PDA

View Full Version : Crocs & other camp shoe options

2009ThruHiker
01-21-2007, 00:29
Looking for some thoughts on alternative options to Crocs for camp shoes as I am looking to purchase some this week.

rafe
01-21-2007, 00:49
Ender told me about these (http://www.sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=901&variation=&aitem=4&mitem=10). They're about 1.5 oz for the pair and cost $4.39 a pair. What have you got to lose?

hammock engineer
01-21-2007, 01:51
Ender told me about these (http://www.sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=901&variation=&aitem=4&mitem=10). They're about 1.5 oz for the pair and cost $4.39 a pair. What have you got to lose?

I ordered a pair a week or so ago. Just to warn you shipping takes a while. Shipping is also $5 I think. I ordered 2 just so that the shipping would not be more than what I ordered.

Singe03
01-21-2007, 02:22
I just carried a pair of lightweight Tevas, the flip flop type and was perfectly happy with them, clipped them to the outside of my pack with a beaner through the straps while hiking. Waldies were all the rage in 2003, all the fashionable hikers had a pair but I'm chronically unfashionable. I think crocs are basically the same thing.

Basically anything lightweight that will protect the bottoms of your feet on the way to the privy will do nicely.

hammock engineer
01-21-2007, 02:33
I'm with you there. For me they are basically something to wear at camp so that my feet can air out and dry off. I don't really intend to do much walking in them.

Kaptain Kangaroo
01-21-2007, 05:38
Crocs might be heavier & more expensive, but I found them very versatile. I was suprised how much walking I had to do around town during re-supply stops & the crocs were comfortable enough to do some miles in. They were also great around camp when the weather was really wet & the ground was sloppy mud and for fording streams in Maine. They were also good for those shelters where the water source was a distance away or down steep trails. (was it Helvey Mills shelter in VA where the trail to the spring has 6 switchbacks ????)
There are cheaper & lighter camp shoe options, but if (when :-) I do it again I would stick with my crocs.

Cheers,

Kaptain Kangaroo

Marta
01-21-2007, 08:57
What Kaptain Kangaroo said.

I actually wore the tread off my Crocs (bought in Greenville, Maine--I did not start out with them), I did so much walking around town in them.

Also, I didn't have to do this, but people who had serious blisters from their hiking boots or shoes were able to hike in Crocs for a few days while their feet healed.

The fellow I was hiking with lightened his pack in Damascus by sending a bunch of stuff home, including his Crocs. The Crocs were the only thing he complained about missing. His exact words were, "I can't believe I thought I didn't need my Crocs."

hopefulhiker
01-21-2007, 09:13
I used a set of four dollar flip flops from Walmart for my hike in '05

rafe
01-21-2007, 09:35
His exact words were, "I can't believe I thought I didn't need my Crocs."

So we've come a ways from mere camp shoes.. to the notion of spare/alternative footwear for a more general purpose. I still think of camp shoes as somewhat of a luxury... hard to justify or rationalize in any kind of lightweight or ultralight gear list.

ImkerVS
01-21-2007, 09:42
http://www.allheart.com/comfortclogs1.html

I like these. Very sturdy. I have the ventilated ones.

bigcranky
01-21-2007, 09:53
TT--

Your feet are your only true friends on the trail. Anything that helps your feet recover at the end of a long day isn't a luxury, at least for me. I find my Waldies very easy to justify on my lightweight hiking list. Even though I wear very light mesh trail runners, being able to air out my feet is a wonderful feeling.

Blue Sky II
01-21-2007, 09:53
I started my 2003 flip-flop with those 1.5 oz mesh shoes. Switched to the Waldies that Singe mentioned and I was real happy. For me, the extra comfort was well worth carrying the extra weight. If you start with a really light pair of camp shoes, you may want to keep a more comfortable pair in your bounce box.

jigsaw
01-21-2007, 09:59
check out airwalks from payless shoes just like waldies but cheaper.the ones i have have a solid back no strap so they stay on better $19.99

rafe
01-21-2007, 10:07
TT--

Your feet are your only true friends on the trail. Anything that helps your feet recover at the end of a long day isn't a luxury, at least for me. I find my Waldies very easy to justify on my lightweight hiking list. Even though I wear very light mesh trail runners, being able to air out my feet is a wonderful feeling.

