PDA

View Full Version : Southern Ruck 2007 copyrite 1-22-07

TOW
01-22-2007, 12:37
A Rucking I will go,
A Rucking I will go,
Hi ho a cheerio,
A Rucking I will go......................

That's what I was a singing until I awoke at 4 am Friday morning on the 12th of January 2007. That's when I did not want to get out of bed and pack my pack. After all I didn't know that many people that were going to be there, what else but hiking the Appalachian Trail did we have in common?

By 5:30 am I manage to roll onto the floor off of my thermarest and onto my feet and off into the bathroom to let go of some pounds. Then into the kitchen and brewed a pot of coffee. I began to get motivated and by the time 8 am rolls up I'm packed and waiting for Lone Wolf. I mean like "Let's go dude! Now!"

By 9 am we are rolling down 91 heading to Nantahala Gorge, NC for the 2007 Southern Ruck! A ruck is a gathering.

Lone Wolf and I have known each other since meeting back in '01 in Damascus at Trail Days. I met him, Wee Willy Prince of Whales, Pirate, Sawman, Legs and Rat Patrol, and some of the original cast of Hobocentral.

MRC had driven down from New York and was following us. Lone Wolf and I talked about everything related to what was being talked about on Whiteblaze and some of the cats that were members of who we would hope to see, then looking forward to seeing so and so and him enlightening as to who was who and so forth.

We had been traveling for a couple of hours and we had gotten onto a conversation about Alcoholics Anonymous, a program that I have been in and out of for almost thirty years. Mostly out.

Wolf was saying it was a crutch for those who want to get sober and he added, "It's not the fact that the person has a drinking problem, the fact is they have a thinking problem!"

I says to myself, "Wolfy hit the nail on the head, maybe he wants to be my sponsor?" Anyway we carried this conversation on for awhile longer and then we were talking about bumper stickers on cars when he says, "I should have put my Bush/Cheney sticker on before I left, this here being liberal country down here in Ashville, NC. Just to stir the pot." We had a good laugh but I was thinking had he done that then I probably would not be here typing this story because him and I would have been kidnapped and strung up on the end of a rope after they had tarred and feathered us!

We arrived at Nantahala Outdoor Center around 1 pm. Our fearless leader "Sly" had not arrived yet. So we just wiled away the minutes as our brothers and sisters of the trail began to arrive. Minutes turned into hours and hours turned into days and finally Sly has been there and gone and so had I. That's why they call him Sly..........

As we are introducing ourselves to each other, the beer pops out along with the "Shine!" If you have ever seen that movie "The Shining" with Jack Nicholson then you'll remember that was what Jack was on when he was having them hallucinations. Of course I don't drink myself but that shine sure did smell good. If I ever return to drinking then shine will be my drink of choice. To me there is nothing better to drink if your going to drink. You'll never have to worry about a hangover with shine because you'll be too durn drunk to worry about one and you'll swear you are as sober as sober can be the next day after sipping on some. It's best to doctor this stuff up a bit with some cinnamon or peach just to bear the first few sips, then after that you could add sewer water since you won't be able to taste anything anyway.

Then all at once that goddess Starlyte shows up and all of us hiker dudes sobered up a bit as she jumped out of her jeep in her black leathers and spiked heals a snapping that whip of hers! Got our full attention I tell ya! Nah, I'm just a joshing ya. Starlyte is one of the coolest "Trail Angel" women of the trail in my opinion.

Out of the past came Legs a stumbling like I had left him at Trail Days in 2001! Man, what a bro! I'll never forget the good time we had together a rocking to Rat Patrols "The Tommy Lyons Band" and the band that Legs was able to bring from his neck of the woods "Ten Feet Thick!" Man, what a concert. This was the first time I had seen him since and he hadn't changed a bit! Still the lovable feller that he was back then.

I met Hog On Ice and felt secure as I met another who did not need the drink nor the weed to have a good time. And you know that's important when you are on the wagon, to have someone else around that is with you to let you know that you are not alone.

I start hearing clicking sounds and turn to see Big Cranky snapping pictures. So I go to posing for the camera and all because I figure he wants pictures of what a real fat hiker dude looks like because I am real fat hiker dude. This reminds me of the time back when I first started hiking when I had absconded from probation in Bryson City, NC after reading the book "A Walk In The Woods" by Bill Bryson. I had hiked into Gatlinburg, Tn and was at the Smoky Mountain National Park visitors center and got to talking to this chap that had just retired as a Major from the US Army. I had told him that I was a Super Duper Hiker Dude that was hiking the great Appalachian Trail when all at once he just ups and burst my big bubble!

He says, "You ain't no damn hiker hiking the AT! Your fat! Hikers who hike the trail ain't fat!"

I says, "Well, I can tell you don't know a thing your talking about! I have met very few hikers who are athletes pal!" That was probably because most athletes had better sense than I did at the time.

He just kind of pulled back and rubbed his chin while thinking about what I had just told him. I walked away from him thinking that he needed to go back into the Army so that he could get that big trap of his slapped around by a General.

Then I get to meet Chocolate Bandito. I about had heart failure just a standing in her presence, what a cutie! Made me want to lose some weight right there and swoop her into my arms and hike off into the sunset. But that dude that she was with didn't look like anything that I would want to have to tangle with when he caught up with us, so I just gave him my best impression of the ole evil eye and started transmitting to him in ESP that I had.......

Anyway, never mind....................

Lo and behold I meet Bfitz, Matthewski and Wonderfoot. Talk about good lookers of the trail, that ole Matt.......whoops I mean Wonderfoot is a very wholesome young lass and a good juggler that has a good jiggle to her as she is wiggling as she is juggling. Man I sure wish I had seen that, sure heard about it.

