PDA

View Full Version : Radio?

Chaco Taco
01-21-2007, 14:39
Going to GSMNP in early March, this is my longest tripa nd am worried about the weather. Should I take a small weather radio so I can ditch if I need to?

Tipi Walter
01-21-2007, 14:51
Why not? It's light and can provide some companionship during a long solo trip(with FM/AM). Of course, what you hear from the weather pinhead pundits will most likely have nothing to do with the conditions you see in the Smokies. When it's rainy and foggy in Knoxville, it's a full out blizzard and wind storm on the high ground.

When I go out in the winter I carry a small radio and listen to the weather mainly to hear about some ungodly system headed my way(i.e. '93 Blizzard), and then make appropriate plans. I tell my friends that if the weather turns snowy and strange don't get uptight, I'll be late and maybe even a whole week late if I have to hitch out or basecamp in deep powder.

hopefulhiker
01-21-2007, 17:52
I would consider it. Sony makes a nice one with headphones...

K0OPG
01-21-2007, 19:04
wallworld has a very small radio that straps to your arm that also has the weather stations. around 30-35 bucks. I plan on having one.

Sly
01-21-2007, 19:14
Generally I think weather radio is over rated. For the most part, you're going to know the weather beforehand, whether you're out for a week or 2 days. If it gets severe your best best is to hunker down.

freefall
01-21-2007, 19:25
I carried a Sony AM/FM/Wx radio from Springer to DWG. I generally only listened to the Wx band to get greneralities about the weather.

In the smokies, you pick up reports for N. GA, for Hot Springs area, sometimes Knoxville and Asheville. None of which do much good in GSMNP. But the radio kept my mind occupied while trudging through the deep snow drifts and ice.

So, yeah, I'd take a radio but not put much stock in the forecasts you pick up on it.

Vince
01-21-2007, 20:10
I carry a Cobra MicroTalk GMRS/FRS radio. It's tiny, has a 17 mile range peak-to-peak (which makes for a suitable Plan B should cell service be unavailable in an emergency), 10 NOAA weather channels and a default battery-save mode. It's been a home run for me.

Here's the official info, if you're interested:

Link (http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page=shop/flypage&product_id=462&id=1&ps_session=76a886aa4b4735c42cbd8bafa76e268b45b4006 d)

McPick
01-24-2007, 13:43
Going to GSMNP in early March, this is my longest tripa nd am worried about the weather. Should I take a small weather radio so I can ditch if I need to?

Lowspark... I carried a small radio on my hike from day one. Started with an AM/FM/Weather unit. It was a last minute gift and I LOVED having it along. However, several weeks into my hike, I straddled a narrow part of a stream and bent over a small waterfall to splash some cool water in my face. That radio must have also thought the water look inviting because it slipped off my pack’s chest strap and dove directly into the stream. (Judges only gave it a 4.2 for form.) Anyway, I finally grabbed it out of the water, several yards downstream. No amount of ‘mouth-to-mouth could revive it.

At my next resupply stop I purchased a Sony TV/FM/AM/Walkman. I was delighted to see it used one AAA battery, same size as my headlamp, instead of two AA batteries that the drowned radio used. I also figured out how to easily tie it to my pack strap so it wouldn’t slip off.

I listened to it quite often. The only difficulty I encountered was locating radio stations from more remote locations along the trail. I used headphones and listened to mostly the FM band. However, I checked the helpful weather band often and recall being forewarned about this past summer’s very heavy rains that flooded many communities up and down the east coast, (12 inches in Roanoke, VA, near where I was at the time) and about the rapidly approaching Hurricane Ernesto. Hikers at shelters often asked if I’d heard a recent weather report, which I was happy to share, especially when autumn nights turned cooler.

I didn’t listen to the TV band much, but did happen to catch the last episode of “Will and Grace” while hunkered down in the Laurel Falls shelter. Oh yeah, I caught lots of baseball games and several good Sunday and Monday night football games as well! Even had several good experiences with “Jimi.”

As a final thought, I was pleasantly surprised to meet numerous hikers along the trail (NOBO and SOBO) who carried radios. Even brief conversation turned to questions about various stations we located.

bigben
01-24-2007, 15:17
Any links, pics, model names, etc of specific tiny little radios? I don't want to wear headphones, but a little transistor radio that weighs a few ounces and takes up very little space is something I'd like to add to my pack.

Bigben

RadioFreq
01-24-2007, 16:40
Any links, pics, model names, etc of specific tiny little radios? I don't want to wear headphones, but a little transistor radio that weighs a few ounces and takes up very little space is something I'd like to add to my pack.

