PDA

View Full Version : Six Moon Lunar Solo $$$$$

stag3
01-18-2007, 23:02
First, I already have a HH, so no need to lecture here about the virtues of hanging. But, I need a 3 season tent for hiking above the tree line (No, I don't want to use the HH as a tent.)

The Lunar Solo looks great-nice size, vestibule, and best of all really light. But, $245 is a lot for a tent. So, my question is is this tent worth that kind of money? Or is there a "better" tent for about the same $$? My current tent is a Texsport--$29.99-so this is a big step up in $$$.

My concern is the Lunar is single wall and the fly looks like it is always about 10" off the ground - bad for blowing rain?

For this kind of $$, I don't want to make a mistake.

Stag3

rafe
01-18-2007, 23:14
So, my question is is this tent worth that kind of money? Or is there a "better" tent for about the same $$? My current tent is a Texsport--$29.99-so this is a big step up in $$$.

I have no experience with the Lunar Solo, but I do know a bit about Tarptents at this point, and they're quite competitive, price-wise. I've yet to hear a seriously negative comment about Tarptents from an owner (incl. myself.) A couple of dumb newbie mistakes when I first got it, quickly resolved w/excellent customer support.

Footslogger
01-18-2007, 23:18
I've owned and used the Lunar Solo-e for over 2 years now. As for its value ...I'd say it's worth what I paid for it.

If I was in the market for a solo tent today I'd either buy the Lunar Solo-e or the Tarptent Rainbow from Henry Shires. Ounce for ounce I consider those 2 tents to be the best in class. I'm in the planning stages of a PCT thru and I plan to carry the Lunar Solo-e.

If you have any specific questions about the Lunar Solo-e feel free to PM me.

'Slogger

DrewNC2005
01-19-2007, 11:28
Another vote for the Tarptents. With respect to price, the solo Tarptents (pretty much any model if I can remember correctly) are cheaper than the Lunar Solo-e.

**I have no experience with the Six Moon shelters so maybe the difference in price is worth it.

mountain squid
01-19-2007, 12:31
I have the Tarptent Virga and the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo. I like the Lunar Solo better. Since you sleep perpendicular to the pole, you can make better use of the interior space in the Lunar Solo. The very front of the vestibule might be 10" off the ground, but the sides of the tent are not.

The Virga, on the other hand, was probably exposed by about 10" on the sides. I don't recall having any problem with blowing rain in either tent, though. I did just notice, however, that the Virga is not listed on the product page of Tarptent.com. Not sure if he makes it anymore. Maybe the Contrail has replaced the Virga.

It is a little bit more expensive, but I think the Lunar Solo is worth it.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Footslogger
01-19-2007, 12:37
[quote=mountain squid;305985]I have the Tarptent Virga and the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo. I like the Lunar Solo better. Since you sleep perpendicular to the pole, you can make better use of the interior space in the Lunar Solo.
=============================

I agree with mountain squid that the side entry design allows for better use of space and (at least to me) is easier for entry/exit.

'Slogger

rafe
01-19-2007, 12:46
I agree with mountain squid that the side entry design allows for better use of space and (at least to me) is easier for entry/exit.

The Tarptent Rainbow has convenient side entry. Huge floorplan and lots of headroom also. With sewn-in floor, it's 32 oz. (a bit heavier than the Lunar Solo.) It can be set up in "freestanding" mode using two trekking poles instead of the four perimeter stakes.

Footslogger
01-19-2007, 13:09
The Tarptent Rainbow has convenient side entry. Huge floorplan and lots of headroom also. With sewn-in floor, it's 32 oz. (a bit heavier than the Lunar Solo.) It can be set up in "freestanding" mode using two trekking poles instead of the four perimeter stakes.

==============================

Very true ...and a key difference in the weight of the two tents is that the Lunar Solo-e uses a trekking pole which is not included in the reported tent weight while the Rainbow uses an arch pole and 18 inch cross bar which ARE included in the weight. Plus, the walls of the Rainbow are more vertical which probably offer a bit more actual inside space.

I own the Lunar Solo-e and and the Double Rainbow so I'm familiar with both designs. You can't go wrong with either of them.

'Slogger

vipahman
01-19-2007, 13:23
I own the Lunar Solo E, love it and would recommend it for anything but above treeline for 2 reasons:-
1. It's common to have less soil and more rocks above treeline. Hence you might not be able to pitch this tent with it's unusually large footprint for a solo tent.
2. It's more windy above treeline. With it's high pitch setting, you are more vulnerable to the wind and elements. If you go with the low pitch setting, then the single wall condensation and headroom issues start to crop up.