Lone Wolf had asked me if I had ever met Ron Haven from the Budget Inn in Franklin, NC on the way down? I said I had not. I was talking to somebone when he approached and said in the voice of Mr. Haney from that old television show Green Acres, "Hello, I'm Ron Haven from Franklin." Haven, Franklin? Wow, what a concept. We fell right into conversation like we had known each other our entire lives. That's how it is down here in hillbilly country, we just wave at each other and go to talking about everything whether we know what is being talked about or not. And dare not a Yankee should step into our way of speaking 'less they can put on like we can. I think Lone Wolf has almost got it down to a science. I mean this guy changed his dialect several times at the Ruck. He would talk Yankee when he was around MRC and Sly, them two being Yankees ya know, and then he'd almost talk hillbilly when he was around the rest of us hillbilly's. He's gonna get tongue tied one of these days and I hope I am around to witness it.

Ron Haven goes to telling me about himself and how he was a pro wrestler back in the late 1800's. Or was that the late 1900's?

As we all are milling around putting faces to names and getting to know each other, Gadog, another hotty of the trail and her crew of merry men and women are putting together a slew of chitlins for us all too hungry souls. Reminds me of the song by Willie Wannabe of "Mommas don't let your baby's grow up to be hikers at a hiker gathering, they'll eat you out of house and home......" Know that one?

I walked into the kitchen as this was going on and met Peanuts. I was naturally drawn to her. It was her garlic man and I go nuts when there is garlic in the house. Garlic is like an aphrodisiac to me and with Peanuts handling her garlic the way she was I about passed out. Her wholesomeness along with the garlic about knocked me right off of my feet. Guys, that's a good lady right there! I like the way she talks. Italiano with a bit of Chicago mobster intertwined in her voice so that you will get the message that you had better listen and heed what she is about to say to ya or you'll be wondering how that piece of garlic bread ended up beside your head as your picking yourself up off the floor.

The food was great! Hikers know how to bring food and cook food. I mean we had ramen noodles and then we had canned tuna and packaged cheese! Yep, we know how to eat!

Just joshing ya a bit. The dinner and those who prepared it was awesome! We had smoked salmon, smoked pork, deviled eggs, Irish meatballs, spaghetti, home made french bread with roasted garlic spread, salad, veggie soup, veggie stew, red beans and rice, split pea soup, taters-that's potato for you slow ones, rolls, pasta salad, apple pie, chocolate cookies, hog jowls, chitlins, pig brains and a partridge in a pear tree loaded with pears too! Man, I plucked chitlins from between my teeth for better part of the night. Wholesome hillbilly delights!

Then it was movie time! Or slide presentation to be more exact. Spur and Ready had the best slide presentation I have ever seen anyone present. They had hiked the CDT last year and took a whole slew of pictures on their digital cameras, then they made slides out of some of them and threw some music in for effect and then presto! Man it was like I was right there with them at the moment! I really enjoyed their work!

After that, Warren Doyle had a slide presentation too. Now you remember back when we were all in grade school or high school and our teachers would show us a slide presentation on some mundane subject like the birds and the bees and how it is that storks deliver babies don't ya? Well Warren's slide presentation reminded me of those yester-years.

At first I just couldn't get into what he was presenting. I sure did like the talk that he gave to us in the beginning and one thing still stands out from that talk. He asked a question about why do we hike? He answered it by saying simply that we love the outdoors and everything that goes with the outdoors in the hiking aspect. He said some people enjoy the outdoors in other countless ways but it is we hikers who like to get out there and really get our hands and knees dirty and walk to where it is we have to go.

As his presentation progressed I began to remember back when I use to dream of hiking the great trails of the world as a young man. I remembered the old National Geographic magazines that I read and all those pictures of back packers hiking some trail while camping and living in the wild for a short time. And I remembered those memories as being good. It's a trip how something you see like this presentation would conjure up old fond memories. You know how it is, you smell something, or you hear an old song, someone says something and then there you are! Back to when you were just a young thing and hanging out with so and so while doing this or that. Those were the days! Thank you Warren for bringing out my inner child. Not that I have grown up yet, but that's another long winded tale to tall to tell...............

Saturday morning was more hog jowls and chitlins to feed the crowd that were going hiking with Lone Wolf. I ate just to be fat and sassy. Like I'm not already fat and sassy. After breakfast Ron Haven showed up with his custom made hiker bus. About thirty of us hikers loaded up and into the thing along with Lone Wolf to make the trip to Tellico Gap. Along the way Ron got our attention by pointing out at some particular crossing and said "If you went down that road you would come across some hollow and then go over this here mountain and then through someones backyard and end up either back in Franklin or some far away land."

That's a hillbilly for ya!

I decided not to hike with them. This rat poisoning I'm on to thin my blood out had given me a big blood blister right on top of my right kneecap and I wasn't about to risk it popping and me bleeding to death, so I decided to just ride back with Ron. I'm glad I did. Ron talked and I listened.

Ron Haven loves Appalachian Trail hikers. He has since he was knee high to his poppa's knees, or was that the other way around? Anyway him and his buddy use to take some fatback and canned goods and go feed the hikers and just hang out with them up there on Tellico Gap. One time they met a young hiker lass who invited them to hike. They hiked all the way to Fontana Dam with her before they decided to go home They just couldn't say no to this beautiful siren of a hiker. If their tummy's hadn't began to grumble for more of moms cooking they probably would have followed her all the way to Kathadin. When they finally got home they almost received the red carpet treatment because their folks were worried to death that some bear or hog had gotten to them, perhaps a spaceship had landed and took them to outer space and onto another planet? But anyway the thing is, Ron and that other lad had a grand time. I really bet that after Ron got home and his family made sure he was okay, they probably wore a hickory switch out on his little tough hide. Even though he isn't telling that side of the story, I bet that's what happened.

