those delicious vittles (I can spell it right, OK, Half Pint....victuals). Well, the moral of the story was I got to eat twice as much country food and I don't surprise my wife anymore (although, she does like Cracker Barrel....go figure).

Lone Wolf
01-19-2007, 11:38
www.smithhouse.com/

Gray Blazer
01-19-2007, 11:40
Yup, that's the place. Fried Chicken, roast beef....UUUuummmmm....Doh!

Newb
01-23-2007, 14:13
When I grew up we had a farm in Auraria, just outside Dahlonega. I used to love the Smith house, and a little Dahlonega place called the "Wagon Wheel" restaurant. Of course, I went back to Dahlonega last year and I didn't recognize the place. it's getting over-developed.