PDA

View Full Version : Best digital camera for a thru?

Rufous Sided Towhee
01-19-2007, 13:48
I'm looking for suggestions on choosing a new digital camera. My old Canon Powershot Elph is getting older, the battery is fatigued and it's just too heavy (7 ounces w/battery) to take on a long-distance hike. I'm not really a photography buff as far as being picky about lenses and resolutions and all that, just like taking a lot of snapshots.

Here are my criteria: It must be:

extremely lightweight (less than 4 oz)
rugged
have a self-timer
under $400

Any suggestions?

hammock engineer
01-19-2007, 13:57
This will take you over 4oz, but consider ones that take standard AA or AAA. That way you will not have to worry about charging the batteries or weight/care of the charger.

I carry a heavy 10+ oz cannon A610. Yes it's heavy but it takes 4AA batteries. I have taken over 600 pics on the same set of Lituims.

maxNcathy
01-19-2007, 13:59
I just ordered a Canon A430. great review.

otterman
01-19-2007, 14:05
You'll find other threads on this, but this is my two cents. I just got a Fuji F30. It is just over your weight limit. Weighs 5 oz. It takes great picture and I've been able to print great 8x10's. It has a lot of simple features that will help you take great pictures. The ISO goes up to 3200 which means you can take great low light pictures. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have a viewfinder. Just the LCD display. I bought it at Adorama for $209 after a $50 rebate. The rebate is good until Jauary 31. Oh yeah, it has a solid metal body. Check out dpreview.com to compare the features of a lot of cameras.

otterman
01-19-2007, 14:08
I forgot to mention in my previous post. The battery life is impressive. Among the best in that class of camera. I'm at somewhere aroung 300 pictures on the first charge and there is not sign of needing a charge.

Footslogger
01-19-2007, 14:11
If I was buying one tomorrow I'd probably get the Olympus Stylus Waterproof model 720SW.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1225&fl=4

Was in Staples the other night handling the latest models and really think that is the way to go. Shockproof, waterproof, small ...

Only thing I don't particularly care for is the proprietary Lithium Ion battery. If that sucker used AA's it would be my hands down favorite.

'Slogger

EarlyBird2007
01-19-2007, 14:14
I'm looking for suggestions on choosing a new digital camera. My old Canon Powershot Elph is getting older, the battery is fatigued and it's just too heavy (7 ounces w/battery) to take on a long-distance hike. I'm not really a photography buff as far as being picky about lenses and resolutions and all that, just like taking a lot of snapshots.

Any suggestions?

I just bought an Olympus Stylus 710 for my 2007 thru. 7.1 mp, weather resistant, very light (not sure of exact weight), self timer. Amazon currently has it on sale for $202.94. So far I love it. If by any chance you are coming to the PA Ruck, I will bring it and let you play with it.

Bryan Mc
01-19-2007, 15:26
nikon coolpix L4. its the AA batteries that last nice and long with lithium batteries. i had the same debate over charger or AAs but decided to go with the AAs because you can get batteries anywhere. camera ended up being cheaper too. but its a good 4.0 megapixel camera which is all you need really unless youre going to blow your pictures up to side your house with the picture. :p only weighs 4.1 ounces they say, which i assume is without batteries, but still not bad. good luck.

bryan

mnof1000v
01-19-2007, 15:44
There are countless opinions on this subject, as I'm sure you'll discover. I used a very simple Fuji Finepix A350. It's about 4.5 oz, and it uses AA batteries. For the money, it's a pretty tough little camera. And Fuji now has camera's that exceed its abilities within the same family - the Fujifilm A-series - of cameras.:D

Check them out online:
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital/lineup/index_a.html

rswanson
01-19-2007, 17:02
Man did I sweat over this decision myself, recently! My criteria was intially very similar to yours and after a ton of research, I settled on the Pentax Optio W20. It's very light and waterproof to 1 meter. But then I changed my mind. I came to the conclusion that better quality pictures are of greater importance than weight or durability so I chose to go another direction.

I ended up buying the Canon Powershot A710. It's fairly light and compact and uses only 2 AA cell batts. This means a longer flash recycle time but thats not so much of a downside for hiking. The camera has an image stabilization feature that allows you to snap pics at lower ISO settings and slower shutter speeds when handheld, which is a huge bonus in lower lighting situations I find common on the trail. And, the camera has a ton of manual controls, almost as many as some DSLR's. I can say that it takes some really phenomenal pics. I know I'll have to take care of it in the rain but that's what Ziplocs are for.

You can find it on sale for close to $300 from some online retailers. B&H Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist.jsp&A=getpage&Q=RootPage.jsp)is a great site to deal with.

Froggy
01-19-2007, 17:21
Pentax makes waterproof cameras, such as my OptioWP. It's only waterproof to about five feet but that's plenty for hiking in the rain. Easy to clean, just wash it and wipe off.

And the menu system is very straightforward, especially considering the Canon I used to own.

There are now other waterproof cameras, too.

doodah man
01-19-2007, 18:36

Here are my criteria: It must be:

extremely lightweight (less than 4 oz)
rugged
have a self-timer
under $400

Any suggestions?