About twenty or so years ago he became a professional wrestler. He loved that job, he got to travel and make good money along the way entertaining people with all of his wrestling ways. But Franklin, North Carolina is home and there is no place like home. In fact there is no place like Franklin at all. And after the wrestling thing Ron began driving trucks and coming home on his time off. He began to buy property, before he knew it he owned a couple of motels that are advertised as being American Owned! That's important to us Americans! Because America is getting closer to not being America at all!

Ron says he has four or five shuttle drivers that shuttle hikers to and from the trail. Along with that he has this bus that he just acquired. It's not a requirement that you stay at one of his places if he gives you a ride to town, but if you do you will get a room at a price that regular travelers don't normally receive. With all that said, Ron says that there are hikers who still thinks he charges too much and they come across as if they expect him just to give them what they want for nothing. Knowing him for the short time that I hung out with him I'm sure that he has given of himself and his business quite a few times. But a man has got to make a living you know and that type of behavior has gotten real old along the trail. Ron Haven is not the only proprietor that cater to the hiking community or who gets to meet these type of folks. My advice, if your going to hike the trail, is to be prepared to reach into your pocket when you want a nice hot shower and a roof over your head for the night. Or just keep on hiking. If you don't have money, someone will put you to work doing something but don't expect someone else to pick up your tab. After all you came to the trail to make some changes in your life, so do it!

We came across the Tellico family farm of which Tellico Gap is named after. Ron showed me the rock walls that some slaves had built before the civil war. Just looking at those walls broke out a sweat on me. Last time I had come across some rock walls that slaves had built was on Block Island, Rhode Island back in the summer of 2002. It was no doubt some back breaking work.

I really enjoyed my ride back to NOC with Ron Haven. I look forward to meeting this guy again someday.

Much of the rest of the weekend was spent with me just hanging out with the many wholesome hikers that showed up. I say wholesome because that was just what they were. Hikers are a unique breed of people........................

Lone Wolf had asked me if I had met Circuit Breaker, whoops I mean Circuit Rider and Sherlock? I replied I had not and he had told me about them. He said he doesn't like to listen to too much preaching but when it came to Circuit Rider then he could probably listen to him all day. The moment I met the man I had no doubt that this man and his side kick Sherlock were true brothers of the Lord.

On Sunday morning they both presented Sunday school to the few of us that showed up. I do not recall what Sherlock had spoke to us about, but the story that Circuit Rider told us about going to Princeton to see some old friends of the trail is still fresh in my mind. It was hilarious! Him and Sherlock had went to see these people and end up in the wrong house in the same neighborhood. If you ever get a chance to meet him, ask him about this story.

I could go on a bit more, I truly enjoyed myself. Lone Wolf and I hung out for another night instead of returning home on Sunday. After two games of Scrabble, one with Just Austin who happens to be Just Mary's child and another somebody of whose name I have forgotten, I hiked to Rufus Morgan Shelter and stayed for the night. I beat those two hands down by the way. I love Scrabble as long as I am winning. Don't expect me to like it if you happen to kick my fanny though. I will always return for some more punishment until I can lay you down like the dog you are! Yeah, I said that!

After breakfast in the restaurant at NOC, Lone Wolf and I returned home. As we began to get near Damascus, Virginia I truly felt like I was coming home. I haven't lived here very long, since May of 2005, but this is home now. I am called "The Only Wanderer" on the trail but I think I am up for a new trail name. My wandering days are over. I have wandered all over the world. I have seen some beautiful scenery, but there is no place at all like this small village along the Appalachian Mountain Chain where the AT goes right across my front door so to speak. At least not for me anyway.

I am one who has never had a home, until now.

Larry Riddle copyrite 1-22-07

Lugnut
01-22-2007, 12:50
You sound like a very happy and contented man. Good for you! :)

K0OPG
01-22-2007, 12:56
outstanding read, thanks.

Creek Dancer
01-22-2007, 13:22
Thank you so much for such and open and candid post. I enjoyed reading every word, even the second time around.

I was very glad to meet you at SoRuck. I mostly lurk and learn around here, so I feel like I had already "met" you and the others. I had a great time at SoRuck. The people and stories have given me the inspiration to attempt my own thru...maybe in 2008.

Wonder
01-22-2007, 13:23
Nice! Is it ok if I print this out for my notebook! It was great to replay the weekend thru someone elses eyes!
It was great finally meeting you and can wait to see you again!

Gray Blazer
01-22-2007, 13:46
Longest post I ever read on WB. Thanks for the good read.

Mountain Maiden
01-22-2007, 13:48
What a terrific 'trip report!' Thanks for sharing some of the moments I missed at the SORUCK (maybe because some of us 'went astray' on a field trip that is destined by all who participated to become an annual event!)

Thanks for sharing about Ron Haven..what a great Trail Angel and a reason to not miss Franklin!

Sherlock's topic was "friendship." Much like those formed on the Trail, he said friendships affect our lives in three ways:
*It is disarming--
*It is powerful--
*It changes our destiny!

Unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to meet you personally but admired you from afar :)...Maybe next time!

Truly, it was the best SORUCK ever!!
Sunny aka Sunrise aka Cody Zamora :sun

TOW
01-22-2007, 15:09
Nice! Is it ok if I print this out for my notebook! It was great to replay the weekend thru someone elses eyes!
It was great finally meeting you and can wait to see you again!you mean you can wait to see me again? i'm hurt i tell ya! i know what you meant sis...................you have my pemission to copy and post this onto your notebook...........

Sly
01-22-2007, 15:22
Nice essay TOW, thanks for sharing.

