PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Shoes - Digital Camera

Penscal
07-05-2003, 13:50
Hiking shoes - no boots please - too heavy for what I hike with.

Suggestions on manufactuer/weight on lite-weight hiking shoes for Fall/Spring North Carolina/Georgia wear 8 1/2 shoe size in tennis sneakers.

Digital Camera -

Suggestions on quality new digital camera between $300.00 and $400.00 - weight, battery life, wide lens f/stop flexibility are key factors - continuos panoramic shot capability would be great too.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Peaks
07-05-2003, 16:15
What is important is not what others are wearing, but rather what fits your foot.

Suggest that you plan to spend some afternoon with a good hiking shoe fitter. Then you will learn what is best for your feet.

Penscal
07-05-2003, 18:45
Re: Hiking shoes:

thanks for comment:

Agree completely,

A good start though would be what works , what doesn't, I've researched internet, alot of folks makin' alot of claims, folks with on the ground experience (pun intended) of product is of more value than a salesman's pitch on product.

Same deal on digital camera question, have been looking at Hewlett Packard Photo Smart 850 digital 4.1 megapixal,
con:

Seems to be low ISO up to 200, would be a problem on AT given shade per time of year,

upside and downside...seems HP does not make the C20 digital anymore.

thanks

Peaks
07-06-2003, 08:44
Well, I can offer a few generalities.

First, the traditional heavy all leather hiking boot is out. You wouldn't see many thru-hikers with them. Those that do start with them change over to something lighter.

Second, trail running shoes, especially the New Balance 804, 805, or whatever the current model is is very popular, especailly among people going ultralight.

The trail running shoes don't last nearly as long as a good hiking shoe, and don't protect your feet like a good shoe does, especially in rocky areas.

Myself, I find that a good compromise is the leather and fabric top hiking shoe. Many good brands out there.

Finally, no substitute for talking with a good hiking shoe fitter at your local outfitter. They see it all.

Jeff
07-06-2003, 09:27
I agree with Peaks

What works for me are Lowa Tempest Lo's. These are 2 1/2 lb hiking shoes with a tough sole. The stiff sole really helped me in the rocky sections of the trail. Believe me, there are lots more rocky sections than smooth treadway!!!

I usually get 800-1000 miles per pair.

Dirtyoldman
07-06-2003, 09:30
I have a kodak dx-3900 which takes great pictures but doesnt have all the features you want.

Watch your batteries, many of the cameras I looked at required special ones - I ruled out any that didnt allow the use of aa's.

Papa Bear
07-06-2003, 12:19
Digital Camera

Check the new Olypmus waterproof (or "weatherproof" as they call it) model. It's the "Camedia Stylus 300" (3 Mpix) or "Camedia Stylus 400" (4 Mpix) I know it's light weight and has all the usual bells and whistles.

Here's a review: Olymplus Camedia Stylus 300 (http://www1.dealtime.com/xPR-Olympus_Camedia_Stylus_300~RD-94967074436)

If I were buying one today it would probably be this. I have a 1 year old Nikon Coolpix 775 which I like, but I wish it were waterproof.

Pb

Peaks
07-06-2003, 16:33
Originally posted by Jeff
I agree with Peaks

What works for me are Lowa Tempest Lo's. These are 2 1/2 lb hiking shoes with a tough sole. The stiff sole really helped me in the rocky sections of the trail. Believe me, there are lots more rocky sections than smooth treadway!!!

I usually get 800-1000 miles per pair.

I wasn't going to mention brand names. Certainly, I like the fit of a Lowa. But, the toe rubber tears up fast. I replaced mine with another brand that so far has stood up better than the Lowa, but the fit isn't quite as nice. I bought them because that was the closest thing the outfitter had in Waynesboro.