As others have mentioned, cameras are very subjective. I am more of a point-and-shoot type and my digital upgrade was from a extremely basic film camera. I went with the new HP Photosmart E427 that I got myself for the holidays for $90. It is essentially a 6 megapixel digital version of my old Olympus Stylus film camera, even including the sliding lens cover. Literature lists it as 'weather resistant' and it weighs in at 4.9 ounces with 2 AA lithium batteries. No optical zoom with only 5x digital zoom capability. (No moving lens, which contributes to the small size and weather resistance which I actually wanted so there would be fewer things to go wrong.) So far, about 500 pics on a fresh set of lithium AA batteries. And... it must be pretty idiot proof, because even I have not been able to mess anything up... so far... doodah-man

Footslogger
01-19-2007, 21:41
This thread got me thinking ...that it had been quite a while since I had reviewed the available cameras. So, I did a little surfing after work tonight and I need to change the position I took in my earlier post.

If I was going to buy a new camera tomorrow to take on a distance it would be the following:

Nikon Coolpix L6 6MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06082407nikonl6.asp

Reason being is that it meets all the needs of a hiker PLUS it uses AA batteries and provides 1000 shots on a single set of batteries.

At first I thought about the whole "weather resistant" thing but then I remembered that in 2003 I drug a little Panasonic camera all the way to Katahdin and all I used to keep the camera dry was a pint sized freezer strength ziplock ...and I never had a problem, even with all the rain we had that year.

I'm actually thinking about going out and getting one of these cameras (or ordering one on-line) over the weekend.

'Slogger

fonsie
01-20-2007, 11:04
I got the Olypmpus 710 and its 4.3 ounces.....7.1 megapixal, imagestable, self timer....and much more.....click my gallery and I got a pic of what my camera looks like and how small it is.

the goat
01-20-2007, 11:48
I got the Olypmpus 710 and its 4.3 ounces.....7.1 megapixal, imagestable, self timer....and much more.....click my gallery and I got a pic of what my camera looks like and how small it is.

fonsie- how does the lcd screen look when you're standing in bright sunlight? i'm trying to find one w/o a major glare. thanks.

strnorm
01-20-2007, 19:46
check out the kodak c743 7.1 mega pixels with a 512 sd card and with lithium batteries,3x zoom, plus a timer

hopefulhiker
01-21-2007, 09:19
I used a $90 dollar camera that took AAA batteries from Radio Shack, it used the SD card and took reasonable pictures weight with batteries was six ounces..

If I was going to do it again. I would take a camera that allowed panoramic shots. It would have an auto stitching feature that would let you take multiple shots and put them together for a large panoramic view.. I think Kodak makes a camera like this.. but it is not super small and I think it takes a charger.. Look into the panoramic idea.. Some of the vistas I saw were not done justice by the little snap shots I took.

DavidNH
01-21-2007, 09:40
on my 06 thru hike I used a Canon A620. It his a tad on the heavy side and takes 4 AA batteries. It does take very good pictures though.

My main recommendation, had I to do this over again, would be to find a camera that does NOT have a whole bunch of settings that I would never use. I mean why have all that when 99% of the time the camera gets left on the automatic setting?

On thru hikes, one spends most of his time making miles in which case the camera should be as simple as possible. Those who like lots of options, features and gizmos, probably should go for an SLR camera (the larger type that takes different lenses). I did see some long distance AT hikers using very nice SLR cameras.

David

highway
01-21-2007, 12:41
This thread got me thinking ...that it had been quite a while since I had reviewed the available cameras. So, I did a little surfing after work tonight and I need to change the position I took in my earlier post.

If I was going to buy a new camera tomorrow to take on a distance it would be the following:

Nikon Coolpix L6 6MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06082407nikonl6.asp

Reason being is that it meets all the needs of a hiker PLUS it uses AA batteries and provides 1000 shots on a single set of batteries.

At first I thought about the whole "weather resistant" thing but then I remembered that in 2003 I drug a little Panasonic camera all the way to Katahdin and all I used to keep the camera dry was a pint sized freezer strength ziplock ...and I never had a problem, even with all the rain we had that year.

I'm actually thinking about going out and getting one of these cameras (or ordering one on-line) over the weekend.

'Slogger

It has no optical viewfinder so you are forced to rely on the LCD screen in bright sunlight and its harder for fast shots at times

Sly
01-21-2007, 15:26
It has no optical viewfinder so you are forced to rely on the LCD screen in bright sunlight and its harder for fast shots at times

Yup, that's one of the reasons I picked the Canon A710 IS. Only 300 something pics using 2 AA batteries, but I don't I'll be taking any more between resupply and will carry a spare set anyway.

Plus, I like the 6x zoom....

rafe
01-21-2007, 15:37
I'll put in another thumbs up for the Canon A620, but at 12 oz (including four AA cells) it's not a light camera. Picture quality and battery life are excellent. With digicams, the sensor size matters for picture quality. The A620 has the larger 1/1.8" sensor; almost all of the smaller (4 oz and 5 oz) digicams have a 1/2.5" sensor. You usually have to dig deep into the specs to get the sensor size.

chicote
01-22-2007, 10:33
I'm going to be bringing a Canon A710. My father just got one and I've had some time to play around with it. The Image Stabilization is a great feature and it has a variety of shooting modes. I've also always been partial to Canon's imaging sensors. Thinking about bringing a Joby Gorrillapod so I can take some longer exposures and get nicer sunsets.

rswanson
01-22-2007, 11:14
Yup, that's one of the reasons I picked the Canon A710 IS. Only 300 something pics using 2 AA batteries, but I don't I'll be taking any more between resupply and will carry a spare set anyway.