Dances with Mice
01-22-2007, 18:02
A Rucking I will go,
A Rucking I will go,
Hi ho a cheerio,
A Rucking I will go......................"That's a great act!" said the Talent Agent. "What do you call it?"

TJ aka Teej
01-22-2007, 18:27
Really nice ToW, thanks!

TOW
01-22-2007, 18:38
Man, my back feels so massaged right about now.........thanx guys!

woodsy
01-22-2007, 18:51
Well I wasn't exactly along for the ride but sure feel like I was. You're a great storyteller!
Glad you finally found a home you like, location..location..location

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-22-2007, 21:00
Very nice essay, TOW.

tiamalle
01-23-2007, 00:40
A Rucking I will go,
A Rucking I will go,
Hi ho a cheerio,
A Rucking I will go......................

That's what I was a singing until I awoke at 4 am Friday morning on the 12th of January 2007. That's when I did not want to get out of bed and pack my pack. After all I didn't know that many people that were going to be there, what else but hiking the Appalachian Trail did we have in common?

By 5:30 am I manage to roll onto the floor off of my thermarest and onto my feet and off into the bathroom to let go of some pounds. Then into the kitchen and brewed a pot of coffee. I began to get motivated and by the time 8 am rolls up I'm packed and waiting for Lone Wolf. I mean like "Let's go dude! Now!"

By 9 am we are rolling down 91 heading to Nantahala Gorge, NC for the 2007 Southern Ruck! A ruck is a gathering.

Lone Wolf and I have known each other since meeting back in '01 in Damascus at Trail Days. I met him, Wee Willy Prince of Whales, Pirate, Sawman, Legs and Rat Patrol, and some of the original cast of Hobocentral.

MRC had driven down from New York and was following us. Lone Wolf and I talked about everything related to what was being talked about on Whiteblaze and some of the cats that were members of who we would hope to see, then looking forward to seeing so and so and him enlightening as to who was who and so forth.

We had been traveling for a couple of hours and we had gotten onto a conversation about Alcoholics Anonymous, a program that I have been in and out of for almost thirty years. Mostly out.

Wolf was saying it was a crutch for those who want to get sober and he added, "It's not the fact that the person has a drinking problem, the fact is they have a thinking problem!"

I says to myself, "Wolfy hit the nail on the head, maybe he wants to be my sponsor?" Anyway we carried this conversation on for awhile longer and then we were talking about bumper stickers on cars when he says, "I should have put my Bush/Cheney sticker on before I left, this here being liberal country down here in Ashville, NC. Just to stir the pot." We had a good laugh but I was thinking had he done that then I probably would not be here typing this story because him and I would have been kidnapped and strung up on the end of a rope after they had tarred and feathered us!

We arrived at Nantahala Outdoor Center around 1 pm. Our fearless leader "Sly" had not arrived yet. So we just wiled away the minutes as our brothers and sisters of the trail began to arrive. Minutes turned into hours and hours turned into days and finally Sly has been there and gone and so had I. That's why they call him Sly..........

As we are introducing ourselves to each other, the beer pops out along with the "Shine!" If you have ever seen that movie "The Shining" with Jack Nicholson then you'll remember that was what Jack was on when he was having them hallucinations. Of course I don't drink myself but that shine sure did smell good. If I ever return to drinking then shine will be my drink of choice. To me there is nothing better to drink if your going to drink. You'll never have to worry about a hangover with shine because you'll be too durn drunk to worry about one and you'll swear you are as sober as sober can be the next day after sipping on some. It's best to doctor this stuff up a bit with some cinnamon or peach just to bear the first few sips, then after that you could add sewer water since you won't be able to taste anything anyway.

Then all at once that goddess Starlyte shows up and all of us hiker dudes sobered up a bit as she jumped out of her jeep in her black leathers and spiked heals a snapping that whip of hers! Got our full attention I tell ya! Nah, I'm just a joshing ya. Starlyte is one of the coolest "Trail Angel" women of the trail in my opinion.

Out of the past came Legs a stumbling like I had left him at Trail Days in 2001! Man, what a bro! I'll never forget the good time we had together a rocking to Rat Patrols band "Ten Feet Thick!" Man, what a concert. This was the first time I had seen him since and he hadn't changed a bit! Still the lovable feller that he was back then.

I met Hog On Ice and felt secure as I met another who did not need the drink nor the weed to have a good time. And you know that's important when you are on the wagon, to have someone else around that is with you to let you know that you are not alone.

I start hearing clicking sounds and turn to see Big Cranky snapping pictures. So I go to posing for the camera and all because I figure he wants pictures of what a real fat hiker dude looks like because I am real fat hiker dude. This reminds me of the time back when I first started hiking when I had absconded from probation in Bryson City, NC after reading the book "A Walk In The Woods" by Bill Bryson. I had hiked into Gatlinburg, Tn and was at the Smoky Mountain National Park visitors center and got to talking to this chap that had just retired as a Major from the US Army. I had told him that I was a Super Duper Hiker Dude that was hiking the great Appalachian Trail when all at once he just ups and burst my big bubble!

He says, "You ain't no damn hiker hiking the AT! Your fat! Hikers who hike the trail ain't fat!"

I says, "Well, I can tell you don't know a thing your talking about! I have met very few hikers who are athletes pal!" That was probably because most athletes had better sense than I did at the time.

He just kind of pulled back and rubbed his chin while thinking about what I had just told him. I walked away from him thinking that he needed to go back into the Army so that he could get that big trap of his slapped around by a General.