There's no right or wrong here.... I could easily argue the case for or against camp shoes... :) Traditionally I've carried them tho I did Springer to Gatlinburg & many years besides without 'em. I'm toying with a "lightweight" regimen these days so my personal budget for camp shoes is down. When I carry camp shoes they're usually just a pair of beach flip-flops or something on that order. Something light and airy, for walking a few dozen yards through the woods.

buckowens
01-21-2007, 12:25
Anybody here ever use the Tecnica Pac Mocs? They are a bit expensive, but may be an option.

2009ThruHiker
01-21-2007, 13:20

anyone else had an expierence with these? they look like a great deal, and look a lot like crocs.

Chaco Taco
01-21-2007, 13:25
So we've come a ways from mere camp shoes.. to the notion of spare/alternative footwear for a more general purpose. I still think of camp shoes as somewhat of a luxury... hard to justify or rationalize in any kind of lightweight or ultralight gear list.

I used to use my chachos, I know really heavy. After awhile I just saw them as a waste of space. I went with crocs and just got to the point that by the time I stop and make camp and set up and eat and get ready to settle in for bed I am still in my hiking boots or trailrunners. I have just learned that while it is nice to have a set of shoes for walking around camp, I also see them as a luxury and would rather carry extra food and sacrifice having camp shoes. Especially in cold weather, Im staying my boots as long as I can. Just my thoughts.

khaynie
01-21-2007, 14:02
Here is another option reebok sandals (http://store.reebok.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2051295&cp=&sr=1&origkw=Reebok+Men%27s+Kobo+III+Sandal&kw=reebok+mens+kobo+iii+sandal&parentPage=search)

superman
01-21-2007, 14:36
Before I bought tevas on the AT, one night I walked away from my tent to pee and stepped on barbwire in the dark. I bought teva sandals to avoid that situation from repeating. When the weather got hot I would put them on the last hour or two of the hiking day. It cooled my feet and made it easier to bare the heat. Then I started using them for a longer and longer time. They worked well and I used them to ford a couple rivers. By the end of my hike they were trash. When I hiked the desert part of the CDT I carried crocs. My feet had some trouble breaking my boots in so I switched off to the crocs for shorter and shorter parts of days until my boots were broken in. I used a pair of those stream shoes on another hike but I didn't like using them as town shoes. I like to allow my boots to dry out while I'm in town but the stream shoes don't work for me.
Pat and I are going to hike in the spring so we have started re-thinking our gear (again). The Reebok sandals look interesting.

Tipi Walter
01-21-2007, 14:39

I used to be right with you on this . . . until I had to find something to get me across numerous creek crossings in all seasons. Voila, the Crocs! I was tired of wet boots and I liked the way the Crocs hugged river rocks and so they're part of my standard load now. BTW, during a reststop in the snow(or whenever), they make great butt pads for sitting.

Vi+
01-21-2007, 15:44
Khaynie,

Have you seen or tried the Reebok Kobo Slides (Post #18)?

Do you know their weight?

squeeze
01-21-2007, 15:52
I picked up the Airwalk sandal at payless. Got mine for about $7. I haven't used it on the trail yet, but I think they will work well. They are pretty light. If I ever locate my scale, I'll tell you how light.
http://www.payless.com/Catalog/ProductDetail.aspx?&TLC=Mens&SLC=MensSandals&BLC=MensSandalsBeach&Width=Regular&ItemCode=54069&LotNumber=045233&Type=Adult&Popularity=48&DescriptiveColor=Black

sourwood
01-21-2007, 16:05
I use lightweight Teva flip flops. Crocs hurt my wide feet. These did not. They are very light, but have enough support in the arch that they were very comfortable walking around camp and towns. Beware around the campfire though. They melt very easily!

