PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Thru Hopeful - Some Comments after lurking

L Tee
01-18-2007, 23:27
Why are there so many damn equipment options?!?! I know certain things work for better for certain people but is there not a list of items you can just go and buy that will make your pack 25-28lbs WITH food and water? Its GOTTA be that easy after all the people that have finished lol.
Do northerners hate southerners when they visit? if so im screwed..
From what I have read about training there needs to be more emphasis on cardiovascular health in combination with proper muscle strengeth. Because I think that is probably one of the reasons about 30% or more of the people who attempt drop out. I will post my weight training/running/swimming plan on here soon and see what you guys/girls think about it.
Its gotta feel really cool to know that as your walking the trail with 10-13 thru hopefuls you are going to be the only one statistically to finish, and then actually finish.
How many people have gotten the AT logo tattoo after they finished?
Why is this website so darn addicting?
I havent seen anything yet about first step jitters (i.e. getting over that weird feeling in your stomach before you actually make your first step). can someone point me to the right direction?
Hopefully in the coming year I can keep learning and make some solid final decisions on everything from gear to mpd's. Thanks for reading.
OH and dont worry you can be mean to me if I say something stupid, only way to learn my lesson :)

Frosty
01-18-2007, 23:32
From what I have read about training there needs to be more emphasis on cardiovascular health in combination with proper muscle strengeth.Mebby. Don't take tendons for granted. Your muscles can be strong and your wind superb, but it is the day after day grind that dies in knees/ankles/hips. Your tendons just aren't used to working so hard day after day, you've added 30 or so pounds to their workload, and downhill hiking magnifies force.

L Tee
01-18-2007, 23:37
thats another thing, does anyone take any Glucosamine/Chondroitin with them? Or what about pain killers?

rafe
01-18-2007, 23:44
From what I have read about training there needs to be more emphasis on cardiovascular health in combination with proper muscle strengeth. Because I think that is probably one of the reasons about 30% or more of the people who attempt drop out.

There are plenty of other reasons. It's as much of a mind game as a physical one. Granted, if you're in good physical shape, that part of the game is easier to play.

hammock engineer
01-18-2007, 23:47
I can't answer all of your questions, but I was in the same place a year and a half ago. Don't worry. Do your research before you buy anything and you'll be happy. Just remember people will post things that work really well for them and have the best intension. But they may not work for you.

Why are there so many damn equipment options?!?! I know certain things work for better for certain people but is there not a list of items you can just go and buy that will make your pack 25-28lbs WITH food and water? Its GOTTA be that easy after all the people that have finished lol.Where's the fun in that. Look at gear lists here and on trail journals. [/quote]

Do northerners hate southerners when they visit? if so im screwed.. I live in Cincinati 15 minutes away from KY. No one really cares. WE do joke about it though.

From what I have read about training there needs to be more emphasis on cardiovascular health in combination with proper muscle strengeth. Because I think that is probably one of the reasons about 30% or more of the people who attempt drop out. I will post my weight training/running/swimming plan on here soon and see what you guys/girls think about it. I hope not, I really need to get into better shape. I plan to start slow and listen to my body.

Its gotta feel really cool to know that as your walking the trail with 10-13 thru hopefuls you are going to be the only one statistically to finish, and then actually finish. I'll let you know when it happens.

How many people have gotten the AT logo tattoo after they finished? I don't know but when I finish there will be one more.

Why is this website so darn addicting? I don't know, I just go with it.

I havent seen anything yet about first step jitters (i.e. getting over that weird feeling in your stomach before you actually make your first step). can someone point me to the right direction? I have been doing some overnighters and day hikes. That helps me.

Hopefully in the coming year I can keep learning and make some solid final decisions on everything from gear to mpd's. Thanks for reading.

OH and dont worry you can be mean to me if I say something stupid, only way to learn my lesson :)

mambo_tango
01-18-2007, 23:48
I havent seen anything yet about first step jitters (i.e. getting over that weird feeling in your stomach before you actually make your first step). can someone point me to the right direction?

Ooh I know that feeling.. I get that whenever I do any hardcore whitewater rafting. I am practically green and very shaky.

Blissful
01-19-2007, 00:14
:welcome Glad you're here.

As for glucosomine, I take it or I would have knee pain whether I was hiking or not. It helps me a great deal. But you're young. You should be fine.

As for nerves, I'm already having them at six weeks before blast off. Waking up early trying to think of things I need to put on my lists, etc. And at times wondering WHAT am I getting myself into and can I go through with it? I know a lot of that nervous stuff goes away once you're out there. But I think the toughest time is right before you're ready to go.

