PDA

View Full Version : Need help with finding New Bear Proof Food Bag

2009ThruHiker
01-20-2007, 23:11
I saw somewhere (maybe on whiteblaze but I can't find it through the search feature) a new bear proof food bag that works as well as the heavier cannisters. Anyone know where I can find one???

4eyedbuzzard
01-20-2007, 23:34
http://www.ursack.com/

virtualfrog
01-21-2007, 01:09
Note the restrictions in Federal areas where Bear canisters are required - you must use the metal insert in the Ursack there.

Outlaw
01-22-2007, 09:22
http://www.ursack.com/

Just be aware that the NYSDEC now mandates the use of bear resistant cannisters in the High Peaks region of the Adirondacks. They specifically do not recognize a Ursack (with or without a metal insert) as an approved bear resistant container. This may be true for other areas/jurisdictions around the country. I had a Ursack and sold it-- it did not impress me especially for the added weight.

Footslogger
01-22-2007, 10:14
I went through the cannister/ursack decision process in beginning to accumulate my gear for the PCT. Ended up going with a BearVault Cannister for the Sierras. Plan to use either my current silnylon stuff sacks (like did on the AT), or maybe invest in the Ursack for other areas on the PCT.

'Slogger

Jim Adams
01-22-2007, 10:39
Check REI for bear proof containers. They have several kinds.
geek

jlb2012
01-22-2007, 10:52
when checking bear canisters check to see which one is most comfortable for sitting on - its an important secondary use of the canister

MOWGLI
01-22-2007, 12:44
I used the heavier Backpackers Cache (http://www.backpackerscache.com/) on the JMT last year. I met a fellow whose Ursack was shredded by a Yosemite bear. I had no worries with my cannister. The only issue was keeping it away from cliffs or running water. Some of the bears along the JMT have taken to knocking the cannisters in rivers or over steep cliffs. :eek:

Cannisters, IMO, are overkill on the AT.

jlb2012
01-22-2007, 12:53
true - canisters are a bit of a luxury item on the AT but I like having a stool to sit on and that was the feature that convinced me to carry one - also nice not to have any worries about the minibears getting into my food

Footslogger
01-22-2007, 12:55
Cannisters, IMO, are overkill on the AT.

=================================

I agree ...and they sure change your packing strategy/system.

'Slogger

jlb2012
01-22-2007, 13:05
[QUOTE=Footslogger;307442I agree ...and they sure change your packing strategy/system.[/QUOTE]

it didn't change mine much - I hang it on the back of the Gearskin from the upper side straps with the next lower straps also used to keep it from swinging back and forth. The canister is in a sleave with a cinch and cord lock on each end. The only thing special that I had to do was to get Cedar Tree to make me a custom Packa with a hump in the back to cover the canister.

Footslogger
01-22-2007, 13:08
The only thing special that I had to do was to get Cedar Tree to make me a custom Packa with a hump in the back to cover the canister.

=================================

Oh man ...I already have a custom Packa ! Back to the drawing board !!

'Slogger

LostInSpace
04-25-2007, 10:42
Just be aware that the NYSDEC now mandates the use of bear resistant cannisters in the High Peaks region of the Adirondacks. They specifically do not recognize a Ursack (with or without a metal insert) as an approved bear resistant container. This may be true for other areas/jurisdictions around the country. I had a Ursack and sold it-- it did not impress me especially for the added weight.

The Sierra Interagency Black Bear Group withdrew conditional approval of the Ursack Hybrid with metal insert for 2007. Only cannisters are approved in SIBBG areas. See here (http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/approvedcontainers.htm).

Outlaw
04-25-2007, 15:38
LIS, thanks for the update on the Ursack and the validation. As I said, mine didn't impress me.

I had a conversation with the owner of the Ursack company to advise him that the NYSDEC would not recognize his design/materials in the High Peaks Region of the Adirondacks. Of course, he attempted to defend his design/materials:rolleyes: , but I read enough reports on why they are not recognized by NYS; basically, a bear may not get the food out of the Ursack, but their teeth will still puncture the Ursack material and the plastic food bags contained within, then contaminate the food with their saliva, leave a terrible mess, and to top it off, in frustration and/or anger, too many backpackers just leave the Ursack mess in the woods rather than pack it out.:eek: :(

EMAN
04-27-2007, 10:17
When I bought my Ursack, their advertising stated there were limitations to the thing. The original manufacture was a material the military currently has an exclusive right to or that the manufacturer has limited to military use...something like that I reckon. It was advertised as "critter resistant" even with the metal insert. But, at 5 oz., it is great for overnighting, couple of days, low critter possibilities.
For heavier duty I bought a BeariKade. May be deemed a bit pricey but I tried one if the BearVaults from REI and I hated it. That tab you use to open and close the thing was a POS. The BeariKade is supposed to be a bit lighter (if you believe the stats) and it makes a reasonably sturdy surface on which to place an average butt. Mine, being somewhat...overaverage...usually just sits on the ground.
I took it to Glacier last year and managed to pack 6 days worth of stuff in it.

OldStormcrow
04-27-2007, 13:32
The only canister that I have ever carried was a 6"x6"x12" one for use in the Smokies shelters, 'way back when they used to still have the bear fences on them. The mice were about the only concern once you chained the gate shut and it was fun to listen to their plaintive little scratchings on the outside of the can all night long, but now those fences are gone and you have to watch out for larger critters. The ONLY bag that is completely bear-proof is what I use.....an old sleeping bag stuff-sack and a 100' roll of parachute cord to hang it 'way up in a tree!

superman
04-27-2007, 15:03
I bought the Kevlar bear can. I think its bullet proof. At least it makes a nice stool. I used it on the PCT.