Julie

mbroadhe
01-21-2007, 17:01
anyone else had an expierence with these? they look like a great deal, and look a lot like crocs.
Yep, I have a pair as does my wife. They're comfortable, although if you have wide feet you may want to check something else out. While in Wallie World (Walmart) the other day, they had something similar to these and crocs. You may want to check there to forego the shipping charges. I never checked the price, so I don't know what the cost was.

Nameless
01-21-2007, 18:05
I would like to throw in another vote for the payless shoes. They have the same stability and comfort of crocs for a significantly lighter package. I love mine.

Pink

khaynie
01-21-2007, 18:55
Khaynie,

Have you seen or tried the Reebok Kobo Slides (Post #18)?

Do you know their weight?

I haven't tried them, however, my buddy has a pair. While I don't know their exact weight, they felt as light if not lighter than a pair of crocs. I'll ask him to weigh them and I'll get back to you.

rafe
01-21-2007, 19:53
Here is another option reebok sandals (http://store.reebok.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2051295&cp=&sr=1&origkw=Reebok+Men%27s+Kobo+III+Sandal&kw=reebok+mens+kobo+iii+sandal&parentPage=search)

Without knowing the weight.... ??

ImkerVS
01-21-2007, 20:31
Got a question about the AllHeart Comfort Clogs, how much do they weigh, and the sizing. I don't have a scale here. They weigh about as much as 3 CDs in their plastic cases, that's both at the same time. You could ventilate them more to lessen the weight a bit. Mine are strapless. The sizing is funky. I wear the XLG size, and my shoe size is only 9-1/2, or European 43. XLG on me is a bit loose, but better than LG, a pair of which I bought and gave to my wife. I would guess sizes men's 9-1/2 through 11 would fit the XLG. These are the "Unisex" clogs and my guess is the sizing is either Oriental influence or favoring women, since they are marketed to nurses. But whatever. They are very comfortable.

khaynie
01-22-2007, 06:57

I'm going to try and find their exact weight stat. My non hiking friend is going to think I'm nuts (wait a minute ~ he already does) when I ask him to weigh his reebok's on his kitchen scale. Perhaps I'll tell him to check out WB...then he'll understand, right?

FishBone
01-22-2007, 10:45
Another option is the flip-flops offered by the ATC. $17, 5oz. heavy outer tread, softer footbed, with some arch support. Funds going to a good cause, to boot.:clap

Webs
01-22-2007, 11:30
i'm switching to crocs after having flip flops last time. it was annoying during cold nights to have to remove your socks to be able to wear them. also, it's nice to have protection over your whole foot from thorns, mud, etc on those 90 degree water-supply hills off the trail :p

khaynie
01-27-2007, 17:05

These sleek and stylish reebok sandals (http://store.reebok.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2057870&cp=&sr=1&origkw=kobo+sandals&kw=kobo+sandal&parentPage=search) weigh in @ 9.25 oz. That weight is for a pair of size 10's. Lighter than Crocs - or at least Samoa's - and certainly less expensive. Sorry it took so long to get the weight...

2009ThruHiker
01-27-2007, 18:09

I just received the All-Heart Clogs mentioned above. The only color they had left was red, but it's a small price to pay (no pun intended) for cheap, lightweight comfort. I'm wearing them around the house right now, and they are very lightweight, with great traction. The little "nubs" that touch your feet throughout the shoe are a bit irritating to me at the moment, but I'd imagine as you wear them in and get used to it, they will become an exhilarating feeling after 10 miles on the trail. I plan on testing these out pretty exstenively on a week long backpacking trip in Late February. I'll report back then as to my final opinion on them.
Thanks to ImkerVS for pointing them out!

