PDA

View Full Version : Knife: Any Recommendations?

Froggy
01-22-2007, 13:30
Previously I've used the Spiderco Delica and the Leatherman Micra. They both weigh 1.75 oz each, and I'd carry both.

Any suggestions for other knives?

Thanks!

mountain squid
01-22-2007, 13:43
I carry a Swiss Army Knife with scissors, tweezers and a can opener (and several other things). Scissors in place of nail clippers. Tweezers for pulling ticks up North. Can opener just in case (and I've used it several times - Ramen gets old)...You might want the blade long enough to spread some p-nut butter, too...

It has its own little pouch attached to my hip belt.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

hopefulhiker
01-22-2007, 13:46
I carried the swiss army knife called the midnight manager, had scissors,led light and ballpoint pen on it..
very useful....

Michele
01-22-2007, 14:35
I got this Swiss Army for Christmas. Only weighs .75 oz and it has a safety whistle built into it! It's perfect for my needs.

http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Product.htm?category=everyday&product=53933&

Vi+
01-22-2007, 17:04
This is a hot button issue.

Half of hikers (I assure you of this without resorting to any actual measurement) carry some model of the Swiss Army Knife, slightly less than half the other hikers prefer almost that number of other different knives.

To me, a knife is necessary when living outdoors, whether for six months or a day. Consider this knife a “woods knife” because that’s where you will be living.

If you want a knife, carry a knife. If you want a manicure set, several models of the Swiss Army Knife do nicely.

At work (not in the woods), I carried a real knife reserved for real work, and a Swiss Army Knife for personal neatness and destructive stuff I didn’t want to waste a real knife destroying.

A “real” folding knife weighs more than a “real” fixed blade knife. A fixed blade knife is more durable, weight being equal, than a folding knife. A fixed blade knife just doesn’t fit in a pocket as neatly as a pocket knife.

Mora is a town in Sweden which is a major knife making area. The knife makers have standardized some models which they make available with your choice of a hard steel blade or a hard steel blade with soft steel laminated over both sides.

The laminated Mora Knife #1 has a 3 7/8" blade, weighs 1.8 oz (2.2 oz with the cheesy plastic sheath), and costs about $14.00. The laminated Mora Knife #2 has a 4 1/4" blade, weighs 2.4 oz (2.9 oz with the sheath), and costs about $15.00 (eBay prices.) Non-laminated blade Mora Knives are cheaper. These knives will fit in a pocket. A “downside” perhaps is, hard steel knife blades are more subject to rusting.

I also carry a pair of small scissors (toenail model, quite tough), a bottle opener, a can opener (P-38), and a metal (oh, horrors) whistle, which, combined, don’t weigh much.

As a frame of reference, the Swiss Army Knife Soldier, a model I like a lot, weighs 2.2 oz.

Personal opinion: Any Mora Knife cuts, and fits in the hand, better than any Swiss Army Knife. (Warning: Swiss Army Knife users love SAK knives.)

hammock engineer
01-23-2007, 00:40
I carry the Lite my fire knife (http://www.lightmyfireusa.com/firesteelknife.html). It is a whisle, knife, and magnessium fire starter in one. All things I was going to carry anyways. The mag along will light stove fuel really easy when needed. This was nice when my lighter stopped working on a cold afternoon dayhike.

I carry fingernail clippers for clipping the fingers.

Bravo
01-23-2007, 00:53
Gerber E-Z Out. I/2 serrated. The old model is hard to find but worth it. Takes a beating and still holds a good edge. I've owned and lost 4 over the past 8 years.

The lady carries the swiss army with the corkscrew.

Heater
01-23-2007, 01:14
Gerber E-Z Out. I/2 serrated. The old model is hard to find but worth it. Takes a beating and still holds a good edge. I've owned and lost 4 over the past 8 years.

Got to have a corkscrew! :)

fonsie
01-23-2007, 04:50
Im going to carry a big ass army ranger knife, its going to be on a hip belt so no pack weight. It's got a pocket in the case I can carry small itams with...I am going to carry a pair of toe nail clippers because I have these thick toe nails that take alot to cut, wich I will carry in my knife case.

the_iceman
01-23-2007, 07:21
In the last 40 years I have carried everything. For my thru it will be a Columbia River 5112C Snap Lock folding knife. It is around 2 ounces and it fits my hand nicely. I like it.

Get a knige you like to carry and use that weighs a resaonble amount. Only a few criteria:

It cuts

It will last

You like it.

