PDA

View Full Version : Mapdannas

HaddenLo
01-20-2007, 14:16
Using them rather than carrying a map or data book. Yes/No

jrwiesz
01-20-2007, 15:26
Using them rather than carrying a map or data book. Yes/No
The thought crossed my mind. I saw them at Campmor; anybody else sell them? $13 seems a bit much for a piece of cotton cloth, not sure they are Topo enhanced. Will they wear out and be useless after the frequent use a bandana usually gets on the trail:-?

Jack Tarlin
01-20-2007, 15:40
Only if you're really stupid.

They have mileage figures on them, period. Nothing about campsites, shelters, road crossings, water sources, grocery stories, lodging places, etc.

mountain squid
01-20-2007, 19:15
HMMM:-?, actually they have all that data on them. Don't know how current it is, though, and it certainly is not as detailed as the Companion. The Companion also has many town maps which help in locating specific establishments.

So, no, I also would not carry them instead of a map. Maybe in conjuction with a map, but not by themselves. Personally, I carry the maps with the data from the Companion transcribed on to them (Hi Laces ;)!!!) including drawings of town maps.

http://www.antigravitygear.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=244

See you on the trail,
mt squid

hopefulhiker
01-21-2007, 10:35
I carried the mapdana's. I think they were worth it. They had lots of info on town info on there but could only give a very rough idea of where you are.. I mean I would take a bandana anyway.. But I would also absolutely take a data book sheets and a map.
I would spread them out on the picnic table and look at them when I ate then use them as dishcloths..

buckowens
01-21-2007, 12:23
I have one as an interesting back up at best... I have had a map sucked out the window on a helicopter and have learned the hard way to carry two of the really important information. I will also have my E-trex as well.

Frosty
01-21-2007, 12:45
The scale is too large to use as a map for mavigating, but okay for those who like visual/graphic representations of how far to nearest town, etc. The mapdanas have shelters and mileages, and a lot of phone numbers and locations for outfitters, hostels, etc etc. They won't replace maps or a data book/companion, but if you are going to wear a bandana anyway, they'd be more useful than a square of plain red cloth.

click on larger image to see what they look like:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39140335

I have all four, but then I have a scad of AT T-shirts and stuff, including the rare collector's edition of the LNT Whiteblaze T-shirt, and my wife got a pair of AT earrings for our anniversary. What can I say?

Panzer1
01-21-2007, 13:21
I would not carry a mapdana in place of a real map or guide book. But one problem I always have with my bandanas is that I thought that there were too small. The mapdana is a lot bigger and is easier to wear on your head. I would consider bringing one on my next AT hike but not to be used in place of a real map or guide book.

Panzer