PDA

View Full Version : Compass Decision

NorCal
01-19-2007, 01:56
I am in the process of buying a new, and better compass for the upcoming fall season in the Pacific Northwest. I have been using the older Silva baseplate model but it has developed bubbles and lots of wear. I spend a lot of time in the wilderness areas in the Klamath National Forest and Marble Mountains (where I live, in Northern Ca.) wilderness areas. It is rough terrain, high elevation, and often you can only see peaks or work the ridgelines. I use a GPS, but want to go to a better compass to use in conjunction as I also spend time in the high mountains of Colorado in the fall / winter. Besides, the GPS compass will give a bearing, but is not real accurate when walking. The models I am considering is the classic Silva Ranger 15 or the new Brunton 8099. Can anyone advise me on the pros / cons? The Brunton I have only seen, but not had a chance to really play with to make any determination vs. the Silva.

Sly
01-19-2007, 02:12
I can't help with the compass but I've been to Fort Jones, spent the night there in the small motel. Neat place, in a great area.

unl1988
01-19-2007, 09:38
Just the facts . . .

Never have used a Brunton compass, but, it weighs an ounce more than the ranger and looks a little bulkier. Both compasses are designed to shoot azimuths, if that is what you are looking for. I have used a Ranger a lot, and found that I rarely used the mirror for shooting an exact azimuth, I ended up using it for shaving and contact lense stuff.

The brunton goes away from the traditional magnetic needle, design, so if your used to working with a needle, you might be more comfortable with the Ranger. The Ranger looks to be about 20 dollars cheaper, if that is a decision criteria.

Peaks
01-19-2007, 09:44
Except for orienteering, all that I've ever used is the basic $10 compass with base plate. Light and cheap.

Fiddler
01-19-2007, 11:43
All I've ever used is the Ranger 15 so I can't compare it to the Brunton. But I can't think of any way the Silva Ranger could be improved.

highway
01-19-2007, 13:38
The Ranger is heavy, at almost 3 ounces and you really may not need sighting mirror.

An extremely good baseplate compass is a Suunto M3D, weighing 1.44 oz.

But what are you really going to use it for and are you proficient enough to need it. For most applications a simple Marbles compass is more than enough:

http://www.framon.com/franks/compass.htm

The pocket version weighs 0.8 oz. and has been an American classic for...who knows how long. Teddy Roosevelt used one, as well as Admiral Byrd, and they needed a compass much more than any of us will. You cannot survey with one...but why tote the complicated peripherals of a compass if you don't require them and are not going to use them.

rhjanes
01-19-2007, 14:33
Since you are used to the Silva, stick with it (a new one). I've got a Suunto also. Also a good base-plate/orienteering/point to point type compass.

oh, the bubbles. Common problem due to heat. might also have leaked out some of the oil (fluid dampening). Unless more than maybe half of it is gone, the compass won't really be affected. Just slower to stop swinging.

bulldog49
01-19-2007, 16:31
The Ranger is heavy, at almost 3 ounces and you really may not need sighting mirror.

An extremely good baseplate compass is a Suunto M3D, weighing 1.44 oz.

But what are you really going to use it for and are you proficient enough to need it. For most applications a simple Marbles compass is more than enough:

http://www.framon.com/franks/compass.htm

The pocket version weighs 0.8 oz. and has been an American classic for...who knows how long. Teddy Roosevelt used one, as well as Admiral Byrd, and they needed a compass much more than any of us will. You cannot survey with one...but why tote the complicated peripherals of a compass if you don't require them and are not going to use them.

I never take advice from anyone who makes a decision on one piece of gear over another becaue of 1.5 oz. It's a factor to consider but hardly the deciding factor. I guess he would recommend wearing a pair of shoes that don't fit over wearing a pair that do fit but weigh an oz more.

