PDA

View Full Version : Endless sliding in slippery slush in the stupid Smokies

maxNcathy
01-19-2007, 16:50
Those were the words of some thruhikers that I read recently in Trailjournals.

My plan is to hike north for 4 weeks from Springer and meet my wife sometime in April.

So to help me fine tune my starting date can anyone tell me when the Smokies first become more pleasant to hike than wading through deep slush on the Trail??

PS Given slush or an overload of biting bugs I would choose some slush. So I am wondering too when the bugs emerge and bite hard in the southern Appalachians.

Thanks

ed bell
01-19-2007, 17:12
Those were the words of some thruhikers that I read recently in Trailjournals.

My plan is to hike north for 4 weeks from Springer and meet my wife sometime in April.

So to help me fine tune my starting date can anyone tell me when the Smokies first become more pleasant to hike than wading through deep slush on the Trail??

PS Given slush or an overload of biting bugs I would choose some slush. So I am wondering too when the bugs emerge and bite hard in the southern Appalachians.

ThanksReally hard to put a timetable on the winter weather in the Smokys. I wouldn't fret about biting bugs too much. There is a big difference between the Winter/Spring transition down south and the the way it happens up north with the bitting bugs suddenly emerging.

Chaco Taco
01-19-2007, 17:19
There have been early April snowstorms. I am heading up 3/8- 3/18 through the Smokies so Ill let you know how it is.

Sleepy the Arab
01-19-2007, 17:54
It's really hard to predict. On my thru-hikes, I repeatedly heard horror stories about the Smokies being inundated with snow. Then I would arrive three or four days later to find the ground snow free (aside from two or three spots on the North side of Clingmans Dome). Then two or three days after leaving the Smokies, I'd hear that they would be covered in snow again.

Hm. If I have that sort of effect, I guess your best option is to pay me to hike with you. I'm cheap.

rafe
01-19-2007, 18:08
The Appalachian mountains make their own weather, and the AT in the Smokies is above 4000' almost all the way through. You might say it's "unfortunate" that most NOBO thrus will be passing thru the Smokies in less-than-optimal weather, but them's the breaks. More likely you'll get some combination of weather in your walk thru the park.

maxNcathy
01-22-2007, 17:43
From reading the journals of others recently it looks like we have a choice of sorts...go early in March and enjoy the SNOW, go early in April, and enjoy the HAIL, go early in May and enjoy the RAIN a la bugs.

This too,of course is NOT predictable.

Sandalwood

TurkeyBacon
01-23-2007, 11:35
As a result of the high elevations, there are very few bugs. I've yet to be on the AT in the summer but I bet there aren't to many bugs on the AT in the summer either. Bugs don't like ridgelines.
TB

Rain Man
01-23-2007, 11:46

I hiked throught the GSMNP during my nephew's Spring Break, April before last. We never had any "deep slush." Here's what we did have--

Snow on the ground
Slight rain showers
Slush over our ankles
Cold blustery winds
Sunshine
Sweaty warmth
Nice footpaths
Mucky footpaths
Warm gentle breezes
Alpine scents
Views to high heaven
Fog and clouds galore
Blue skies and puffy white clouds
Sunrises and sunsets
No bugs, but lots of people
A few climbs and few descents

In short, we had a big variety.

Rain:sunMan

maxNcathy
01-23-2007, 13:37
I hiked throught the GSMNP during my nephew's Spring Break, April before last. We never had any "deep slush." Here's what we did have--

Snow on the ground
Slight rain showers
Slush over our ankles
Cold blustery winds
Sunshine
Sweaty warmth
Nice footpaths
Mucky footpaths
Warm gentle breezes
Alpine scents
Views to high heaven
Fog and clouds galore
Blue skies and puffy white clouds
Sunrises and sunsets
No bugs, but lots of people
A few climbs and few descents

In short, we had a big variety.

Rain:sunMan

Now that mix does not sounds one bit boring. I love variety. Thanks, Rain :sun Man