TOW
01-23-2007, 11:15
Previously I've used the Spiderco Delica and the Leatherman Micra. They both weigh 1.75 oz each, and I'd carry both.

Any suggestions for other knives?

Thanks!
Get you a Buck Pocket Knife and carry a P-38 for a can opener.............

mrc237
01-23-2007, 11:25
single edge razor---save the weight

Outlaw
01-23-2007, 11:47
Only a few criteria:

It cuts

It will last

You like it.

Froggy, I think Iceman summed it up succinctly above. My only suggestion is to do a little analysis of what sort of things you want the knife to be able to do. In other words, is it going to be used to cut duct tape, slice a bagel, cheese or beef stick, cut rope, spread peanut butter, trim finger & toe nails? Do you (also) want it for survival purposes with a whistle and flint built-in? Do you plan on using it to cut wood for fires? Do you want it to be able to open cans or remove bottle corks? Only you can answer these questions. What needs/wants/desires others may have for their knife may not be the same for you. Think about the type of situations you need or want a knife for and then you can determine which make/model works best for you.

icemanat95
01-23-2007, 12:15
I HATE those mini Swiss Army Knives. They were never intended for doing much more than opening mail and trimming your nails. A gentleman's knife rather than a functional knife.

Thus I carry a Swiss army knife with a large blade a small blade, a functional saw, a functional set of scissors that cut a lot of moleskin, medical tape, etc. on the way, the usual can opener and bottle openers, the phillips head screwdriver and a functional awl. I used all of these tools on my thru-hike and I don't hike without that knife in my first aid pouch.

I may also carry another single blade folder on my person, or a neck knife (hangs around the neck).

The bottom line is that the knife you carry in the back country should be up to some significant use, it shouldn't be some ounce counting weenie's "I hope nothing serious happens" knife. This isn't to say that you should carry a huge bowie knife or Kukhuri either...that's clearly overkill for most situations we here would consider, but a good, full sized multi-tool or Swiss Army knife with functionally sized blades and tools is a darned good choice.

Also, don't cheap out on these tools. Most of the cheaply made Chinese knock offs are cheaply made chinese knock offs. I was given one such this Christmas by one of my nieces. It is completely non-functional in all regards. I decided to sharpen it up to see if I could at least put it in a car emergency kit, but it would not easily take an edge, nor would it hold one once sharpened. Buy either a Wenger or Victorinox Swiss Army Knife or a multi-tool from a major maker such as Leatherman, Gerber, Buck, or SOG. You won't be sorry about the extra ounce or so should you really need a good tool.

The Weasel
01-23-2007, 12:46
Im going to carry a big ass army ranger knife, its going to be on a hip belt so no pack weight.
Yes, a "big ass army ranger knife" on the hip belt won't weigh anything, will it, as long as it's on your hip belt? Dang. You are so lucky...I miss my anti-gravity big ass army ranger knife that didn't weigh anything but maybe I can get one from a hiker box next time I'm on the AT.

The Weasel

The Weasel
01-23-2007, 12:50
I've got a variety of knives, but when I walked from GA to VA, over the course of a couple months, all I carried was one of the mini Swiss knives, with a small blade, scissors, nail file, tweezers (kept) and toothpick (left behind). I never - not once - had something that needs a knife/tool that I missed.

The key isn't to find the best knife: The trick is to identify what you are (1) for sure going to need a knife for (food prep, cord cutting, finger/toe nails) and (2) what you reasonably MIGHT need one for (firewood shavings? whitlling? tracheotomies?). Then just bring what you need and nothing more.

The Weasel

I HATE those mini Swiss Army Knives. They were never intended for doing much more than opening mail and trimming your nails. A gentleman's knife rather than a functional knife.

Thus I carry a Swiss army knife with a large blade a small blade, a functional saw, a functional set of scissors that cut a lot of moleskin, medical tape, etc. on the way, the usual can opener and bottle openers, the phillips head screwdriver and a functional awl. I used all of these tools on my thru-hike and I don't hike without that knife in my first aid pouch.

I may also carry another single blade folder on my person, or a neck knife (hangs around the neck).

The bottom line is that the knife you carry in the back country should be up to some significant use, it shouldn't be some ounce counting weenie's "I hope nothing serious happens" knife. This isn't to say that you should carry a huge bowie knife or Kukhuri either...that's clearly overkill for most situations we here would consider, but a good, full sized multi-tool or Swiss Army knife with functionally sized blades and tools is a darned good choice.