Then I get to meet Chocolate Bandito. I about had heart failure just a standing in her presence, what a cutie! Made me want to lose some weight right there and swoop her into my arms and hike off into the sunset. But that dude that she was with didn't look like anything that I would want to have to tangle with when he caught up with us, so I just gave him my best impression of the ole evil eye and started transmitting to him in ESP that I had.......

Anyway, never mind....................

Lo and behold I meet Bfitz, Matthewski and Wonderfoot. Talk about good lookers of the trail, that ole Matt.......whoops I mean Wonderfoot is a very wholesome young lass and a good juggler that has a good jiggle to her as she is wiggling as she is juggling. Man I sure wish I had seen that, sure heard about it.

Lone Wolf had asked me if I had ever met Ron Haven from the Budget Inn in Franklin, NC on the way down? I said I had not. I was talking to somebone when he approached and said in the voice of Mr. Haney from that old television show Green Acres, "Hello, I'm Ron Haven from Franklin." Haven, Franklin? Wow, what a concept. We fell right into conversation like we had known each other our entire lives. That's how it is down here in hillbilly country, we just wave at each other and go to talking about everything whether we know what is being talked about or not. And dare not a Yankee should step into our way of speaking 'less they can put on like we can. I think Lone Wolf has almost got it down to a science. I mean this guy changed his dialect several times at the Ruck. He would talk Yankee when he was around MRC and Sly, them two being Yankees ya know, and then he'd almost talk hillbilly when he was around the rest of us hillbilly's. He's gonna get tongue tied one of these days and I hope I am around to witness it.

Ron Haven goes to telling me about himself and how he was a pro wrestler back in the late 1800's. Or was that the late 1900's?

As we all are milling around putting faces to names and getting to know each other, Gadog, another hotty of the trail and her crew of merry men and women are putting together a slew of chitlins for us all too hungry souls. Reminds me of the song by Willie Wannabe of "Mommas don't let your baby's grow up to be hikers at a hiker gathering, they'll eat you out of house and home......" Know that one?

I walked into the kitchen as this was going on and met Peanuts. I was naturally drawn to her. It was her garlic man and I go nuts when there is garlic in the house. Garlic is like an aphrodisiac to me and with Peanuts handling her garlic the way she was I about passed out. Her wholesomeness along with the garlic about knocked me right off of my feet. Guys, that's a good lady right there! I like the way she talks. Italiano with a bit of Chicago mobster intertwined in her voice so that you will get the message that you had better listen and heed what she is about to say to ya or you'll be wondering how that piece of garlic bread ended up beside your head as your picking yourself up off the floor.

The food was great! Hikers know how to bring food and cook food. I mean we had ramen noodles and then we had canned tuna and packaged cheese! Yep, we know how to eat!

Just joshing ya a bit. The dinner and those who prepared it was awesome! We had smoked salmon, smoked pork, deviled eggs, Irish meatballs, spaghetti, home made french bread with roasted garlic spread, salad, veggie soup, veggie stew, red beans and rice, split pea soup, taters-that's potato for you slow ones, rolls, pasta salad, apple pie, chocolate cookies, hog jowls, chitlins, pig brains and a partridge in a pear tree loaded with pears too! Man, I plucked chitlins from between my teeth for better part of the night. Wholesome hillbilly delights!

Then it was movie time! Or slide presentation to be more exact. Spur and Ready had the best slide presentation I have ever seen anyone present. They had hiked the CDT last year and took a whole slew of pictures on their digital cameras, then they made slides out of some of them and threw some music in for effect and then presto! Man it was like I was right there with them at the moment! I really enjoyed their work!

After that, Warren Doyle had a slide presentation too. Now you remember back when we were all in grade school or high school and our teachers would show us a slide presentation on some mundane subject like the birds and the bees and how it is that storks deliver babies don't ya? Well Warren's slide presentation reminded me of those yester-years.

At first I just couldn't get into what he was presenting. I sure did like the talk that he gave to us in the beginning and one thing still stands out from that talk. He asked a question about why do we hike? He answered it by saying simply that we love the outdoors and everything that goes with the outdoors in the hiking aspect. He said some people enjoy the outdoors in other countless ways but it is we hikers who like to get out there and really get our hands and knees dirty and walk to where it is we have to go.

As his presentation progressed I began to remember back when I use to dream of hiking the great trails of the world as a young man. I remembered the old National Geographic magazines that I read and all those pictures of back packers hiking some trail while camping and living in the wild for a short time. And I remembered those memories as being good. It's a trip how something you see like this presentation would conjure up old fond memories. You know how it is, you smell something, or you hear an old song, someone says something and then there you are! Back to when you were just a young thing and hanging out with so and so while doing this or that. Those were the days! Thank you Warren for bringing out my inner child. Not that I have grown up yet, but that's another long winded tale to tall to tell...............

Saturday morning was more hog jowls and chitlins to feed the crowd that were going hiking with Lone Wolf. I ate just to be fat and sassy. Like I'm not already fat and sassy. After breakfast Ron Haven showed up with his custom made hiker bus. About thirty of us hikers loaded up and into the thing along with Lone Wolf to make the trip to Tellico Gap. Along the way Ron got our attention by pointing out at some particular crossing and said "If you went down that road you would come across some hollow and then go over this here mountain and then through someones backyard and end up either back in Franklin or some far away land."

That's a hillbilly for ya!

I decided not to hike with them. This rat poisoning I'm on to thin my blood out had given me a big blood blister right on top of my right kneecap and I wasn't about to risk it popping and me bleeding to death, so I decided to just ride back with Ron. I'm glad I did. Ron talked and I listened.

