PDA

View Full Version : Baxter camping $18 pp

jkashley1234
01-23-2007, 11:08
I'll be getting to Baxter on May 29th and starting on the 1st, but just trying to find someone who will be there the same time to cut cost. The sites are $9pp but you have to have at least 2 people, otherwise its $18 pp. I'm not a cheap person, but if I can cute cost I'd like to. So if you'd like to go in together and share the reservations let me know...Later....aka Angel...

Shutterbug
01-23-2007, 12:38
I'll be getting to Baxter on May 29th and starting on the 1st, but just trying to find someone who will be there the same time to cut cost. The sites are $9pp but you have to have at least 2 people, otherwise its $18 pp. I'm not a cheap person, but if I can cute cost I'd like to. So if you'd like to go in together and share the reservations let me know...Later....aka Angel...

I made reservations in Baxter State park the last week in May, 2005 with the expectation of climbing Mt. Katahdin. They didn't open the Hunt Trail (the AT) until the middle of June. In 2005, WhiteCap Mountain also had snow in the last week in May. I don't know about this year. Does it look like you will be safe to start SB on June 1?

jkashley1234
01-23-2007, 13:02
I HOPE to start on the 1st...I've read all the info, but with this Global Warming maybe I'll be able to start on that date...I know I've read alot on whether to wait or not, but I'll take my chance...

TJ aka Teej
01-23-2007, 14:06
There's a spot about thirty yards long, just up past the cave where the AT edges the ravine, that remains in shadow until late May. If that bit's clear, and there's no snow covering the Trail on the Tableland, the AT/Hunt Trail usually opens by Memorial Day weekend. You can count on the Abol Slide Trail opening a week or so before that.
Check out the WB Southbounder's forum, Angel - you're going to have company at KSC! And for what it's worth, I suggest spending two nights at KSC, before and after your climb. Are you taking the bus? It gets into Medway (about 30 miles from the Park) at 7:30ish at night.