PDA

View Full Version : Old Clip Flashlight

mambo_tango
01-19-2007, 22:53
An older lady that lives about 5 miles from my house lent me some of her tents that she used when she hiked part of the trail about 10 or so years back. 2 of them are some unidentifiable eureka tents and the other is a barely used clip flashlight. She bought it for her son but it was used maybe 2 or 3 times (He died a few years back - got hit by a car). It is pretty light and since I am trying to keep my budget as low as possible I think I am going to seam seal it and take it with me. Anyone know the plus/negative sides to this tent?:-?

She is an interesting lady (70s?) and she gave me a bunch of her books, notes, and pictures along with a few odds and ends. She wants to go with me but her husband won't let her.:p

rafe
01-19-2007, 23:11
The Clip flashlight has been used by serious thru-hikers since the late 1980s. Mainly by couples. It's light for a 2-person tent, heavy for a solo tent.

Tipi Walter
01-20-2007, 01:00
Until recently it was the most popular tent on the trail. Hoop design(modified A-frame). I think the wedges have taken over(two-poled "square" dome design, you know, you see them everywhere now). The two poles cross at the top in the middle and pull out the four corners, etc.

What's the difference between a hoop and a tunnel tent? They are both modified A-frames but the tunnel has equal length poles while the hoop has different length poles. Herr Doktor Walter on Tents.

Sly
01-20-2007, 01:06
I carried one on the AT... it's a good tent. You're young, you should be able to handle the extra pound or two.

mambo_tango
01-20-2007, 01:35
You're young, you should be able to handle the extra pound or two.

:D:D:D Well, I weighed it (roughly) and it comes to 3ish pounds. I am afraid I don't have an exact scale. I am going to try to keep my pack weight around 30 pounds with food..

Egads
01-20-2007, 08:27
Sierra Designs states the trail weight to be 3-11. My 2005 Clip weighs out about a pound heavier with the fly, groundcloth, & stakes. I switched to a hammock, less than 2 lbs, packs smaller, & does not require level ground to use.

The tent came factory seam sealed & has been tight as a drum except when set up in a low spot once. Ventilation is slightly below average when the fly is on & guyed out. It could use a top vent. Vestibule is adequate for 1 pack, shoes & gear. The zipper on the fly should have been better quality as my teeth pulled apart above the zipper. The Clip is Not Freestanding which is not necessarily a problem. The Clip has handled ~30 mph winds w/o any problems.

I find the tent size to be acceptable for solos & hiking with my 8 yo. It is way too small for my 6'-2" son & I together. I'm considering a Big Agnes SL3, Tarp tent Rainshadow 2, or a Black Diamond Skylight for these occasions, all lighter & larger than the Clip; for when I want more space.

The bottom line: The tent will work, but you & your sister will probably spend more nights in shelters than in the tent. Consider using the fly & groundcloth "Fastpack" option in the mountains & having the tent sent to you when you hit the lowlands & need bug protection. You can't beet the price that you paid. Spend the saved money on your sleeping bag.

Egads

Touch of Grey
01-20-2007, 09:11
I agree Egads, I also have one of these and really enjoy it still to some extent but have converted to Hanging as much as is possible.

That said I am 6'3" and most solo tents were way to small for me and the gear. That was my main reason for going with this tent. Yes it is cramped otherwise for someone like me with anything at all else with me. My dog (a Bullmastiff) sometimes accompanies me on trips and we both are cramped in it. Otherwise the only other problem if you will is exactly as Egads said, in certain conditions even well setup it does tend to trap condensation and limit air flow. A top vent would be great and help with most, if not all of this issue. I still use it from time to time.

Overall though it is a good tent.

TOG

mambo_tango
01-20-2007, 13:28
Well... I am 5'8'' so I am thinking it might be perfect for me plus my gear. Thanks for the great posts guys!

weary
01-20-2007, 14:45
I used a clip flashlight for years. I found it took a little more care to erect it taunt, but once I did so it worked fine, summer and winter. Until a few years ago it was the most used tent I saw on long distance trails.

The zippers are fragile, but the sliders can be replaced with a kit sold by Campmor, and that usually solves the problem.

Weary

Two Speed
01-20-2007, 16:54
One more hiker that used a SD Clip Flashlight back in the day. Great tent, but heavy by today's standards. If your budget is tight enough that you're seriously considering this particular tent I'd set it up and smoke it over thoroughly for weak spots, etc. If it's been stored properly, moderate temps, out of the sunlight, dry, etc it should be just fine if you don't mind the weight. FWIW I got over 15 years of occasional use out of mine, and was still going strong when I gave it to a friend.

Considering that it's a double wall tent I'll offer a strategy: start out with the Clip, when the weather's colder, and have a little spare cash to "score" a tarp from someone who's dropping off the trail or changing shelters. Later, in New England, when the temps start dropping off, go back to the Clip.

