PDA

View Full Version : What do you really need as far as maps, guides go?

Earl Grey
01-23-2007, 03:07
You can buy the whole ATC set which has the books and maps for the whole AT but do you really need all that? What are the books that are done by state for? I'll probaly get wingfoots guide but of course thats not a map so ill get maps too but the little books do you need those? Also which maps are the best to get? Mapdana anyone?

RAT
01-23-2007, 03:10
All you need is eyes to see the blazes with and the data book. Maps are optional. That's all I ever used anyways.

RAT

Pokey2006
01-23-2007, 03:44
Depends on how much you like maps. I love looking at maps, and I couldn't have lived without them on the trail.

Just as one option for you, this is what I did: downloaded and printed the free ALDHA guidebook, cut it into a usable guide, using only the pages I'd need, then carried only what I'd need to get me to the next town stop. The rest I'd have mailed to me.

Then, with maps, I bought the first set, getting me to Fontana. Then I just went to the outfitter in each town and picked up only what I'd need to get me to the next outfitter. Figured that way, if I went home early, I wouldn't have wasted any money on maps I'd never use!

Only had a problem once, because the outfitter in the Delaware Water Gap had been flooded out in those awful rains last spring, and hadn't replaced all their stock. They were clean out of NJ/NY trail maps. I ended up tracing someone else's map, and that was good enough to get by.

So you really don't have to carry all those books and stuff with you. You should only have a few pages of a guidebook, and maybe two maps with you.

hammock engineer
01-23-2007, 03:44
Warning, you have just opened one of the biggest cans of worms on WB. Be prepared for the insuing arguements.

I am bring the ATC maps and guidebook for each section on my thru. I do not like to hike anything more than a city park or farmers woods without a map. Well worth it in my eyes.

There are countless arguments (I mean threads) on this. Do some searching.

aaronthebugbuffet
01-23-2007, 04:54
The maps and Wingfoot's book will be all that you need.
Some will say you don't need the maps either, but it would be irresponsible of me to tell anyone else to go hiking without a map.

hopefulhiker
01-23-2007, 07:01
On my thru hike, I took sheets out of Wingfoot's book, sheets of the companion downloaded off the internet, maps( five years old) for that section, and the Mapdana for that part that I was hiking.

The maps being out of date did not present a problem for me.. later in the trip I cut some of them up and just took the profiles.. A lot of people dump the maps in hiker boxes to save weight.. Southbounders might be able to pick them up.

I found that I leaned on Wing foot's book the most, then the maps, then the companion and finally the mapdana. I think it is really important to take some kind of reference or two.. I would also take some kind of compass.

the_iceman
01-23-2007, 07:42
The map (and book) set for the next year is usually discounted in December for ATC members. It is a BIG savings. It seemed to me the books were almost "free" by buying the set at a discount rather then just the maps. I am reading the books in planning and then leaving them with my wife.

I will take Wingfoot's book and mail drop the maps as I go. The book is good for info but the maps show the trail profile which to me is darn handing when you are thinking of pulling a 20 or need to get to town ASAP.

LIhikers
01-23-2007, 09:22
A map is kind of like a first aid kit. You might get by without ever using it, but it sure would be good to have when the need arises. The problem is that, like that first aid kit, there's no way to predict when you might need it or how badly you might need it. What Pokey 2006 did sounds pretty reasonable.

The state by state guide books contain a lot of local information on things like history, geology, and turn by turn description of the trail. All very interesting but not probably something you'd want to carry on a thru or long section hike. My wife loves maps, reads them like other people read a good book, and often carries the state book for where ever we are hiking. But we've never been out for more than 2 weeks at a time.

PJ 2005
01-23-2007, 09:25
just wingfoot. if you're itching to see a map, there will be people around with them.

icemanat95
01-23-2007, 09:44
Bring the maps.

Sure, when all is going well, you don't really need them, but that's the rub. When things start going seriously sideways, you DO need them and you need them RIGHT NOW.

I found the maps very valuable for planning my day, especially in the hot months when afternoon thunderstorms are an issue. I could try to plan my efforts to put me below the summits when the storms rolled in....two close calls with lightning had made me a bit gun shy. A subsequent run in with lightning has just confirmed that opinion.

Also. On most other trail systems out there a solid grounding in map reading is very helpful. Using the AT as a day-to-day training ground for your map reading skills is a great thing. The White Mountain trail system is complex BTW. The AT is marked, but the trail names on the signs change frequently as the AT was largely routed across the pre-existing trail system. With the maps, your chances of getting mis-routed in bad weather (and good) go down dramatically. Many of the people I encountered who had trouble following the trail in the Whites and complained about trail markings, did not have maps and were at the mercy of the trail markings.

rafe
01-23-2007, 09:49
Bring the maps.

