PDA

View Full Version : Mail drops at hostels

guthook
01-18-2007, 17:44
If I'm planning on sending a lot of mail drops to hostels that I plan on stopping at, should I call/email them first to let them know to expect a package? I figure most hostels along the trail (especially those in the thru-hiker's companion) are used to getting maildrop packages for thru hikers, but you never know. And I wouldn't want to bother a hostel by calling them all and being the umpteenth person that day asking about maildrops.
What say you, knowledgable folk?

Johnny Swank
01-18-2007, 17:47
I'd call or email just as a courtesy and to make sure that the hostel is still, in fact, offering that service.

Jester2000
01-18-2007, 18:07
. . .and that they're still open. If you say something completely off the wall when you talk to/email them, they'll remember you when you get there.

Also, remember that plans change, and you might not end up staying there. If this happens (maybe, for example, your friends want to stay somewhere else and you want to stay with them) it's courteous to offer to pay the owner a few bucks for holding your package for you (that sounded kinda dirty. . .).