Plus, I like the 6x zoom....
As I've stated, I'm very happy with the Canon A710. I've taken over 300 snaps, including maybe 1/3 with flash, and spent plenty of time reviewing them on the LCD (I've just gotten the camera so I'm still toying with it a lot) on one pair of 2500 mAh NiMH rechargeables. The per-battery performance of this camera is pretty decent. An extra set should see most people through 5-7 days of fairly heavy camera usage.

The 6x zoom is a huge plus for my applications, especially when wildlife is concerned, as is the image stabilization feature for low light shots. And, as someone else mentioned, the sensor on the Canon A6xx and A7xx cameras are supurb. I'm getting some really great pics. The only downsides to the camera are that it's a bit heavier/bulkier than I'd like and its not weather resistant.

Sly
01-22-2007, 11:48
Thinking about bringing a Joby Gorrillapod so I can take some longer exposures and get nicer sunsets.

I got the Ultra Pod. At less that ~2 oz it may not be as versatile as the Joby but it does have a velcro strap you can use to attach it to trees and branches

http://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Revolution-UltraPod-Multi-Purpose-Available/dp/B000IGC8E2/sr=8-5/qid=1169480679/ref=pd_bbs_5/103-6275219-9799004?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods

Footslogger
01-22-2007, 11:48
What does the A710 weigh with batteries. Been to the website but can't find that spec ???

'Slogger

rafe
01-22-2007, 12:00
What does the A710 weigh with batteries. Been to the website but can't find that spec ???Canon website (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelTechSpecsAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=14117) sez: "Approx. 7.41 oz. / 210g (camera body only)." Add maybe 1 oz for each of the two AA batteries...

Sly
01-22-2007, 12:13
Canon website (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelTechSpecsAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=14117) sez: "Approx. 7.41 oz. / 210g (camera body only)." Add maybe 1 oz for each of the two AA batteries...

That's accurate unless you're a serious gram weenie. I don't think you'll find a 6 x zoom with IS and manual controls any lighter. Plus it has the alibity to a add a tele (1.75) and a wide angle (0.7) converter

I like Steve's review.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a710.html

Footslogger
01-22-2007, 12:16
Darnit ...was all ready to buy the Nikon Coolpix L6 cuz of the AA batteries and reported battery life and now you guys have thrown in the monkey wrench. One thing in favor of the Nikon at this point is the price ($149)

'Slogger

chicote
01-22-2007, 12:22
I found online the A710 for 250 plus shipping here (http://www.shopcartusa.com/Product/1286B001/Electronics~Cameras~Digital_Cameras/Canon_PowerShot_A710_IS/PT_Y/?ic_campID=98).

rafe
01-22-2007, 12:25
It's like I said: the A710 IS has the (smaller) 1/2.5" sensor. My older (and 3 oz. heavier) A620 has the larger 1/1.8 sensor. Bottom line is that the larger sensor gives lower noise images (just like bigger film formats always gave better images.) OTOH, for small prints & web shots, you may not notice the difference.

Sly
01-22-2007, 12:28
I found online the A710 for 250 plus shipping here (http://www.shopcartusa.com/Product/1286B001/Electronics%7ECameras%7EDigital_Cameras/Canon_PowerShot_A710_IS/PT_Y/?ic_campID=98).

That's a good price but you want to make sure it has a Canon US warranty which covers parts and labor for 12 months. Since I don't see it advertised I doubt it has one. I went for the cheapest price at the time and bought it from 42nd St Camera. Unfortunately it was imported from Japan by the store and has no warranty.

Try Beach Camera

http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?omid=113&ref=dealtime&utm_source=DealTime&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CNPSA710&sku=CNPSA710

Sly
01-22-2007, 12:35
Darnit ...was all ready to buy the Nikon Coolpix L6 cuz of the AA batteries and reported battery life and now you guys have thrown in the monkey wrench. One thing in favor of the Nikon at this point is the price ($149)

Sucks don't it? :D I hate buying new technology. It's only new for a few months or about the time I take searching. If you wait until just before your next hike it'll probably be an entirely new ballgame.

Heater
01-22-2007, 12:49
Sucks don't it? :D I hate buying new technology. It's only new for a few months or about the time I take searching. If you wait until just before your next hike it'll probably be an entirely new ballgame.

The digital camera will be the LAST thing I buy before my hike. I paid 800 bucks a few years ago for technology that is far surpassed now at a price of 200 bucks. :mad:

Live and learn. I shoulda known better after forking out 1500 for my first PC in 1992. ;)

the_iceman
01-22-2007, 13:01
This is a great camera. Canon always takes top slots in digital camera reviews. This will be hte 4th Canon (4th digital plus 1 SLR) in the family after having several other brands. About 5.5 oz. My last purchase except for maybe pocketmail.

Footslogger
01-22-2007, 13:07
Yeah ...there's always the bigger, smaller, faster, lighter arguments when it comes to technology. But I have learned that at some point you start to lose some practical function. That said, I really do like the sound of 6x optical zoom !! AND the fact that is uses AA batteries.

About 2 years ago I bought the Cannon D500, primarily based on it's size/weight specifications. When I got it and tried to take a picture I realized that it was actually too small for my hands. Great little camera, great pictures ...but if it wasn't for the wrist strap I'd have dropped that sucker so often I'd probably have broken it by now.

Guess you just try and make the best decision at the time and live with it.

