PDA

View Full Version : Pack For Girlfriend

stuco
01-24-2007, 21:00
My girlfriend needs a pack. She is 5' 2 and 135lbs. She also has mild scoliosis(spelling). So I'm thinking something with a good waist belt and supportive. Also, the lighter the better (duh) something under 3 1/2 pounds at the very top. Oh, it needs to be able to hold enough food for 4 or so days hiking.

If anyone has some ideas they would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

jamarshall
01-24-2007, 21:32
I'm about her size and have been carrying a Gregory G Pack for the last couple of years. Happy with it so far.

I have to resupply on food every 4-5 days.

-Dogpaw

stuco
01-24-2007, 21:42
I'm about her size and have been carrying a Gregory G Pack for the last couple of years. Happy with it so far.

I have to resupply on food every 4-5 days.

-Dogpaw

I can't tell, does it have a waistband? I think it important for her back's sake. Thanks

peanuts
01-24-2007, 21:45
stucco, since you live in ga, why not drive to mountain crossing outfiter and have her try on packs there. winton, cornbread will hook her up with the correct pack!

stuco
01-24-2007, 21:54
stucco, since you live in ga, why not drive to mountain crossing outfiter and have her try on packs there. winton, cornbread will hook her up with the correct pack!

Well, we actually live in Alabama right now, and I don't know where this place is.

peanuts
01-24-2007, 22:00
mountain crossings is at neels gap. right on the trail...

stuco
01-24-2007, 22:11
We're gonna hit some more local outfitters, I just wanted to get some good ideas with this thread. The internet is very good for comparing specs, endless selection etc. Any more suggestions?

bigcranky
01-24-2007, 22:34
Gregory G pack, Gregory Jade 50 pack, Granite Gear Vapor Ki, Osprey Ariel 55 or 65, the new Golite Quest or Speed, Six Moons Designs Comet, ULA Conduit, various Kelty women's models. All good, all different.

Does she have backpacking experience? Are you buying this as a surprise? (Bad idea.) Dragonfly tried on what seemed like hundreds of packs before she finally settled on the Ariel 55 - and we had to drive to freaking Colorado to buy it, because none of our local outfitters would carry it ("55 liters is too small for backpacking.") Ok, we were in Colorado anyway, but it makes a better story the other way. The point is that she'll need to try on a lot of packs, and take her time with them. Even without a medical condition, choosing a pack takes a fair amount of time and effort.

Good luck. If you can get to a good hiking outfitter, so much the better. The trip to Neel Gap in North Georgia would be worthwhile.

stuco
01-24-2007, 22:46
No she doesn't have any experience, no it's not a surprise. Thanks for the suggestions

rswanson
01-25-2007, 12:35
As she has scoliosis I would believe that the weight she's carrying is going to be a larger factor for her than even dedicated ultralighters. Try to keep everything to a minimum. Since she's a rookie, I'd keep the cost down in case she isn't sold on backpacking...

Sierra Trading Post has a few quality Mountainsmith women's packs for sale on the cheap. My wife uses a similar pack from the same line and loves it. It has proven very supportive and durable, great for loads up to about 30 lbs. Either of the following should work for 4 day trips. These packs were very highly regarded a few years back and I have no idea why they were discontinued.

This one (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/311,85663_Mountainsmith-04-Seraph-Backpack-For-Women.html)is a panel loader, 2 lbs. A few years back, the men's version of this pack was all over the AT. If she's not carrying bulky gear and staying under 25 lbs. total pack weight then it should be plenty big.

This one (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/311,85658_Mountainsmith-04-Mountainlight-Chimera-Backpack-For-Women.html) is a standard top-loader, 3.5 lbs and larger capacity. She may not need all of the volume but if her gear is bulkier (lots of clothing, etc) then this may work better.

STP is a great retailer to deal with, and have a no-questions type of return policy. I really can't say enough good things about the Mountainsmith Mountainlight packs, too.

stuco
01-25-2007, 12:43
Yes, I was looking at that mountainsmith and all of the rave reviews but noticed it had been discontinued. Seems like a great pack.(from the descriptions/reviews)

SteveJ
01-25-2007, 12:46
<clip>I really can't say enough good things about the Mountainsmith Mountainlight packs, too.

