PDA

View Full Version : Shoes or Boots?

Socrates
01-18-2007, 16:39
I was gonna go with boots, but some guy told me that he wore shoes. What's the deal? and if shoes are ok, just trail shoes?

Ridge Rat
01-18-2007, 16:48
Most ultra-lighters lose the boots for Trail runners... there is no part of the trail that is bad enough that you need heavy duty hiking boots. I personally prefer having trail runners since I do the majority of my hiking in PA/NJ area with the rocky trails... Letting my ankles roll on the rocks actually prevents major high ankle injuries. But, use what you prefer.

EarlyBird2007
01-18-2007, 17:06
I was gonna go with boots, but some guy told me that he wore shoes. What's the deal? and if shoes are ok, just trail shoes?

I started training with New Balance trail runners. They were great for the easy sections near me in the Cumberland Valley. Then I tried them on a rocky section in northern PA near the 501 shelter. They trashed my feet and ankles. I have since gone to Asolo Fugitives, a lightweight composite boot. After @ 300 miles of shakedown hikes, I love them.

My suggestion - don't decide for sure to use trail runners until you've tried them on a tough rocky section and on downhills. But, you may be fine if you are younger than me and have stonger ankles. Try out the trail runners on a tough section to be sure.:D

Footslogger
01-18-2007, 17:17
My experience was similar to that of the previous poster.

I started off with boots (Asolos) and hiked them to Damascus. Switched over to trail runners but when I got to PA that pair of shoes was about dead and I was really feeling the rocks from the underside.

I went with a mid-high Montrail shoe and hiked it to Bear Mountain, NY. There I went back to trail runners and stayed in them until I switched over to my heavier clothing/gear in Glencliff, NH. Got my boots back there and hiked them through the Whites and to Katahdin.

If I had it to do all over again I think I'd try trail runners all the way. I'd just pick a pair that had a more rugged outsole and swap them out about every 500 - 600 miles. For me it wasn't the ankle issues it was the constant pounding on the bottoms of my feet.

'Slogger

Marta
01-18-2007, 17:19
I used trail runners. The owner of Aardvark Sports in PA suggested using two pairs of insoles in the rocky sections. Worked great.

-MYST-
01-18-2007, 17:35
Light weight shoes with an agressive tread for sure, hands down. I can hike 25% further in shoes than I can with boots over the same trails. Tested it out time and time again. I thru-hiked with shoes the whole way and would never even consider boots for a thru-hike.

Just like the runners you see training with weigts around their ankles, that is what a pair of boots are on your feet and as I am sure you already know when it comes to backpacking the less weight you are carrying the better.

-MYST-
the adventure continues.....

Johnny Swank
01-18-2007, 17:42
I comes down to personal preference and pack weight. I think what alot of folks find is that having wet boots on bites, and anything you wear is going to get wet eventually. Trail runners dry out faster, and are lighter on your feet, but typically have less underfoot protection. If the pack weight is under 30 pounds, I'd take trail runners in a heartbeat.

But what the hell do I know - I thru-hiked in a couple of pair of chacos :)

Socrates
01-18-2007, 18:17
So then mesh would be better than goretex because of breathability and drying time?

Footslogger
01-18-2007, 18:25
So then mesh would be better than goretex because of breathability and drying time?

============================

Yeah ...once a Gortex lined shoe/boot gets soaked it tends to stay soaked for a long time. The lighter weight mesh trail shoes get wet quicker but they also dry quicker.

The trick with the lighter weight mesh style shoes is to get a pair with a rugged outsole ...something like the NB 809's

'Slogger

Socrates
01-18-2007, 20:12
take a look at the "montrail hardrock" shoe... that one look any good?

Footslogger
01-18-2007, 20:17

===============================

I ordered a pair and sent them back. Campmor had them (might still) on sale. Decent shoe and definitely a stiff outsole ...but then I discovered the New Balance 908's ...also on sale (Sierra Trading Post). Much more comfortable upper with stiff outsole/good tread. Less expensive than the Montrails.

Liked them so much I bought 6 pair ...cuz I'm gearing up for another long distance hike !!

'Slogger

SalParadise
01-18-2007, 20:31
I hiked in boots with a heavy pack in 04 and with shoes and a light pack in 05. definitely liked the shoes better, but as said earlier, the lighter pack certainly played a part.

The shoes I hiked in were Merrell Mesa Ventilators. A popular choice two years ago. The multi-sport shoes you can get, at least from what I've seen, tend to have a heavier sole than the usual trail runners. So that might be more of an in-between to check out. I didn't have any major problems with the PA rocks.