'Slogger

Grinds
01-22-2007, 13:22
I used a Fuji Fine Pix 5200. It ran on AAs and weighted 13 ounces, but it also had a 10x optical zoom which was nice. The was pretty much the reason I bought it.

rswanson
01-22-2007, 14:25
It's like I said: the A710 IS has the (smaller) 1/2.5" sensor. My older (and 3 oz. heavier) A620 has the larger 1/1.8 sensor. Bottom line is that the larger sensor gives lower noise images (just like bigger film formats always gave better images.) OTOH, for small prints & web shots, you may not notice the difference.
I really did a ton of research trying to decide between the A710 and the A640 (newest version of the 620) and I can't find any major instances of better pic quality in the A6xx series. Some seem to feel the pic quality is better with the A6xx's but at low ISO settings it looked like more a matter of opinion to me. I read reviews of photo lab tests of both, comparing side-by-side shots and at low ISO settings the A6xx's may have produced a tiny bit less noise but sometimes I wasn't even sure I could tell the difference. Over ISO 200, the A6xx cameras performed a tiny bit better but 95% of my shots are taken at ISO 80, 100, or 200.

In the end the lighter weight, 6x zoom, and image stabilization won out over the variable angle screen and a few more megapixels. Either way though, I think the Canon A6xx & A7xx take the best pictures in their class.

frieden
01-23-2007, 03:49
It weighs a ton (11.3 oz), but it is a sweet camera! The Canon G7: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelTechSpecsAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=14321

hammock engineer
01-23-2007, 03:55
I love my heavy cannon. I carry it mainly in my pocket, so technically it doesn't count towards my pack weight. The swivel screen is really nice. I can take angled shots without moving into a strange position.

BTW, check out www.dealcatcher.com (http://www.dealcatcher.com) . I just checked their site and they have a bunch of camera discounts listed. I saw a few different cannon models.

fonsie
01-23-2007, 04:25
O sorry it took this long to reply.....it's great, i took a lot of shots outside. No glare u would love it.....it's going for 249 right now...

rafe
01-23-2007, 09:36
The digital camera will be the LAST thing I buy before my hike. I paid 800 bucks a few years ago for technology that is far surpassed now at a price of 200 bucks. :mad:

Live and learn. I shoulda known better after forking out 1500 for my first PC in 1992. ;)

That's the way it goes with electronics these days. My Canon G2 was and remains a very nice 4 Mpixel, 18 oz. camera. It cost $700 in 2002, and the 512M flash card cost another $300 at the time. I bought it just before a section hike through Vermont. It served me very well.

My first PC was in 1984 I think... one of the original IBM-PCs and cost almost $5K. I could go on and on....

c.coyle
01-24-2007, 08:01
... My first PC was in 1984 I think... one of the original IBM-PCs and cost almost $5K. I could go on and on....

Same here. 20mb hard drive, amberchrome monitor (blank the screen or it burns in), DOS. I kinda miss DOS.

chicote
01-24-2007, 12:10
I ended up ordering from Beach Camera. The other place I mentioned had too many bad reviews on other Camera forums. (you know like a whiteblaze for cameras :eek:) Thanks for the reccomendation. I'm looking forward to the new toy.

That's a good price but you want to make sure it has a Canon US warranty which covers parts and labor for 12 months. Since I don't see it advertised I doubt it has one. I went for the cheapest price at the time and bought it from 42nd St Camera. Unfortunately it was imported from Japan by the store and has no warranty.

Try Beach Camera

http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?omid=113&ref=dealtime&utm_source=DealTime&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CNPSA710&sku=CNPSA710

Sly
01-24-2007, 12:17
I ended up ordering from Beach Camera. The other place I mentioned had too many bad reviews on other Camera forums. (you know like a whiteblaze for cameras :eek:) Thanks for the reccomendation. I'm looking forward to the new toy.

Cool. You got a great camera, cheaper than I did and with a US warranty!

rafe
01-24-2007, 12:17
One of the best places on the planet to buy cameras from is BH Photo Video in NYC. If I order a camera or lens online by noon on Tuesday, it's likely to show up Wednesday PM or Thursday AM here at work in Boston. Their prices are usually within 10% of the rock-bottom price. They've been in business for decades. They're the #1 pro camera store on the planet. They keep the Jewish sabbath -- no business is transacted between Friday PM and Saturday PM. Just so you know.

Sly
01-24-2007, 12:36
One of the best places on the planet to buy cameras from is BH Photo Video in NYC.

You really need to do some comparative shopping. Beach has the better deal, atleast on this camera.

highway
01-24-2007, 12:39
That's accurate unless you're a serious gram weenie. I don't think you'll find a 6 x zoom with IS and manual controls any lighter. Plus it has the alibity to a add a tele (1.75) and a wide angle (0.7) converter

I like Steve's review.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a710.html

Weight 7.41 ounce Plus 2 AA lithiums at 1.1 = 7.6 ounces.

But there is a discrepancy as I found another site an hour ago that listed it as 7.1 ounces, including batteries. Who knows? Anyway, since my battery recharger for my older Canon Elph SD400 weighs 2.8 ounces and the camera, with battery & card weighs 8+, it tilts in favor of the SDA710 IS, and its 6X optical tilts further in its favor over the lighter Elph SD 600 I was eyeing earlier. I had not considered the A series for some reason. Thanks for the lead.

My old SD 400 works almost all the time. Sometimes, always in the worst of times, it ceases to turn on, like at the end of a once in a lifetrim trip, or at very high altitude (cold?) so, since I can no longer trust it, I am changing it out. decisions, Decisions, money.....

highway
01-24-2007, 12:46
Those that have this camera, would you please say whether it has a good metal body or that cheap, proprietary plastic body? I hope its metal.