:rolleyes:

NorCal
01-19-2007, 16:36
Thanks for the response so far. It sounds like no one has any experience with the Brunton 8099, but the Silva has a good following and excellent performance. Weight is not an issue with me as I am only carrying items required for big game hunting in the fall and winter so an ounce or two difference does not matter. This is not to say that I don't spend time in the woods other than hunting, which I do. Travel into wilderness areas is generally only a few miles on foot or horseback. A sighting compass often helps as you are in heavy woods and get looks at refernce points from higher vantages, then work my way up or down from there. The Silva Ranger is not as easy to use for direct mapwork as a baseplate, but will get the job done just as well. My interest in the Brunton was based on the new concept of "circle in a circle" navigation plus a bit more baseplate to work with for options. The $'s is not a big deal as it a long term investment and I want both performance and quality for the money spent. I have two older Silva's that I have been very happy with, so it just may be a Ranger for me. Thanks for the info to date.

rhjanes
01-19-2007, 17:22
Big-game? do you also know that compass's are set up to work (accuratly) only in certain geographical area? I'm not talking magnetic declination. I mean, if you are big-game hunting up in Northern Alaska, that is a different compass than in the lower 48, different than in Africa etc. Get one when you get there....

highway
01-19-2007, 18:33
I never take advice from anyone who makes a decision on one piece of gear over another becaue of 1.5 oz. It's a factor to consider but hardly the deciding factor. I guess he would recommend wearing a pair of shoes that don't fit over wearing a pair that do fit but weigh an oz more.

:rolleyes:

I am somewhat disappointed at your particularly crude response to my valid answer to the original question. I am curious to know if you found any other part of the answer, other than the weight, to be offensive to your sensibilities.

Perhaps the space you used on the thread would have been better served by your providing a response to the question from your experience, rather than berating an answer to it.:(

dloome
01-19-2007, 20:49
I'll comment that the Brunton "circle-over-circle" system is great, and I'd highly reccomend it. I think it's faster and easier to read, and I definitely correct myself more accurately when back sighting than with a traditional system. I do a fair amount of cross country and off trail hiking in Coconino National Forest in AZ, and since switching to the Brunton I've noticed a definite increase in my accuracy. I have the 8097, love it.

Two Speed
01-19-2007, 20:58
If accuracy and durability are your primary concern I'd recommend the Suunto KB-14 (http://www.suunto.com/suunto/main/product_long.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=1013419867394 0088&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=9852723697223383&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442490195&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395903525&bmUID=1169254413038) or a similar model. Downside: heavy and pricey.

NorCal
01-19-2007, 23:20
I am aware of the declination issue based on location and that is not a factor in this case. When I refer to big game, I am talking Elk in Northern California, Oregon, and Colorado along with mule deer. I never could figure out what the big deal was about going to a place like Africa and shooting big / dangerous game. I like to eat what I take and I don't hink some of the stuff they have there interests me. Well, I think I have a good idea and direction to go based on responses. Clearly the baseplates are map oriented but the sighting is more in line. I appreciate the response back on the user who has the 8097 and his comments.

Vi+
01-20-2007, 16:51
NorCal,

You advise in your initiating post (#1), "I use a GPS, but want to go to a better compass to use in conjunction as I also spend time in the high mountains of Colorado in the fall / winter. Besides, the GPS compass will give a bearing ...”

Given your use of the GPS, I presume you are also carrying maps. I may misunderstand but it seems your baseplate compass isn’t providing you the “walking” information you’d like. If my assumptions are correct, have you tried the old WWII military surplus compass? There have been a bunch of them offered on eBay.

I’ve found, when walking and not needing map accuracy, the surplus military pocket compass works surprisingly well. The needle returns to the same marking every time, and settles quickly. There are numerous degree markings, for accuracy, yet the card remains easily readable.

If I was really using a map, and could only carry one compass, it would be a baseplate compass. A pocket compass doesn’t offer the accuracy of a map and baseplate compass together, but if you already have that accuracy, in whatever form, and want something to keep you on track between readings, the pocket compass is much faster and more user friendly.