PDA

View Full Version : Sil-nylon seams

Salted Slug
01-20-2007, 00:14
Does anyone have advice on what kind of seams to sew for tarps, etc.? A single thread seam leaves the cut edge exposed to wear and tear, possibly leading to seam failure. I know store bought gear uses double seams, sewn with a "hemming foot" on the machine that essentially wraps the cut edge inward. Any thoughts?

Big Dawg
01-20-2007, 10:12
I would fold edges twice, then sew a double line (one line at a time).

If you're attaching 2 pieces, then you can use a flat felled seam for the centerline. See diagram.... http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/SewTarp.htm

Salted Slug
01-20-2007, 10:53
Thanks Dawg! The link cleared up a lot of things for me. I assume pinning the hems doesn't cause concern for puncturing the fabric, or is there a better way?

Ever tried paperclips?

Big Dawg
01-20-2007, 13:01
Thanks Dawg! The link cleared up a lot of things for me. I assume pinning the hems doesn't cause concern for puncturing the fabric, or is there a better way?

Ever tried paperclips?

No problem Slug. I pinned my hems. Never tried paper clips,,,, you'd just have to pull out each clip right before the sewing needle created the stitching. The edges are no big deal, as the rain's gonna run off the end anyway, what's another 1/4 inch pin hole gonna hurt. As far as pinning the centerline, seam sealing is gonna cover any pin holes. Have fun!

karo
01-20-2007, 22:45
I have been wondering about attaching 2 pieces of sil-nylon together with sil-net. Since you really need to seal the seams anyway, why not seal them together with this stuff. I have sealed my tarp's seams and a couple of L-shaped holes a deer put in it at Sipsey last year. That stuff is extremely durable and looks like it would make a permanent bond.

camper10469
01-21-2007, 11:48
GE Household silcone sealant...

When making any seams I use a very thinn smear of the stuff, wait till it cures for about an hour. This will hold my material together, making sewing much easier because this stuff is like handeling mercury, it runs everywhere.

Bonjour
01-21-2007, 17:23
Here is another link about sewing nylon kites that might help. I'm in the process of making a tent and have some of the same questions that you have. One person told me to be careful of glueing the seams because it can foul up the needle and bobbin. I wonder if super glue would work since it dries hard?
BTW a chisel tip on a wood burner works great form cutting the slippery stuff.
http://www.geocities.com/gengvall/sew/sew.html
Bonjour

Salted Slug
01-21-2007, 23:42
Thanks for the link ... lots of good info. I have to agree about the gluing ... it sounds like an easy way to get frustrated. At a minimum ... I would wait a day to make sure it's dry before sewing through it. I did sew a test seam last night that turned out decent. Pinning the material does take a lot of time.

The wood burner sounds like a great idea ... I may try mounting one on a board ... similar to a router table, so I have both hands on the material. It would really suck to toast a finger, or even worse ... screw up a good tent!

Bonjour
02-03-2007, 18:45
I will use a silicone seam sealer on all of the seams. Does anyone know if it is also necessary to use seam tape?
I have been using the super glue and it works reasonably well.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-04-2007, 05:49
Check out this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19898) for more tips.

hammock engineer
02-04-2007, 05:57
Do a search on a flat-felled seam. It ivolves folding and sewing 3 seams where the 2 pieces connect. I just finished a tarp for my hammock with this and think it is a very strong seam. Especially when sealant is added.