Ron Haven loves Appalachian Trail hikers. He has since he was knee high to his poppa's knees, or was that the other way around? Anyway him and his buddy use to take some fatback and canned goods and go feed the hikers and just hang out with them up there on Tellico Gap. One time they met a young hiker lass who invited them to hike. They hiked all the way to Fontana Dam with her before they decided to go home They just couldn't say no to this beautiful siren of a hiker. If their tummy's hadn't began to grumble for more of moms cooking they probably would have followed her all the way to Kathadin. When they finally got home they almost received the red carpet treatment because their folks were worried to death that some bear or hog had gotten to them, perhaps a spaceship had landed and took them to outer space and onto another planet? But anyway the thing is, Ron and that other lad had a grand time. I really bet that after Ron got home and his family made sure he was okay, they probably wore a hickory switch out on his little tough hide. Even though he isn't telling that side of the story, I bet that's what happened.

About twenty or so years ago he became a professional wrestler. He loved that job, he got to travel and make good money along the way entertaining people with all of his wrestling ways. But Franklin, North Carolina is home and there is no place like home. In fact there is no place like Franklin at all. And after the wrestling thing Ron began driving trucks and coming home on his time off. He began to buy property, before he knew it he owned a couple of motels that are advertised as being American Owned! That's important to us Americans! Because America is getting closer to not being America at all!

Ron says he has four or five shuttle drivers that shuttle hikers to and from the trail. Along with that he has this bus that he just acquired. It's not a requirement that you stay at one of his places if he gives you a ride to town, but if you do you will get a room at a price that regular travelers don't normally receive. With all that said, Ron says that there are hikers who still thinks he charges too much and they come across as if they expect him just to give them what they want for nothing. Knowing him for the short time that I hung out with him I'm sure that he has given of himself and his business quite a few times. But a man has got to make a living you know and that type of behavior has gotten real old along the trail. Ron Haven is not the only proprietor that cater to the hiking community or who gets to meet these type of folks. My advice, if your going to hike the trail, is to be prepared to reach into your pocket when you want a nice hot shower and a roof over your head for the night. Or just keep on hiking. If you don't have money, someone will put you to work doing something but don't expect someone else to pick up your tab. After all you came to the trail to make some changes in your life, so do it!

We came across the Tellico family farm of which Tellico Gap is named after. Ron showed me the rock walls that some slaves had built before the civil war. Just looking at those walls broke out a sweat on me. Last time I had come across some rock walls that slaves had built was on Block Island, Rhode Island back in the summer of 2002. It was no doubt some back breaking work.

I really enjoyed my ride back to NOC with Ron Haven. I look forward to meeting this guy again someday.

Much of the rest of the weekend was spent with me just hanging out with the many wholesome hikers that showed up. I say wholesome because that was just what they were. Hikers are a unique breed of people........................

Lone Wolf had asked me if I had met Circuit Breaker, whoops I mean Circuit Rider and Sherlock? I replied I had not and he had told me about them. He said he doesn't like to listen to too much preaching but when it came to Circuit Rider then he could probably listen to him all day. The moment I met the man I had no doubt that this man and his side kick Sherlock were true brothers of the Lord.

On Sunday morning they both presented Sunday school to the few of us that showed up. I do not recall what Sherlock had spoke to us about, but the story that Circuit Rider told us about going to Princeton to see some old friends of the trail is still fresh in my mind. It was hilarious! Him and Sherlock had went to see these people and end up in the wrong house in the same neighborhood. If you ever get a chance to meet him, ask him about this story.

I could go on a bit more, I truly enjoyed myself. Lone Wolf and I hung out for another night instead of returning home on Sunday. After two games of Scrabble, one with Just Austin who happens to be Just Mary's child and another somebody of whose name I have forgotten, I hiked to Rufus Morgan Shelter and stayed for the night. I beat those two hands down by the way. I love Scrabble as long as I am winning. Don't expect me to like it if you happen to kick my fanny though. I will always return for some more punishment until I can lay you down like the dog you are! Yeah, I said that!

After breakfast in the restaurant at NOC, Lone Wolf and I returned home. As we began to get near Damascus, Virginia I truly felt like I was coming home. I haven't lived here very long, since May of 2005, but this is home now. I am called "The Only Wanderer" on the trail but I think I am up for a new trail name. My wandering days are over. I have wandered all over the world. I have seen some beautiful scenery, but there is no place at all like this small village along the Appalachian Mountain Chain where the AT goes right across my front door so to speak. At least not for me anyway.

I am one who has never had a home, until now.

Larry Riddle copyrite 1-22-07 TOW the opportunity to meet you also
was great and thanx for the kind words too.If I don't see you at the fool bash I'll look for you at Trail Days :D

TOW
01-23-2007, 11:07
Well I wasn't exactly along for the ride but sure feel like I was. You're a great storyteller!
Glad you finally found a home you like, location..location..location

As long as I get to keep my house, that is if I am able to acquire some more work and keep the rent paid, my house is open to hikers. But I have some very simple rules; No drinking, no drugs, no being under the "extreme" influence of either. Absolutely no drugs or alcohol on the premises. Be considerate of my belongings and me. Bring your own food for the most part. "When the time comes later I will prepare meals for thos of you who stay, but right now I just need to stay on my feet with this place."

I have no doubt that my Higher Power of whom I choose to call God has given me this house and I plan on utilizing it the way I feel He wants me too.

Right now all I have is floor space. But I have a nice hot long shower and the laundry is an easy walk across the street.

If anyone decides to stay with me, and I do hope some of you will, I will probably ask you for a small amount of money to offset the cost of your stay. However if my bills are already met, I will not push the issue.

Here it is. 204 Douglas Drive, right next door to Cowboy's. Everyone is going to know sooner or later where I live anyway.

There is no television yet, no computer or internet yet, and no telephone yet. I say yet because I am planning on acquiring all of these items. When I do get a phone, it will be for local calls only unless you have a calling card to call where ever it is you need to call.

