PDA

View Full Version : Weird / odd / unusual uses for:

Doctari
01-20-2007, 09:37
There is a post for “other uses for hiking poles” by sir bingo, it got me to thinking about some of the uses we invent for our hiking gear to make (force it?) it do double or more duty. Such as:
Your hydration bladder as a pillow, Bandanna as a water filter, Frisbee as a plate / bowl, tent stake as shovel for digging “cat hole”, etc.

No need to answer all the questions, but; What: Weird / odd / unusual things have you used your gear for? Did it work? Are you still using it? Any Ideas, not yet put to use? Any Ideas tried but didn’t exactly work as intended?

Heck, lets include (if you want) gear used that was in no way intended for hiking, like: aluminum cans turned into stoves, Wall Mart grease pots as cook pots, Zip Loc bags for cooking in, etc.

Failures are acceptable, as long as you made an honest effort. I suppose also as long as no one died from the attempt, I guess, sigh. :rolleyes: BUT, if it killed you, we would love to hear the story, preferably first hand. :p

Doctari

jlb2012
01-20-2007, 09:49
I was always reluctant to carry a bear canister because of weight until I saw a friend of mine using it as something to sit on so I now use one as:
1. food protection - no more bear bagging - complete protection from mice, raccoons etc.
2. stool for sitting on as well as a step stool
3. table for cooking or whatever
4. bucket for washing or carrying water

rafe
01-20-2007, 10:11
I remember agonizing over what camera to take with me in 1990. I had a Nikon FE that I dearly loved but it was heavy. I ended up taking a cheaper lighter SLR, a Ricoh KR-5. Anyway, one of my hiking buddies at home joked, "Hey, if you take the Nikon, you won't need a rock for your tent stakes."

map man
01-20-2007, 12:02
I use a couple of sylnylon stuff sacks as overmitts in cool to cold weather, worn over light glove liners. One stuff sack came with my micropuff jacket and the other came with my tent. They're different colors, and a little bigger than I need, but they are very light and I have just as much manual dexterity in them as I would with any other light mitten shell. I got the idea when I was on the verge of pluncking down something like $25 for some sylnylon mitten shells from one of the companies specializing in ultralight equipment, when I realized that they really didn't seem much different than a glorified stuff sack. And thus a brilliant cheapskate idea was born!

And second, I have a creative use for a couple plastic twist caps off of soda bottles. I use a couple of tent poles (I don't use trekking poles) and they are narrow enough that they would sink into the ground if the ground is soft or wet. The tent manufacturer recommends looking around for flat rocks to set them of top of, but since you can't always find a couple of flat rocks I pack the two bottle caps with my tent stakes and use those. Since bottle caps aren't hiking gear I realize they aren't doing "double duty," but I am using them for something other than their intended purpose.

Spock
01-20-2007, 17:18
Platypus with extra cap drilled with small hole: shower, bidet, wound irrigation, water fights in camp.
Pack cover: gear hammock, water bag, bathtub, laundry tub.
Poncho/tarp: OK, not unusual. The attached stuff sack is a pocket when set up as a tarp.
Silk bandanna: floaty strainer, face mask when sleeping in cold, sun protection, bandage.
Ziploc 1-cup storage cup: cup
Ziplocs as wallet: ID, Med info, credit cards, cash.

Topcat
01-20-2007, 17:57
Platypus with extra cap drilled with small hole: shower, bidet......

Bidet?????? now that is a touch of luxury on the trail. Who'd of thunk it...:D

Jester2000
01-20-2007, 20:09
Bag o' Tricks uses the plastic gloves they have at gas stations for hiking. For virtually no weight you get little vapor barriers for your hands!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-20-2007, 20:22
Platypus with extra cap drilled with small hole: shower, bidet....::: Female dino puts Spock in her will for this suggestion :::

Seeker
01-24-2007, 15:27
-water bladder: makes a nice pillow.

-hammock tree huggers w/carabiners, hung off pack strap: thumb loops (credit JustJeff for the idea).

-Blue Foam sit pad: i have used it as a kitchen table, for sitting on, as a rain cover for the top of my pack, as a bellows for a campfire, as insulation for the foot end of my hammock, and draped over a hammock ridgeline, to keep my overhead light from shining out sideways while trying to be stealthy (hang socks at either end to block those sides). oh, and to stand on while getting into my hammock.

-tent stakes: pot stand for an alchy stove.

-sleeping bag stuff sack: added a fleece patch to one side, stuff with extra stuff, and use as a pillow.

-spare socks: mittens.

