PDA

View Full Version : Another money thread...

Grandma Dixie
01-25-2007, 00:18
Do you guys think that $2000 will be enough for a thru this year? (maybe a few hundred more, but definitely no less than 2k) I already have all the gear, so that doesnt need to be figured into the equation.

Fannypack
01-25-2007, 00:22
Do you guys think that $2000 will be enough for a thru this year? (maybe a few hundred more, but definitely no less than 2k) I already have all the gear, so that doesnt need to be figured into the equation.
I think this thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20459 answers your question.....

hammock engineer
01-25-2007, 00:27
If it helps I am going to budget $100 a week. That takes me to $2600 for 6 months. I have close to $5K saved up. The rest is going to be for emgergencies, gear replacement, and money to live on when I get back.

Set a weekly budget and stick to it. It is much easier to keep track of $100 or so for a week, then $2K+ over 6 months.

hopefulhiker
01-25-2007, 00:29
I would say take advantage of Work for Stays, trail magic, hiker boxes, and hiker feeds, otherwise avoid towns as much as possible.

Sly
01-25-2007, 00:52
If you have someone at home that's willing to do it, I think you should consider doing mail drops the entire trail. A couple thoughts....

1) Buy in bulk

2) You can probably get by with $5 per day. 6 months= 180 days 180 x $5 =$900

3) 30 drops divided by 180 (days) = 6 days of food average per drop.

4) 6 days x 2lbs per day= 12lbs per drop

5) If you can fit the food in a Priority Mail flat rate box it's $8.10 per drop. The boxes are free and can be ordered online and delivered for free.

6) 30 drops x $8.10= $245

7) You'll have $845 left over divided by 30 drops = $28 per town.

8) You'll have food and money from GA to ME.

4eyedbuzzard
01-25-2007, 02:09
Does the $2K also go towards tranportation - home to Springer and Katahdin to home? I would guesstimate $200 getting there and $100 getting home to Albany for buses/shuttles, etc. Whatever it is, remember to factor it in with an allowance for fare increases.

There are a few fees along the way especially in New England just as you're beginning to run low on money:( (some Vermont shelters, huts and camping areas in the White Mountains, Baxter State Park).

Food drops can save you money but in towns that have full grocery stores you'll do better buying locally and saving the postage and hassle of the PO being closed weekends after 12 on Sat. The resupply articles on the WB homepage, the companion, etc should help in determining the best places to resupply locally vs drops.

$2K is very marginal. Get all the extra funds you can. $3 to $5K (not incl equipment)is more the norm. You'll have to avoid some of the town eats and most all motel lodging. Hostels are usually cheap but not always available or pleasant. (Companion helps here)If you're going right back out after laundry(another expense) and resupplying, try to yogi shower access at campgrounds, from fellow hikers who have motel rooms, etc. You will grow to really appreciate being clean once a week, if only for few hours.;)

Marta
01-25-2007, 07:14
You'll have to be very self-disciplined, which is hard when everyone around you is indulging in drinking fests and splurging on restaurant meals.

mindi
01-25-2007, 07:23
I'm going on about the same amount, Grandma Dixie. If we budget well, I think we'll be fine. If not, I'm sure we'll be back here telling others to take more!
:) Mindi

fonsie
01-25-2007, 07:27
Yea just avode the towns. I am taking 4,000 but I need to have money to pay my Cell phone bill and storage bin for 6 months.

Lone Wolf
01-25-2007, 07:28

just don't get sucked into that " you don't need this, send it home, buy this. tuckerization crap" at neel gap and drop a lot of your cash like most. don't get sucked into all the hostels early on either. folks spend lots of $$ with multi-nite stays/partying/slackpacking. just a couple of thoughts.

fonsie
01-25-2007, 07:40
O' yea alot of hostals charge a couple of dollors to just take a shower, You can wash clothes in the shower.

Johnny Swank
01-25-2007, 08:31
It's going to be tight, and you're going to need plenty of self discipline to pull it off. If there's any way possible, I'd try and raise a few more dollars. Cut out all optional expenses (sodas, movies, dinners/lunches out, etc) sell stuff on Craigslist, or work nights at a temp service if need be. Check out the Articles section for Weathercarrot's piece on doing the trail for $1200 for some ideas.

I've got some stuff on my website about Thru-hiking on the Cheap (http://sourcetosea.net/Articles/articles/thru-hiking-cheap.html) and Cutting Down on Town Time (http://sourcetosea.net/Articles/articles/town-time.html) that might give you something to think about.

OntheRoad
01-25-2007, 13:05
I haven't thru-hiked yet, but if weathercarrot can do it with $1200 I can imagine that you could easily do it with $2000.

I am planning on hiking a huge section or maybe thru hiking this March and I don't plan on spending nearly that much. Live out of your tent, wash up in streams(no soap), and only buy what you need.

neo
01-25-2007, 14:08

:D you can do it easily,limit your eating at resturants in town and staying in hostels or hotels,you can resupply cheaply in the south at dollar general stores and savalot stores,flavored oatmeal $ 1.00 a box,cocoa $ 1.00 a box
lots of cheap options,mac and cheese still pretty cheap,i say it can be done
divide $2000 by 26 weeks that $76.92 budget a week.now $2500 is $96.15 a week $3000 is 115.38 per week:cool: neo

neo
01-25-2007, 14:09
O' yea alot of hostals charge a couple of dollors to just take a shower, You can wash clothes in the shower.

yep.i have done that to,thats works very well when on a budget:cool: neo

TurkeyBacon
01-25-2007, 14:28
"I haven't thru-hiked yet, but if weathercarrot can do it with $1200 I can imagine that you could easily do it with $2000."
Sorry if I'm completely wrong, but if its the wethercarrot I met in 2002 its not a fair comparison at all. The weathercarrot I met hiked fast, which means fewer days on the trail and hiked the trail before which means he knew the tricks that must be learned.
I spent 1500 on the first half of the trail, but fell in love with kayaking and only spent 750 for the second half of the trail and then spent 750 when I got home on my first yak. I spent less time in towns, which meant I did 21 days between NJ and NH without a shower. I still ate out whenever I could but spent less on other things. All my mail drops and most my food was already paid for and my father picked me up, so no money there. 2000 is possible but more than prefered.
TB

hammock engineer
01-25-2007, 14:50
There was a post somewhere by Hammock Hanger talking about Weathercarrot.

