PDA

View Full Version : Next step up from Vapor Trail?

rafe
01-20-2007, 10:23
Let's say I want at least the same volume (3600 cubes) and at least the same load capacity (say, 25-30 lbs.) What's a comfy, light pack that might be the "next step up" from a Granite Gear Vapor Trail? Mainly, what I think I need is a stiffer internal frame than what's in the Vapor Trail.

Would it be the GG Nimbus Ozone? GG Latitude Vapor? Osprey Atmos 65? ULA Circuit? Any other ideas?

It mustn't weigh more than 3 to 3.5 lbs or so; otherwise I'll just stick with my tried & true Camp Trails (about 4.25 lbs.)

PJ 2005
01-20-2007, 11:46
the only difference between the vapor trail and the nimbus ozone is the max weight, so i would go that route. it weighs 3 lbs, handles 40 lbs, and doesn't require careful packing as much as the lighter ggs.

what i LOVE about (some) granite gear packs is the ability to extend the pack upwards... allows for un-stuff sacked sleeping bags and bulky winter gear. plus, you can just dump everything out in one motion!

PJ 2005
01-20-2007, 11:48
i should warn that i've never used the nimbus ozone, but i am extremely pleased with my vapor trail :-)

Footslogger
01-20-2007, 11:49
Let's say I want at least the same volume (3600 cubes) and at least the same load capacity (say, 25-30 lbs.) What's a comfy, light pack that might be the "next step up" from a Granite Gear Vapor Trail? Mainly, what I think I need is a stiffer internal frame than what's in the Vapor Trail.

Would it be the GG Nimbus Ozone? GG Latitude Vapor? Osprey Atmos 65? ULA Circuit? Any other ideas?

It mustn't weigh more than 3 to 3.5 lbs or so; otherwise I'll just stick with my tried & true Camp Trails (about 4.25 lbs.)

===============================

If you already own and like the GG packs then the next heftier pack would be the Nimbus Ozone. I have the Vapor Trail also and carried it on the AT in 2003. I am looking at packs for a PCT thru and need something that can carry 35 lbs as comfortably as the Vapor Trail carried the 25 lb load. The Nimbus Ozone is where I'm headed.

'Slogger

dloome
01-20-2007, 18:36
The Nimbus Ozone has a different frame system than the Vapor. The Vapor just has a thin, pliable HDPE sheet to protect your back and the Ozone has more of an actual frame to carry greater weight. I think the next logical step up would be the Ozone. VERY similar to the Vapor, just a tad bigger.

Jack Tarlin
01-20-2007, 18:41
Terrapin:

Of the ones you've mentioned, I think the Osprey 65 is the best. A Medium weighs 3lbs 10 ounces I think, but the extra couple of ounces are worth it.
Good pack!

rafe
01-20-2007, 18:44
If you already own and like the GG packs then the next heftier pack would be the Nimbus Ozone. I have the Vapor Trail also and carried it on the AT in 2003. I am looking at packs for a PCT thru and need something that can carry 35 lbs as comfortably as the Vapor Trail carried the 25 lb load. The Nimbus Ozone is where I'm headed.

Already own, yes. Like is debatable. I like the pack, but my back might disagree. It's an attractive piece of work, and I'm still trying out different packing configurations.

chicote
01-22-2007, 12:20
As far as Granite Gear packs go. Remember that "Vapor" is a model name so Lattitude Vapor would have the same suspension as the Vapor Trail. Just loads differently. The Nimbus series have a different totally customizable suspension (which the vapors do not). I would go this route and also check out that Osprey as I've heard nothing but good things about those as well. GL.

anneandbenhike
01-22-2007, 16:47
I have done several long section hikes (200+ miles) and find the Ozone just perfect. It does have a better framesheet and several adjustments are possible. I have never carried over 35# in it but it has always been incredibly comfortable with the load. It is rated to 40#, I believe. Check it out with your load in it. Good luck finding what you need.

rafe
01-22-2007, 17:02
I've just gone and ordered the GG Nimbus Ozone. Good chance there'll be a "like new" Vapor Trail on the block soon.

Footslogger
01-22-2007, 17:17
I've just gone and ordered the GG Nimbus Ozone. Good chance there'll be a "like new" Vapor Trail on the block soon.

==============================

I'm just about to make the same move ...but I'm holdin on to my Vapor Trail. Great pack for loads of 26 lbs or less.

'Slogger

hammock engineer
01-23-2007, 00:35
I thought about selling mine too, but it makes too nice of a day pack. I am a gearskin coming soon, but the VT is easier to throw stuff in and hike the trail for a couple hours.

rafe
01-23-2007, 00:42
I thought about selling mine too, but it makes too nice of a day pack. I am a gearskin coming soon, but the VT is easier to throw stuff in and hike the trail for a couple hours.

Don't have the new pack yet. :) I really wanted to like the VT. It's a clean design. As an engineer and gram weenie I find it very appealing. My brain likes this pack; but it's my back that's complaining.

hammock engineer
01-23-2007, 00:47
If it helps the gearskin is going to weigh in at about 20 oz.

My biggest problem with the VT is bulk. I have my load down to about 21 lbs sans food/water/fuel, but my hammocking gear takes up extra room. That and the frame is not sturdy enough for my taste (my back does not like it weighted down).

The gearskin compresses your gear into one big stay. If you are considering this option. There is about a 3-4 week lag between ordering and recieving. One of the drawbacks of cottege industries. But I like the design and try to order as much as possible from the small cottege industries.

Footslogger
01-23-2007, 10:32
[quote=hammock engineer;307889]If it helps the gearskin is going to weigh in at about 20 oz.

===================================

Funny you should mention that. I am pretty committed to the Nimbus Ozone but I have an opportunity to borrow a GearSkin and I think I'm gonna give it a shot just to be thorough.

'Slogger