Bandannaman
01-29-2007, 20:28
In case anyone is interested the lightest waldie/croc-like clog I have been able to find is by Quark called the Liberty Sandal. They weigh in at a little less than 8 oz per pair and you can currently buy them online for under $15 here: http://islandsurf.com/Liberty_Quark_Sandals-p5720c5.html. That makes them about 4 oz lighter and half the price of my Crocs... I'll be carrying these on my next hike!

snarbles
07-18-2007, 14:36
Anybody have more info on the Waldies? Are they actually lighter and better than crocs. I wear a size 11 men and weighed my crocs in at 13oz. That's just to heavy for a camp shoe.

I'm definitely looking for lighter options. I still can't get over how crocs look, but if they are light enough I'll get over it.

Footslogger
07-18-2007, 14:39
Found these about a year or so ago at Payless and have had them on several trips now. Have even done some water crossings with them. Made out of the same material as Waldies/Crocs.

http://www.payless.com/Catalog/productdetail.aspx?ItemCode=54069&ProductColor=Black&Width=Regular&TLC=Mens&SLC=MensSandals&BLC=MensSandalsCasuals

Light weight and secure on the foot. They are my choice now for a camp/town shoe. Went ahead and bought 2 pair cuz whenever I like something they seem to discontinue it !!

'Slogger

snarbles
07-18-2007, 14:43
Also those Airwalk Connect Sandals look alot like lightweight Keens. Does anyone have the weigh specs on these for size 11 mens?

Footslogger
07-18-2007, 14:51
Also those Airwalk Connect Sandals look alot like lightweight Keens. Does anyone have the weigh specs on these for size 11 mens?
=========================

Pretty sure mine are men's 10 (but they might be 11's). I'll try and remember to throw them on the scale tonight and give you an exact weight. I did search back on "Airwalk" and there is a comment regarding them being a "few ounces less" than Crocs.

'Slogger

snarbles
07-18-2007, 15:54
=========================

Pretty sure mine are men's 10 (but they might be 11's). I'll try and remember to throw them on the scale tonight and give you an exact weight. I did search back on "Airwalk" and there is a comment regarding them being a "few ounces less" than Crocs.

'Slogger

That would be great as I might get these this week. :)

gold bond
07-18-2007, 16:34
Alot and I do mean alot of people were using the Keens at Philmont this year.

I personnally want something closed toe and have some protection to it. I do wear the croc's and I really like them but I am going to check out the Payless sandle...looks intresting.

Dr O
07-18-2007, 18:42
In case anyone is interested the lightest waldie/croc-like clog I have been able to find is by Quark called the Liberty Sandal. They weigh in at a little less than 8 oz per pair and you can currently buy them online for under $15 here: http://islandsurf.com/Liberty_Quark_Sandals-p5720c5.html. That makes them about 4 oz lighter and half the price of my Crocs... I'll be carrying these on my next hike!

Good news is they're less than $5 now, bad news is that they only come in mens size 4 or womens 6. :mad:

They still have them on Quarky's website though, about $38
http://www.shoeline.com/asp/dcpItem.asp?style=Q576379

Also saw these, on their website, at 4.2 oz per pair, the "Quarky."
http://www.shoeline.com/asp/dcpitem.asp?style=Q570297

snarbles
07-18-2007, 23:28
Just picked up a pair of the Airwalk Connect and overall I didn't like them. It's okay though because I found them for only $9 at Payless so it was worth the experience. The more rubbery foam in this shoe was causing me all sorts of blisters near the heal and near where the straps are on the inside of the foot.

In a size 11 mens they weigh in at 13.4oz which is actually heavier than the croc caymens I tried (size 11 too) and they were only 13.1. These were way more comfier and did not cause blisters. I think I'm starting to lean more towards the crocs again, but I am still trying to get over the look.