Anyway................

TOW
01-23-2007, 11:09
deleted message

TOW
01-23-2007, 11:13
deleted message

TOW
01-24-2007, 10:48
TOW the opportunity to meet you also
was great and thanx for the kind words too.If I don't see you at the fool bash I'll look for you at Trail Days :D
Thankyou................

Rain Man
01-24-2007, 12:02
TOW,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience and thoughts! It is a great essay! I appreciated getting to read it.

Best to you.

Rain:sunMan

RAT
01-25-2007, 04:10
I'll never forget the good time we had together a rocking to Rat Patrols band "Ten Feet Thick!" Man, what a concert.

I hate to correct you Larry but "10 feet thick" was not MY band. My band was the Tommy Lyons Band (not the same one I had in 93, 94 and 95 at Trail Daze which was West 67 my road band) but we played first then 10 ft thick played which was a band that Legs booked from his corner of the world in Wilmington NC. Some great friends of his and now good friends of mine. It was great openin up for them and esp when they asked me to jamm out their last set with em, was a great time for sure. Just wanted to set the record straight here ;) I guess your mind was a bit foggy back in those daze eh ? heh, glad ya happy with your life and the changes you have made and I hope the road you have chosen is a smooth and successful one. Probly see ya soon in Damascus if they dont run ya off first !!! LOL

RAT > PATROL

TOW
01-25-2007, 18:10
I hate to correct you Larry but "10 feet thick" was not MY band. My band was the Tommy Lyons Band (not the same one I had in 93, 94 and 95 at Trail Daze which was West 67 my road band) but we played first then 10 ft thick played which was a band that Legs booked from his corner of the world in Wilmington NC. Some great friends of his and now good friends of mine. It was great openin up for them and esp when they asked me to jamm out their last set with em, was a great time for sure. Just wanted to set the record straight here ;) I guess your mind was a bit foggy back in those daze eh ? heh, glad ya happy with your life and the changes you have made and I hope the road you have chosen is a smooth and successful one. Probly see ya soon in Damascus if they dont run ya off first !!! LOL

RAT > PATROL
My bad then. Why would they run me off, just because I happen to choose not to go with the general flow of things perhaps? I may leave from time to time, but this is where I plan on dying. If I leave here before that and end up dying else where it will be of my own choosing.

It's a little tough here, but man life has been a little tough for me all my life.

And yeas I was a bit foggy back in '01. But, I'm still a bit foggy. Are you gonna bring your guitar to TD's?

RAT
01-25-2007, 20:42
TOW,
I was just kidding about running you off, chill out dude :) No I am afraid I will not be able to attend Trail Daze this year :( Hope ya`ll have grand time without me.

RAT

bfitz
01-25-2007, 21:38
I am one who has never had a home, until now.We're all lucky indeed to have found such a welcoming whacky family.

TOW
01-26-2007, 10:46
TOW,
I was just kidding about running you off, chill out dude :) No I am afraid I will not be able to attend Trail Daze this year :( Hope ya`ll have grand time without me.

RAT
Oh come on bro? Why not? Dang I would love to see ya!

TOW
01-26-2007, 10:47
We're all lucky indeed to have found such a welcoming whacky family.
Your right, we sure are a whacked out bunch.................

TOW
01-29-2007, 12:35
I made a correction and re edit to the story so as to be correct in what Rat pointed out to me.

RAT
01-29-2007, 21:54
Thanks TOW, sorry i cant make Trail Daze `07, just due to recent life changes would cause me more grief than its worth, I havent missed one for 16 yrs until last yr, so guess one more wont hurt, I will try and get by soon for a visit tho, take care,

RAT

Lone Wolf
01-29-2007, 21:59
Thanks TOW, sorry i cant make Trail Daze `07, just due to recent life changes would cause me more grief than its worth, I havent missed one for 16 yrs until last yr, so guess one more wont hurt, I will try and get by soon for a visit tho, take care,

RAT

i ain't goin' either.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-29-2007, 22:02
::: makes plans to go over to LW's house and drag him out by the paws during Trail Daze :::

Lone Wolf
01-29-2007, 22:07
::: makes plans to go over to LW's house and drag him out by the paws during Trail Daze :::

leavin' town

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-29-2007, 22:19
::: makes plans to come week before Trail Dazes and bite LW on all four paws so he can't leave town :::

Seriously, I will miss you. Will Gypsy be home? I'd love to see her.

RAT
01-29-2007, 22:33
LW, PM or email me where you are going, has to be somewhere cool to miss trail daze for so perhaps we could get together there and have our own daze ?? Just an idea,

RAT

Lone Wolf
01-29-2007, 22:43
LW, PM or email me where you are going, has to be somewhere cool to miss trail daze for so perhaps we could get together there and have our own daze ?? Just an idea,

RAT

don't know yet. nothing special. just tired of trail days. ain't fun no more.

LEGS
01-30-2007, 00:42

COME ON FACE UP TO IT YOU AND RAT ARE JUST GETTIN OLD, YA CANT HANG NO MORE!!! BUT WE WILL MISS YA, I'LL DRINK A COUPLE FOR THE BOTH OF YA!!!!

RAT
01-30-2007, 01:09

The reason it aint fun no more is becaz it aint like it used to be when it was in town and we had hobocentral. Now its out of town in that dang toxic waste dump, has been goin` downhill ever since. Now we dont have hobo camp by the trestle no more so just aint the same. I will miss seein' everyone that I only sees one time a yr. there but due to my own issues I cant be there anyway, so let me know iffen ya think of where ya gonna be at.

Gettin' Old ? Look who`s talkin' Legs !!!!!!!!!