All in all, I think this tent is not as flexible above treeline as some would think. I would strongly recommend you go with a free standing tent.

Footslogger
01-19-2007, 13:26
I own the Lunar Solo E, love it and would recommend it for anything but above treeline for 2 reasons:-
1. It's common to have less soil and more rocks above treeline. Hence you might not be able to pitch this tent with it's unusually large footprint for a solo tent.
2. It's more windy above treeline. With it's high pitch setting, you are more vulnerable to the wind and elements. If you go with the low pitch setting, then the single wall condensation and headroom issues start to crop up.

All in all, I think this tent is not as flexible above treeline as some would think. I would strongly recommend you go with a free standing tent.

===============================

Good points. Have never used my Lunar Solo-e above tree line. Have pitched it where there was limited/no soil for stakes though. Used rocks to secure the lines and it worked well.

Guess if you're planning on a lot of above tree line, exposed camping that maybe the Rainbow might be the better choice then, because it can be set up as a free standing tent using your trekking poles.

'Slogger

vipahman
01-19-2007, 13:33
Check out this link for solo tents and check the description for "freestanding". http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=40000000226&storeId=226&categoryId=45752&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=250

Footslogger
01-19-2007, 13:44
Check out this link for solo tents and check the description for "freestanding". http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=40000000226&storeId=226&categoryId=45752&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=250

==============================

Good stuff ...but I am personally not going back to double walled tents for backpacking. Own several that we use for dump/car camping but just not interested/willing to pack them out any more.

'Slogger

Hana_Hanger
01-19-2007, 15:33
Another option is Brawny's Tarptent...
http://www.antigravitygear.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=254

I like how it is easier to get in and out of verses my Tarptent Squall. All the above mentioned are great tents of course.
But Tinman has the Tarptent on sale for $169 right now also.
Also there are some discussions here in the WB just search and you can read all the pros and cons about that tent as well.
I know I am in the minority when I say I dont like my Squall Classic because I have no comfortable room to sit up without hitting the top and I am only 5' 8"...but otherwise I love it.

Franco
01-19-2007, 19:09
Here are some of the great features of the Rainbow.
1) Very quick and easy to set-up, including keeping the inside dry under heavy rainfall
2) The total footprint, including the guyline is very small compared to the interior space
3) Most of the interior space is useable, steep walls
4) If you are under 7" tall, you can keep the pack inside
5) Can be set-up as a freestanding, or even use a pole on one side and the standard pegged down way for the other.
6) It does have enough space for pack and boots under the beak/vestibule.
7) Can be set up high or low depending on the weather and personal preference.
8) The floor space is closer to a double than the standard solo tent
BTW,the weight listed, 32oz, includes pole and stakes
Franco

Footslogger
01-19-2007, 19:21
Here are some of the great features of the Rainbow.

BTW,the weight listed, 32oz, includes pole and stakes

Franco

====================================

That's always been my hesitation. I like the fact that the Lunar Solo-e doesn't have/require any other poles. It's 23 oz plus the weight of 6 Ti stakes (at about 0.25 oz per stake) Nothing extra to carry since I"m already using trekking poles.

Aside from that I really like the Rainbow and think it's a great solo tent.

'Slogger

Kerosene
01-19-2007, 20:26
I love my Lunar Solo and Europa II. However, I do not have experience with the tent in very high winds, and pitching the Lunar correctly is somewhat of an art.

In the Whites I found that you pretty much had to go below treeline anyway to camp, in which case a hammock started to look a lot more flexible than trying to find a flat spot on all that rock.

rafe
01-19-2007, 20:38
In the Whites I found that you pretty much had to go below treeline anyway to camp, in which case a hammock started to look a lot more flexible than trying to find a flat spot on all that rock.

For sure, in the Whites a hammock could be extremely useful for stealth camping. Flat ground just doesn't seem to exist on the sides of those mountains (except maybe on the blue trails.)

socalhiker
01-26-2007, 00:19
Last fall I purchased a new light weight tent. I found the Lunar Solo very attractive but the new Contrail was also fascinating. There are several good features to both tents but the Contrail is lighter even with the pole compared to the Lunar Solo without the pole. The Lunar Solo is significantly more expensive in light of the some reviews at backpackergeartest that raise questions about the quality of the several Six Moon products versus the unanimous high praise for Tarptent products. But the real clincher for me was the response to my questions to customer service of both companies. Henry Shires responded promptly to my email but Six Moon ignored me altogether and never bothered to respond at all. This lack of response coupled with the unexplained much higher price for his product led me to go with the Tarptent Contrail.

