PDA

View Full Version : Did Whimsy finish in 2006?

jmcmichen
01-19-2007, 18:04
I met Whimsy and his wife while descending Mt. Katahdin on 9.11.06 and wondered if he finished his thru hike. I believe his name was Harvey and hers Nadine. He had hiked the AT from Ga to Va, then jumped to Maine because of the heat and planned on finishing his thru hike Sobo. I believe he was from Tn. If you met him he probably showed you a cute trick with a wooden whirlygig. Those of us who live here in Maine and met him that day have wanted to know how he did, so any info would be appreciated.

Marta
01-19-2007, 18:30
I met him while he was hiking north, just south of 501 Shelter. He said he was not expecting to finish in 2006. He said he had decided New England was too tough for him to get through in good weather. He had gone back to where he got off and started NOBO again, and was planning to get off for the winter in New York.

Lilred
01-19-2007, 18:36
Met Whimsey South of Kincora and hiked off and on till just past Damascus. Yes, he was very entertaining with his YeeeeHaw Whimsey doodle stick. Kept a crowd of over 25 quite entertained at Kincora with it. Great Guy!!

jmcmichen
01-20-2007, 16:18
Thanks Marta and Lilredmg! I hope he finishes next year. I'll look for him here in 07. Any other responders still very welcome - it's nice to keep track of people.