PDA

View Full Version : Custom Sewing?

rafe
01-20-2007, 10:27
Anyone know of a person, shop, or service that does custom sewing with nylon or silnylon fabrics? I'm thinking of having a "custom" pack made to fit on an old Camp Trails external frame. I just don't have (and never will have) the skills to do this myself.

cabana
01-20-2007, 18:29
http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/

Roland
01-20-2007, 19:01
Another option would be to contact Wild Things, or Ragged Mountain. They both have talented folks on their staff and might be willing to take on your project. If you need contact info, let me know.

Nameless
01-20-2007, 22:05
Moonbow (moonbowgear.com) is a really great company to work with that does a great job.

Pink

Froggy
01-20-2007, 22:07
Stop by your local sewing machine or fabric store. They'll know lots of local customers, and one of them might be able to do that. Might even get really interested in it, too.

A very long time ago, I made a pack to fit an external frame. My conclusion when finished was that it was about the same level of effort as building the horizontal tail to a homebuilt airplane. So if the previous ideas don't help, contact the local homebuilt airplane crowd - one of them will be able to find you some help. It'll become an ego thing to them: surely they can build that, too.

chicote
01-22-2007, 12:07
Whomever you choose make sure they have knowledge of sewing such a slippery light weight material. Stress areas on light weight materials require different type of sewing reinforcements than a standard cordura or heavy weight nylon. Backpackinglight.com did some tests and have a great article on sewing lightweight materials.