Also, don't cheap out on these tools. Most of the cheaply made Chinese knock offs are cheaply made chinese knock offs. I was given one such this Christmas by one of my nieces. It is completely non-functional in all regards. I decided to sharpen it up to see if I could at least put it in a car emergency kit, but it would not easily take an edge, nor would it hold one once sharpened. Buy either a Wenger or Victorinox Swiss Army Knife or a multi-tool from a major maker such as Leatherman, Gerber, Buck, or SOG. You won't be sorry about the extra ounce or so should you really need a good tool.

fonsie
01-23-2007, 13:10
Hey Weasel, I have taken it out on many treks and I realy don't notice it. Your right I might or might not bring it.

Twofifteen
01-23-2007, 13:25
I carry a swiss army and this beauty from TOPS.
http://www.topsknives.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=114

I can also vouch for the quality and cost effectiveness of Columbia River Knives. I have several.

Mainly, you will need a blade, scissors, a can opener a small saw blade and a hook for a bale. A good SAK will take care of everything you need. I carry the TOPS knife for serious cutting tasks. It's indestructable and will go through a car door (if you should have occasion to do so).

the_iceman
01-23-2007, 13:58
BE A MAN. If it does not reach halfway down your leg it is not a knife.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:CAHRotYsLAsghM:http://www.hayesandassociates.co.nz/Knives/Meula%2520Bowie%25201.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hayesandassociates.co.nz/Knives/Meula%2520Bowie%25201.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.getoutdoors.com/goblog/index.php%3F/categories/30-Hiking&h=454&w=425&sz=5&hl=en&start=6&tbnid=CAHRotYsLAsghM:&tbnh=128&tbnw=120&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbowie%2Bknife%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den% 26lr%3D%26sa%3DG)

the_iceman
01-23-2007, 14:01
Remember Crocodile Dundee? “You call that a knife mate? That’s not a knife, this is a knife.” (presenting his Bowie for inspection & to instill fear)

The Weasel
01-23-2007, 14:17
Hey Weasel, I have taken it out on many treks and I realy don't notice it. Your right I might or might not bring it.
That reminds me of an old trick I teach my Scouts: After a camping/backpacking trip, unload gear into 3 piles: (1) things you used, (2) things you didn't use, and (3) safety items that weren't used that are critical, not just desireable, such as essential first aid kits, alternate fire starter, a few things like that. For next trip, do not bring anything from category 2 unless you are CERTAIN to use it.

The Weasel

Knees
01-23-2007, 15:38
I go for the smallest swiss army knife. If you have need for something larger go for it, but I'd start with this and work up only if you find it lacking.

Positives:
* It's light
* It's cheap to replace
* The scissors are great for nails/gauze/etc
* The blade is fine for basic needs (opening plastic, basic cutting)

Negatives:
* No corkscrew (Ask someone in town to open the bottle then pour it into a 1L bottle)
* No can opener (Carry one along if you want one)
* No bottle opener (use a lighter or buy twist offs)

Misc. Thoughts:
* You're not going to be field dressing things you kill (It's the AT)
* You're not going to be getting into on trail knife fights (I hope)
* You're not going to be cutting things off trees (LNT/etc.)
* You're probably not going to be whittling things

leeki pole
01-23-2007, 16:05
:eek:
Remember Crocodile Dundee? “You call that a knife mate? That’s not a knife, this is a knife.” (presenting his Bowie for inspection & to instill fear)
:eek: :) too funny, and so true....be a man, carry a real blade:D

gtothero
01-24-2007, 13:47
The bigger the greenhorn, the bigger the knife.

The Weasel
01-24-2007, 14:14
Yeah, bring a big honkin' machete to kill all the crocs you find on the trail. And to instill fear in all them other dumb bunny thrus you come upon.

Great idea.

The Weasel

Bravo
01-24-2007, 21:03
You'd be nutz not to carry one of these!!!:D

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/consumer/story/0,,1965050,00.html

SunnyWalker
05-24-2007, 02:13
Bravo: good, hee, hee, ha, ha, ho, ho, ha, ha!!!!! I think when its all said and done just remember YOU are going to have to carry it. It's all about the trail, not your knife. Me, I'll stick to my buck 119 in my dreams, and when on the trail use my little 2 1/2 inch schrade. -SunnyWalker

SunnyWalker
05-24-2007, 02:18
Man, this is the AT, not the middle of the dark jungle in Africa. Wake up, grow up. You're going to going into town every few days. Save some money, just go to Walmart and buy a little knife. Swiss, Schrade, etc., etc., whatever is on sale. Tarzan is in a book and in dreams. -SunnyWalker

BigwaveDave
05-24-2007, 12:46
The Iceman cometh and he speaketh the truth, I carry a Swiss Champ with all the bells and whistles in all its glory. I carry a Bucklite folder w/ a 3.5 in blade and a by God Marine Corps K-Bar. Do I really need all that hardware, you ask, hell no,its stupid and overkill, but I like it. Read the 23 Psalm. Wooo Hooo!

