PDA

View Full Version : Gear List for your review and Comment

Yankee
07-06-2003, 09:33
Where: AT Section Hike Indian Grave Gap North Carolina to US 19E Trailhead N.C. (+/- 40 miles)
When: Begin Saturday July 26th, planning 4 days, 3 nights
Who: Myself and one companion

My personal gear list...I'm sure Im missing stuff or forgotten to write it down :-? , feel free to comment or make suggestions

Changes in blue

Hard gear:

Pack: Gregory Forester Medium Link (http://www.gregorypacks.com/prod.php?ID=10) (new)
Bag: LaFuma 1Kilo (35 deg) Link (http://www.backpacker.com/article/0,2646,1682,00.html) (new)
Pad: Thermarest Full Length (borrowed)
Tent: Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight Link (http://www.sierradesigns.com/cgi-bin/driver.pl?index=3&conf=tent_show_03) (borrowed)
Stove: MSR Dragonfly with large Fuel Bottle (borrowed)
Cookpot: 2 liter Aluminum with lid (borrowed)
Utensils: 1 lexan spork
Cup: Lightweight thermal mug
Water Filter: MSR Mini-EX (new)
Water Bottles: 2 Nalgene 1-liter
Hydration Bladder: 1 2-liter Gregory

Clothing:

2 Nylon Wicking T-shirts
1 Fleece Sweatshirt
2 Nylon Ex-Offico Explorer Hiking shorts
1 Nylon Ex-Officio Explorer Convertibles
3 Pair Smartwool Hvy Wgt Hikers
2 Pair Thorlo Hvy Wgt Hikers
4 pair Boxer Briefs
Poncho or Rainjacket

Footwear:

Asolo Fusion 99 Gortex Hikers
Teva Sandals

Food:

4 Mountain House Breakfast Items
2 Packets Instant Oatmeal
4 Mountain House Dinner Entrees (2 servings each)
3 Dessert Entrees
8 1 oz Kippered BeefSteaks
8 Clif Bars
10 Instant Coffee Bags
2 Hot Chocolates
Assorted Condiments/spices

Hygiene:

Toothbrush and small tube paste
bottle handwash
2 Remnants Toilet paper
Bandana

Misc:

Princeton Aurora Headlamp
Magellan Sportrak Handheld GPS
Spare Batteries for above
Trail Map
First Aid Kit
DEET
4" Pocket Knife
Bic Lighter

max patch
07-06-2003, 12:42
real quick comments:

1. mountain house may say "serves 2" on a package but it really doesn't. a "serves 2" package is really only enough for one. (wasn't clear if the food was for only you or for both hikers.

2. don't "need" a gps, although if you want to use it as an interesting diversion or "toy" then its ok.

3. don't bring boxers; good way to start chafing. hiking shorts should have a liner (swimsuit style) and you don't need to wear additional underwear.

4. don't need deodorant.

5. need alcohol hand sanitizer.

6. need shell in case of rain.

7. first aid kit; especially stuff for blisters.

Peaks
07-06-2003, 16:46
If you are going to carry a filter, then exchange that new one for the Kataydin Hiker. It pumps much faster than others.

You might consider trying chemical treatment of the water. Many thru-hikers use Acqa Mira or one of the other chemicals to treat water.

Dances with Mice
07-06-2003, 17:56
Hard Gear:
Leave - knife and fork from the Lexan set
Replace - the metal coffee cup with a lighter plastic cup.
Add - Pocket knife? Matches?

Clothing -
Leave - 1 T-shirt, 1 pair shorts, 1 pair heavy socks, and all the boxers! Good comment in previous thread about underwear.
Add - Hat? Raingear? Bandana?

Hygiene:
Leave - Deodorant.
Add - Hand sanitizer, soap (Dr. B's?). 1st aid kit.

Jaybird
07-07-2003, 05:44
Yankee:

In July in the mountains of NC/TN its very warm & humid...take only 1 pair of convertible pants.

NO FLEECE NEEDED IN JULY!!!!!!!!!!

2 pairs of boxers??????????????? WHY?

2 pair of "Lite hikers" socks is plenty. (& i'd only use the 2nd pair if i fell into a creek or mudhole!)

cooking materials: pot & stove & a spork (nothin else needed)

FOOD: you have enuff for 5 days( for 2) & will probably return from your trip with about half of it.

Forget the deoderant & 2nd roll of toilet paper & washcloth

U wont need more than your 2 Nalgene (32oz) bottles on that section.

If your headlamp is an LED.. put "fresh" batteries in the day you leave & forget the "spares".

go to a local store (Walmart, Kmart, etc) & get a travelers kit (small toothbrush, small toothpaste) weighs about 2 or 3 oz.

i speak from experience, as do most hikers....i started my 1st hike with 55lbs on my back....my last hike i had less than 30lbs & that included food & water!

"Jaybird"

www.trailjournals.com/JaybirdandJigsaw

Penscal
07-09-2003, 13:55
May be a toy, but for me I would find it interesting to track elevation, miles traveled, barometic pressure etc. - if yours does that. I plan to take one with me on next trip in October 03, for fun, and as a toy. Can't recall model but it was small, light. arond $150.00, does all the above mentioned things, and was on Backpacker's Magazine best pick list last month.

Also agree with clothes and hygiene stuff, your carrying way too much stuff. No matter what you do, hiking in late July, #1, you are going to sweat, #2, you are going to stink, #3 even if it doesn't rain your going to be soaked from sweating. Carry a hiking shirt and 1 camp shirt.

One thing I didn't see on your list that I find worth while is a sven saw for fire, and a solo H20 shower, little amenities, alittle more wt, but for me I want to ensure #1. I have tools to make a fire, #2. I eat and drink, #3 if I get wet I have a means to dry off. Also, fires make a lonely night not so lonely if you end up camping alone.

Also get some water proof matches and backup lighter in case one malfunctions.

rickb
07-09-2003, 20:06
RE the last post-- Not sure if the newer GPS units are any better, but for some reason my older one is pathetic insofar as ability to determine elevation. I have fun with a Casio that does well with that.

Pehaps I just need a new toy that works better, but part of me thinks that none of the hiking GPS units do all that well with elevation. Could 100% wrong though.

DebW
07-09-2003, 20:23
Some GPS units have built-in barometers to track elevation. Those that rely on GPS altitude don't do very well.

Penscal
07-09-2003, 21:27
www.backpacker.com

About 10 GPS reviews, full range of what apparently is out there for hikers, go to search, type in GPS, go to second or third review link - seems Garmin Etrex Summit is promising - given cost, wt. and never having used it. Will be using it next trip

Jaybird
07-10-2003, 05:53
come on guys...lets be honest...GPS units are just a new TOY to keep us entertained for a few minutes.

BUT.......................................if you have to have one to impress the friends......GARMIN seems to have cornered the market on most of the liteweight GPS units.

the GARMIN GEKO 201 is SUPER small, ( 3oz) waterproof & a whole load of spiffy features for about $150.

www.garmin.com

"Jaybird"
www.trailjournals.com/JAYBIRDandJIGSAW

Yankee
07-10-2003, 12:19
I'll be using the gps primarily as a way to keep track of my progress, and to help me make decisions on what to do should some bad weather start to blow in. If you are interested, heres a picture from a mapping program I use that downloads waypoints into the unit...

this is a very large image, not modem friendly

http://www.mw4online.com/images/atf.png

grey tags are gaps
light blue = campsites along the trail
yellow = shelters
dark blue = summits