PDA

View Full Version : Hey I wonder if anyone has used this tent before

fonsie
01-20-2007, 05:06
:-? :banana Im thinking of going realy lite with the GoLite Hut 2, wich is 1 lb 2 ounces and a golite tarp that weighs 3 ounces. So basicly my monster size tent would weigh 1 lb 6 ounces and I can get 2 fellow hikers in it If I wanted to.

Hana_Hanger
01-20-2007, 06:15
Just a little confused here...the GoLite Hut 2 is a tarp already why would you need a second GoLite Tarp?

fonsie
01-20-2007, 06:24
for the ground cloth....It's floorles

maxNcathy
01-20-2007, 15:21
Hi Fonsie, Before you buy anything consider carefully,bug protection,waterproofness in side winds, freestanding when surface hard,condensation proof so the wetness doesn't drip drip drip down upon you under certain conditions,how strong winds will affect it from different directions(the winds can get very fierce and change directions during the night).
I tested a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 and it passed the test as mentioned above.
I am not knocking the tarp you are choosing I just think we should consider much more than weight. Whatever you get TEST it before you start the long hike so you don't have to avoid your shelter due to high winds etc.

keep well, Max/ Sandalwood

MrHappy
01-20-2007, 21:16
I don't know about you but for me the biggest reason for carrying a tent is bug control, which rules out tarps for me.

maxNcathy
01-22-2007, 17:27
I don't know about you but for me the biggest reason for carrying a tent is bug control, which rules out tarps for me.

Flying bugs,snakes, and last but not least ants,ants,ants, and more biting ants.

fonsie
01-23-2007, 00:26
yea I might go with the big agnes seedhouse sl1....its bigger and lighter than my hubba that I been useing. I just want the extra space but lighter for my thru hike.....I don't want to be in a hubba for 6 months.

Jim Adams
01-23-2007, 02:04
Check out an Iota. It's about the same design as a Hubba but 5sq. ft. more space. Price on ebay from retailers is $150.
geek

Jim Adams
01-23-2007, 02:21
Fonsie,
Forgot to mention, I'm a tarp guy myself. Far more room, as dry as a tent if set up properly, able to stand up inside, can sleep3-4 comfortably and a 10x10 silnylon only weights 15oz. and costs around $100. Use tyvek for a ground cloth and as far as bugs go, on both of my thru hikes I used DEET less than 5 times per hike. If you decide to go with a tarp, GET IT NOW AND PRACTICE SETTING IT UP IN DIFFERENT CONFIGURATIONS NOW! You do not want to be attempting to learn this stuff in a wind or rain storm on the trail. Pay close attention to drainage direction before setting the tarp up and keep the sides as low as possible (1"--2") above the ground. If you set it up by tying one corner to a tree approx. 7' above the ground and then pull the opposite corner out and tying it to another tree or rock, log, etc. at ground level with the low end into the wind, then pull the sides out and tie them at ground level, you have an arrowhead shape faced into the wind. Don't set it up so that it runs off the tarp and then back under it. Tie ALL gromets down to secure it and avoid flap. You can use hiking poles inside to make more headroom and pull it more tight. I used this set-up in Hurricane Hugo for 2 1/2 days and stayed totally dry.
geek