PDA

View Full Version : I really need some help with clothing options

OntheRoad
01-19-2007, 14:41
I have pretty much everything I need to go backpacking except the proper clothing(I'm from Florida so I never needed anything special). I have a general idea of what I want, but I have some questions regarding how many layers I need, and if certain layers can multitask(IE: windproof and water proof).

I know I want a SmartWool Microweight t-shirt as my baselayer but that is about it. It just doesn't seem necessary to me to get a fleece sweater like the Marmot Reactor, an insulated layer such as a Montbell Thermawrap, a windlayer such as a Marmot Ion, and then a rain layer such as the Northface Diad jacket. To me it seems like way to many layers.

What do I really need on top of my baselayer? Will a fleece sweater, along with a Marmot Ion and a rain jacket work? Or would it be better to scratch the fleece and switch it with a Montbell Thermawrap? Or keep the fleece and use a Micropuff pullover to eliminate the wind layer?

I am just so confused as to what I will need. Just a little more information: I am not looking for winter gear here. I am looking to gear up for a late March AT hike heading north from Springer.

Oh and as far as gloves, would regular fleece gloves work or would I want something labeled "Windproof"? How about waterproof?

OntheRoad
01-19-2007, 14:44
Oh and I almost forgot. What about pants? I plan to hike in shorts unless it is really cold or rainy and I already have a pair of thermal long johns. Would a pair of wind/waterproof pants work fine over the thermals or do I need insulated pants as well?

Also, could you name some brands of each that would work well?

hammock engineer
01-19-2007, 15:04
If it helps here is what I am taking as far as clothing. I am missing a couple of the weights of stuff I am wearing. I am preparing for single digit nights and hiking in 20's to 30's during the day. I think with my mid-March start I should have all my bases covered. I am still looking to drop a little weight, but this is where I am right now.

Something to think about is what is the coldest you hiked in so far and how cold is the AT going to be. Being from FL you might get colder than most people.

Clothing
Golite Phantom Rain Jacket 15.4
Rain Pants 8
MEC Northern Lite Jacket 18.7
OR Mittens 4.1
Patagonia Heavyweight liner gloves 1.5
Face Sheild
OR Windproof Fleece Hat 2.4
Smartwool Blue Long Seleve 1/4 zip 12.7
Smartwool Red Long Seleve Shirt 8.1(sleeping)
Smartwool Socks 3.3
Smartwool Socks 3.3 (sleeping)
Smartwool Long Underwear Bottoms 8.2
Smartwool Long Underwear Bottoms 8.2 (sleeping)

Clothing Worn
Smartwool Red Short Seleve Shirt 8.6
Columbia shorts 6.2
Smartwool Socks 3.3
OR Gaiters
New Balance Trail Runners
OR Ball Cap2.6

Hope it helps. Let me know if you want any links.

Bryan Mc
01-19-2007, 15:09
dont forget that your rain jacket also douples as a windbreaker. there really is no need for both at the same time. expecially with the DIAD jacket youre talking about. its as light as just a windbreaker but is also water proof. asfar as insulation goes, i would at least bring a fleece. depends on when youre leaving really, but jsut my thoughts. hope that helps

bryan

Michele
01-19-2007, 15:12
I'm also starting in March for a NOBO. I too found all of the layers the most confusing, but here's how I understand it, and some ideas of what can serve each purpose, but mixing and matching is the way to go for sure.

For Hiking In-----

Base Layer: Either a short sleeved or long sleeved wicking shirt and hiking pants/shorts (some wear a lightweight wicking thermal top/bottom)

Mid-Layer (for warmth): Vest or insulative jacket (fleece/synthetic/down)

Outer-Layer (for rain/wind protection): Rain gear (Frogg Toggs, Marmot Precip are some examples)

The weather conditions will determine how you mix and match all of this, but while hiking, you'll be generating a lot of body heat. It's when you stop that you'll get cold.

For In Camp during Cold Temps (could see single digits at night for a NOBO March start)--

Base Layer--DRY thermals (wool/synthetic), DRY socks

Head: Balaclava or skull cap (fleece, wool, synthetic)

From here...you add your other components from above as needed, but the big thing is being dry or hypothermia becomes an issue in colder weather.

