PDA

View Full Version : heckuva hike

copythat
01-20-2007, 00:50
:) WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — Everest conqueror and Antarctic explorer Sir Edmund Hillary has returned to the frozen continent — at age 87 :eek: — for what he believes will be his last time.
Hillary joined New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark and other dignitaries who flew to Antarctica for the 50th anniversary of the Scott Base, which the adventurer helped build in 1957.
“This is probably the last opportunity that I will get to visit the wintery south,” Hillary said Friday, the day after he arrived.
Hillary helped lead a team to the South Pole in 1955. He was the first person to drive to the pole, using a modified farm tractor.
The trip came two years after Hillary and sherpa Tenzing Norgay became the first people to climb Mount Everest, the world's tallest peak.
Hillary, who still travels widely to Nepal and elsewhere, last visited Antarctica two years ago.
“I was always prepared to come back one more time,” said Hillary, whose comments were reported by New Zealand media traveling with the anniversary delegation. “I don't think it'll ever happen again, but this is a marvelous return.”

RAT
01-20-2007, 01:18
87 yrs old. What a guy. Lost his wife and daughter in crash in 75. He has conquered alot in his lifetime. Reckon he gets commissions from all those cheap Hillary tents ?? lol Thanks for posting this copythat,

RAT

Bloodroot
01-20-2007, 01:35
Could you imagine this guys life experiences? I read of him often.

I felt a indescribable means of personal accomplishment after hiking the A.T, but imagine your life at his age and being able to reflect on some of the things he has done and accomplished?

Old Hillwalker
01-20-2007, 10:10
I wonder if he still wears his custom Peter Limmer boots?