Getting gear that's right for you can be a pain. My hubby still thinks I need a different pack (even though all the ones I've tried just haven't worked on my back. Like the GGs failed the test today). Buy your pack last. Get all your other gear. You'll get tons of advice on what to get. You'll send gear back or sell gear you don't like. Best bet is to make the best decision you can with the money you have, take it out and see if you like it. And buy from places that are easy returns. Like REI or backcountry.com. Or Sierra Trading Post. Campmor is also good on returns less than a year old.

Make sure though you do hikes. Day hikes. Backpack weekends. Get out there and sample the hiker life. Sample parts of the AT on your vacations. Try your gear. It makes things go much better and gives you an idea what to expect. We have been out there in sleet, lightning above the rdigeline, extreme heat, snowy trails, wind, etc. I think of these all as good lessons learned before the real thing.

Kerosene
01-19-2007, 20:19
I havent seen anything yet about first step jitters (i.e. getting over that weird feeling in your stomach before you actually make your first step). can someone point me to the right direction?North, following the white blazes (assuming you're starting from Springer!) :D

L Tee
01-19-2007, 21:38
haha touche

Gray Blazer
01-19-2007, 22:00
General Lee lived a few years after the war and was generally admired and respected in the north, especially by union soldiers, although he applied for official amnesty after the war and was refused by President Johnson, the only other president to be impeached. Lee became president of Washington College, now Washington and Lee. You should be alright up north especially with the good reputation for your name provided by the Dukes of Hazzard, who BTW appear to be appalachian, well Uncle Jesse and Cletus anyway.

Gray Blazer
01-19-2007, 22:33
So sorry. I forgot to mention the same would not be true if you were running around southern appalachia calling yourself General Sherman.

4eyedbuzzard
01-19-2007, 23:26
Do northerners hate southerners when they visit? if so im screwed.
Just part with plenty of those Orlando Disney Dollars here in New Hampshire and we'll forget you're a flatlander(well kind of);)

From what I have read about training there needs to be more emphasis on cardiovascular health in combination with proper muscle strengeth. Because I think that is probably one of the reasons about 30% or more of the people who attempt drop out.

About 90% drop out. Most just find life on the trail to be more than they bargained for. Wet, cold, tired, sore, day after day wears on a person. More thru-hikers drop out for psychological reasons than for physiological ones. Some get injured, some run out of money, and so on. Being in good cardiovascular health is a big plus, but even the most well conditioned athlete could get injured on a rock or root day one. Add to that the wear and tear on tendons, ligaments, joints, etc. Nothing you do in a gym will prepare you for what your feet and knees are going to go through on the AT.

L Tee
01-20-2007, 11:17
Yeah the 30% part was geared more towards out of the 90% who dropout im sure 30% drop out just be cause they arent in shape. So im trying to give myself some better odds. Id take 2 to 1 odds over 3 to 1 any day lol.

And im so sick of disney lol, I live about a mile from Sea World and have to deal with tourists and their driving every day. I go to the Rosen School of Hospitality Management (Top 5 in the nation if I might add) and all we learn about is freakin disney because half the teachers that teach there practically started disney. So if I run into any disney dollars ill hook you up haha.

Oh and Gray Blazer its a good thing me and the general have something in common. We are both bad asses, and we are both good Southern Gentlemen. So I dont think I will have too much trouble.

hopefulhiker
01-20-2007, 17:09
Start taking bunches of glucosomine now.. Read Risk's book "My wildly succesful hike"

Also carry lots of ibuprophren.. Several doctors told me that I could take up to 1600mg a day.. (take it at night to prevent inflamation)

L Tee
01-20-2007, 19:22
yeah i started taking it last month because I run anywhere from 15-30 miles a week sometimes more so I gotta take that stuff regularly. I wish the bottles werent so heavy. mail drops i guess.

