PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else lose feeling in their toes while thru-hiking?

PJ 2005
01-18-2007, 16:26
I lost feeling in the outside half of both big toes... I first noticed this around Palmerton, but it didn't really affect my hiking, so I finished. A year and a half later, I still don't have full feeling back. It doesn't bother me. In fact, I hardly notice it. But just out of curiousity, has this happened to anyone else?

SalParadise
01-18-2007, 16:34
wow, I'm really surprised you'd still have numbness this long after. sounds like a good doctor question.

I didn't have feeling in my toes later in the hike and for some time after I was done, but that was all because of the amazing callouses I'd developed, which have since gone away.

But circulation sure ain't like a sore knee; I don't think we're the ones you should be asking.

Footslogger
01-18-2007, 16:38
Sure did ...in fact it affected all my toes. 3 years later and I still have "tingling" on the undersurface pads of my toes. I especially feel it when I'm standing in the shower and curl my toes under.

I've just gotten used to it and accepted it as a gift from the trail.

'Slogger

saimyoji
01-18-2007, 17:14
I used rented tux shoes that were too small when I attended a wedding 3 years ago. I figured since its only for a few hours, no big deal. To this day I still have no feeling in parts of the outside of my big toes. I guess its not a big deal if you don't care about feeling in your toes. Sure wish I had mine back. :o

Marta
01-18-2007, 17:23
Funny you should ask... I lost feeling in some toes. I finished hiking a week ago today, and the feeling has already returned. I did question some NOBOs about their feet, and most of them reported getting more or less back to normal within a few months.

Accolada
01-18-2007, 18:24
My hiking partner and I both lost partial feeling in our big toes from our thru-hike last year. Neither of us has regained all the feeling. Hoping we will someday, and I'm glad to know we're not alone.

anneandbenhike
01-18-2007, 18:42
I have been section hiking for several years, the longest hike being about 220 miles. After each of my longer sections, I experienced numbness on the outer part of both my big toes. There is still a small numb area on each of these toes but I don't even notice it. Small price to pay for my hiking...

Bloodroot
01-18-2007, 19:19
Same here, lost feeling in several toes, but regained after getting off the trail. I also lost several toenails during due to constant toe stubbings on rocks and tree roots.

PJ 2005
01-18-2007, 19:48
thanks for the responses! it's nice to know i'm not alone. i always assumed the feeling would come back eventually... i'll probably ask the doc next time see him.

weary
01-18-2007, 22:51
DelDoc, who thru hiked several times after retiring as a research physician, used to test thru hikers he met on the trail for loss of feeling in their toes. I forget his precise findings, but something like 65 percent of hikers he tested showed a lost of feeling in parts of their feet.

For most of us feeling returns after six months or so. Then I lost the feeling again when Prednisone for an artery inflamation triggered diabetes. I'm finally transitioning off the steroid and still hope the diabetes and the loss of feeling diminishes.

It's not a major problem, but be careful. I found it difficult, for instance, to tell if my foot was on the brake. As a result I had a couple of minor crashes (zero damage) but luckily no people were involved. People are more fragile and more suing inclined than bent license plates.

But it's something to be aware of. I've trained myself to be especially careful and no mishaps have happened since.

Weary

rafe
01-19-2007, 00:34
I don't think I've had numb toes exactly. But lately I've had this thing where a couple of toes on my left foot seem.... unduly attracted to one another. The result is that they rub together and create a burning sensation. The only fix seems to be to stop, remove the shoe, flex and caress the toes for a while, and resume walking -- until it happens again. This is a new malady, observed on my last hike. Not related to shoes (it happened on two completely different shoes.) Baby powder didn't help either.

RAT
01-19-2007, 00:56
I have had that problem too, but found that using boot lacing techniques to relieve pressure on certain parts of my feet help tremendously. Its worth looking into.

RAT

Whistler
01-19-2007, 01:41
I had some numbness/ tingling after 700 or so miles. It went away after 2-3 weeks. I still had full control, so it didn't worry me too much.
-Mark

hopefulhiker
01-19-2007, 09:20
Yeah I had that "Trail Tingle" too. But it has been a couple of years now and my feet have gone back to normal...