Sure, when all is going well, you don't really need them, but that's the rub. When things start going seriously sideways, you DO need them and you need them RIGHT NOW.

Well put. I like having them. I did one short section without. No problem. Lucky. But given a choice, I want maps.

TinAbbey
01-23-2007, 10:22
i just used wingfoot, but sometimes it was nice to know what the day was gonna be like as far as elevation change though. and i got that info from a partner with the maps

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2007, 10:32
Well put. I like having them. I did one short section without. No problem. Lucky. But given a choice, I want maps.

Ditto. With a map and a compass(even just a small keychain or watch type) you can reckon your location, get to lower elevation, escape dangerous weather, find a water source, find a road, etc. Civilization = medical assistance.

mike!
01-23-2007, 16:36
I'm personally going with the mapdana's and wingfoots. figure the mapdana's have somewhat of a map, with data from the companion/data book, then the wingfoot guide for more detail. personally, i dont like elevation profiles, because i end up dreading the climbs and decents before i actually start hiking them. granted, i dont have the saftey aspect of seeing the small forest roads etc to saftey, but hiking the AT is an adventure after all eh?
mike!
P.S. dont tell my eagle scout father im going without topo map+compass

Marta
01-23-2007, 17:15
just wingfoot. if you're itching to see a map, there will be people around with them.

I carried maps and it was interesting how often mapless hikers wanted to look at them.

Earl Grey
01-28-2007, 19:42
https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=190&compid=1

Im about to buy this. Thoughts?

Blissful
01-28-2007, 19:54
Buy them. I look at them even now, planning routes, seeing elevation changes, noting where I might want to camp if I want solitude. Not having maps to me when in the wilderness is irresponsible. Sure some might say sarcastically - follow the white blazes - But after having our son lost once and us unable to follow the trail in Northern VA due to poor blazing, that teaches you otherwise. Plenty of other ways to save money, IMO. You can also do what we did. Look around, wait and hikers ending their hikes will sell maps. Or get some at discount at various places (for instance I saw the CT/MA map set with guidebook discounted 75% at our outdoor shop.) We have been picking up maps for the AT for a year or two now so we have the whole set - from ATC versions to National Geographic to AMC maps for the WHites.

saimyoji
01-28-2007, 20:24
I usually hike alone, barring meeting anyone on the trail that day. So, I take my map. For all the reasons stated so far, and for all the reasons Jack will point out (and has done so repeatedly here on WB, thanks Jack :) ) taking your own set is the best idea.

saimyoji
01-28-2007, 20:26
I usually hike alone, barring meeting anyone on the trail that day. So, I take my map. For all the reasons stated so far, and for all the reasons Jack will point out (and has done so repeatedly here on WB, thanks Jack :) ) taking your own set is the best idea.

Of course I should have said: "...best idea for me." You may decide otherwise. ;)

Lone Wolf
01-28-2007, 20:28
it's extremely stupid to hike without maps. especially for first timers on the AT.

Jack Tarlin
01-28-2007, 20:29
That was actually pretty funny!

Blackmath, if you do a bit of a Search, you'll find that the map question has been discussed quite a bit here at Whiteblaze.

Personally, I think everyone should own and carry the maps, there's no good reason not to.

Most folks these days use a combination of the Maps with a current Thru-Hikers Handbook or Thru-Hikers Companion. This should do you fine.

Earl Grey
01-28-2007, 20:43
What about Mapdana's instead of the maps?

Lone Wolf
01-28-2007, 20:46
uesless in an emergency

Earl Grey
01-28-2007, 21:47
There recently was a sale- all the maps for the entire trail for like $170 or so..but it ended 12/22..so.

That was for the 2006 stuff though im sure.

As far as an emergency goes how would having the real map versus a mapdana be more helpful? Im just wondering, trying to think of scenarios.

saimyoji
01-28-2007, 22:30
A "real map" will have topolines, elevation profiles, accurate compass headings and detailed road crossings with distance to nearest towns, all things that may help keep you alive.

WalkinHome
01-29-2007, 12:47
The majority of your maps will be the current ones regardless of the year bought. Here in Maine the maps/guidebooks are updated ever so slightly every 6-8 years depending on inventory.

Peaks
01-29-2007, 18:03
That was for the 2006 stuff though im sure.

As far as an emergency goes how would having the real map versus a mapdana be more helpful? Im just wondering, trying to think of scenarios.

