PDA

View Full Version : how do YOU measure size?

copythat
01-24-2007, 02:09
pack size, that is.

ok, say i'm shopping for a pack in the 3,600-3,800 range (for example). i scour the 'net and ... i get confused.

according to the manufacturers' websites, the gg vapor trail (3,600) or nimbus ozone (3,800) and the ula circuit (3,700) meet my needs, and the six moons starlite (4,100) is too big.

but the circuit includes 750 ci of mesh pockets, so its INSIDE capacity (main and collar) is 2,950 (too small?). and the six moons starlite (rated at 4,100 overall) is 3,500 (close to my range).

i understand there are needs for mesh pockets (wet tarps and all). and PLEASE believe i'm not dissing ula or six moons. but if i know what i have to pack, what numbers do i use to find the one that will work for me?

in other words, do these measurements actually work as comparisons? what am i missing?

thanks.

hammock engineer
01-24-2007, 02:35
Not to confuse you anymore, but I think the VT includes the extension coller. IMO it makes the pack too top heavy when you overload that part of it.

n2o2diver
01-24-2007, 02:44
I have heard it is best to take all your stuff to the store, pick out the packs you like, then stuff your gear into it. See if it fits in and try it on. Eliminates a lot of unknowns. Sounded like sound advice and worked great for me.

Fiddler
01-24-2007, 13:03
I have heard it is best to take all your stuff to the store, pick out the packs you like, then stuff your gear into it. See if it fits in and try it on. Eliminates a lot of unknowns. Sounded like sound advice and worked great for me.
Very good advice. That is, if there is a supplier near enough that will let you do that. (Some will, some won't.) Also, even more important (I think) this lets you see how the loaded pack feels on your back. Walk around the store 15 or 20 minutes and see if it feels right. If you must order by catalog or internet just be sure the supplier has a good return policy if the pack doesn't feel right once you have it loaded and on your back. A hundred miles down the trail is the wrong place to find out you have the wrong pack.

highway
01-24-2007, 14:02
I don't think (accurate) size is important to pack manufacturers, in that they used to overstate the capacity of each somewhat.

I once, in trying to determine the correct size for my purposes, measured some pack's dimensions by gently stuffing the capacity of each with the little shipping Styrofoam peanuts then pouring the peanuts out into a cardboard box and then measuring the box dimensions to the top of the peanuts to get the cubic feet of the pack. All but one of the four , five or so packs I measured were overstated. One was a Dana Terraplane X, one was a Mountainsmith something or other and another couple loaned by my neighborhood small outfitter. The Mchale was accurate. That was strange. I dont know if it is still he case now. I still have the box and all those styrofoam peanuts, too

GlazeDog
01-27-2007, 01:28
Not to be disagreeabe--oh what the hell. Taking your stuff to the store is not good advice if you're shopping for lightweight packs that don't exist in the store in your area. For instance I can't drive past an outfitter without my car mysteriously going into the parking lot. Hmmm?? I've yet to find any Siz Moons Designs packs in any of the Ohio stores I've frequented. Thus I can't compare. Also, no ULA packs around here. So you're stuck getting what the somewhat not-quick-to-change outfitters have. The Outfitters in Ohio are slow to change to Ultralight. Maybe you'll be luckier in Connecticut.
Additionally--why not use the mesh pockets? Rethink how you pack your pack.

happy trails---
GlazeDog

greentick
01-27-2007, 05:05
I think ULA will send you a loaner to try out.

tdilf
01-27-2007, 10:33
got any friends with a pack the size you are looking at? Or go to a store and look at similar sized packs even if it isn't the pack you want - just get an idea of capacity. Don't worry about mesh pockets and such - a well designed pack will turn into exactly what you need when you figure out how to pack it correctly (this is why packs like ULA's are so good because all the figuring out is done for you).