PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bags

Companion
07-09-2003, 08:56
As a novice(i.e. never backpacked before), I was appropriately intimidated by the brand new sleeping bags I picked up yesterday. Really...how is that big cylinder of "fluff" going to fit inside a backpack? Am I missing something? Is there a trick to make it compact?

DebW
07-09-2003, 09:20
If it's down, it will compress enourmously. Most bags come with a stuff sack which will easily fit in a backpack. Sometimes you can use an even smaller stuff sack or a compression stuff sack to make it smaller yet. Just don't store it in the stuff sack or it will lose loft over time. Also, make sure you pack the sleeping bag in your pack so it will stay dry no matter what. A garbage bag inside the stuff sack works well.

jojo0425
07-09-2003, 09:57
Companion,

Don't feel bad...I wondered the same thing when I got my bag. I actually tried to roll up my bag like a burrito and place it neatly into its stuffsack. Of course it didn't work. I finally figured out why it is called a "stuffsack". lol

If your bag didn't come with a sack, you can buy them from any outfitter.

Happy Hiking

icemanat95
07-09-2003, 10:38
What kind of bag is it? WHo makes it, what's the model and the fill?

Synthetic bags do not stuff as small and compact as down bags, but they are more tolerant of moisture getting in. They are also heavier than high quality down bags.

I do not recommend compression stuff sacks for synthetic fill bags, the fill tends to get crimped by the compression and they lose loft. You can convert a 10 degree synthetic bag into a 30 degree bag pretty darned quick by stuffing it into a compression stuff sack. Conversely, I can stuff a -40 degree down bag into a medium sized compression stuff sack, synch it down to something the size of a large loaf of bread and it will loft right back up.