Sly
01-24-2007, 12:51
Weight 7.41 ounce Plus 2 AA lithiums at 1.1 = 7.6 ounces.

But there is a discrepancy as I found another site an hour ago that listed it as 7.1 ounces, including batteries. Who knows?

On my scale- Camera, SD card 7.4 ozs 2 rehargable NimH batteriees 2.1. 2 Alkaline batteries 1.8

Sly
01-24-2007, 12:53
Plastic body, metal ring.

rafe
01-24-2007, 12:53
You really need to do some comparative shopping. Beach has the better deal, atleast on this camera.

I've bought from Beach, and from BH. BH is generally within a few percent of Beach's price, every time I've looked. BH's price on the A710 is $295. Beach is $275. That's within the 10% I quoted. (Be careful to compare apples to apples -- bizrate.com is likely to mix up the bare camera and the camera plus "accessory kit.") I never said BH had rock-bottom prices. They don't. But they're about the most reputable (and efficient, and well-stocked) camera store in the world. For my peace of mind, the small difference is worth it.

PS, Sly: you know a lot more about long-distance hiking than me, but I bet I've bought a lot more camera gear than you ;).

highway
01-24-2007, 13:37
Plastic body, metal ring.
I have dropped my older, metal-bodied canon which just put a scratch on it. What do you suppose, heaven forbid, would happen if you drop the plastic case one?

highway
01-24-2007, 13:44
On my scale- Camera, SD card 7.4 ozs 2 rehargable NimH batteriees 2.1. 2 Alkaline batteries 1.8
Then 7.4 ounces it is for the camera. I have gone to lithium batteries because they are lighter, last longer, than the alkaline ones, but a LOT more expensive.

Sly
01-24-2007, 13:45
I have dropped my older, metal-bodied canon which just put a scratch on it. What do you suppose, heaven forbid, would happen if you drop the plastic case one?

I don't know but I'm not about to try...

rswanson
01-24-2007, 16:51
I've got the A710. It's certainly not designed with any sort of abuse in mind. Most of the body is plastic. I would be careful and always use the wrist strap. Make sure you ziploc it too. I really wouldn't want to drop any point and shoot, regardless of the body materials; the LCD screens are the most delicate part of the construction of the camera and they're universal.

Heater
04-03-2007, 07:42
I just got a Canon SD800 IS. 7.1 megapixels, 3.8 digital zoom, Image stabilizer. Weighs 6 3/8 oz with battery. I took a few photos yesterday and will go out today to give it a good test. I like everything about it so far.

A pretty good multi-page review here if anyone is interested:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/sd800.html

Undershaft
04-05-2007, 12:05
I just found a great camera. Panasonic Lumix LZ7. 7.2MP, 6x optical zoom, 4x digital, 27mb internal memory, takes SD cards, 2AA batteries, 2.5" LCD screen, a couple dozen scene modes, auto image stabilization, 3200 ISO, 4 flash modes, takes movies with audio(can also take widescreen 16:9) limited only by available memory space, plus a bunch of other functions. Retails for $199.99 on sale right now at Best Buy for $189. Cons: a little bulky compared with other cameras, a little heavier(maybe 7-8 ounces altogether), not really weatherproof or shockproof. It's recieved some good reviews on the web. I've been playing with the display model in the store for a few days now and it's very simple to use and takes good pics. It just came out about a month ago. I've been reseaching cameras for my long hike this year and I think I've found the one I will buy. It has almost all the options I wanted, and the ones it doesn't have are features I can live without. Good price too.

Footslogger
04-05-2007, 12:07
I'm still holding out for the Canon A710 IS. Just waiting for the prices to fall a bit.

'Slogger

Undershaft
04-05-2007, 12:16
I checked out the Canon. It looks pretty sweet, but it's out of my price range. I only have $300 bugeted for a digital camera, memory cards, and a case. I've been researching digital cams for quite a while now and have a big shopping list of features I want. I've been actively looking to buy for a month now and the Lumix LZ7 is the only camera I can find that fits the bill. I'm a novice when it comes to cameras. This will be my first digital.

Footslogger
04-05-2007, 12:19
I checked out the Canon. It looks pretty sweet, but it's out of my price range. I only have $300 bugeted for a digital camera, memory cards, and a case. I've been researching digital cams for quite a while now and have a big shopping list of features I want. I've been actively looking to buy for a month now and the Lumix LZ7 is the only camera I can find that fits the bill. I'm a novice when it comes to cameras. This will be my first digital.
================================

Don't know what your timing is ...but don't give up on the Canon. Prices are dropping. Have seen "spot" sales for $239 already. SD card prices fluctuate all over the map too. Nowadays you can catch $29.99 deals on 1GB cards.

'Slogger

QHShowoman
04-05-2007, 12:23
I used to work across from B&H. It's quite an operation, although I have to admit, my experiences with them have been less than satisfactory. I bought an Olympus digital camera from them a few years back -- although I researched it quite a bit beforehand, I had questions about how it would function in low-light situations (such as concerts). I was promised it was the "best they had" in a digital point-and-shoot for low-light situations and that I wouldn't be disappointed. Yeah right. It's virtually useless without flash.

The other thing I didn't like about B&H is their warranty. It's a pain to ship the camera to Mack everytime there is an issue and wait weeks for it to be returned.

Freeleo
04-05-2007, 16:55
i plan on using the Pentax optio 10W i think it is called....it is small and waterproof and has a whopping 6 megapix's

i love this camera

RockDoc
04-05-2007, 23:31
I still make do with a 2 year old SD400 Powershot ELPH, at 5.5 oz.
I bought two additional batteries (0.5 oz each) for $15 each, and I use the larger storage disk (1 meg, I think).

