PDA

View Full Version : Penn. Shuttle

rainmaker
01-21-2007, 23:01
Madame and I are planning our 2007 section hike from Harpers Ferry to Delaware Water Gap. What shuttle ( or other transportation ) options are available? One idea I had was to leave my car in Charlotte, NC, take Amtrak to D.C. and the commuter line to Harpers Ferry and then return to Charlotte by Amtrak via NYC. We would have to take a bus to NYC. Madame tells me that sleeping in the wilderness with strangers is OK, but she a'int going to NYC. The very idea gives her the willies. So I suppose that will not be one of our options. Any ideas? Thanks.

rafe
01-21-2007, 23:22
Madame tells me that sleeping in the wilderness with strangers is OK, but she a'int going to NYC.

That's really a riot. I walked across Manhattan with my backpack, in full hiking regalia, after this year's section hike. It was a gas. FWIW, Martz Trailways serves DWG and Stroudsburg. Tell Madame it's safe. The city has has had Republican mayors for a while. :rolleyes:

Programbo
01-21-2007, 23:54
One idea I had was to leave my car in Charlotte, NC, take Amtrak to D.C. and the commuter line to Harpers Ferry

That would work..If you had like an extra 3 days or so it might be fun to hike up the C&O Canal from DC to where the AT joins it

4eyedbuzzard
01-22-2007, 00:01
Well, she may be a bit scared, but there is definitely one trail in NYC that really shouldn't be missed. The Wickquasgeck Trail runs the entire length of Manhattan Island. When the Dutch landed in the 1600's it was an Indian path. Nowadays it's known as Broadway. New Yorkers may seem a bit scary, but most are no worse than hikers, though some do smell just as bad.

LIhikers
01-22-2007, 19:23
If you are going to finish in Delaware Water Gap I know for sure that the folks that run the Pack Shack, there in town, do shuttles. From their web page (570) 424 - 8533 and of course the web site is www.packshack.com/ (http://www.packshack.com/)

mrc237
01-22-2007, 21:39
There is a Bus Station in DWG that has near hourly commutes into NYCs Port Authority Bus Station Penn Station is a 8 block walk South where you can find Amtrak. Don't pay attention to the naysayers about NYC its the greatest city on earth despite having Republican leadership. Check out if the DWG has buses to Philadelphia and Union Station. Have a great hike.