-hammock underquilt: "lounging around camp'' jacket.

moxie
01-24-2007, 18:02
Nalgene bottle filled with hot water, warms your sleeping bag and won't freeze overnight so you don't have to melt ice or snow to make breakfast. (yes, I have had a nalgene freeze up, in Georgia, in April) My clothing bag has always been my pillow. A leatherman is perfect to crush tics . A bandana ia a bug shield, a hat, a water filter, a pot holder, a towel. a bandage, and I once actually saw a hiker blow her nose on one. With two or threee safety pins your backpack is a great place to hang and dry underware or socks you wash along the trail. If you carry hand sanitizer it can double as a fire starter but the falme is blue.

nhalbrook
01-24-2007, 19:21
Bidet?????? now that is a touch of luxury on the trail. Who'd of thunk it...:D

Some like to wash what they eat. :banana

mnof1000v
01-25-2007, 16:15
I usually am able to use my spare clothes as a pillow. But a few times last March and early April, I wound up in temperatures below my sleeping bag's rating, and had to wear every stitch of clothing I carried. That left me with no pillow, which presented a problem. Being the creative type I am, I tossed my Waldies into my clothes stuff sack, and used them as a pillow.

Not the most comfortable, but they will do in a pinch!:banana

hopefulhiker
01-25-2007, 22:40
I had this little piece of blue pad. I kept it in my front pack (luxury lite pack). It served to protect my camera and mp3 player while I hiked. If i came to a good resting spot I would just pull it out and use it for a sitting pad. If I wanted to cook I would use it for a make shift prep/eating surface. I used it as a door mat in front of my tent, as part of a pillow for my head or feet, or put it between my bony knees while I slept. I really liked that little blue piece of pad...

whitefoot_hp
01-29-2007, 15:38
i once used used a sleeping bag for a nap... does that count?

TDale
01-29-2007, 16:54
FedEx/UPS/DHL padded tyvek mailer bags:

sit pad, food cozy, tent doormat, pillow, stuff sack for camera, just too handy

jlb2012
01-29-2007, 16:59
hummm - although I personally have not done this I am wondering if anyone carries a piece of blue foam or other similar padded stuff with a cutout hole that has been duct tape hinged suitably sized for putting on a privy seat during cold weather?

Toolshed
01-29-2007, 17:03
That left me with no pillow, which presented a problem. Being the creative type I am, I tossed my Waldies into my clothes stuff sack, and used them as a pillow.

Waddies???? Scrunched up dirty underwear????

vipahman
01-29-2007, 17:48
My Ti stakes do quad duty: tent stakes, poop hole maker, and WhisperLite stove stand (I got rid of the stock 3-piece folding stand).

Skidsteer
01-29-2007, 19:33
hummm - although I personally have not done this I am wondering if anyone carries a piece of blue foam or other similar padded stuff with a cutout hole that has been duct tape hinged suitably sized for putting on a privy seat during cold weather?

...Or douse the seat with hand santizer and light it. :D

Warm seat and no cooties.

Just a joke, people. Don't try this at home.

Jester2000
01-29-2007, 19:45
A bandana ia a bug shield, a hat, a water filter, a pot holder, a towel. a bandage, and I once actually saw a hiker blow her nose on one. . .

I don't think I'm allowed to say what I use my bandana for. Hey, Mox -- remember what you told me you were going to call your book about the AT?

I use my boot for a pillow and my pack to elevate my legs, which keeps them and my feet unswollen.

mudhead
01-29-2007, 19:47
Peanut butter jar as coffee cup. Failure. Sounded like a good idea.

Skidsteer
01-29-2007, 20:08
Peanut butter jar as coffee cup. Failure. Sounded like a good idea.

Oh no.

Did it stick to the roof of your mouth?

:welcome to WB, Mudhead!

hobbit
01-30-2007, 10:26
ok don't tell anyone but I have a prototype for a hammock (speer type) that is a backpack and the straps and stakes all work as parts of the bag (tarp as the cover) the stakes as the pack stays, tree huggers as shoulder straps, and sleeping pad as structure for the pack

but its a prototype as of now but soon its gonna be done

has anyone done this before

(i hope not cause I was kinda impressed with myself for coming up with this.)

All the best

Hobbit

Skidsteer
01-30-2007, 20:02
ok don't tell anyone but I have a prototype for a hammock (speer type) that is a backpack and the straps and stakes all work as parts of the bag (tarp as the cover) the stakes as the pack stays, tree huggers as shoulder straps, and sleeping pad as structure for the pack

but its a prototype as of now but soon its gonna be done

has anyone done this before

(i hope not cause I was kinda impressed with myself for coming up with this.)

All the best

Hobbit

Nice idea. Need someone to test it? ;)

hobbit
01-30-2007, 22:49
haha maybe

The Doctor
01-31-2007, 16:04
Definately the clothes stuffsack for a pillow. Dental Floss for a sewing kit. Raingear for a footprint/moisture barrier at camp.