However, the batteries will last forever if you just turn off the screen display and shoot through the viewfinder. And don't shoot any movies.

I took 300+ hi-res photos on a 10 day trip to Iceland in '05.
Plan to use it on the AT in June-July.

EWS
04-06-2007, 00:04
I ordered a Pentax W30, it's small, and supposedly water and dust proof. I just want something that won't die in less than 2 years. Hopefully, it is the ticket. As long a picutre quality is decent, I'll be happy, I'm not a pro photographer by anymeans.

rafe
04-06-2007, 07:50
I ordered a Pentax W30, it's small, and supposedly water and dust proof. I just want something that won't die in less than 2 years.

Why worry about "longevity" or obsolescence with digital cameras? It's a losing battle. Just buy a camera that's half a step behind the bleeding edge, so you don't get too burnt by the initial outlay. Expect it to go obsolete before you've learned how to use it. Expect to buy a better, cheaper one in two years.

EWS
04-06-2007, 08:06
I'm not worry about it becoming obsolete; I'm worried about it last more than a year, and not crapping out in the middle of nowhere as my last two have (one Sony and on Cannon). The ones I get must be cursed and die rather quickly, though I'll admit my activites/enivronment definitely haven't helped.

Undershaft
04-06-2007, 18:31
Hey Footslogger, Best Buy has 2 gig SD cards for $29.99 right now. Don't remember which brand.

huck
04-06-2007, 19:06
Hello ,I bought a Norcent DC-1020 10.1 mega pixels (point and shoot).very light, takes 2 AA bateries .has option for dc adapter.For only about $150 .00.I think it is a good camera 3xoptical 4x digital zoom.http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&search_query=norcent&Continue.x=0&Continue.y=0&Continue=Find&ic=24_0

hawkeye
04-06-2007, 19:41
I have a Olympus Stylus 600. Works great.

freefall
04-06-2007, 20:05
I bought a Olympus Camedia D-435 5.1mp back in December of 105 in preperation for my hike in `06. While it seemed to work fine out on the trail, it crapped out on me within a month of getting home. There's either a short in it somewhere or a bug in the camera's programming that I could reset by leaving the batteries out for a day or so but now that doesn't even work.

Olympus wouldn't help me out by email at all stating I had to send it in. I still don't want to do that as the camera is pretty much obsolete already and I would prefer one with optical zoom.

Next go `round I might still go with an Olympus but whichever it is, it will at least be weather-proof. Redneck Rye had one at Miss Janet's last year that I liked; he even demonstrated it's waterproofness by dropping it in a glass of beer! I think it was an Olympus as well.

Whatever camera you take, make sure to keep it handy and USE IT!!! I took about 500 pictures between Springer and DWG and I still should have, whish I had, taken more!

Footslogger
04-06-2007, 22:29
Hey Footslogger, Best Buy has 2 gig SD cards for $29.99 right now. Don't remember which brand.

================================

Thanks ...just make sure that your camera will recognize that sized card. I've owned more than one camera that would not register capacities over 1 GB.

'Slogger

Powder River
11-06-2007, 20:52
I just switched from a Canon A640 (4 AAs) to the Canon G9 (proprietary, 1.5 oz battery) The camera itself is a little heavier, but the difference in battery weight actually makes the G9 lighter. Also, the charger + spare battery for the G9 is about 4 oz lighter than a charger + 4 AA batteries. So total weight savings is about 4 oz.

I disagree with most of the posts here about AA batteries. Alkaline batteries are not made for high drain devices like cameras, and will only give you a few pictures before dying. (in some cases literally 2 pictures) You can buy lithium (disposable) AA batteries, however you are still getting nowhere near the battery life you would with quality NiMH 2400+ rechargable AA batteries. When you read the battery life rating for a camera on a review site, it is using this type of battery.

So what are you left with? Well, you have a camera that you still need to carry a charger and extra batteries for. (or at least a charger) You can buy AAs in a pinch but you are not getting near the life out of them. And as I found with the A640, there is actually a weight penalty for the AAs. Proprietary batteries, even for the G9 are super light (it uses the same large-ish battery found in the Rebel DSLR) but especially in smaller cameras such as an Elph camera the batteries weigh almost nothing.

There is one further consideration. When it is cold out, batteries lose power. The solution to this is to remove the batteries from the device and store them in a pocket close to your skin to keep them warm. When you want to take a picture, quickly load the batteries and take your shot. I was excited about the switch to the G9 also for this scenario. A single proprietary battery is very simple and quick to take in and out, whereas 4 AA batteries are not.

Just my .02

rafe
11-06-2007, 22:29
I disagree with most of the posts here about AA batteries. Alkaline batteries are not made for high drain devices like cameras, and will only give you a few pictures before dying. (in some cases literally 2 pictures) You can buy lithium (disposable) AA batteries, however you are still getting nowhere near the battery life you would with quality NiMH 2400+ rechargable AA batteries. When you read the battery life rating for a camera on a review site, it is using this type of battery.

I carried a Canon A620 on this year's section hike. It weighs just under 12 oz with its four AA batteries. I hiked for about six weeks, and in that time I took about 450 photos -- all on one set of rechargeable NiMH (AA) batteries.

Powder River
11-07-2007, 00:51
I carried a Canon A620 on this year's section hike. It weighs just under 12 oz with its four AA batteries. I hiked for about six weeks, and in that time I took about 450 photos -- all on one set of rechargeable NiMH (AA) batteries.