Slosteppin
05-24-2007, 20:03
This is a hot button issue.

Mora is a town in Sweden which is a major knife making area. The knife makers have standardized some models which they make available with your choice of a hard steel blade or a hard steel blade with soft steel laminated over both sides.
***SNIP***
Personal opinion: Any Mora Knife cuts, and fits in the hand, better than any Swiss Army Knife. (Warning: Swiss Army Knife users love SAK knives.)

I have a Mora that I bought about 50 years ago, still with that hard leather case. I cleaned a lot of small game with that knife. I also cut a few nails with it, still has the hammer marks on the back of the blade.
I carried that knife for the first few years of backpacking. Then I realized that the only thing I used it for was to open food packages or to cut cord.
I started carrying a Leatherman Micra. The scissors, tweezers and screw drivers on the Micra are very handy. Last trip, a few weeks ago, I had to cut a 1" sapling for a tent pole that I forgot. Seemed like it took forever with that little blade.
I have to agree, when you need a knife a letter opener won't do.

Slosteppin

SunnyWalker
05-25-2007, 00:08
oh, there you go to meddlin' again. -SunnyWalker

Wise Old Owl
05-25-2007, 01:33
Over the years I had swiss, sea scout, and a wide variety of knifes. The one that accidentally drew some attention was a buck that had a fixed handle when I left the AT trail for a diner. (croc dundee crap) A poor girl with a worried face and two kids about three suddenly told the kids to eat up. And I am a nice guy. I since toned it way down. I found in a antique store in Lancaster a Shrade locking blade in a hard plastic rivited handle at 2.5 ounces with a clip and web connector labled "Napa Parts" Can't loose it and it works and I can clip to the pack belt and it is hidden in my pocket. $20 Why I choose such a knife was the heavy serrated cutting blade.

The other reason is a thought. I can connect the blade with tape or concrete string to the walking stick to make an emergency fishing spear. Try that with a swiss army - toy. Locking blades are becoming very important for wilderness areas.

Smudge
05-25-2007, 04:07

I kick myself daily for losing my EZ out. Absolutly fabulous knife for the price. It survived 4 years abord ship before I lost it. Shipboard life is a hard a test on tools as anything else in the world.

Now I have a Gerber F.A.S.T. Great knife but the EZ out was more durable I think...

Smudge
05-25-2007, 04:17
Got to have a corkscrew! :)

You're not a true wino if you actually need a cork screw!!:D

rusty075
05-25-2007, 04:25
My philosophy is that a hiking knife needs to be able to perform as many jobs as possible that I know I will need to it perform while weighing the least and occupying the smallest amount of space possible. There's no logic in carrying a tool for every job that you might want to do. I might want to clear that blowdown that's blocking the trail, but I have no intention of carrying a chainsaw "just in case". With that in mind, I carry a Swisslite (http://www.swissarmy.com/cgi-bin/MsmGo.exe?grab_id=0&page_id=474&query=53020&hiword=53020%20). In a 0.8oz package I get a blade big enough and sharp enough to everything you're likely to run across on a hiking trip, scissors to trim toenails, cut moleskin and pull out ticks, and a light bright enough for those midnight nature calls. Throw a P-38 onto the keyring and my packs toolbox is full for about an ounce. :)

Mags
05-25-2007, 12:11
I can connect the blade with tape or concrete string to the walking stick to make an emergency fishing spear. Try that with a swiss army - toy. Locking blades are becoming very important for wilderness areas.

Very handy for those spear fishing needs on the Appalachian Trail....

Outlaw
05-25-2007, 20:03
Rusty, with all due respect, have you ever tried cutting a piece of hard salami or summer sausage with that teeny weeny mini micro blade on the Swisslite? :(

And, why carry a P-38, when most canned goods now-a-days come with pull top lids. So, if you don't carry a chainsaw for "just in case" situations, why bother carrying a P-38?:-?

rusty075
05-25-2007, 21:07
Rusty, with all due respect, have you ever tried cutting a piece of hard salami or summer sausage with that teeny weeny mini micro blade on the Swisslite? :(

And, why carry a P-38, when most canned goods now-a-days come with pull top lids. So, if you don't carry a chainsaw for "just in case" situations, why bother carrying a P-38?:-?