I'd like to here from other people there experience with Airwalks too as maybe I should have tried a size up.....but I still don't like the rubber/foam of these.

snarbles
07-18-2007, 23:50
Anybody have more info on the Waldies? Are they actually lighter and better than crocs. I wear a size 11 men and weighed my crocs in at 13oz. That's just to heavy for a camp shoe.

I'm definitely looking for lighter options. I still can't get over how crocs look, but if they are light enough I'll get over it.

Still interested in Crocs vs Waldies. Are Waldies lighter?

Footslogger
07-19-2007, 09:18
I'd like to here from other people there experience with Airwalks too as maybe I should have tried a size up.....but I still don't like the rubber/foam of these.

=========================================

For starters ... don't wear them long enough to get blisters. For me they are only used for water crossings and around camp

As far as the rubber foam ?? ...it's the same as Waldies and Crocks so I'm not clear on your comment.

Sizewise, I wear a 10.5 shoe and I have the size 11 Airwalks.

Like I said in my earlier post, what sets the Airwalks apart in my opinion is the fact that they are secure on the foot ...which is important to me for water crossings.

I carried Waldies on my 2003 thru (and still have them). They were the only show in town back then. They were pretty loose and sloppy on my feet but served as a welcome relief for my feet after 12 - 15 miles of hiking.

'Slogger

Panzer1
07-19-2007, 11:21
Have you seen the stock price for Crocs "CROX".

In the last year it has gone from $12 a share to $49.70 a share.

I'm not advising anyone to buy now, its too late, its has already gone up to much to buy now.

Panzer

Jim Adams
07-19-2007, 12:21

For starters ... don't wear them long enough to get blisters. For me they are only used for water crossings and around camp

As far as the rubber foam ?? ...it's the same as Waldies and Crocks so I'm not clear on your comment.

Like I said in my earlier post, what sets the Airwalks apart in my opinion is the fact that they are secure on the foot ...which is important to me for water crossings.

I carried Waldies on my 2003 thru (and still have them). They were the only show in town back then. They were pretty loose and sloppy on my feet but served as a welcome relief for my feet after 12 - 15 miles of hiking.

'Slogger
The foam / rubber definitely has different density values in different brands and the weights are reflective of this. I have several pairs form crocs, waldies, payless and dollar general. The lighter the foam, the quicker the tread wears off but that is the only draw back that I've found. I use them for everything! Wal-mart has two kinds of croc / waldies knock-offs...1 is foamy and light the other is rubbery and heavy. You can find light AND cheap out there but check for weights before you buy. DOLLAR GENERAL has light croc knock-offs in all sizes and several colors for $6.
geek

snarbles
07-19-2007, 12:22

'Slogger

Perhaps a size 12 would have been better for me. Might try the crocs/waldies next though they are heavy

Footslogger
07-19-2007, 12:25
Perhaps a size 12 would have been better for me. Might try the crocs/waldies next though they are heavy

=======================================

Yeah ...my Waldies (Circa 2003) are definitely heavier and bulkier. Comfortable as all get out, but not very stable on my feet. Make the best year-round pair of house slippers I've ever owned !!

'Slogger

Panzer1
07-26-2007, 23:38
On a day when the DOW was down 311 points (-2.26%) Crocs still managed to go up $1.34 (+2.72%).

Now that's what I call a stock. I may have to take back what I said about not buying them now. I'm impressed with their performance. There may be plenty of upside left. They had $451.9 million in sales in the last 12 months.

Panzer

Lyle
07-27-2007, 08:59
Haven't seen them mentioned in this thread yet, but they have been brought up in others.

Dollar General Crock lookalikes. $6 or $7, lighter than Crocks. I've had a pair for about 6 months now, wear them everyday around the house and yard. More comfortable than my Crocks, holding up well.