As for gloves, I only know what I ended up finding works for me. I owned some fleece lined gloves that were advertised as being for active people. Well..I soaked through them while hiking and had wet mittens. I ended up going with a polypro glove liner and an outer waterproof shell. Not the most insulative set-up, but I can always throw a pair of hiking socks on my hands in camp if they're freezing. While hiking, my hands are always warm.

Good luck! See you out there!!

maxNcathy
01-19-2007, 16:24
I have been hiking here lately testing gear...

I think that I will take:

1) patagonia #2 capilene short sleeved T shirt

2) Marmot DriClime jacket

3) Moonstone Storm Flight rain coat

4) Patagonia down sweater

5) fleece mittens

6)separate waterproof shell for mittens

7) OR vented baseball type cap

8) fleece balaclava

9) long nylon wind pants

10) nylon short pants

11) long patagonia#2 underwear

I have been testing this gear the last 6 weeks in all kinds of weather down to 10F and have been happy with warmth and flexibility.

Take care, Sandalwood

rswanson
01-19-2007, 16:33
I know I want a SmartWool Microweight t-shirt as my baselayer but that is about it. It just doesn't seem necessary to me to get a fleece sweater like the Marmot Reactor, an insulated layer such as a Montbell Thermawrap, a windlayer such as a Marmot Ion, and then a rain layer such as the Northface Diad jacket. To me it seems like way to many layers.

What do I really need on top of my baselayer? Will a fleece sweater, along with a Marmot Ion and a rain jacket work? Or would it be better to scratch the fleece and switch it with a Montbell Thermawrap? Or keep the fleece and use a Micropuff pullover to eliminate the wind layer?

I am just so confused as to what I will need. Just a little more information: I am not looking for winter gear here. I am looking to gear up for a late March AT hike heading north from Springer.
You're thinking is on the right track. You don't want to carry too much but of course if you find yourself with a few extra things, you can always send 'em home. The reverse is more difficult; if you're short an item or two you'll need to bear without for a period of time, which might make for some cold times, especially in March/April.

When considering secondary clothing layer you need to be prepared for three basic instances:
1. On the move; hiking
2. At rest; in camp or extended breaks
3. Precipitation occurring during either of the two above.

On the move (windshirt): In a perfect world you would hike in your baselayer but of course this isn't going to be possible all the time as you'll face different temperatures and weather. You'll need to be prepared for hiking through rain, sleet, and possibly snow and a variety of temperatures. A waterproof/breathable rain jacket is essential in helping to stay dry. You could, in theory, carry just the rain jacket but this limits your comfort level somewhat. In colder and/or windy situations, high exertion hiking in a rain jacket is uncomfortable as even the best rain jackets are not very breathable. This is where the windshirt comes in. A lightweight, highly breathable windshirt will allow you to stay on the move in a wide range of temperatures without overheating and soaking your baselayer in sweat. Wearing a heavier insulating layer is just not as functional as all but the thinnest fleece is too warm to hike in.

At rest (insulating layer): Chances are, your windshirt and/or rain jacket will not provide enough insulation for cold nights around camp. So, you'll need either a mid-to heavyweight fleece, down, or synthetic high loft jacket. I recommend high loft down or synthetic insulating piece over fleece as fleece is bulkier and heavier than other insulating layers. As this layer is usually only worn in at-rest situations, you want maximum warmth but don't need venting or much weather resistance. If it begins to rain, you simply throw your windshirt or rain jacket over your insulating layer. You should keep your insulating layer in your pack until you are in a position to stay dry. If all your clothing gets soaked at temperatures less than 60 degrees (and you can't climb in your sleeping bag) you may quickly find yourself in serious trouble. Keep your insulating layer dry! I pack mine with my sleeping bag so I know it won't get wet.