TurkeyBacon
01-21-2007, 13:55
Why are there so many damn equipment options?!?!
Chill out about the gear. Regardless of how well you prepair, you will most likely replace a lot of stuff, so be smart and start off with what your gut reaction tells you, because your gut reaction will most definately tell you something else once on the trail.
Do northerners hate southerners when they visit? if so im screwed..
New yorkers (some, not all) can be crabby but they tend to be crabby to other yankee's as well. Other than that, most people around the trail are very freindly regarless of who your are.
From what I have read about training there needs to be more emphasis on cardiovascular health in combination with proper muscle strengeth.
IMO this is an other relax situation. Unless you are completely out of shape or you are a shape, then get to a good baseline. One of the fortunate things about starting in early spring is shorter days prevent you from going too far. Start off slow and build up. I think your percentage may be off. People quit early because they have no clue what they are getting themselves into. You WILL suffer the ENTIRE trail. Get used to the idea.
Its gotta feel really cool to know that as your walking the trail with 10-13 thru hopefuls you are going to be the only one statistically to finish, and then actually finish.
I realy didn't see it that way. Statistically everyone finnishes, just not everyone finnishes on top of Katahdin. Regardless of when you finnish, it should be a joyous event as most people never even try (unless you quit on the approach trail).
How many people have gotten the AT logo tattoo after they finished?
Count me in... I got one.
I havent seen anything yet about first step jitters
I was fortunate (if you can call it that) that my bus trip was such a horrific experience that I had no jitters, I was that happy to get off the bus that I didn't care what I was about to start, just as long as it did not involve a Greyhound bus. Other than that I agree with a previous comment... North, just walk now.
Hopefully in the coming year I can keep learning and make some solid final decisions on everything from gear to mpd's.
Take your time... have fun...
TB

Vi+
01-21-2007, 14:50
You ask, “Do northerners hate southerners when they visit?”

I have a friend from South Carolina - he’s happy to tell you - who says, he’d been in the Army for four years before he learned “damn Yankee” wasn’t one word. The North doesn’t have a comparable term.

You’ve chosen to be “Southern By The Grace of God.” I’m unaware of such a sentiment in the North.

Your chosen nickname is “General Lee” I haven’t read of anyone using a Northern Army nickname.

I was born in the North. I moved to the South to attend the first grade, where I was proven wrong in thinking the war was over. I had to defend the North in school for years.

I’ve lived in the Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, and Southwest. I’ve worked in 49 of our states, and recreated in most. People outside the South enjoy the sound of a Southern accent. I’ve learned a gentleman is a gentleman everywhere, but the self proclaimed “Southern Gentleman” usually fails when put to the test.

At the end of the U.S. Civil War, the South lost. Some still can’t get over it; they live in the South.

Outside the South, the Civil War doesn't stir much passion. Adjust your thinking and you will do fine everywhere.

Gray Blazer
01-21-2007, 14:54
You ask, “Do northerners hate southerners when they visit?”

I have a friend from South Carolina - he’s happy to tell you - who says, he’d been in the Army for four years before he learned “damn Yankee” wasn’t one word. The North doesn’t have a comparable term.

You’ve chosen to be “Southern By The Grace of God.” I’m unaware of such a sentiment in the North.

Your chosen nickname is “General Lee” I haven’t read of anyone using a Northern Army nickname.

I was born in the North. I moved to the South to attend the first grade, where I was proven wrong in thinking the war was over. I had to defend the North in school for years.

I’ve lived in the Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, and Southwest. I’ve worked in 49 of our states, and recreated in most. People outside the South enjoy the sound of a Southern accent. I’ve learned a gentleman is a gentleman everywhere, but the self proclaimed “Southern Gentleman” usually fails when put to the test.

At the end of the U.S. Civil War, the South lost. Some still can’t get over it; they live in the South.

Outside the South, the Civil War doesn't stir much passion. Adjust your thinking and you will do fine everywhere.Who's obsessed with the civil war and north and south here.:D

TurkeyBacon
01-21-2007, 17:20
Grey Blazer et al...
This could be a topic all on its own, but lets not make it that as its been done many times already. You appear to be a born and raised southerner so I'm not sure if you can appreciate the situation. Northern/midwestern/western-born-living-in-the-south recognize it more. Vi+ did a very good job wording his responce and as a person born in Illinois but living in NC, I agree with it.
TB

troglobil
01-21-2007, 18:23
I was born in the North. I moved to the South to attend the first grade, .
That must have been one good first grade to move for it!

Gray Blazer
01-21-2007, 19:41
Grey Blazer et al...
This could be a topic all on its own, but lets not make it that as its been done many times already. You appear to be a born and raised southerner so I'm not sure if you can appreciate the situation. Northern/midwestern/western-born-living-in-the-south recognize it more. Vi+ did a very good job wording his responce and as a person born in Illinois but living in NC, I agree with it.
TBJust havin' some fun. Looks like we're pushin' some yankee buttons. Just kiddin'.:D I'm an American. what are you? WSB Welcome South Brother.

Vi+
01-21-2007, 20:32
Troglobil,

Referring to my statement (Post #7), “I was born in the North. I moved to the South to attend the first grade ...”, you observed (Post #20), “That must have been one good first grade to move for it!”