I'll second the MS Seraph. I just bought this for my 11 y.o. son, who's now taken it on 2 trips. 2 weekends ago, we hiked up ~2500 ft, 7 miles - he was smiling and whistling all the way up the mtn. I assume you'll also focus on lightweight gear for her because of the scoliosis. This is a great pack for light loads. Not sure how durable it'll be - but for $56, who cares? It should last him at least a year or two.....

rswanson
01-25-2007, 12:47
My only guess as to why they were discontinued: Mountainsmith needed a new product line to convince every Mountainsmith pack owner they needed a new pack. Personally, I can't see anything that needs to be changed on my wife's.

rswanson
01-25-2007, 12:50
I'll second the MS Seraph.....Not sure how durable it'll be - but for $56, who cares? It should last him at least a year or two.....
I've no doubt these packs are durable enough for an entire thru-hike and then some. Not overbuilt, but very tough nonetheless. And if you buy from STP, they'll take it back, even thrashed, if you feel it didn't meet expectations.

panama snail
01-25-2007, 12:50
need more imformation on tarptents

rswanson
01-25-2007, 13:00
need more imformation on tarptents
Is this your first time on the Internets?

copythat
01-26-2007, 14:38
the new Golite Quest or Speed ...

is the new speed much different than the old one? i went out for four days with the old one this winter (22.6 pounds, including food and water and the solo tent i took) and was mis-er-a-ble. i kept wishing i had my eiger 36. that puppy carries. (it's just not as big as i needed.)

Nameless
01-26-2007, 17:39
I have had two surgeries for my scoliosis, so I watch my back closely. I had an S curve that was corrected from 55 degrees to 33 degrees. My 1-12 T were fused. I was braced for about 2 years before having surgery my freshman year in highschool. I had a second surgery a year later to remove the rods and screws because they were really bothering me. I included this to give you an idea where I am coming from.

I did a few backpacking trips before my bracing and surgery years, and they proved to be painful on my back. It is harder to backpack with a back that already has problems. My bigest piece of advice that I wished I had learned earlier is to keep a VERY light pack weight. When I orriginally started backpacking I never carried more than 35 lbs, but on my 100 lbs frame (5'1" tall) that was way to much for my back. I now have a 9lbs base weight, and even with food and water for 4-5 days I never carry more than 21 lbs max. Work on getting lightweight first and formost, it will make the trips possible. My back used to always kill me at the end of a backpacking day, but now I dont even think about it most nights.

I would highly recomend the Gearskin. It is a slightly larger investment ($215 for pack, shipping, and back gear pocket) but i could be the make or break point for her hiking. If she hikes with heavier gear at first she could come to associate backpacking with back pain (its slightly amazing that I didnt) and miss out on all the oppertunities that backpacking provides. I personally really like the gearskin because it has a FULL hip belt and supportive sholder straps which is lacking in a lot of packs in the weight range. Support is a huge issue, you do not want even the lighter pack weight to be supported by her sholders. I have found that I have no problems packing my gearskin so that it rests fully on my hips.

Hope this helps
Pink

bigcranky
01-26-2007, 18:04
is the new speed much different than the old one? i went out for four days with the old one this winter (22.6 pounds, including food and water and the solo tent i took) and was mis-er-a-ble. i kept wishing i had my eiger 36. that puppy carries. (it's just not as big as i needed.)

Actually, I think the new one is called the Lite-Speed, and it has a framesheet and stay. My bad. Should be good to 25-30 pounds.

--Ken

stuco
01-26-2007, 21:35
I have had two surgeries for my scoliosis, so I watch my back closely. I had an S curve that was corrected from 55 degrees to 33 degrees. My 1-12 T were fused. I was braced for about 2 years before having surgery my freshman year in highschool. I had a second surgery a year later to remove the rods and screws because they were really bothering me. I included this to give you an idea where I am coming from.

I did a few backpacking trips before my bracing and surgery years, and they proved to be painful on my back. It is harder to backpack with a back that already has problems. My bigest piece of advice that I wished I had learned earlier is to keep a VERY light pack weight. When I orriginally started backpacking I never carried more than 35 lbs, but on my 100 lbs frame (5'1" tall) that was way to much for my back. I now have a 9lbs base weight, and even with food and water for 4-5 days I never carry more than 21 lbs max. Work on getting lightweight first and formost, it will make the trips possible. My back used to always kill me at the end of a backpacking day, but now I dont even think about it most nights.

I would highly recomend the Gearskin. It is a slightly larger investment ($215 for pack, shipping, and back gear pocket) but i could be the make or break point for her hiking. If she hikes with heavier gear at first she could come to associate backpacking with back pain (its slightly amazing that I didnt) and miss out on all the oppertunities that backpacking provides. I personally really like the gearskin because it has a FULL hip belt and supportive sholder straps which is lacking in a lot of packs in the weight range. Support is a huge issue, you do not want even the lighter pack weight to be supported by her sholders. I have found that I have no problems packing my gearskin so that it rests fully on my hips.

Hope this helps
Pink

Pink, Thanks a lot for you advice. I'm not sure how severe her scoliosis is. I know she's never had surgery for it. She says it has something to do with her hips being uneven. Even though, I think you are right, She needs something that the hips can support a lot of weight with. I am stumped between something with a good waist/strap frame system with a super ultralight like you are suggesting. I think a compromise between the two would be perfect.