One pair lasted me 350 miles and another pair lasted 1,500 miles, so maybe it's a crapshoot for their durability.

and shoes or boots, definitely don't pay the extra money for the Gore-Tex version. Even if water doesn't seep in, your feet are sweating enough to be wet, anyway.

nutlub
01-18-2007, 20:49
I used to be a sneaker hiking guy and then one day I wore boots...I have never gone back!

Bravo
01-18-2007, 21:53
Used to wear gor-tex boots. Then new balance shoes. Now I'm wearing chaco sandals. I guess it's only a matter of time before I'm barefoot.:D

If your packs not too heavy and you're ankles aren't weak then shoes or sandals is probably the way to go. Lighter, dries faster, breaks in faster, etc...

rafe
01-18-2007, 21:58
Lite Shoes are where it's at. :) But if I could find me a pair of Fabiano Trionics, I'd wear 'em.

handlebar
01-18-2007, 23:06
I hiked in heavy (4 lb + dry weight) LaSportiva Makalu's with about 500 miles on them when I started (including 100 miles cross country in the Arctic). They took me all the way to Franconia Notch (about 1500 additional miles or 2000 altogether). I then switched to a spare pair I'd found lightly used (less than 50 miles) on Ebay in a half size larger that I'd pre-broken in.

Pros: They fit my narrow feet very well, they provide good ankle support under my 40 lb load coming out of towns (often including 5 days food and 3 liters of H2O, my sense is they helped over some of the rocky sections, and they last (you'll go thru 3 to 5 pairs of trail shoes or runners) Cons: When they got wet they gained a couple of pounds and they took a lo-o-ong time to dry.

I tried to find a lighter hiker in non-Gortex, but they don't seem to be made. My feet sweat profusely and Goretex just doesn't breath well.

Go for footwear that fits you and that you're comfortable with.

Jim Adams
01-18-2007, 23:51
i used the NB in 2002 and liked them from Damascus to Pa. the rocks in Pa. bruised the bottoms of my feet too much but i stayed with a second pair of NB. BIG mistake in the Whites. I walked into Gorham with huge blisters on the bottoms of my feet in the soles due to all the rock walking. i switched back to light boots and had no problems to Katahdin.
geek

ps. used tevas for about 200 miles in the south but got major calf and knee pain from not enough arch!

hopefulhiker
01-19-2007, 10:17
I started out with Vasque Sundowners. I Even had two pair already broken in,intending to do the whole trail with boots. But in Damascus I switched to Montrail Hardrocks. It really made a difference for the better! I felt better, I could do more miles, and my feet were in better shape...
There are three downsides to trail shoes, one is that they get wet and your feet are wet, but they dry out quick and you just change socks. The other consideration is how strong your ankles are.. You ankles have to be strong.. Towards the end of the hike I was rolling my ankles at least once a day. But they were strong enough by that time that it didn't even phase me...
Finally you can't carry really big loads with trail runners.. I was carrying around 30 lbs or less on the Montrail Hard Rocks...

Jaybird
01-19-2007, 10:32

Good question, Socrates!

i, too, started with Vasque Sundowners...still hike in them...but, this year...i switch to Vasque "Velocity" Trail runners.

i'll be section-hikin' SNP Apr 25-May 6th...maybe i'll see u out there!:D

Survivor Dave
01-19-2007, 23:19
Due to a motorcycle fall, I am forced to wear hiking shoes.

Noooo problem. I have been using Merrell Pulse II(Low)for 6 months now, in some pretty rocky areas. Going South up Blood Mountain from Neels Gap is where I like to get a good workout for my 07 hike.

About $90, but I think it's worth it. Not Gore-Tex but they dry fast. They have the Mesa(Low) model as well. It's mesh but with the same pattern and Vibram sole as the Pulse IIs.

The way I see it, If you are going to get soaked, no Gore-Tex will dry faster, and why spend the extra cash!

Spent the extra cash on the "Supefeet" inserts. One pair is enough for the whole trek.

Hike On!!!!

Big Maguro

Canute
01-20-2007, 00:10
I fit people for boots/shoes at work. We go on the principle that ankle support starts from the bottom of the shoe. If you go with a low shoe, make sure it is trail worthy, it should not twist anywhere behind the ball of the foot.
You shouldn't be able to bend the shoe in on itself, your thumb should have a hard time depressing the sole in the forefoot, if it caves in easily, then you will feel the rocks and get stone bruised.

A taller boot is designed primarily to lash your heel back into the heel pocket, so that when you walk on steep terrain you heel does not slip up the back, and so that your toes don't push forward and ram the end of the shoe when going downhill.

