PDA

View Full Version : favorite trail towns

neo
01-19-2007, 15:06
my favorite trail town south of the mason dixon line
is waynesboro viriginia
favorite north of the mason dixon line is palmerton pa,
also i really like dalton ma.home of the great rob bird at the cage.
:cool: neo

Lilred
01-19-2007, 20:03
Have only hiked the first 500 miles or so, but one of my favorite trail towns, not including Hot Springs or Damascus of course, was Troutdale. Nothing there but a cafe, but boy I sure enjoyed that little place. Met the most friendliest people there, really down to earth. Loved it.

Hot Springs, for me, was Elmer's place. Spent two days there and thoroughly enjoyed his hospitality and his meals are to die for.

Damascus, I about had to pay taxes I was there so long. LOVE IT!! I met so many wonderful people there. I've been there twice now, first time was trail days 2005 and then last summer on my section hike. Nothing but pleasant memories for me both times. I'm hoping to get there for trail days this year too. We'll see.

spittinpigeon
01-19-2007, 21:10
my favorite trail town south of the mason dixon line
is waynesboro viriginia
favorite north of the mason dixon line is palmerton pa,
also i really like dalton ma.home of the great rob bird at the cage.
:cool: neo

Waynesboro?....Why? I've spent many days there even though I hate it. No bars accessible on foot. I was there alone almost the whole time though. Nobody to drink with down by the river.
Favorite towns: Manchester Center, only near0'd there, would love to zero there sometime.
I thought Pearisburg was a ****hole as I walked in there, but the hotel made up for all of that and more.
Rangeley was cool even though I lost my memory card and my katahdin pic there.
Rutland was cool, and would definately rock on a summer weekend.
Bennington was nice too.
Vernon is nice.
I had a great time with some locals in DWG.
Duncannon is always interesting.
I like Front Royal despite the fact that it reminds me of Waynesboro.
Damascus of course.

Bloodroot
01-20-2007, 01:47
Hmmmm....Good question.

Had a good layover in Hot Springs that lasted 3 days. Had a great time.

Damascus during Trail Days and stayed the whole time...Better time.:)

Got off with trail buddies and met up with friends in Pearisburg. Went home (WV) for a couple days and had an awesome time.:cool:

Pokey2006
01-20-2007, 06:35
Hot Springs and Damascus. Nothing I have seen (GA through southern Vermont) comes even close to either one. Perhaps because it's so easy to get to them from the trail? Or it could be the southern hospitality...

mrc237
01-20-2007, 07:46
Not a town but The Inn at the Long Trail with easy access to Rutland or Killington.

rafe
01-20-2007, 09:34
Not a town but The Inn at the Long Trail with easy access to Rutland or Killington.

Agreed. And for some reason the official AT now bypasses it. :confused:

Lone Wolf
01-20-2007, 09:36

yup. "they" felt it was too dangerous to cross at the top of the hill. But you can still blue-blaze to it.

rickb
01-20-2007, 09:50
It is dangerous driving out after a few. Or even one.

I thought the AT was rerouted onto a permanently protected corridor, however. You could be right.

rafe
01-20-2007, 10:06
yup. "they" felt it was too dangerous to cross at the top of the hill. But you can still blue-blaze to it.

And of course, I did. Great place, nice memories. Beautiful climb up the Sherbourne Tr. when I left. Got a t-shirt too.

Jan LiteShoe
01-20-2007, 10:09
And of course, I did. Great place, nice memories. Beautiful climb up the Sherbourne Tr. when I left. Got a t-shirt too.

And a draft Guinness!
:)

Programbo
01-20-2007, 10:30
Harper`s Ferry of course...I used to end all my hikes there when I was younger or just go there and visit without hiking...I grew to know every street and building in and out and since it`s a historical park nothing ever changes..It looks the same now as it did in 1975......Now the AT goes right thru Harper`s Ferry but back then it was a long detour down to it and you had to illegally sneak across the train bridge to get across the river

McPick
01-20-2007, 10:42

The bartender at The Inn told me the reason the trail was moved was due to expansion plans at the Pico Ski Area. (Joining up with Killington?) However, the expansion never took place.

Or hitch up the hill, Wolf! Luckily, the bus still stops right out front of The Inn for a ride into Rutland. The bus will also stop right at the 'new' AT road crossing to drop off hikers.

Incidentally, my favorite "trail town" was the Tap Room in the basement of Big Meadows Lodge in Shenandoah Park... Bar none! ;)

Lone Wolf
01-20-2007, 10:45
Or hitch up the hill, Wolf!

why hitch when i can walk a perfectly good blue-blaze trail.

rafe
01-20-2007, 10:49
The bartender at The Inn told me the reason the trail was moved was due to expansion plans at the Pico Ski Area. (Joining up with Killington?) However, the expansion never took place.

I know that this ridge was subject to years (decades?) of litigation for protection of the AT corridor but I never heard how it all worked out. I do know that the Sherbourne is a wide, beautifully-graded trail and crosses one or two Pico slopes on the way up. Maybe it was too wide and "over-used" for the ATC's taste. Must make it steep and rocky!!!!

As to dangerous road crossings -- there are plenty on the AT. Starting with the mad dash across the road at Neels' Gap, stepping off Blood Mtn. I had quite a scare there...

Jack Tarlin
01-20-2007, 15:31
In no real particular order:

Erwin
Hot Springs
Damascus
Duncannon
Pearisbug
Franklin

And obviously Hanover.

southpaw95
01-20-2007, 16:53
Catawba anyone??

Just a Hiker
01-20-2007, 17:48
Hello,

I am always happy to get to Manchester Center, Vt. I always setup my Command Post at the McDonalds, and then I can resupply, check mail and eat in pretty short order. There is also an EMS there and one of the best coffee house/book stores on the AT. Also, if I happen to need a new Brooks Brother's suit, well I am in the right place! Take care,

Just Jim

hopefulhiker
01-21-2007, 10:39
For me it was

Hot Springs
Erwin
Damascus
Dalton
Vernon

rickb
01-21-2007, 11:03
Dalton

There was something remarkably uplifting about a small-town employee handing over the keys to thier beautifull community center (TV, Indoor Pool, the works) for the night.

They can't do that anymore, but Dalton will always bring a smile to my face.

Seems like some other good folks are carrying on that traditon of hospitality in an updated way.