PDA

View Full Version : How Many People Have Thru Hiked the BMT?

Almost There
01-18-2007, 20:51
Something my buddies and I was wondering, and if anyone knows this, but how many people are thought to have thru-hiked the entire BMT to date?

Hammock Hanger
01-18-2007, 22:35
A number of us thru-hiked the BMT, until they added to it!! So if you thru-hiked the AT and they added to it would you still be a thru-hiker...???

Almost There
01-18-2007, 23:48
HH, not a fair comparison...the BMT used to be 93 miles...it's now 287 miles. They added twice the length of the original BMT. I would have to say if they increased the AT to 6600 miles...well, it all depends on what you think, but if I went by strict interpretation then no, you would no longer be a thru hiker of the current trail. We were talking about people who have thru'd the entire 287 miles.

Thinking about it though, can you imagine a 6600 mile AT?!?

Hammock Hanger
01-19-2007, 13:49
I saw a list somewhere.. It may have been on the BMT website. The list was short, very short. I'll see if I can find it again.

MOWGLI
01-19-2007, 13:53
I thru-hiked the entire trail in 2003. But as has been mentioned, the trail has been lengthened since then. I know SGT Rock plans to take the BMT from Springer to Davenport Gap next year - on his way to Katahdin. I hope he starts a trend.

Hammock Hanger
01-19-2007, 13:55
Stuart Tauber is listed as a Thru-hiker see: http://www.bmta.org/300-Milers.htm

Hammock Hanger
01-19-2007, 13:58
I...SGT Rock plans to take the BMT from Springer to Davenport Gap next year - on his way to Katahdin. I hope he starts a trend.

I can just hear the purist now... I can hear the debate now...

I think it is a great idea. As the trail in GA is the hardest hit and where the most hikers are at one time. Spreading out the herd a little would be a great thing.

Most hikers wouldn't like it even if it was sanctioned as there are very few shelters.

Almost There
01-19-2007, 14:31
I can just hear the purist now... I can hear the debate now...

I think it is a great idea. As the trail in GA is the hardest hit and where the most hikers are at one time. Spreading out the herd a little would be a great thing.

Most hikers wouldn't like it even if it was sanctioned as there are very few shelters.

...and no privies!!!! I think it's great and so that's why we're gonna do it, some of the info Rock has compiled will come in handy, he essentially has a mini data book that anyone can download, so now I just have to get my maps together..

Almost There
01-19-2007, 14:39
Wow, only one guy listed...granted, not everyone applies for thru hiker status that thru hikes...don't know if I will, but I still think it would be kinda cool to be one of the first to hike the complete trail all the way thru. I think this is a year I take a break away from the AT for my big hike and attempt something a little different and see how it goes.

Ramble~On
01-19-2007, 15:16
Page down a bit in the BMT threads and you'll see a thread started by Tha Wookie...it's a Poll of who has hiked the BMT...
You're not the first to ponder this on WB.

Almost There
01-19-2007, 15:23
Page down a bit in the BMT threads and you'll see a thread started by Tha Wookie...it's a Poll of who has hiked the BMT...
You're not the first to ponder this on WB.

I know this, I voted in the poll, but his wasn't thru hiker specific, his was simply..."who has spent time on the BMT". I was looking for a number relating to completing the entire trail since it's full completion.

MOWGLI
01-19-2007, 18:23
Enjoy! You'll find the hike considerably tougher than the AT between Springer & Davenport Gap. Especially the Smokies. Resupply is tougher too. But the challenge is part of the experience.

Almost There
01-19-2007, 21:13
Thanks Jeff!

That's part of it, I want to see if I am up for something like this...and I may just drive up to N. Ga to see what's available for resupplies at the little stores. I probably already know the answer to this, but can you ship yourself fuel cannisters? Jus trying to figure out if I can get up somewhere where I can get more if I carry two to start. I plan on a couple of food drops to augment resupply, from what I can tell this should work.

Rock's data guide is excellent from what I can tell...THANKS ROCK!!!! Now I just gotta get the maps and start going over them.

With two to three of us out there it should be an adventure...but as always...a fun one!

Tipi Walter
01-20-2007, 13:32
Stuart Tauber is listed as a Thru-hiker see: http://www.bmta.org/300-Milers.htm

Wow! I met Silverwing Stuart and his hiking companion Tulip(Joann)on Slickrock Creek after they got momentarily lost at the Stiffknee turn and we talked for a long time. They are good people.

I also met Matt from Atlanta on Sugar Mt who thruhiked the BMT last year, don't know the particulars. And of course Mr Parkay who just finished the whole trail.

Chaco Taco
01-23-2007, 11:29
Thanks Jeff!

That's part of it, I want to see if I am up for something like this...and I may just drive up to N. Ga to see what's available for resupplies at the little stores. I probably already know the answer to this, but can you ship yourself fuel cannisters? Jus trying to figure out if I can get up somewhere where I can get more if I carry two to start. I plan on a couple of food drops to augment resupply, from what I can tell this should work.

Rock's data guide is excellent from what I can tell...THANKS ROCK!!!! Now I just gotta get the maps and start going over them.

With two to three of us out there it should be an adventure...but as always...a fun one!

Hey Almost There, Little Bear said something about you guys thru hiking the BMT. I may join you guys for a leg of it. Looks like a great trip.

Hammock Hanger
01-23-2007, 17:50
There is a little store about day 2 out from Springer. Then there are a few restaurants day 4ish. There is a little store in the middle of nowhere in the middle section. There is a gas station a mile down the road from Hwy 76. I will have to go back to my notes to get the names. (We actually tied up cache here, before the hike.)

T-Dubs
02-07-2007, 19:55
I hope this trip comes off. I'd be interested in hearing about the supply points and other hike-related information. I think a nice walk would be Springer north to Davenport Gap, then back south along the AT. Maybe in a couple of years I'll have some time.

Tom

Hikerhead
02-07-2007, 20:11
Wow! I met Silverwing Stuart and his hiking companion Tulip(Joann)on Slickrock Creek after they got momentarily lost at the Stiffknee turn and we talked for a long time. They are good people.

I also met Matt from Atlanta on Sugar Mt who thruhiked the BMT last year, don't know the particulars. And of course Mr Parkay who just finished the whole trail.

You're right about Stuart. I met him at the BMT meeting last fall. He thru hiked the AT back in 1960. I've wondered how many thru hikers had completed the trail before him, 50 maybe?

It's good to know I wasn't the only one that had problems at that intersection.

Almost There
02-14-2007, 00:05
My hike may be up in the air this summer as my wife has been saying how she "WILL" see The Police this summer and wouldn't you know they just announced they will be at Bonnaroo this summer...smack dab in the middle of my hike!!! I'm am praying the tickets are too much, or else the only way my thru is gonna go off is if I take a few days in the middle to attend the festival and then hit the trail again. Worse problems to have for sure, but all the same I wanna make her happy.

Regardless, it looks like if the hike goes off I will not have anyone going thru with me, but rather a different guest star every week or two, so that could keep it fresh.