Outlaw, with all due respect, have you tried slicing salami with a small, sharp knife? I've using knives that size for years, and have yet to find a meat-tube I can't slice an end off of. :) But of course, if you need to be seen carrying a bigger to knife to make yourself feel more manly, then to each his own. Some of us don't need to compensate as much as others I suppose. :D

And yes, in big supermarkets you can usually find canned foods with pull-tabs nowadays....but you can't always bet on the Mom-and-Pop convenience store having more than the bare minimum of selection. For a tenth of an ounce the P-38 is cheap insurance against going tuna-less.

You can also use it to cut through blow-downs across the trail. You just have to be very, very patient.

SunnyWalker
05-25-2007, 22:22
When there have been times I went "into town" from the trail, and I had my sheath knife on my belt, I removed it and placed in my pack or under my jacket, etc. No problemo. -SunnyWalker

Outlaw
05-26-2007, 09:28
Outlaw, with all due respect, have you tried slicing salami with a small, sharp knife? I've using knives that size for years, and have yet to find a meat-tube I can't slice an end off of. :) But of course, if you need to be seen carrying a bigger to knife to make yourself feel more manly, then to each his own. Some of us don't need to compensate as much as others I suppose. :D

And yes, in big supermarkets you can usually find canned foods with pull-tabs nowadays....but you can't always bet on the Mom-and-Pop convenience store having more than the bare minimum of selection. For a tenth of an ounce the P-38 is cheap insurance against going tuna-less.

You can also use it to cut through blow-downs across the trail. You just have to be very, very patient.

Rusty, I don't need to be seen carrying a big knife, in fact, all I carry in my pocket is a Syderco Delica, which weighs around 1.75 oz, but has a nice blade lock feature, can be easily opened with just one hand, holds a great edge, and fits nicely in my pocket. No "Croc Dundee" knife needed here... 'cause I'm manly enough and smart enough to know better than to flash a big knife around. I don't look to intimidate others with weapons, but I do like to carry a knife that meets my needs and serves a real purpose. Yeah, I compensate for my lack of weaponry with my high IQ, good looks, and wit.:)

You use a P-38 to clear blowdowns? I didn't know blowdowns were made from metal can lids. Me, I just walk around trail obstructions and keeping on going!:cool:

Lyle
05-26-2007, 09:48
In all the years I've been backpacking, the most common (by far) use for a knife has been spreading peanut butter (could do this with a spoon), slicing salami (could just bite off a chunk), and very occasionally cutting some cord when needing to lash a pack or boot back together (could have probably burned it in two with a match or lighter).

I carry a small, cheap knife because I have a tendency to loose them. One could come in handy in survival situations, but I generally plan to stay out of those type of situations. I have planned to be living out in the woods/mountains/dessert so even when I spend unexpected nights out, it is not in "survival" mode.

As in everything, carry what you want. For me small and cheap is more than sufficient.

Smudge
05-27-2007, 01:49
Here's what I've learned in life. Be a little over prepared. Not a lot. But just a little.

Is this more knife than I WILL need on the AT? Probably. Most likely even. But won't you be happy when I show up with the knife that YOU need in an emergency?? Probably.

Carry whatever knife you feel that you will need. But don't critisize me for mine.

Well, actually, go ahead and critisize me for it. It won't stop me from carrying it. :D You neve know, some wild and bizarre day, you might even thank me for having it!! ;)

Marta
05-27-2007, 06:47
Here's what I've learned in life. Be a little over prepared. Not a lot. But just a little.

Is this more knife than I WILL need on the AT? Probably. Most likely even. But won't you be happy when I show up with the knife that YOU need in an emergency?? Probably.

Carry whatever knife you feel that you will need. But don't critisize me for mine.

Well, actually, go ahead and critisize me for it. It won't stop me from carrying it. :D You neve know, some wild and bizarre day, you might even thank me for having it!! ;)

I like your attitude. I'm one of those people other hikers often get stuff from--I've got duct tape, Bandaids, tissues, needle-and-dental-floss, and Spectra cord (good for replacement shoes laces, among other things), can help repair eyeglasses, I've usually got food and fuel and water I can give out, etc.--but I do carry a little, bitty knife.

