PDA

View Full Version : Any experts out there -

wing it
01-19-2007, 14:08
How can you rewaterproof a single walled tent? Or is it even possible? I'm down to the wire for the FT trip, so if anyone's got an answer in the next couple days, it'd really help. I can't find a thing with google either, surprisingly enough.

RiverWarriorPJ
01-19-2007, 14:22
I haven't used it yet, but have heard good things about this product...also a single wall kinda guy....
x
z
http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-us/activity/index.php?activity=OUTDOORS
z
x

whitefoot_hp
01-19-2007, 16:06
what is the difference between single wall/ multiple wall tents?

rswanson
01-19-2007, 18:14
A single wall tent is just that, one single piece of solid fabric between you and the elements. An example is a tarp or tarptent. A double walled tent is composed of two layers of fabric, usually an inner wall of mesh and nylon, covered by a detachable soild rain fly. Most tents are double walled. Double walled tents have the advantage of fewer condensation issues, as ventilation options are better and condensation collects on the rain fly as opposed to the inner wall, separating you from the moisture. The disadvatage is that they are heavier and usually more complex than single walled shelters.

bigmac_in
01-19-2007, 18:16
I can't believe you started a thread on this site with the title "Any experts out there" and didn't get 50 responses in the next 15 minutes..........LMAO ! !

wing it
01-22-2007, 14:44
Thanks for the replies you guys. That nikwax I've heard good things about, but I think I'll chicken out and not possibly ruin my trusty tent.

And yeah, that is surprising that there aren't any more experts jumping in. Ya'd think - maybe people at whiteblaze are just too humble to call themselves experts . . . or there aren't enough people with single wall tents to know.

If worse comes to worse, I'll try nikwax this year and'll be able to tell you how it goes.

Sly
01-22-2007, 14:57
it depends on what the single walled tent is made of... and how trusty is a tent that needs waterproofing?

SalParadise
01-22-2007, 15:43
I was thinking the same thing as Sly even before I got to his post; what kind of tent needs waterproofing AFTER you buy it?

now I'm not expert because I didn't waterproof my tarp apart from seam-sealing it, but wouldn't covering the walls with something like Nikwax make the material entirely not breathable and actually create more condensation problems then not using the Nikwax?

ah, if only you added "need advice, please" to the title and this thread could have been huge!:)

TOW
01-22-2007, 15:47
you may want to consider revivex http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20140

RiverWarriorPJ
01-22-2007, 15:52
[quote=SalParadise;307529]I was thinking the same thing as Sly even before I got to his post; what kind of tent needs waterproofing AFTER you buy it?

but wouldn't covering the walls with something like Nikwax make the material entirely not breathable and actually create more condensation problems then not using the Nikwax?

oh geeez....."read" da link....it's a breathable coating....1st u try it on something other than a $200 tent....besides....he ain't gonna use it...
z
x

Touch of Grey
01-22-2007, 16:25
Ah I love it, A thread asking for an Expert.

Lot's of those here on the web in general. Whether they can backup their claims is another thing in itself.

As to the waterproofing issue versus the breathability issue and it's related condensation issues. Everyone including me needs to realize that there are several words used in the world which people mis-use or confuse for one another. Water-Repellant VS Water-Resistant VS Water-Something, etc. All are very different things and can create problems if you the consumer are not aware of the differences. Unfortunately I cannot remember where I came across the dissertation on this subject and the symantics involved. But it has to do with the pressure of the water falling and how quickly it can soak thru if at all, the time involved and a lot of other things. Suffice it to say that if you do a Google or Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durable_Water_Repellent or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterproof_and_water-repellent_fabrics) on Water-Repellancy you should get a better idea of what you seek and it might be far more enlightening than the 12 dozen experts you might get an answer from on this forum including ME. Then again you just might be further confused.

TOG

LIhikers
01-22-2007, 19:32
The last tent me and the wife had was a Eurika. When the fly started to easily wet through we called the company and asked for advice. They advised us to use a product called Recoat. It worked good and we got a couple more years out of the tent. In fact, we still have it but switched to a lighter tent.

Programbo
01-22-2007, 19:54
Actually I happen to be an expert on this subject....The early Eureka! Tents (As well as others) used a type of waterproofing that simply stuck to the surface of the nylon and if they were stored tightly rolled in a hot area for long periods when you unrolled them the waterproofing would peel off.....Kenyon or K-Kote developed "ReCoat" (Which several other folks have already mentioned) as a brush-on repair for this problem....It`s basically the same thing as Seam-Seal just in a larger bottle with a brush....I`m sure by now the product has been improved even farther than the version I recall......Single walled non-breathable waterproof tents aren`t the best idea in the world as they are hotter in summer..colder in winter..lack ventilation..etc.....I`d try and remove all the waterproofing from it and then find a waterproof rainfly to put over top (But staked out so the inner and outer walls are seperated)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-22-2007, 20:36
Wing it - If you don't come up with a way to waterproof the tent, take along a 2 mil drop cloth. Not the perfect solution for sure, but it will save your trip.

As to re-coating - as Sly says, it depends on what the orginal coating was.

Sly
01-22-2007, 21:00
oh geeez....."read" da link....it's a breathable coating....1st u try it on something other than a $200 tent....besides....he ain't gonna use it...
z
x

Read da question. Who was asking you? :rolleyes:

Moxie00
01-22-2007, 21:24
I know how we used to waterproof old canvas tents before nylon came along. Very safe. You would boil about two quarts of gasoline on a stove. Once it came to a rolling boil you would put in a couple of pounds of parafin wax. Once the wax melted you would keep the fire hot enough to keep the wax liquid and use a paint brush to paint the mixture on your tent. Once it dried the gasoline would evaporate and the wax would fill all the pores in the canvas waterproofing your tent. In a week or so the smell of gasoline wouldn't be so bad you could sleep in the tent. This is a proven method you could try on your single wall tent but remember, alot of boy scouts, guides, and tents did get burned up in the good old days.( It is a stupid thing but we really did do it that way)

weary
01-22-2007, 22:02
I know how we used to waterproof old canvas tents before nylon came along. Very safe. You would boil about two quarts of gasoline on a stove. Once it came to a rolling boil you would put in a couple of pounds of parafin wax. Once the wax melted you would keep the fire hot enough to keep the wax liquid and use a paint brush to paint the mixture on your tent. Once it dried the gasoline would evaporate and the wax would fill all the pores in the canvas waterproofing your tent. In a week or so the smell of gasoline wouldn't be so bad you could sleep in the tent. This is a proven method you could try on your single wall tent but remember, alot of boy scouts, guides, and tents did get burned up in the good old days.( It is a stupid thing but we really did do it that way)
Whatever you do Moxie, don't give em a name or an address. Let em find out for themselves when they sue. But you are right. The stuff works with a cotton tent,the best kind, really -- for canoe camping.