PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else having dreams about their upcoming hike?

mambo_tango
01-24-2007, 00:25
I really am starting to get Springer Fever: I keep having dreams about the trail. My first dream was me finishing at Katahdin and my second dream was me starting up the approach trail. I guess I am getting ahead of myself already :D . Dreams are as close as I can get to it until I leave I guess.

emerald
01-24-2007, 01:37
My 1st night out, March 31, mambo tango, I fell asleep and dreamed I was warm and comfortable in my bed at home. When I woke up, I wasn't there at all, but in north Georgia and it was cold in them thar hills!:D

Buckingham
01-24-2007, 01:41
I dream about hiking every night that I am not hiking.:D

fonsie
01-24-2007, 08:20
Im so stoked for my thru hike that I have a dream every night about me getting on the train and heading to GA, also hiking and camping out there.

Footslogger
01-24-2007, 09:32
Shoot ...I finished my AT thru over 3 years ago and still have vivid technicolor dreams about it. Not only that ...my wife and I are hiking a section of the AT in Maine this coming August and I'm chomping at the bit.

Further off, but no less a part of my regular dreams is my PCT thru in the future.

'Slogger

the_iceman
01-24-2007, 09:48
All dreams are trail related -- when I do finally sleep. Does day-dreaming count?

I am practically useless in all other matters waiting to hike. I cannot focus. I had to delay until early April to take care of some medical issues because I waited too long to make appointments which makes things even worse.

An extra month of going out of my mind while the people that I should be hiking with are getting started.

I have 2 screens on my computer and one always has something to do with my hike on it. I have stopped reading everything but the hand book and trail guides. I used to read a book a week. I stopped folding the maps so I would not wear them out. I just keep them stacked open and flat for quick reference.

I might wear out my hiking socks and boots before I hike.

I look at the weight when I am buying groceries.

Footslogger
01-24-2007, 09:52
[quote=icemanboston;308706] Does day-dreaming count?

ABSOFRIGGINLUTELY !!

'Slogger

Michele
01-24-2007, 10:28
I had a dream Monday night that I was sitting under my hammock tarp w/a friend. We were set up next to this huge river. I had my down underquilt and down overquilt (for my hammock) laying across a big dead tree right next to the river (why? have no clue...) It started pouring down rain and I yelled at my friend to go grab my down gear. He was suddenly gone and I was paralyzed and all I could do was sit there and watch my down gear get soaked! Sort of a nightmare I guess....

emerald
01-24-2007, 12:19
Sort of a nightmare I guess....

No, no! These things happen for a reason. Long ago, when I was Scout, our adult leaders would say, "Be prepared!" The proper and expected response was "We are prepared!";)

mindi
01-24-2007, 12:44
Oh yeah, I have been dreaming about the trail constantly. Usually every dream is a comedy of errors, which I suspect is just a foreshadowing of things to come.

;) Mindi

mambo_tango
01-24-2007, 12:52
Usually every dream is a comedy of errors, which I suspect is just a foreshadowing of things to come.

;) Mindi

Yeah... I had another one a couple of months ago where I had nothing I needed in my pack but a bunch of useless HEAVY stuff. Like 3 pairs of shoes.

Spirit Walker
01-24-2007, 13:27
I frequently have hiking dreams, especially about prospective long hikes. What is funny is when I get on the trail and discover how little reality resembles my dreams about the trail. i.e. I dreamed I was hiking on the PCT in southern California. In my dream I was walking through miles and miles of huge pine trees. Turns out the trail in southern California is all desert scrub brush. Oh well.

I have a place I dream about occasionally that I would love to see in reality. It is one of those ideal backpacking places, where you take off from your back door and are instantly in total wilderness. In my dreams, I backpack there for miles and miles, surrounded by beauty and solitude. I wish I knew where that place is. Definitely not out my back door though.

maxNcathy
01-29-2007, 15:00
Dreams?? Yep,lots of daydreams only. I don't like to hike at night. hahaha
Sandalwood

RadioFreq
01-30-2007, 13:21
I had my first AT dream just the other night. I dreamt I was beginning my climb of Mt. Katahdin. I was with two other people...an unfamiliar female and Rodney Dangerfield...I kid you not. All I can remember is that as we were beginning our ascent we were arguing about hiking poles. Now before any of you amateur psychologists out there start to do some "dream analysis" on me I should point out that when I woke up I discovered I had fallen asleep with the TV on. It was tuned to Comedy Central and they were running "Back to School". :D

Pacific Tortuga
01-30-2007, 15:04
A lot of dreams right now but what is keeping me awake at night are, butterflies ? :-? I have not had them since I played ball and we had a big game the next day. It always ended up as a positive gut feeling and thats what I'm a hopein' here. Game On ! :D

bfitz
01-30-2007, 15:12
Keep track of these dreams and see if any come true!

Blissful
01-30-2007, 21:31
A lot of dreams right now but what is keeping me awake at night are, butterflies

Yep, same with me. Mostly - what am I DOING one month from now??? Am I crazy? ha ha

Hasty
01-30-2007, 22:56
I usually can't get to sleep at all if I've got the trail on my mind.

But geez, I daydream about it alllllll the time. It was all I could do to pay attention at all last semester during Calculus while the trail was on my mind.
Oh, and I'll be retaking Calc next semested because of this. :)