HikeLite
07-31-2007, 00:01
family dollar has waldies knock offs....lets remember that waldies were around before crocs : )

aaroniguana
07-31-2007, 07:21
The Dollar General knockoffs were in another thread. I've had a pair since President's Day Weekend, worn them daily around the house and around town, taking them to Pennsic this weekend as camp shoes. After almost 6 months they are barely showing any tread wear.

The downside is I haven't seen them at Dollar General since :(

Panzer1
11-01-2007, 23:56
crocs the stock just lost one third of their value today. They opened at $74.75 and closed at $47.74. That's a 36% drop in one day. If you have any Crocs stock, SELL SELL SELL because they are not comming back, ever again.

Panzer

Cookerhiker
11-02-2007, 09:49
I began using campshoes on my '05 hike from Gorham to Katahdin. I used Keen Sandals which were particularly good for the fords; didn't have to worry about banging my toes on the rocks. I brought them on subsequent trips including last summer's JMT hike and the first half of my Long Trail hike this year.

Then I decided to drop more weight and bought some Crok-like sandals at the outfitter in Rutland, VT. They were about half the price of Crocs but otherwise look just like them. The brand name on them is Marlin. I spent 15 minutes unsuccessfully trying to find them on the web.

Anyway, I like these Marlins.

Yahtzee
11-02-2007, 11:00
crocs the stock just lost one third of their value today. They opened at $74.75 and closed at $47.74. That's a 36% drop in one day. If you have any Crocs stock, SELL SELL SELL because they are not comming back, ever again.

Panzer

Was walking down Columbus Ave. on the Upper West Side a couple of days ago I saw a Crocs store being prepared for a grand opening. Said to Flying Bear, "Wha?, how the hell do Crocs get there own store? This is a bad sign." Sure enough, the stock goes kerplooey. Fail to see how, with all the worthwhile knockoffs, this co. will go forward. Crocs may be collectors items in a few years. Worse yet, museum representations of our culture 1000 years in the future.

EWS
11-02-2007, 11:11
There are two Crocs Kiosks and two "Crocs Stores" in the Victoria and Alfred Warf mall in Cape Town; the mall is no bigger than a super Wal-Mart and they were selling the things for $50+ a pair.

soulrebel
11-02-2007, 11:23
You can have my crocs size 11

prefer barefoot at camp and sometimes while hiking as well, and on rare occassions barefoot running on the pavement.

budforester
11-02-2007, 12:20
I've tried crocks, flipflops, sneakers, but don't like the weight and bulk trade- offs for the convenience. In a previous life, I used lightweight leather moccasins and liked them except when they got wet (and stayed wet). I have been watching for a modern upgrade of moccasins: fabric, maybe, with a flexible synthetic sole, lightweight, and compact. Seen anything like that? If I could sew, maybe....

Grinder
11-02-2007, 12:43
a regular on this forum or the hammock forum, presented just what you are talking about. This was about a year ago.

They were slippers with some kind of synthetic cloth or plastic sheet on the bottom and mesh on the top. weighed next to nothing. Main criticism was that there was no protection from stones or thorns etc.

You might try searching "Crocs" here and there to find it.

Tom

Panzer1
11-02-2007, 13:10
I've tried crocks, flipflops, sneakers, but don't like the weight and bulk trade- offs for the convenience. In a previous life, I used lightweight leather moccasins and liked them except when they got wet (and stayed wet). I have been watching for a modern upgrade of moccasins: fabric, maybe, with a flexible synthetic sole, lightweight, and compact. Seen anything like that? If I could sew, maybe....

How about "Kung Fu shoes"
Description : Our Kung Fu shoes have a black canvas upper, white cotton lining and a built-in inner sole for comfort and wear.
http://www.martialartssupermarket.com/index.cfm?action=moreinfo&itemid=1545

They are optimized for use on hard wood training floors such as in a shelter.
you can't beat the price $4.49 (however shipping is $8)
They will take up very little space in your pack.

Panzer

budforester
11-02-2007, 14:15
Those look pretty good. Thanks Panzer!