That's exactly my point. As long as you're using rechargable NiMH AAs you'll get excellent battery life. But once you switch to disposable AAs in a pinch, you're getting horrible battery life and therefore the ability to buy batteries anywhere isn't much of an advantage at all. With my A640 (much like your A620) I would still have to carry an extra set of batteries and a charger.

For everybody who says AAs are such an advantage and should determine your camera purchase, I would say it is a non issue and only limits many great (and lighter) options. In fact, I would say you could safely ignore the battery type issue altogether when choosing a camera, and instead get one that has the image quality and features you want. Of course, you still want a camera that has a GOOD battery life, but these cameras exist in both categories.

Dakota Dan
11-07-2007, 01:05
JR will take his $25.00 Wal-mart clearanced Oregon-Scientific digital camera. He upgraded it with a chip(will be getting another chip) this gets him a lot of pix and to have a way to mail back pix to be downloaded.

Several things I like about the camera. BTW, its like 1.3 mega-pixel.

1.Does not have a screen, so he saves big on battery consumption, just
has to take an extra pix if its a good shot.

2. Uses 2-AA batteries.

3. its very light and small, fits in a shirt pocket easily.

4. takes good pix.

I'm not too enthusiastic on carrying electronics on a thru, but since he wants to take this digital camera, maybe we should do a journal as we go.

rafe
11-07-2007, 01:30
That's exactly my point. As long as you're using rechargable NiMH AAs you'll get excellent battery life. But once you switch to disposable AAs in a pinch, you're getting horrible battery life and therefore the ability to buy batteries anywhere isn't much of an advantage at all. With my A640 (much like your A620) I would still have to carry an extra set of batteries and a charger.

The numbers don't quite support your contention. This link (http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=737-0120&SEARCH=&ID=&DESC=MN1500&R=737%2D0120&sid=472FAE8066C9617F) rates a conventional Duracell AA Alkaline at 2100 mAh, the rechargeables that I was using are rated ~2500 mAh. Not quite as extreme a difference as you imply.

To be honest, I've never used the Canon with "conventional" alkaline AAs. My old Canon G2 did OK with its lithium battery (on shorter hikes) but enough with the rechargeable electronics already. Bad enough having to carry a charger for the cell phone.

Footslogger
11-07-2007, 10:26
All things being equal, I'd still hike with a camera that uses AA sized batteries. I take a fair number of pics, mostly available light (non flash) and I have yet to ever lose a photo op due to dead batteries. For a camera like the Cannon A710IS or A720IS that uses 2 AA sized cells it is my preference to carry 1 or 2 extra sets of AA Lithiums rather than rechargeables and a charger.

I have A LOT of experience with AA sized NiMH rechargeables, as they are the type of battery I use in my cameras for underwater photo ...but in those cases I am on a boat and have ready access to an electrical outlet where a recharger can be plugged in after each dive.

Each have their application but when hiking I prefer and from personal experience would always suggest going with a camera that uses AA sized cells (preferably 2 cells) and carry the Lithium type.

'Slogger

trailfoot
11-07-2007, 12:17
If I was buying one tomorrow I'd probably get the Olympus Stylus Waterproof model 720SW.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1225&fl=4

Was in Staples the other night handling the latest models and really think that is the way to go. Shockproof, waterproof, small ...

Only thing I don't particularly care for is the proprietary Lithium Ion battery. If that sucker used AA's it would be my hands down favorite.

'Slogger

I was talking to a salesman at Circuit City the other day and he raved how well that camera did over in Iraq. He would carry the camera on the front of his flank jacket and took multiple pics a day. He went on to say that he was hit by 2 IED's that threw him down on that camera twice and the thing still works like a champ and doesn't have a scratch on it.

Mentioned that the battery lasted for a month and a half on a charge, taking multiple pics a day.

musicwoman
11-07-2007, 13:55
Taking my trusty Canon A550. Light, uses AA's, and its idiot proof....

Also, any piece of equipment that has anything proprietary on it is like a red flag to me.

partinj
11-07-2007, 14:24
Hi The Canon A550 7.1mp the Fuji A610 or the Polaroid I533 would all fill your needs they all take AA batteries. All these got 5 star review on many web sites. i have both the fuji a610 and the canon a540 the a540 is the one i will be taking on my Thur-Hike in 2008 it a great camera if you can find the a540 i get that one. GOOD LUCK :D

Panzer1
11-10-2007, 17:32
I just got a Olympus 1200 today. It weights 4.93 ounces with battery and lanyard. (not counting a memory card which hasn't arrive yet, but I expect that will weigh considerably less than an ounce) You can order a nice carrying case that velcors onto you pack belt that weights 1.8 ounces. This is a 12 mega pixel camera that just came out.

This camera will replace the old disposable cameras that I used to carry that weighed 4.3 ounces.

It has one really cool feature, you can see in the dark with it.

Shadow Adjustment Technology will help you capture amazing detail in difficult lighting conditions. You'll capture smiles, even in backlight scenes. Youll pick up detail, even in the shadows cast by bright sunlight.Here is the propaganda from the website:

Description:

The Stylus 1200 features a solid collection of advanced technologies. The powerful 12-megapixel CCD sensor provides the maximum image quality in a pocket-size camera. Combine this with Face Detection and All-Weather technology and you have a very powerful point-and-shoot camera.