Bigben

....but my impression from previous posts scattered around WB is that most hikers will NOT appreciate your "sharing" your radio while on the trail....or even in the shelters for that matter. Save yourself some dirty looks :mad: and get something small with earbuds. There's a Sony Walkman that has AM/FM/TV/Weather bands that fits in the palm of your hand and weighs very little...uses one small AAA battery. Mine has come in very handy for both weather evaluation and late night entertainment.

Footslogger
01-24-2007, 16:50
[quote=RadioFreq;309001]....Sony Walkman that has AM/FM/TV/Weather bands that fits in the palm of your hand and weighs very little...uses one small AAA battery.

===================================

What's the model number of that product ??

Thanks,

'Slogger

TOW
01-24-2007, 18:03
Back when I was first hiking I would go a week or two at a time and not meet another person except in passing. I was hiking during the winter. I got to the point where I was speaking to myself just to hear a voice. When I got to Kincorra I told Bob about this. He said I needed a radio. I still have that radio and it has served me well on lonely hikes.............

Dances with Mice
01-24-2007, 18:07
What's the model number of that product ??
Sounds like the one I have (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/_3Cwbr%20target=_blank_3EINTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=SRFM37V&Dept=audio&CategoryName=pa_Walkman_RadioWalkman). I'd just like to add that often the best weather forecasts come from the local TV stations.

spittinpigeon
01-24-2007, 18:32
I've had a small radio during two of my hikes, both were only temporary. But when you and your buds can be sitting around camp, starting the fire etc. and all be listening to some rockin' classic tune, it sure lends a different dynamic to the experience.

Footslogger
01-24-2007, 18:46
Sounds like the one I have (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/_3Cwbr%20target=_blank_3EINTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=SRFM37V&Dept=audio&CategoryName=pa_Walkman_RadioWalkman). I'd just like to add that often the best weather forecasts come from the local TV stations.

===============================

Thanks ...is it really almost 2" thick ?? The height/width don't seem bad but if the printed spec is correct that is a pretty thick little unit.

'Slogger

Fannypack
01-24-2007, 18:49
wallworld has a very small radio that straps to your arm that also has the weather stations. around 30-35 bucks. I plan on having one.
here is the one I am currently using: SONY-SRF-M85V-S2-Sports-Digital-Tuning-TV-Weather-AM-FM-Stereo-Armband-Radio http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SRF-M85V-Sports-Walkman-Armband/dp/B0007P4G5I

some details here: http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-SONY-SRF-M85V-S2-Sports-Digital-Tuning-TV-Weather-AM-FM-Stereo-Armband-Radio

Btw, i bought mine from Best Buy (cost $39) and paid the $8 replacement cost - 2 yr replacement for nearly any reason.. e.g., the headphone jack started not making good contact & i was getting static, they replaced it.. I used my everyday (at work, at home, listened to sports talk radio at work & walking at lunchtime - i got a lot of use out of it). remmeber u will be abusing a radio on the trail.

Have fun.

Fannypack
01-24-2007, 18:54
on Best Buy site: Sony Sports Walkman Digital AM/FM Radio with TV-Audio and Weather-Band Tuner
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7022875&st=sONY+M85V&type=product&id=1099394396652

Skidsteer
01-24-2007, 19:01
I carry a Cobra MicroTalk GMRS/FRS radio. It's tiny, has a 17 mile range peak-to-peak (which makes for a suitable Plan B should cell service be unavailable in an emergency), 10 NOAA weather channels and a default battery-save mode. It's been a home run for me.

Here's the official info, if you're interested:

Link (http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page=shop/flypage&product_id=462&id=1&ps_session=76a886aa4b4735c42cbd8bafa76e268b45b4006 d)

What is the voltage of the lithium-ion batteries?

Johnny Swank
01-24-2007, 22:12
I used some Sony walkman-ish radio from Gorham to Springer during 2000. With all the election wackiness that went down, I turned into an NPR junkie!

Usually don't bother for short hikes, but for long trips they help break the monotony for me.

Dances with Mice
01-25-2007, 05:06
Thanks ...is it really almost 2" thick ?? The height/width don't seem bad but if the printed spec is correct that is a pretty thick little unit.I don't think so. I can't get to mine right now to measure. It might if the measurement includes the clip on the back.

Happy
01-25-2007, 10:51
I don't think so. I can't get to mine right now to measure. It might if the measurement includes the clip on the back.

I just replaced my radio with this one and I am VERY pleased with it.

It is one inch thick including the belt clip...I ditched the headphones and use my previosly owned earbuds. Radio, battery and earbuds weigh 3.8 ounces on my digital scales.

I like the setup of the radio as the functions are easy to access and using only one battery is great! It also has a "hold" function to lock in a station or when it is tuned off you may lock it in... to prevent from coming on when not in use to preserve the battery.