Panzer1
11-02-2007, 18:57
yea, plus with Kung Fu shoes, if your in the shelter and someone gives you a hard time, you could just kick the crap out of him!!!!:)
You can't do that with those stupid Crocs..

Panzer
- just kidding

Elger
11-02-2007, 20:08
I can handle cold and I can handle wet, but I am not at all fond of cold and wet. So suppose your hiking shoes are wet from the day's exertions and you have changed into a dry pair of socks in camp (bliss) and have to leave the tent in the (cold, wet) rain, (a call of nature or a tent issue, whatever). What about a light weight camp shoe that is close toe so you don't soak your dry pair of socks in your open crocs or sandals?

budforester
11-02-2007, 22:06
I can handle cold and I can handle wet, but I am not at all fond of cold and wet. So suppose your hiking shoes are wet from the day's exertions and you have changed into a dry pair of socks in camp (bliss) and have to leave the tent in the (cold, wet) rain, (a call of nature or a tent issue, whatever). What about a light weight camp shoe that is close toe so you don't soak your dry pair of socks in your open crocs or sandals?
Sounds familiar. For just a few steps out and back, I strip off the precious last pair of dry socks and stick bare feet into those cold, wet boots. Please let us know if you find an alternative.

DawgU
11-03-2007, 11:31
Does anybody now how much lighter the Airwalks are than Crocs?

rickb
11-03-2007, 12:05
If you get Crocs, you might put a couple spare plastice rivets in you repair kit or bounce box.

No charge.

https://shop.crocs.com/RivetOrder.aspx

Omarwannahike
11-06-2007, 11:09
What do you think of flip-flops or sandals, I have a pair of Nike ACG sandals that did very well in Florida summer heat in 2005, I am thinking they would be good in cold stream crossings as well.

Summit
11-06-2007, 14:53
Crocs are a croc! :D I don't like plastic on my feet, no way.

Water shoes are great for camp and river crossings.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/jump.jsp?itemID=7828&itemType=PRODUCT&searchid=inceptor

Also, any lightweight slipper with a rubber bottom works nicely, such as

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=35381&sc1=Search&feat=sr

Walmart carriers a cheaper version for about $10, but quality is likely to be less as well.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6396333

All of these will not slow you down dashing from tent/shelter to the privy first thing in the morning! :D

The slippers offer more warmth in colder weather, but retain water (weight) and don't dry as quickly when wet as the water shoes. Always trade-offs to consider! ;)

Jarhead16
11-06-2007, 15:14
How can you not have camp/stream shoes?

Lone Wolf
11-06-2007, 15:16
How can you not have camp/stream shoes?

i don't

Sly
11-06-2007, 15:18
i don't

I usually don't either, but if I do, I carry lightweight flip flops

Summit
11-06-2007, 16:45
Here's a nice price on high quality water shoes:

http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/OM/style/752312?cm_mmc=cse_nextag-_-datafeed-_-product-_-na&mr:referralID=be19eb0c-ae4a-4984-bb44-b1438c479b35

:) ;)

Montana AT05
11-07-2007, 14:16
I used Crocs off an on on my AT thru hike. They felt great in camp (loved the little knobs under my bare feet). But eventually I switched back to my TEVAs. I doubt I will carry camp shoes anymore (Crocs, Waldies, whatever).

Reasons? TEVAs (or similar sturdy sandal brand) are, well...sturdier...safer in river crossings, can be used to to hike in (I could never hike in my crocs, they were just too loose and flimsy), and they easily attach to a pack.

They are more expensive and weight more, but they are, in effect, a second hiking shoe option on any hike while serving as decent camp shoes too.

Summit
11-07-2007, 16:06
I didn't carry camp shoes this last hike of mine and the couple of days of hard rain, the only pain/inconvenience was not having dry shoes to wear in camp. Had to remove dry socks and slip into wet shoes when mother nature called. :eek: I will be carrying my water shoes next trip! ;)