Yeah, in the North I would have waited years before I was able to take auto mechanics. ; - )

My statement was a bit awkward. Must have been my education. He, he, he. I’m on a roll, now.

I went to a small school. There were only three girls in my fourth grade class; a brunette, a blonde, and a redhead. Do you know which one had the largest breasts?

The blonde.

She was 18.

smokymtnsteve
01-21-2007, 21:22
do not make fun of my first wife....:eek:

L Tee
01-21-2007, 21:44
hahahaha, hey I got my HS Education in Georgia, we were only the 3rd dumbest state in the Nation. All I can say is thank God for Mississippi and Alabama.

Oh and its not as much the South cant let go of the fact that we lost the war its the way of life that many wish was still there. (And no I do not mean slavery). Back when the south was the south and Florida wasnt considered the North and Atlanta was practically the heart of the South, now I only go into Atlanta when I have too. And if you are REALLY a southerner you wont be able to let go of the war lol, its just ingraned in our minds to be sore losers :)

And about my comments about why are there so many options?!?! I didnt mean it in a negative way I just wish things were just easier to chose. Although I play golf and I guess a non-golfer would be overwhelmed by the choices in an Edwin Watts if they came in knowing relatively nothing. Im sure in a year or so when its time to start getting serious about buying everything I will have a pretty good grasp on what I should get.

Im guessing carrying a rebel flag with me on my hike is a bad idea? lol

Gray Blazer
01-21-2007, 21:48
Im guessing carrying a rebel flag with me on my hike is a bad idea? lol
Carry a picture of Daisy Duke!:D

weary
01-21-2007, 23:03
....Im guessing carrying a rebel flag with me on my hike is a bad idea? lol
Carry a rebel flag if you want. People in the south will appreciate it. Almost no one in the north will notice. It's what you say and do on the trail, not what you carry that matters.

Blue Jay
01-22-2007, 00:18
I asked around and all of the Northerners around here (upstate NY) really like southerners because you guys are friendly. Most of us are not, so it's nice for a change.

oldfivetango
01-22-2007, 11:23
Who's obsessed with the civil war and north and south here.:D

To be honest-those of us born in the South are
just poor losers.Although we agree intellectually
that the preservation of the Union was a true blessing
in that we lost-WE JUST CAN'T STAND TO BE ON THE LOSING
SIDE OF ANYTING S00000000 WE CAME UP WITH SOUTHEASTERN
CONFERENCE FOOOOOTTTTBAALLLLLLLL! GO YOU HAIRY DAWGS!!:D
Sorry to prattle on so-but now you know.
Cheers,
OFT

Gray Blazer
01-22-2007, 12:09
To be honest-those of us born in the South are
just poor losers.Although we agree intellectually
that the preservation of the Union was a true blessing
in that we lost-WE JUST CAN'T STAND TO BE ON THE LOSING
SIDE OF ANYTING S00000000 WE CAME UP WITH SOUTHEASTERN
CONFERENCE FOOOOOTTTTBAALLLLLLLL! GO YOU HAIRY DAWGS!!:D
Sorry to prattle on so-but now you know.
Cheers,
OFTAs I said before, I'm an American, what are you? I promised never to bring up football again until somebody else brought it up. I know Volunteers minds are at ease today knowing their boy, Peyton Manning, is going to the superbowl. Did anybody else notice the irony that he is facing a quarteback from a team that he could not beat while in college at TN? To those of you who may be lurking, this is AT related because I can never wear my Gator clothes on the AT in TN w/o receiving a hard time from Volunteer fans. Commodore fans leave me alone and really never identify themselves.

L Tee
01-22-2007, 13:07
Haha I went to a Gator vs. Tenn game two years ago AT Tennessee and man was that a miserable day! Probably the toughest fans in the SEC and by toughest I mean the meanest lol. But I did learn my lesson not to wear my orange and blue in the state of tennesee again! It is also trail related because the trail passes through 2 SEC states.

Its great to be a Florida Gator :)

Gadog430
01-22-2007, 13:54
I went to the GA-TN game two years ago, in Knoxville, sat the in the TN section, WORE MY GLORIOUS RED & BLACK and watched our guys stomp their rears.

Beat me up if you want, I'm still rooting for my guys. GO DAWGS!!!! The SEC is the toughest conference in the NATION.

DAWGS RULE!!! And no...the war is never over. I moved to SC just to be near where it all started (I am definitely pulling your leg).

