PDA

View Full Version : Weather? Bugs?

Froggy
01-18-2007, 21:24
It looks like I'll be unable to start at any reasonable time, and also that my first section will be limited to about six weeks, more or less, due to family issues and business.

When do the different sections of the AT have their bug seasons and their rainy seasons?

I can probably plan around these.

Many thanks!
Froggy

rafe
01-18-2007, 21:34
Speaking for new England: bugs peak in May/June and gradually diminish to where they're mostly a nuisuance by mid-August. Score another one for fall hiking.

Jim Adams
01-19-2007, 00:05
I had a bad bug night in Maryland near the Dahlgren Campground and at the Algro Shelter at Kent, Ct. Used some DEET and slept well. No other bug problems the whole way.
geek

RAT
01-19-2007, 00:10
It varies greatly depending on weather patterns and locations. With the recent warming trends there wil be more insects than normal. Just dont worry about them and enjoy your hike. Rule of thumb: If it's the least bit warm there will be bugs ;) but starting late spring they start getting worse and worse.

RAT

rafe
01-19-2007, 00:12
Bugs are found near water. Particularly swamps and marshes. I remember a bog north of Hanover near Holt's Ledge. Beautiful wild iris... and hellacious mosquitoes.

Blissful
01-19-2007, 00:18
In late June and early July the Whites can have nasty deerflies. We used to clock their arrival for "feeding". Out at 8 AM. Done at 10 AM. Out at 6 PM. Done at 8 pm.

RAT
01-19-2007, 00:23
Bugs are found near water.

True for some insects but not always. For ex: in the summertime, the top of Little Bald is covered with large black flies buzzing everywhere. The lower you go on your descent, the less there are and are hardly any at the bottom where the water is, there is no water on top. Just another viewpoint. And remember on drought years there are alot more skeeters than in wet years ;)

RAT

Lilred
01-19-2007, 16:48
hiked from Standing Indian thru the Smokies in the month of June. Not a problem from bugs at all. Rained quite a bit though.

Footslogger
01-19-2007, 16:53
In 2003 the rainy season was from the end of March to the end of September.

'Slogger

hammock engineer
01-19-2007, 17:02
I have a question related to this one, actually maybe the same question.

When do the bugs start to come out. I am starting mid-Marchish. I do not plan on starting out with bug protection.

When should I add my bug netting?

Up until then I will have a hammock sock that will enclose my hammock for warmth. I can use this for bugs, but aftere it gets too warm I do not want to use this.

Footslogger
01-19-2007, 17:05
I have a question related to this one, actually maybe the same question.

When do the bugs start to come out. I am starting mid-Marchish. I do not plan on starting out with bug protection.

When should I add my bug netting?

Up until then I will have a hammock sock that will enclose my hammock for warmth. I can use this for bugs, but aftere it gets too warm I do not want to use this.

===========================

Honestly ...by the time we climbed Tray Mountain in GA I was getting bitten by small black flies. If we have a wet Spring, as soon as the temps start to rise you'll have bugs. The more standing water there is the more and sooner you'll feel the effects of the skeeters.

Any more I just carry a super light weight headnet (WalMart $1.99) all the time and stick it in the side of my pack just in case.

'Slogger

Kerosene
01-19-2007, 20:14
Just do your section hikes in the Fall after the first frost and you won't have any problems with critters. I try to time my hikes for the change in colors, but that is somewhat hit-or-miss. It's glorious when you hit it, though.

rafe
01-19-2007, 21:15
Just do your section hikes in the Fall

.. there's a man who understands. :)

Trillium
01-19-2007, 23:00
Speaking for new England: bugs peak in May/June and gradually diminish to where they're mostly a nuisuance by mid-August. Score another one for fall hiking.my daughter & I set off from N Adams to Mt. Greylock on May 31 last year. didn't make because it was literally raining caterpillars and freaked my daughter out very badly.