RadioFreq
01-25-2007, 12:52

Yep, that's the one.

mudhead
03-24-2007, 05:35
Has anyone seen anything better than this lately? I have seen them in the store, but have held off. Could use some advice on the earbuds. Are they all about the same in the box stores? Don't need fancy, don't want sucky. thanks.

mudhead
04-05-2007, 07:58
So I had to go to the world yesterday. Got one of these weather radios, Works well! Got TOS inside the house. Got a pair of ear doodads.

How tender are these earphone things. They come with a little protective case. Should I just pitch the thing, or is it advised to use it.

Anyone got any good carry ideas for the radio? I thought a spare eyeglass case might work.

Thanks for the debate on this item. I could have bought 2 different POS things before I got mad and did without.

That hold function is cherry!

Dances with Mice
04-05-2007, 08:37
So I had to go to the world yesterday. Got one of these weather radios, Works well! Got TOS inside the house. Got a pair of ear doodads.

How tender are these earphone things. They come with a little protective case. Should I just pitch the thing, or is it advised to use it.

Anyone got any good carry ideas for the radio? I thought a spare eyeglass case might work.

Thanks for the debate on this item. I could have bought 2 different POS things before I got mad and did without.

That hold function is cherry!The earbuds are very durable, I just wrap mine around the radio.

I store the radio, my headlamp, and a controversial wireless communication device together inside a small ziploc bag and stashed in my "misc" ditty bag.

rafe
04-05-2007, 08:41
I store the radio, my headlamp, and a controversial wireless communication device together inside a small ziploc bag and stashed in my "misc" ditty bag.

. . . . LOL. ;)

mweinstone
04-05-2007, 11:16
dear spork. spark. whatever. wanna do something so cool youll be the hit at the shelter? look into a crystl radio. c.craine makes one called the pocket rocket. its a little plastic rocket about 2 or 3 inches and about an ounce or much less. it derives power from a diode. it uses no batterys, crank or power source at all. lasts for ever and is fun. you unwind a three foot wire with an allagator clip on thew end, clamp it to a cookpot or any metle, put the earbud in your ear and slide the magnet to find an am news station. it only picks up the strongest signals witch allways means news and weather. the volume is low of course but knowing your connected without a power source is just great. try it . there good learning gifts for children of all ages. radio is a wonderful hobbie. i enjoy sw and all forms.

Footslogger
04-05-2007, 11:28
[quote=mweinstone;349084]dear spork. spark. whatever. wanna do something so cool youll be the hit at the shelter? look into a crystl radio.

========================================

Now there's a thought. Built one of those about 50 years ago, but it was a larger model and more spread out on my wooden "busy board". Didn't know they had miniaturized the kits ...but it makes sense.

Might look into one of those myself, just for fun !!

'Slogger

mweinstone
04-05-2007, 13:00
yo slogger, they not only make dozens of kits, they have many built ones made to be toys/learning instruments. i have however never seen a pro hiking modle. me and you could colaberate. i built crystle sets as a kid too. we wind copper around a magnet, hook in a crystal diode and an ear bud. we dip the whole thing in reson epoxsy with just the switch, anttenawire and earbud wire protruding. we keep it under 5 bucks and list the parts from radio shak and innernet the instructions! walla! we can have all radios on the trail replaced with ours and no more noise and pollution.not to mention noise pollution. since an earbud is all a diode can power, we help folks stop the radio wars that rage each huiking season. they flare up whenever a radio carrier accedently booms out noise at a shelter and annoys others into rude comments. this is a good idea and only needs one of us to bring a crystal set to the mountains to make sure they work there. if any profits can come from this,.... they go to whiteblaze.i see companys getting in on this and we could start it all off.

Footslogger
04-05-2007, 13:10
[quote=mweinstone;349132]yo slogger, they not only make dozens of kits, they have many built ones made to be toys/learning instruments. i have however never seen a pro hiking modle. me and you could colaberate.
================================

Don't tempt me. Sounds like fun actually.

First question we would get asked is "how many songs can it hold" (a la MP3)

Not sure there is much of a "mass" market for this type of thing among the hiking crowd though. AT $40 - 50, single AAA battery operation and sizes down to that of a bic lighter, I think the MP3 with radio receiver would win out.

Might look into one though ...just for old time sake !!

'Slogger

mudhead
12-05-2007, 20:21
Back in the hunt for a weather radio. My Sony unit plays for 1-5 minutes, then makes a noise like the band switching. Long high pitched...

Switch it off, on, plays for 1-5 minutes...

I have dropped it dry, stuff/smashed it, etc., but have not gotten it wet.

Fog/swirl wet, but not rain.

I like this unit, but... maybe I need something more Jethro-proof.

What is the latest, greatest, cheapest thing out there I can break next?

mudhead
12-06-2007, 07:49
Hummadah, hummmahdah.