With regards to your hike fears & your concerns...relax and just go do it. Every other fear and anxiety will fall into place and melt away. There is no trading experience and just finding out what works best for you...because that is different for every single person.

Dawg :banana

Haha I went to a Gator vs. Tenn game two years ago AT Tennessee and man was that a miserable day! Probably the toughest fans in the SEC and by toughest I mean the meanest lol. But I did learn my lesson not to wear my orange and blue in the state of tennesee again! It is also trail related because the trail passes through 2 SEC states.

Its great to be a Florida Gator :)

Newb
01-22-2007, 14:39
[/list]I live in Cincinati 15 minutes away from KY. No one really cares. WE do joke about it though.
[/list][quote]

You know...Kentucky isn't really a Southern State. Kentucky was neutral during the war of Yankee aggression. They don't get to join the club now. Neither does West Virginia. They can't claim southern status either. So there. :bse

Gadog430
01-22-2007, 14:46
You also forgot to state for the record that Virginia is ours. Not the North's. They didn't have it then, and we aren't giving it up now. Even though to some it looks like it has crossed over. It hasn't.

Dawg

[/list]I live in Cincinati 15 minutes away from KY. No one really cares. WE do joke about it though.
[/list][quote]

You know...Kentucky isn't really a Southern State. Kentucky was neutral during the war of Yankee aggression. They don't get to join the club now. Neither does West Virginia. They can't claim southern status either. So there. :bse

Vi+
01-22-2007, 15:18
I’m reminded of something which I may not recall accurately, so help would be appreciated.

A phrase was (is?) used in the South, a euphemism. I have a hazy recollection of “Southern Ladies” referring to the U.S. Civil War as something like, “The Recent Unpleasantness.”

I remain quite taken with that bit of Southern Charm.

This is trail related; memorizing the correct phrase just might save some northern hikers grief.

I would appreciate confirmation or correction of the phrase. Thanks.

oldfivetango
01-22-2007, 15:45
I asked around and all of the Northerners around here (upstate NY) really like southerners because you guys are friendly. Most of us are not, so it's nice for a change.

Keep in mind that while we may appear friendly we
have this little quirk that we sometimes use(like about
everyday) to say whatever hurtful comment about someone
that we can muster.And that comment is "Bless his/her heart!"
i.e. "That Oldfivetango,bless his heart,ain't he got two of the
ugliest little bowed legs you ever saw?"or something to that effect.
Usually we won't say it to your face,just behind your back.Note:
when some southerner says something rude or abusive to you
unprovoked you might want to back off cause he could be a
psycho.But anyway,I digress as I think this thread was about so
many choices of what to carry etc.I have a pat answer to that-
take whatever you can comfortably carry!I look at some of these ultra
light guys lists and wonder how anyone can live out there like that.
Maybe they could in the dead of summer,but an early spring start with
the possibility of snow appears to be suicidal with some of the lists I see.
I am heartened to see so many photos of folks with gear and packs that
appear to be as heavy and awkward as mine.Now that MRS Tango has
elected to go for a test stroll I am going to put my old pack on her
and most likely try a Luxurylite for the old man-it's supposed to be
waterproof and the cylindrical bags seem to offer some sort of
compartmentalization of sorts but I bet the old vertical pockets will
be missed.
Good luck General Lee.
Oldfivetango

L Tee
01-22-2007, 17:46
Haha and Im sure stuff like: Aint, Yonder, Yall, Fixentoo (Fixing to), Boutoo (About to), etc. gets under every northerners skin lol.

Im not as worried about the weight of my pack because I dont really do anything except for go to school and workout/run/swim. So a 30lbs pack isnt going to kill me but Im certain there will be things that Im gonna part with as I move along as Ive read so many times in many peoples posts and journals.

Oh and to the reference to "The Recent Unpleasantness" it was a term used among Southerners in reference to the civil war after it was over. Although it goes by many names: The American Civil War, War of Northern Aggression, The War of Southern Seccession, The War between the States, the Second American Revolution and a few others. I dont really know what the Northerners referred to it as but my personal favorite is the War of Northern Aggression :)

Lilred
01-22-2007, 18:47
"Do northerner's hate southerner's?"

Not that I'm aware of. Like Vi+ aptly put it, northerner's just don't think about it. Ask anyone up north who a Yankee is, and they'll tell you it's someone that plays baseball in N.Y. The other definition probably wouldn't even cross their minds.

brotheral
01-22-2007, 19:59
March issue of Backpacker Magazine has something on page 144 that may be of interest to you.....