Sleepy the Arab
01-20-2007, 19:26
I've used a Clip Flashlight for all of my hikes save for the one in 2001. It's popularity has waned since '99 thanks to the advent of tarps, hammocks and tarp-tents, but I feel no reason to switch. It is reliable, roomy and quick to set up. My only issue is that it is not free-standing, and that is a minor one indeed.

If it's free, you won't find much better.

the_iceman
01-21-2007, 00:11
I used a clip lite and still own one. It weighs around a pound more than my Bug Agnes Seedhouse SL-2 and is not as roomy but hey if it is free then that means a lot. It is more of a 1.5 person tent.

As mentioned it is not freestanding but I never had a problem setting it up. I also made a door that velcro's over the screen door and used it winters in the White's. The one bad thing is the fly waterproofing gets "sticky" over time. I talked to the manufacturer and the solution is to replace it or to somehow remove the water proofing and retreat it. At this point we just "peel it" apart when we use it.

Peaks
01-21-2007, 10:11
I used a clip lite and still own one. It weighs around a pound more than my Bug Agnes Seedhouse SL-2 and is not as roomy but hey if it is free then that means a lot. It is more of a 1.5 person tent.

As mentioned it is not freestanding but I never had a problem setting it up. I also made a door that velcro's over the screen door and used it winters in the White's. The one bad thing is the fly waterproofing gets "sticky" over time. I talked to the manufacturer and the solution is to replace it or to somehow remove the water proofing and retreat it. At this point we just "peel it" apart when we use it.

With time, almost every coated fabric will start to break down and become "sticky." I've had it happen with rain gear, pack covers, tarps, tents, etc. For me, that makes a good reason to replace the item. I have not had good luck with recoating an item.

PS: Our clip flashlight is still going strong. Used it for 2 weeks at Philmont last summer, but is starting to leak a little around the top of the hoop. I gotta check that out before I take it out next time.

MOWGLI
01-21-2007, 10:19
:D:D:D Well, I weighed it (roughly) and it comes to 3ish pounds.

3 pounds is not "heavy" as has been suggested by others here. It's a great tent! I carried one during my hike. If you can add tis to your gear list and save yourself $150-$250 by doing it, I say go for it!

Have a great hike!

Lyle
01-21-2007, 12:20
I have an earlier, sleeved version (not the clip system) of the Flashlight. Excellent tent, actually had my first one stolen, bought a replacement.

Make sure you seal the seams. When I bought mine, Sierra Designs claimed that their use of a cotton fiber in the thread meant that the thread would swell when wet, thus sealing the needle holes in the seam. They advertised that sealing was not so important. This did not work so well in practice as in theory, and most everyone chose to seal the seams.

If the coating appears intact, I would guess that it will serve you very well.

I don't use mine much now, have changed to a tarp, but still loan it out to friends.

As far as not being freestanding, that was never an issue. I've even set it up inside of Gravel Springs Hut and Tom Floyd Wayside during a blizzard years ago, just slid the pegs into cracks in the floor - worked fine.

MOWGLI
01-21-2007, 12:39
Regarding the coating, that's why my clip flashlite bit the dust. It simply wuldn't shed water any longer. A tent that leaks is a tent that has exhausted its usefulness.

I suggest you set the tent up in the backyard if there is some expected rainfall. Check it carefully for leaks, and make sure that water is beading on the rain fly.

Sly
01-21-2007, 15:33
Regarding the coating, that's why my clip flashlite bit the dust. It simply wuldn't shed water any longer. A tent that leaks is a tent that has exhausted its usefulness.

I suggest you set the tent up in the backyard if there is some expected rainfall. Check it carefully for leaks, and make sure that water is beading on the rain fly.

The Clip I used on the AT I bought used. By the time I got to Katahdin the coated nylon on the floor had delaminated allowing water to seep through the bottom. Held to the sun you could easily see the problem.

bigben
01-23-2007, 14:23
The SD Clip Flashlight is my solo BPing tent. I looked high and low and for the money I spent (I got a 2005 on year end closeout from Campmor for $199.95) nothing comes close. I'm big (6'3" 285lbs) and I can't even imagine sleeping comfortably in anything smaller. I tarp from time to time, though. Throw in a piece of Tyvek and all 13 stakes and mine's closer to 4 1/2 lbs packed, but I could care less. It sets up fast and easy, keeps the hard rain out, fits IN my pack, I can sit up in it, and holds me and all my stuff comfortably inside. Getting pants on and off is my only gripe about it; with the way it tapers and my size and lack of flexibility, I wind up kissing the roof every time.

What others have siad: it's probably not even close to the "best" tent out there, but you cannot go wrong with it from a build and usage point of view IF it fits your specific needs and situation.

Bigben

bigben
01-23-2007, 14:24
Mistype: it cost me $119.95, not $199.95. Sorry

Bigben