PDA

View Full Version : Wingfoot's book

mindi
01-22-2007, 13:01
Have those of you who ordered it received it yet?

:) Mindi

mambo_tango
01-22-2007, 13:20
I have to order mine yet...sigh.

EarlyBird2007
01-22-2007, 13:23
Got mine about a week ago.

Have those of you who ordered it received it yet?

:) Mindi

mindi
01-22-2007, 13:28
Hmm, I still haven't received mine (?)

I'm thinking of ordering the ALDHA book too and then deciding which one to take, or ripping out and taking some of each. Do I order the data book or the companion?

mountain squid
01-22-2007, 13:36
Between the data book and the Companion - go with the Companion. The Companion gives you mileage data (shelters, campsites, water sources, roads, etc) as well as what to expect in most towns (restaurants, lodging, grocery stores, library, post office, etc) along the way, including some very convenient town maps.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

EarlyBird2007
01-22-2007, 13:46
Hmm, I still haven't received mine (?)

I'm thinking of ordering the ALDHA book too and then deciding which one to take, or ripping out and taking some of each. Do I order the data book or the companion?

Both are good. You won't go wrong with either. I think Wingfoot's is a little better. It has a few trail crossings, etc. that the ALDHA Companion doesn't have. If $ is an issue, I'd just buy Wingfoot. Also, I think ALDHA may at some point post their journal for free at their website. They did it in 2006. The ATC data book is more of a planning resource. The ALDHA Companion is designed to be taken with you on your hike.

teledaveaustin
01-24-2007, 01:58
Yeah I'm a little awed by the amount of info in the Wingfoots 2007 Thru-hikers. I mailed a money order to Dan (WF) and received my copy in a week.

Jack Tarlin
01-24-2007, 20:02
I got mine within days of ordering it.

Kay
01-24-2007, 22:43
Ordered mine in late December, got it mid-january.

the_iceman
01-24-2007, 22:45
Same as Kay mid to late December order - Mid January receipt - Book is great!!

highway
01-25-2007, 07:45
I copied this from Trail Place site:

1 copy - Thru-hiker's Handbook 2007 ... including S&H $21.98 US

I have not seen it. I have the Companion. Is the WF book really worth the extra Money?

highway
01-25-2007, 07:46
I copied this from Trail Place site:

1 copy - Thru-hiker's Handbook 2007 ... including S&H $21.98 US

I have not seen it. I have the Companion. Is the WF book really worth the extra Money?

Lone Wolf
01-25-2007, 07:48
no it's not. the companion is fine.

highway
01-25-2007, 07:56
Thanks. You saved me $

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-25-2007, 08:28
I have a 2004 WF handbook and a 2006 Companion. I would go with the Companion. WF's book has a lot of good info, but nothing that adds to what is in the Companion. WF's much-discussed biases as to what constitutes good hiking technique and thru-hiking are evident thru-out his book. The Companion allows you to HYOH.

highway
01-25-2007, 08:49
A water proof covering for it would be what?

It is a peculiar size, 4" x 9" and doesn't easily fit a standard sized baggie that I am familiar with. Any suggestions?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-25-2007, 09:13
Take a 1 gallon freezer bag - Slip your companion inside with zipper at top - cut the bag about 1/2" larger than the book - use duct tape to seal the new edges. I carry mine with the zipper down and have never had a leak.

highway
01-25-2007, 09:14
a large baggie works great. Folded over keeps it opened to appropriate page. Problem solved economically

TJ aka Teej
01-25-2007, 11:34
It is certainly nice to be able to have the Wingfoot book as a topic here on WhiteBlaze, isn't it? :D
I might buy a copy this year too, but I'll wait untill it hits the shelves.

Sly
01-25-2007, 11:36
I just got the new format ALDHA Companion! Very nice, and all the profits go to a good cause!

TJ aka Teej
01-25-2007, 11:44
I just got the new format ALDHA Companion! Very nice, and all the profits go to a good cause!

I really like the new & improved book, and am very proud to say I helped a little! Good job, ALDHA!

Skyline
01-25-2007, 11:52
Both books are good, and both are off the press and available. Shipping should be within a few days of ordering either one.

I think each book has some info the other does not have. No surprise as the info is gathered in different ways. There will be inevitable outdated info in either as the info for 2007's guides were actually compiled in mid to late '06. For someone hiking this summer, that means certain info may be almost a year old. As with most things in life, little stays exactly the same forever.

The Data Book is sort of a Cliff's Notes version of either the Handbook or the Companion. Smaller, lighter weight, with the very basics in a running chart format. Many folks use only this, tho I have found it misses a fair number of trail intersections, water sources, etc. Guess that's why it is smaller and lighter! :-)

the_iceman
01-25-2007, 17:02
A huge plus over the data book is Wingfoot's book goes NoBo like me! I find the ATC concept of ignoring the fact that 80% of thru’s are not Sobo pretty annoying. Also the data book does not do cumulative mileage which I count on for ball park planning.

IMHO The ATC books are only good for section hiking but I think their maps are great.

How is the Companion formatted?

Johnny Swank
01-25-2007, 17:29
The ATC knows that hikers flow downhill from Maine, as God himself intended. :)

REBELYELL
01-26-2007, 08:53
Yup Got Mine

Earl Grey
01-27-2007, 12:16
Is this book sold in any stores or just online?

highway
01-27-2007, 13:23
A huge plus over the data book is Wingfoot's book goes NoBo like me! I find the ATC concept of ignoring the fact that 80% of thru’s are not Sobo pretty annoying. Also the data book does not do cumulative mileage which I count on for ball park planning.

IMHO The ATC books are only good for section hiking but I think their maps are great.

How is the Companion formatted?

NOBO, NOBO, starting at Amicalola Falls State Park, mil 0.0-as it should!

Well, to be truthful, once it gets to Springer, the odometer flips back to 0.0 again

McPick
01-28-2007, 18:47
I used WF's book, for my '06 Thru Hike attempt. It was satisfactory. (Kept notes in the middle of the pages.) In fact, I never cared about not having the Companion, or the maps, because someone else always did. We'd sit around a shelter table, or campfire, or on a convenient rock or log... sometimes with our headlamps blazing… sharing, comparing and absorbing information. Great fun… Great camaraderie on the trail. Take your pick and share with others. They certainly will with you.

PS… Sometimes I liked looking at the maps… Other times I simply didn’t want to know about the next up, or WAY UP!