There's a lot more detail on the maps.

the_iceman
01-29-2007, 19:16
There recently was a sale- all the maps for the entire trail for like $170 or so..but it ended 12/22..so.

Yeah, I bought them. Today there are only $165.65 for members. Boy that was a great deal.

REBELYELL
02-05-2007, 07:56
I had free tourist info from each of the thirteen states sent to me, and they all sent me the free state maps.They all have the AT clearly marked.Combined with a Thru Hikers Handbook I feel I'll only be lost about half the time now.Plus I got fire starter for Hypothermia prevention

Webs
02-05-2007, 10:32
.. later in the trip I cut some of them up and just took the profiles.. A lot of people dump the maps in hiker boxes to save weight..

Profile maps from the ATC map set are the only things we needed. They have most water sources, road crossings, and most importantly, the answer to teh eternal question: "How much longer is this stinkin' hill??" :)

Sly
02-05-2007, 10:39
You're pretty much assured you'll be ascending and descending everyday. While the profile maps are good at showing that, the Companion also includes that info.

onicoe
02-05-2007, 23:21
i'm taking the full set of maps with me. it's an extra 5 lbs of weight but it's worth my own piece of mind. i'm mailing them home as i use them up.

Peaks
02-06-2007, 09:25
i'm taking the full set of maps with me. it's an extra 5 lbs of weight but it's worth my own piece of mind. i'm mailing them home as i use them up.

No need to start out with 5 pounds of maps. Have them mailed to you periodically, or put the excess in a bounce box.

Blissful
02-06-2007, 10:22
No need to start out with 5 pounds of maps. Have them mailed to you periodically, or put the excess in a bounce box.

Definitely. That's what I'm doing - deciding which mail drop the map goes in to. I put sticky labels on the maps so they go in the right boxes. Don't carry five extra lbs!

saimyoji
02-06-2007, 10:37
What some do is to photocopy the essential parts of maps, condense, reduce, laminate. That way you are carrying waterproof maps, but they are smaller, contain only the info you want and are much lighter. Still, no need to carry them all from the start.

DavidNH
02-06-2007, 10:45
I just used the thru hiker's handbook. It has the data with all the milages and also info on all town services.

Maps can be nice, fun and interesting. But the trail is so well marked and laid out I don't think they are essential to keep from getting lost. Even if you go wrong or go the wrong way for a time...eventually things will not look right. Then you re trace your steps.

Short of hiking above treeline in white out conditions..how can one get lost on the AT?? I can see accidentally going the wrong way for a time (happened to me once) but you have to really not be paying attention to not notice this for more than a mile or so.

DavidNH

rafe
02-06-2007, 13:10
I can see accidentally going the wrong way for a time (happened to me once) but you have to really not be paying attention to not notice this for more than a mile or so.

It's when you've lost the trail that the maps come in handy. Blazing isn't terribly consistent. Maps are also handy for indicating alternative routes, blue blazes, etc. Most days you don't "need" a map, that's true. Most days you don't need your first aid kit, either.

superman
02-06-2007, 15:58
I agree DavidNH. What I wanted to know was where the water was and the re-supply. I could see the blazes. I missed the blaze just starting down Blood Mtn. I did a little back track and didn't miss another turn all the way. I mostly used the data book and some of the handbook. I was given the Maine maps and didn't use them...didn't need to

whykickamoocow
02-16-2007, 21:53
What is the difference between wingfoots and the thru hikers companion? If you have the companion does that mean you dont need to bother getting the data book.

whykickamoocow
02-16-2007, 21:58
Basically im a bit confused.

People talk about the

thru hikers guidebook
thru hikers companion
wingfoots
thru hikers handbook
data books, etc etc etc

which book is what?

I see on the ATC site that there is the thru hikers companion, is that the best one to get and is that the one everyone is referring to.

Lyle
02-18-2007, 23:01
Thru Hiker's Companion - Edited by ALDAH, published and sold by ATC (my personal preference)

Thru Hikers Handbook - Edited, published and sold by Wingfoot on Trailplace.com

Data Book - Edited, published and sold by ATC, less information in a more concise book, original of this type of condensed guide (often carried along with either of the above, but contains much of the same info)

prozac
02-19-2007, 00:52
All things being equal, I prefer the Companion just because it financially benefits the trail and not an individual.
As for maps, you can hike the entire trail and never use them. But they have saved my ass numerous times. Not from injury or death, but from added miles due to my head being up my ass while hiking and missing a turn. I still only carry the map for the section I'm in and bounce the rest up the trail.

whykickamoocow
02-28-2007, 07:41
Thanks Lyle you have cleared things up for me perfectly