Typically, if you are heavier, or carry a heavy load, I'd recommend a sturdy (but not too heavy) boot, If you are trim and can lighten your pack load, you can lighten your shoe. A backpacking boot should weigh between 2 and 4lbs. (ex. the Asolo FSN weighs about 2lbs. 13oz. in a size 9, and the Vasque Sundowner somewhere in the range of 3lb. 8oz in a size 9 )

jrwiesz
01-20-2007, 01:18
Start with what you originally planned to start with, but, have the possibility of different options. In reading many of the posts regarding footwear, it does appear that you will need at least more than one pair of footwear to complete your journey of the AT. I loved my North Face GTX Trek light boots when I used them with a relatively heavy pack[40+], and portaging canoes, on rocky terrain of Isle Royale. However, I also enjoy my NB 906's, when keeping it light. I just purchased these to see if I might reach an "in-between" compromise: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39209001
The price was great, and, in wearing them now for a few weeks, am seriously thinking of buying two more pair. Maybe one the same size and one a half size or full size larger. It all goes to how are your feet/ankles?
Anyway good luck, HYOH, and enjoy.

EarlyBird2007
01-22-2007, 11:41
as I have been getting ready for my thru this March. Trail runners work well in the flat easy sections, but not the steep and/or rocky ones. I've come to the conclusion that many of the young studs (and studettes) can do just fine with trail runners the whole way. But not old codgers like me. ;) I'm going with Asolo Fugitives.

i used the NB in 2002 and liked them from Damascus to Pa. the rocks in Pa. bruised the bottoms of my feet too much but i stayed with a second pair of NB. BIG mistake in the Whites. I walked into Gorham with huge blisters on the bottoms of my feet in the soles due to all the rock walking. i switched back to light boots and had no problems to Katahdin.
geek

ps. used tevas for about 200 miles in the south but got major calf and knee pain from not enough arch!

Canute
01-22-2007, 12:31
Good choice! Not too heavy but backpack worthy. If you want the same support but a bit lighter, the Asolo FSN fits similar but is almost a pound lighter per pair. I don't think you can lose with the Fugitives, so long as they feel good.:sun

SalParadise
01-22-2007, 14:39
Go for footwear that fits you and that you're comfortable with.

amen. for all the very knowledgeable debates us hikers can have on the shoes/boots topic, that's what it all really comes down to.

J Link NJ
01-23-2007, 01:44
i have a pretty heavy duty pair of boots that ill hike till they die. figured it would be better to have boots for the cold weather and possible snow storms. will probobly switch to a trail shoe along the way when boots wear out.

Socrates
01-23-2007, 03:50
Thanks for all the help from everyone!

stuco
01-24-2007, 17:10
I have cankles (Calf-ankles) so I think I can probably get away with shoes on any terrain. What do you folks think about that?

OntheRoad
01-24-2007, 17:16
I understand you are asking for opinions and that is what you are getting, but don't let anyone else decide for you. It's utimately up to you, and YOUR preferences.

With that said, I would say stick with a nice light boot because you stated that you originally wanted boots. I would look at a nice pair of breathable/non-waterproof lightweight boots if I were on the fence between shoes and boots like you are.

Canute
01-24-2007, 17:52
I have cankles (Calf-ankles) so I think I can probably get away with shoes on any terrain. What do you folks think about that?
Strong muscle/skeletal anatomy can certainly help. I've met a few people who had trouble with thick ankles wearing low shoes because it was hard to lace them in properly. If you put the shoes on, with a pack, and you find your heel riseing off the footbed, you may need a higher volume shoe.

stuco
01-24-2007, 18:16
Strong muscle/skeletal anatomy can certainly help. I've met a few people who had trouble with thick ankles wearing low shoes because it was hard to lace them in properly. If you put the shoes on, with a pack, and you find your heel riseing off the footbed, you may need a higher volume shoe.

I see what you mean, but generally I've had more issues with high rise boots/skates/skiboots etc because they are sized to fit regular ankles. With regular tennis shoes, I have no problems with heel lifting because of cankles.

Canute
01-24-2007, 18:40
The Garmont Eclipse and most North Face hikers are good low hikers with stiff shanks and a high volume. So long as your foot isn't narrow either.

Knees
01-24-2007, 18:52

I have somewhere around 4500mi of trail miles using Montrail Hardrocks and the green Superfeet inserts. I've carried somewhere around 40lbs wearing them with no problems, but I'd advise keeping things at 35lbs or less.

It's a personal choice, and all feet are different. With that said, the Montrail Hardrocks are wicked popular out on the trails right now.