RAT

Lone Wolf
01-30-2007, 07:32
been to 16 of them. enuf is enuf. we'll probably take the harley and hit the parkway for a few days.:)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-30-2007, 07:36
Have a good time LW.

Any idea if the 'quiet camp' on the other side of the river will be ready for the next trail days? The male dino and I may skip this year's trail days as well if it isn't. The non-stop party in the tent city gets old....

Lone Wolf
01-30-2007, 07:40
'quiet camp'?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-30-2007, 08:15
From what I understood, the plan was to put a bridge over the river at the old factory site and open up an area owned by the city on the other side as a quieter camping area. It would be further from the drumming / dancing at the bonfire and hopefully from the pretty-much all night drinking parties that happen at campsites after the dancing around the fire ends. I like a good party as well as the next dino, but older dinos need their beauty rest :D

TOW
01-30-2007, 11:26
COME ON FACE UP TO IT YOU AND RAT ARE JUST GETTIN OLD, YA CANT HANG NO MORE!!! BUT WE WILL MISS YA, I'LL DRINK A COUPLE FOR THE BOTH OF YA!!!!
Not only old, but senile as well..................

Gadog430
01-30-2007, 11:33
I plan to go to TDz for the Friday Night TinDawg BBQ, then hit the trail for Saturday night. Isn't that what it's all about?

Dawg

warren doyle
01-31-2007, 23:32
Please don't associate contra dancing with drumming/partying at the campfire during DTD. The contra dance is held on Saturday night inside the Rock School and most, if not all, of the dancers are moving under the natural high obtained through music, calling and connecting with other happy, relaxed, sober and non-smoking people.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-01-2007, 08:38
My apologies WD, I don't know much about contra dancing and had heard the activities around the fire called that. I edited my original post to omit the reference to contra dancing.

Lone Wolf
02-01-2007, 09:03
My apologies WD, I don't know much about contra dancing and had heard the activities around the fire called that. I edited my original post to omit the reference to contra dancing.

the activity around the fire is called "drunken, trustifarian, drummer wannabe klusterphuk":)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-01-2007, 09:52
::: grins at LW, but won't be adding that description to my post :::

TOW
02-01-2007, 10:23
the activity around the fire is called "drunken, trustifarian, drummer wannabe klusterphuk":)mind if i use that description when i write the story about TD's 2007?:D

StarLyte
02-01-2007, 10:42
No campfire for me EVER again at TDz.

Last Trail Days at the campfire I was hit so hard on top of my head I thought a log fell from the tree. I almost passed out, I saw stars and I was very afraid, I was staggering.....didn't know what had happened to me. Here a drunk guy jumped up on a tree stump and then jumped on top of me hitting me very hard on the head. I was worried about my health for days and had considered going to the hospital. Rev. Phillip from Erwin TN and GaDog was there with me that night. I could barely tell them what had happened to me, I was totally delirious.

I do however, frequent the campground area because I like to talk to thru hikers and the merchants set up there, not to mention many friends. The campground is a lot of fun. But the campfire is full of action. Be prepared. Most everyone has a lot of fun there too, I always have!

Yes, I heard the rowdiness in the campground. It certainly wasn't in the Billville area......it was from some other area. Funny how folks always think that the noise is coming from the Billville camp area.

EVERY year is different.

StarLyte
02-01-2007, 10:42
Gosh, I just realized that this is the Southern Ruck thread. How did that happen?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-01-2007, 11:16
The threads here parallel the AT --- we are making a wide, sweeping curve to go three linear miles again. :D

bfitz
02-01-2007, 14:47
Drunk, nekkid dreddy trustifarian chicks? I'm so there!

Lone Wolf
02-01-2007, 14:49
Drunk, nekkid dreddy trustifarian chicks? I'm so there!

dreddy chicks are seriously nasty

Nean
02-01-2007, 14:53
dreddy chicks are seriously nasty

I think that would depend on where the dreaddies were located!:eek:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-01-2007, 14:53
I had to make one trip to the main restroom at TD during the campfire festivities and the folks I saw dancing nekkid - well, I really wish I hadn't seen them.... I'm way over qualified to be dancing nekkid and realize it....

bfitz
02-01-2007, 15:26
I like hairy hiker-hippy chicks.

D'Artagnan
02-01-2007, 15:32
I like hairy hiker-hippy chicks.

"Earthy Gals" as my mom likes to call them. :D

bfitz
02-01-2007, 15:42
Earth-godesses....until the third day out of town, and then it's just too earthy even for me.

TOW
02-02-2007, 15:34
Gosh, I just realized that this is the Southern Ruck thread. How did that happen?your still delirious, sometimes it just never goes away......................i ought to know, i've been smacked in the head so much that i am plum batty..........

The Weasel
02-02-2007, 16:04
Larry --

A few legal hints on your copyright -

1) Spelling usually doesn't matter, but it's spelled C-O-P-Y-R-I-G-H-T, i.e., it's the "right to copy" that stays with you. I mention the spelling so that you know that these things can be technical if they are ever a question.
2) WhiteBlaze says, I think, that posts here are their property, and that they retain the copyright. I don't think thats a biggie for you, or for WB, but if you have a question about who owns something, write our Admins...they are pretty mellow on things like this.
3) You have a "common law copyright" generally speaking on anything that you say, as you did, "Copyright 2007 Joe Smith" or whatever the owner's name is. You can also use a copyright symbol instead of the word. It's the "Circle C" that is on most wordprocessors and can be copied into programs like this.

All said, it was a very enjoyable thing to read.

The Weasel

ed bell
02-02-2007, 16:33
Why not PM Larry with your suggestions instead of commenting publicly?

bfitz
02-02-2007, 16:34
Same reason none of the rest of us did. Probably.