Footslogger
01-26-2007, 10:38
[quote=stag3;305717]The Lunar Solo looks great-nice size, vestibule, and best of all really light. But, $245 is a lot for a tent. So, my question is is this tent worth that kind of money? Or is there a "better" tent for about the same $$?

========================================

Have owned the Lunar Solo-e for 2 years and consider it well worth the price paid. That said ...a solid competitor to the Lunar Solo is the Tarptent Rainbow from Henry Shires. A little heavier than the Lunar Solo because of the poles but a definitely a tent worth considering for $215

'Slogger

Tipper
01-26-2007, 15:55
I used a Lunar Solo for my '06 AT hike. Loved it, but there are limitations depending upon where you'll be using it. I agree that it has a large footprint. That said, I was able to tuck it into some small spaces. That compromised internal storage, but I was able to get a good night's sleep. If you use long stakes (12" easton) which I used, the fly will be raised about 8". Some splashing occurs in heavy rain. If that happens, just slide the nylon stake loop down to the ground. You risk condensation, but that's the price you pay with single wall tents, anyway. I also had a 28" wide sheet of spin-cloth that I would ususally use a a ground cloth in shelters. Inside the tent, I could cover my gear to shield it from errant rain splashes. Trying to tie it down on tent platforms was 'creative' but I had a system in place soon enough. Just needed extra lengths of cordage for the New England stretch. Having a free-standing tent would have been more convenient many-times, but for the weight savings I was able to do great, sleep great every night I set up my Lunar Solo.

socalhiker
01-27-2007, 01:01
Less than 24 hours after posting the message above on this board about my experience regarding the customer service response from Tarptent and Six Moon Designs, I received a response from Ron Moak, the owner of the latter, explaining his situation last fall and his availability to respond to email. He also explained in detail the pricing of his products and lack of any significant flexibility he has to the price of his products in comparison to the pricing of Tarptents. My post above was particularly negative about the pricing of SMD products. Mr. Moak’s response was not only satisfactory but impressive in it’s lack of defensiveness or rancor towards me for my post. Of course I am surprised and just a tad stunned at how off base my assumptions were. His response was both credible and sincere. I am humbled by the substance and tenor of his reply. Please take this as an apology to Mr. Moak regarding my negative comments. I am truly sorry that I publicly and so cavalierly questioned his integrity and reputation as a businessman. Sincerely, SoCalHiker

Froggy
01-27-2007, 11:55
Socalhiker wrote:
"...led me to go with the Tarptent Contrail."

So, how do you like the Contrail? Those two (Contrail and Lunar Solo) are on my short list.

Ewker
01-27-2007, 12:10
Less than 24 hours after posting the message above on this board about my experience regarding the customer service response from Tarptent and Six Moon Designs, I received a response from Ron Moak, the owner of the latter, explaining his situation last fall and his availability to respond to email. He also explained in detail the pricing of his products and lack of any significant flexibility he has to the price of his products in comparison to the pricing of Tarptents. My post above was particularly negative about the pricing of SMD products. Mr. Moak’s response was not only satisfactory but impressive in it’s lack of defensiveness or rancor towards me for my post. Of course I am surprised and just a tad stunned at how off base my assumptions were. His response was both credible and sincere. I am humbled by the substance and tenor of his reply. Please take this as an apology to Mr. Moak regarding my negative comments. I am truly sorry that I publicly and so cavalierly questioned his integrity and reputation as a businessman. Sincerely, SoCalHiker

interesting you don't hear from SMD until you post something negative about them :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

Kerosene
01-27-2007, 12:25
Trying to tie it down on tent platforms was 'creative' but I had a system in place soon enough.I had the opportunity to try to set up my Lunar Solo on a tent platform at Liberty Spring Campsite in the Whites. I got the tent to stand up (relying on extra cordage I had brought for the purpose), but I'm glad that there was no wind that day.

I did have to set up the tent in the middle of the trail late one night, and managed to squeeze in the setup pretty well. Of course, it would've been pretty difficult for someone to get by!

socalhiker
01-27-2007, 13:26
Froggy, I have only used the Contrail one night on a trip last fall intending to get a quick summit of Langley in. A storm came in, dumping snow at fairly fast rate so we bailed fearing our vehicle might get snowed in since the road is not plowed. The Contrail is super light weight and provides enough height to sit up in and enough room for all my gear. The weight is the primary consideration for me but I also desire some degree of comfort. It is also extremely simple to set-up and the one pole is near weightless and cost only $5.00 extra. I really look forward to using this tent on my future solo hikes.

Kerosene
01-27-2007, 14:06
...the one pole is near weightless...No such thing.