PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Atmos-65 impressions...

rafe
01-21-2007, 00:44
The good: I think this could be one incredibly comfortable pack. I love the idea of mesh against my back -- it would be just like the old days, with my Camp Trails external frame. :)

The M size is rated at 4000 cubic inches, weighs 3 lb. 10 oz and is rated to carry about 40 lbs or so. That makes it 26 oz heavier than the Vapor Trail and about 10 oz. lighter than my Camp Trails.

Bad news (IMO) is that it's overdesigned in several ways, particularly with a main compartment that's "double-skinned" and loaded with zippers, pockets and compartments. The shoulder pads and hip belt aren't up to the quality of the Vapor Trail's. It doesn't have the nice tent+pad carrying straps like the Vapor Trail.

Anyway, the Osprey felt really good, walking around the store with a 16 lb load. I'm very intrigued by this pack -- it's one of the most innovative and creative new frame designs I've seen in years and years.

The perfect pack would have the Osprey's frame and load-capacity with Granite Gear's fabrics and simple, no-nonsense design. 35 lbs load capacity in a 3 lb. pack with a solid frame. I'd buy it tomorrow.

khaynie
01-21-2007, 14:24
I agree with you about the "over-designed" aspect. Lots of zippers and compartments that aren't neccessary, imo.

However, I am also really intrigued by this pack. Having thru hiked with an Osprey Aether 60, I'm partial to Osprey's. My pack gave me no problems and help up famously. It sits as a shrine in my home.

What I would like to know about the new Atmos 65 is how it holds up over a thru hike. It will be interesting to see how they perform in 07.

Does anyone have any experience with extended trips w/ loads at 35 lbs under the new atmos 65? My concern would be the mesh backing and the meager shoulder straps.

rafe
01-21-2007, 15:01
One concern I have about the Osprey is carrying tent and pad outside the bag. The GG packs are set up nicely for this, while the Osprey is not. I don't doubt that the Osprey is rugged enough for a thru-hike, at least as far as the fabric goes. The frame isn't as rugged as a Camp Trails, for sure. I suppose there's some concern for bending or mangling the Osprey frame.