PDA

View Full Version : Bread for Lunch

partinj
01-20-2007, 22:10
Hi here one do you take any kind of bread with you for lunch i was thinking about Pita or eng. Muffins. Just wonder if you can eat the muffin right out of the box or if you have to toast them
:jump

4eyedbuzzard
01-20-2007, 22:24
English muffins are great untoasted with anything. They pack well as does pita. Hard crusted breads hold up okay in a pack too - sourdough, bagettes, etc.

Alligator
01-20-2007, 22:38
Bagels or tortillas.

Gray Blazer
01-20-2007, 22:59
Half a loaf of sourdough or rye or something sliced that won't get crushed.

neo
01-20-2007, 23:42
Hi here one do you take any kind of bread with you for lunch i was thinking about Pita or eng. Muffins. Just wonder if you can eat the muffin right out of the box or if you have to toast them
flour tortilla is my favorite,i mainly carry them kayaking:cool: neo

Frosty
01-21-2007, 00:04
Bagels or tortillas.spread with Nutella. Ummmm.

Gray Blazer
01-21-2007, 00:15
Hey Frosty, Hey Neo, How ya doin'? Hazelnut spread sounds good and good for you. Do you use a little jelly with that there nutella?

hopefulhiker
01-21-2007, 09:26
Sometimes I would pick up a few bagals and cheese when at a town..

Topcat
01-21-2007, 09:29
I like tortillas, pita and other flat breads for packability but, although bulky, those crusty french bread rolls hold up nice and are great with hard cheeses.

Peaks
01-21-2007, 09:54
I carried english muffins once when that was about the only choice in the store. They did not hold up especially well. They crumbled. And, there was some moisture in them, so they got moldy quicker than other breads.

My first choice: pita bread
My second choice: bagels, but not store baked (they get too hard too quick)
My third choice: hard rolls or other hard bread that doesn't squish.

TJ aka Teej
01-21-2007, 11:46
Hamburger or Bulkie rolls for sandwiches (you can toast them too) and hotdog rolls for mini-subs.

highway
01-21-2007, 12:31
I would have to vote for Tortillas because they last such a long time and require so little care and are great folded around just about anything-

Tipi Walter
01-21-2007, 14:14
I take two frozen 14 oz loaves of Nature's Path organic Manna Bread, the way bread used to be. www.naturespath.com (http://www.naturespath.com)

I discovered these sprouted wheat loaves 20 years ago and they go with me on every backpacking trip. Two loaves last me a long time, they are chewy and go good with hot tea in the morning.

Lately I've been finding them in the frozen section of certain high end grocery stores(Earth Fare in NC and TN), etc.

Tipi Walter
01-21-2007, 14:31
Aw heck, can't get my link to work, maybe somebody else can get through.

Outlaw
01-22-2007, 16:22
Aw heck, can't get my link to work, maybe somebody else can get through.

TW, Your link worked for me. I found a couple of stores nearby me that sell the Manna bread... I'll give it a try for sure.

Usually I just pack WW pitas and/or bagels.

Footslogger
01-22-2007, 16:32

================================

Tried Pita Pouches for a while, thinking I'd cram some tuna or pnut butter in them. Had problems keeping the Pita Pouches in one piece long enough to enjoy them. English muffins or occasionally bagels (the mini ones) ended up being my favorite. One thing I REALLY liked the taste of were those little "bagel bites". Seasoned mini hard bread slices ...YUM !!

'Slogger

Pennsylvania Rose
01-22-2007, 18:12
Mini bagels work great for us, esp plain with peanut butter and honey or onion with sharp cheddar. Sometimes we toast cinnamon raisin or blueberry for breakfast. My daughter loves having tuna wraps in tortillas. We use them to make cheese, tuna, or chicken quesadillas with dinner too.