PDA

View Full Version : mineral spirits...... expiration?

Big Dawg
01-20-2007, 10:46
I'm getting ready to treat my TT DRainbow silnylon floor w/ Jim Wood's treatment suggestion... (http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/index.html), and will be mixing mineral spirits w/ GE silicone sealant. I have some mineral spirits that was bought many years ago (8+) that has been in it's original container, sealed, and stored in a shed (exposed to temp variances from 20 to 95 degrees over the years). Is this stuff still good enough to use for my project? There's no expiration date. I'm just not sure if this stuff goes bad after many years. No big deal to buy some new mineral spirits, but no need to if the stuff I've got is still effective. Any comments......

STEVEM
01-20-2007, 10:59
I've had a gallon can of mineral spirits around the house for probably 15 years it still seems to work fine for cleaning paint brushes etc. I'd use it especially if the container was never opened. I've never thinned silicone with mineral spirits, but I've used it many times to clean uncured silicone off my hands and tools.

Two Speed
01-21-2007, 06:57
I don't know of any good reason why mineral spirits would go "bad" but some of it may have evaporated and found it's way out of the can. Why not do a small trial run? From what I've heard it takes a little practice to get the mixing right anyway, and this way you can try a small sample and see if it turns out the way you want it.

Let us know how it goes.