12 Megapixels
You wont find many compact point-and-shoot cameras with more megapixel power than the Stylus 1200. Get superior image quality with the high-resolution 12-megapixel CCD (1/1.72"). Create large, detailed prints – or crop your images – without losing a single detail.

2.7" Hypercrystal LCD
The extra-large LCD – with anti-glare technology and an extra-wide viewing angle – makes it fun to compose and shoot all your favorite subjects with this camera. You can even share photos with family and friends even in bright, direct sunlight.

Digital Image Stabilization
With high ISO sensitivity and faster shutter speeds you can freeze the action to capture sharp, blur-free images, even if the camera or your subject is moving.

All-Weather
Its made with protective seals and gaskets to ward off the elements. The durable, splashproof design – exclusive to the Stylus series – protects your camera from water sprays, splashes and the elements for worry-free shooting anytime, anywhere.

Face Detection
Portrait taking made easy. Face Detection tracks your subjects faces within the frame and automatically focuses and optimizes exposure for sharp, brilliant portrait pictures.

Footslogger
11-10-2007, 20:27
[quote=Panzer1;446375]I just got a Olympus 1200 today. It weights 4.93 ounces with battery and lanyard. (not counting a memory card which hasn't arrive yet, but I expect that will weigh considerably less than an ounce) You can order a nice carrying case that velcors onto you pack belt that weights 1.8 ounces. This is a 12 mega pixel camera that just came out.
=====================================

Sounds like an amazing camera. Do you print/enlarge your shots ??

'Slogger

Gaiter
11-10-2007, 20:54
i haven't read this thread in detail but i'll put another vote in for nikon's coolpix, i've got an L12, 7.1mp, don't know its weight. my favorite feature is where you can record a little voice msg on each pic, helps me to remember names and where i took the photo. i'm very careful about not getting it wet, the slightest forcast of rain and its deep in my pack, otherwise its in my pocket getting knocked around. held up fine so far and heard other good reviews from other hikers w/ a coolpix.

Panzer1
11-10-2007, 21:13
Sounds like an amazing camera. Do you print/enlarge your shots ??
'Slogger

Not yet. Just got it today.

Panzer

wrightsphoto
11-10-2007, 21:16
http://www.dpreview.com
a good website to read reviews, see the latest cameras, and see actual photos by diffirent cameras.

I just bought a Canon Powershot A570 IS - mainly because of its ratings and it takes 2 AA.
I agree with Footslogger on the new Olympus Stylus 770 SW, seems like it would be a good trail camera if it took aa batteries...
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodkey=oly_stylus770sw

Froggy
11-10-2007, 21:23
I took a film Olympus Stylus, also weather resistant and "splash proof" down the Grand Canyon a while back. There were some mighty big splashes. It never worked well after its repair, and now I have a digital Pentax that's waterproof. I took it snorkeling and it still works fine.

Over Yonder
11-16-2007, 17:45
So I really love photography and taking pictures... so my dilemma is this... I have a really amazing digital slr.. but it weighs a ton... is it wise to part with it and go to a sad point and shoot? Or... should I stick to my guns and sling along my awesome beast, because well... you only live once... right?:-?

plus.. would it stay dry enough in two sea 2 summit dry bags?

...I am on the fence.. what do you all think...??

Footslogger
11-16-2007, 18:06
So I really love photography and taking pictures... so my dilemma is this... I have a really amazing digital slr.. but it weighs a ton... is it wise to part with it and go to a sad point and shoot? Or... should I stick to my guns and sling along my awesome beast, because well... you only live once... right?:-?

plus.. would it stay dry enough in two sea 2 summit dry bags?

...I am on the fence.. what do you all think...??
========================================

If you're willing to carry the weight, I say ..."Sling along the awesome beast" !!

'Slogger

AmyJanette
01-31-2008, 13:38
I'm looking at cameras, and you guys have been an awesome resource for me. I had pretty much decided on a Canon already, but I wasn't sure about taking it on the trail. Seeing that others had used it on the trail really cinched it for me.

I am looking into a Canon PowerShot A720 IS with 8 MP and 6x optical image stabilized zoom and 4x digital zoom. Weight is 7.05 oz and it takes two AA batteries. I can get it for less than $230 at my local Radio Shack and with lithium batteries (it comes with alkalines), carrying case, SD memory card (it comes with a wimpy one) it should be just over $300. It also comes with a one year warranty for parts and labour.

All around, I think it's a really great camera...Has anyone else used this model for their thru-hike?

rafe
01-31-2008, 14:11
All around, I think it's a really great camera...Has anyone else used this model for their thru-hike?

No, but a somewhat older Canon A620 has served me well. A bit on the heavy side though. (12 oz.) One set of NiMH batteries lasted 600 miles.

budforester
01-31-2008, 15:38
I was impressed by a camera written- up in the current Backpacker magazine; sorry I couldn't locate a link. I think it was Olympus brand. It used 2 AA batteries, had 18X optical zoom, and had wide- angle equivalent to 28 mm. The 500- buck price is more than I could handle, but dreams are free.

brotheral
01-31-2008, 20:14
This will take you over 4oz, but consider ones that take standard AA or AAA. That way you will not have to worry about charging the batteries or weight/care of the charger.

I carry a heavy 10+ oz cannon A610. Yes it's heavy but it takes 4AA batteries. I have taken over 600 pics on the same set of Lituims.
I've also had a Canon A610 for the last few years and love it. It's my first digital camera. I haven't counted, but I sure get alot of pics with 4AA Alkaline batteries... :D