PDA

View Full Version : fuel for pepsi can stove

skyhiker2
01-22-2007, 15:57
I built my first pepsi can stove and it works great.. I plan on resupplying at gas stations and such for stove fuel. Now I have read that you want to use "heet" products.. which I am familar with however the gas stations which I have been in lately to not carry and heet product. Or any chemical specifically for preventing freezing fuel lines. The product that they do have (this might be it) is a gas treatment made by STP for better fuel milage,carb and injector cleaning, and it does metion to help prevent fuel line freezing. Is this what I want, and have you used it before???????

PS THANK YOU WHITEBLAZE FOR THIS STRAIGHT FORWARD FORUM!!

jlb2012
01-22-2007, 16:11
Without knowing what is in the STP gas treatment it is difficult to say but I suspect that the STP product is not what you want. What you want is either gas line de-icer like yellow bottle HEET or denatured alcohol from a hardware store paint department. Generally around here you can find either at Walmart. If you want to be sure about the STP gas treatment do a search for the MSDS sheet on the product - that sheet should list the contents - look for a high proportion of methanol or ethanol - if so it probably can be used for stove fuel if not then don't use it for stove fuel.

Lone Wolf
01-22-2007, 16:18
STP is made wuth jet fuel.

jlb2012
01-22-2007, 16:21
yep that is what it looks like - jet fuel - see MSDS: http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=5019

BigFoot2002
01-22-2007, 16:39
I saw someone try STP gas additive. It did not work at all.

bull
01-22-2007, 17:03
:) Kerosene

rafe
01-22-2007, 17:06
You want gas-line antifreeze, the stuff that's actually methyl alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol won't work. "Denatured" alcohol will work.

Fiddler
01-22-2007, 17:37
If you use HEET get the yellow bottle. Do not use the red bottle. Different stuff. Or go to a paint store, or a builder supply such as Home Depot or Lowes. Get S-L-X paint thinner, which is denatured alcohol. Just about any denatured will work, S-L-X is as good as it gets and commonly available.

rafe
01-22-2007, 17:55
If you use HEET get the yellow bottle. Do not use the red bottle. Different stuff. Or go to a paint store, or a builder supply such as Home Depot or Lowes. Get S-L-X paint thinner, which is denatured alcohol. Just about any denatured will work, S-L-X is as good as it gets and commonly available.

Be careful though, because most paint thinners are either turpentine or mineral spirits -- neither will work. The only paint thinner that will work is denatured alcohol.

jlb2012
01-22-2007, 18:02
actually I think its called shellac thinner instead of paint thinner

oldfivetango
01-22-2007, 18:30
actually I think its called shellac thinner instead of paint thinner
Yup,thats what my can from Ace Hardware says it is-shellac thinner.
Have any of you guys ever tried Sterno as a backup?
I tried it the other day and was not pleased at all!
Does not pack the wallop that alcohol does but it
could work to heat a littel water for tea maybe to
prevent hypothermia in a pinch if the woods are
too wet for a twig fire-just a thot.
OFT

atraildreamer
01-22-2007, 20:31
Most gas additives for cleaning carbs and fuel injectors are just overpriced kerosene which are no good for a Pepsi can stove.

Go for the Heet in the yellow bottle.

Family Dollar sells a methanol dry gas @ 2 for $1 in the winter months if you want to stock up. It works as well as the Heet Yellow. :-?