Precipitation (rain gear): As already stated, a rain jacket or poncho is absolutely necessary. You might be able to survive an early April sleet storm without rain gear but you'll really be risking hypothermia. A windshirt will provide some protection from precipitation but if you're facing more than a moderate rain shower or light snow you need something with more weather resistance. You will be limited with how much you can exert yourself without getting wet from the inside out due to perspiration. Ponchos are better ventilated than jackets but you might find yourself needing to back up the poncho with a windshirt to keep your arms dry. Some people don't carry rain pants, relying on quick drying pants to see them through, but I find them necessary during periods of extended rain, where moisture from your pants can wick up under your rain gear and soak your baselayer. If you use a poncho, I'd suggest silnylon rain chaps to save weight.

All said, out of all the layers you mention, I'd ditch the fleece in favor of a lighter, more compressible insulating layer like a down or synthetic jacket. Complement this with a fleece/wool cap or balaclava and fleece/wool liner gloves and you'll be set upstairs. For your legs, a wicking baselayer like poly tights or shorts to go along with your hiking pants or shorts is all you need. You may or may not choose to carry rain protection for your legs. Unless you're naturally cold-intolerant, insulated pants would be overkill.

rswanson
01-19-2007, 16:47
As a side note, please keep in mind that my suggestions regarding clothing are made with versitality and comfort in mind but very contingent upon weight. I always look to find the lightest, most functional solution. Budget or presonal preference may be more important factors for you. Some people wouldn't dream of hitting the trail without their trusty fleece jacket and there's nothing wrong with that. As you'll undoubtedly hear, the most important thing you can do igo hiking for a few days with your rack and see how it all works.

Jim Adams
01-19-2007, 22:57
Does anybody have any experience with the REI light weight merino wool blend top and bottom undies? How do they compare with the Smart Wool stuff?
gee

mythicyeti
02-02-2007, 01:16
Does anybody have any experience with the REI light weight merino wool blend top and bottom undies? How do they compare with the Smart Wool stuff?
gee

I used to work for REI...Their merino products are a great value. Here are a couple of things to consider:

They are a little thinner than the standard Smart Wool (note smart wool makes thinner base layers).

Their wool is not quite as fine as the Smart Wool Wool so if your sensitive you might appreciate the Smart Wool.

There are other brands out their like Arc'Teryx, Icebreaker, Ibex which make premium merino wool base layers and sometime you can find them on sale.

bigcranky
02-02-2007, 07:35
OnTheRoad--

RSwanson nailed it. Good analysis.

You say you don't want to get clothing for a winter trip, but the end of March in the mountains of North Georgia and North Carolina, it's still winter. Sure, you can get some days in the 70s, but you can also get some nights in the teens, and days where it's just raining and 29 degrees. Or it's windy and never gets above freezing. Being from Florida, you might find it much colder than you expect. (I can tell you from personal experience how shocking it is to leave home when it's sunny and 75 and get dropped off at a trailhead where it's 35 and blowing sleet sideways. Ouch.)

Have fun.

TurkeyBacon
02-02-2007, 12:01
There have been all sorts of variations posted on the basic idea. You have three layers. Include all three and you wil be fine. There are tons of options and now there are sub options. But when it comes down to it, you need long underwear, a layer of insulation and an outer layer.
Backpacking simplifies things. The base later amounts to a long sleeve and short sleeve shirt. When it gets cold, put both on. Insulation is insulation. The outerlayer needs to be waterproof, so rain gear is the usual outerlayer. Legs are not any more complicated. I hike with fleece pants year round and do not regret it (except for short summer trips). Rain pants may not be neccessary but wind pants are then. Convertables are great.
Dont forget a hat and gloves. I personally love poly liner gloves. They improve the warmth of fleece gloves and are perfect to hike in alone. A hat is neecessary.
The confusion comes in alternatives to the traditionals. Wind shirts crack me up. They seem to be revolutionary but cyclist have been using wind jackets for years now. Nice but not neccessary, but still a viable option, but not a replacement for rain gear. Insulation is getting confusing as well. Fleece or synthetic or down inulation are the traditons, but now fleece with wind blocking, or other combinations are coming about. In my opinion layer should not be combined into one garment. While they are perfect for day hikes, they complicate the backpackers clothes bag. Keep it simple. Since you live in Florida I would avoid the multi-tasking insulation layers, a basic fleece or a basic down or synthetic jacket.
A million options and they all work...
TB