Marta/Five-Leaf

take-a-knee
05-28-2007, 01:03
I just hastily read through these knife posts. I didn't see one single admonition to stay away from any folding knife that doesn't have a locking blade(s). To all of you swiss-army knife "experts" that still don't know why, after you cut the end of your index finger off attempting to use the knife as an awl you'll know why.

rusty075
05-28-2007, 01:47
I just hastily read through these knife posts. I didn't see one single admonition to stay away from any folding knife that doesn't have a locking blade(s). To all of you swiss-army knife "experts" that still don't know why, after you cut the end of your index finger off attempting to use the knife as an awl you'll know why.

Ok, here's youre admonition: If you don't know what you are doing, a non-lockblade knife can be dangerous if used improperly. If you feel you are not intelligent enough to understand how to use a knife properly, please do not carry one

Happy?

And yes, I realise that was a smart-ass comment. But Take-a-Knee, when you post a smart-ass condesending comment you should expect to get the same in return. This thread is predicated on the assumption that the people posting their recommendations in it have some experience with the knives they are recommending, and that the person who is asking for the advice is of reasonable intelligence to not cut their fingers off, regardless of the knife they decide to carry. So there's really no need to come in here with an insulting and juvenile attitude.

What you could have posted, but chose not to, is: "In my opinion, locking knives are safer than non-locking knives, which have the possibility of closing accidentially when used imporoperly. And I'm surprised that no one else who has posted in this thread has pointed that out" That would have been a useful, and non-insulting, post to make. I'm not sure if you were trying to come across as a prick, but you did. Just trying to be helpful. :D

OldStormcrow
06-01-2007, 14:47
I guess that I am just another typical hiker, since I carry a swiss army knife. I prefer the model called the "hunter" because it has several impliments that I need almost daily, such as a small saw (for cutting hiking sticks or shelter poles), scissors, and a corkscrew. The "hunter" is the only one that has all three of these impliments, but I don't reccomend the camo version.....for obvious reasons! (drop it and it's lost!)

Quoddy
06-06-2007, 19:31
I, also, carry a Spyderco Delica and recently added a pair of folding scissors. Total weight under 3 oz which is less than half of what my Leatherman Juice XE6 weighs. 3.5 ounces less to carry is a great thing, especially since I also didn't use anything except the knife and scissors on the Leatherman.

gumby
06-06-2007, 20:06
Hey how about this one?
http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Product.htm?category=everyday&product=53509&

This will protect you from bears, just throw it at them.:banana

saimyoji
06-07-2007, 10:00
Hey how about this one?
http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Product.htm?category=everyday&product=53509&

This will protect you from bears, just throw it at them.:banana
Among the many features:

Digital clock
Altimeter
Barometer
Alarm
Countdown
Timer
Thermometer
Lifetime warranty

Dances with Mice
06-07-2007, 14:22
Among the many features:

Digital clock
Altimeter
Barometer
Alarm
Countdown
Timer
Thermometer
Lifetime warrantyYou know you're still going to lose the toothpick.

cabbagehead
03-10-2013, 00:50
I never tried this:
http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=3563

WalksInDark
03-10-2013, 11:02
Slightly off thread, but here goes anyway:

Did you happen to notice the number of posters who had lost their knives while out on the trail?
:datzHaving experienced the same thing myself (lost 2 knives in four trips :mad:) I came up with what is a very cost effective solution (for me). I now attach a quick disconnect whistle lanyard (SEE HERE: http://www.gundogsupply.com/gun-dog-supply-printed-lanyard.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&cvsfa=2266&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=47554e2d444f472d535550504c592d5052494e54454 42d4c414e59415244&utm_content=pla&gclid=CLOUlbyz8rUCFYje4AodrR8AHw) with one attachment point going to my belt and/or belt loop, the other end gets attached to my knife.

When I need to use my knife, I just release the disconnect (this leaves a small piece of nylon and the female part of the quick disconnect still attached to the knife) and proceed to cut away.

Best of all, if I go to any of my local military recruitment offices they are happy to give me the lanyards for FREE.

After implementing the lanyard solution, I have not lost a single knife in +5 years and over a hundred outdoor adventures. :clap:clap

Wise Old Owl
03-10-2013, 12:06
Well Cabbagehead that was a walk down memory lane... this thread is 7 years old and most of the posters appear to have left.

as for lost knifes ... it could happen - I still hate swiss.

vamelungeon
03-10-2013, 13:04
And I still love my Swiss Army knives. Mine has a lanyard loop. My suggestion is carry whatever knife you like and find most useful, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks about it.