If I remember the post correctly. She said that he is really good about not wasting money and improvizing ways to save money. I think she also said that not too many people could get by like he does.

Mountain Maiden
01-25-2007, 19:48
There was a post somewhere by Hammock Hanger talking about Weathercarrot.

If I remember the post correctly. She said that he is really good about not wasting money and improvizing ways to save money. I think she also said that not too many people could get by like he does.

Having hiked many miles with Weathercarrot, I can tell you his experience and excellent self-discipline allow him to hike inexpensively. It would be a challenge for others to emulate his restraint, especially first time out.

For MOST hikers this is a once-in-a-lifetime adventure. My advice would be to read his information and apply everything you can if monay is an issue. But, be prepared to spend more. $100/week is prob a good measure for an reasonable hike. But--MOST spend MUCH more. One of my 2002 thru-hiking friends spent nearly $13,000 while mine was more like $5000. (Of course, that did not include the $7000 broken arm!") :(

Have a GREAT hike!

Sunny aka Sunrise aka Cody Zamora :sun

Miss Janet
01-30-2007, 22:11

Don't be washing your skanky dirty clothes in our showers!! You are lucky that we don't spray some of you off with a water hose before we let you in the house!

Seriously... many hikes end because hikers under estimate how much it will cost them to hike the AT. I think that this may end more hikes than injuries and sad phone calls from home.

I have noticed that most estimates for determining the cost of a hike never include several items...

*multiple nights in town... bad injuries, bad weather, waiting on gear, waiting on mail drops, waiting on family... it happens to everyone.

*funds for transportation during the hike... and every hiker WILL get rides that they will need to pay for...

*that 2nd lunch... 2nd dinner... 3rd ice cream Most people spend twice what they planned just EATING in town.

*Drinks of all kinds... even 3 or 4 sodas a day start adding up, power aids drinks in bottles can cost 2$ in a little store. Beer is costly and many hikers will spend 8-12$ having good beers with dinner. It isn't just the "heavy drinkers" racking up beer sales.

And try to remember that you really can't plan on Work for Stay when you are making your budget. You may be the third or fourth person to ask for WFS that day and you may not be needed. You should have skills and initiative and a willingness to work, if you want to be considered for a work for stay. Hostels really need your help and we can't function without everyone pitching in on the chores but we can't give everyone a free night.

I am not picking on you Fonsie... you just gave me the chance to say a few things.

Miss Janet
02-02-2007, 16:23
I was afraid I would make some people mad with the previous comments but maybe no one even saw them...

mindi
02-02-2007, 21:56
I think everyone just can't find anything there to argue with, Miss Janet. At least I hope not.
I won't be washing my clothes in your shower, in any case..

;) Mindi

Rufous Sided Towhee
02-02-2007, 22:16
And try to remember that you really can't plan on Work for Stay when you are making your budget. You may be the third or fourth person to ask for WFS that day and you may not be needed.

Hey Miss Janet! I've sometimes wondered how many hikers arrive in Erwin broke, or close to it. How much $$ do you think most hikers have already spent by the time they arrive there? Approx what percentage have spent considerably more money than they expected at that point?

Looking forward to your blog!

Miss Janet
02-02-2007, 23:19
Every year I see all different kinds of "poor" hikers...

I see the poorly unprepared who thought they could do the AT with almost nothing for gear and relying on work along the trail to pay as they went... some actually can make this work but too many turn into trail panhandlers. It is about the attitude and willingness to work. These hikers find it hard to stay with a group because they often have to stay a few extra days to find work.

Then there is I can do it for .25 cents a mile poor hikers... they may really think they can do it but then they proceed to eat and hang out just like everyone else... I usually suggest they go home and try again another year with a little more saved and then they can enjoy the hike better..

Then there are the poor "I am trying to do the AT with no money" hiker... it doesn't mean they don't have the money... they just don't want to pay for anything!

Then of course the poor "I really don't have the money to pay for shuttles, hostels, my half of the hotel bill, laundry, etc" hiker. But amazingly they managed to budget for a 12 pack, a carton of cigs, 3 pizzas and a trip to the movies at every town stop.

And, of course, the poor hikers with gold cards for emergencies like $150 concert tickets, 3 flights home to see the girlfriend and an emergency budget for every new piece of gear they see along the trail. They sometimes don't look at the every day hiking expenses as a priority. But they are often the ones who tell me they will be doing a Work for Stay... as though it is owed to them.

It is really sad to see a hiker have to leave the trail a month into a hike because thier 500.00 budget is already gone. It is sadder to see a broke hiker taking advantage of everyone else or even stealing to try to stay on the trail.

There really aren't so many of these Poor Hikers. Most hikers are well prepared or they learn quickly what it will cost and they go to plan #2.

Rufous Sided Towhee
02-03-2007, 01:02
Every year I see all different kinds of "poor" hikers...

Thanks for posting this, Miss Janet. Maybe this is something you could re-post in some section of your new blog, looks like something every potential thru-hiker should read, regardless of how much money they actually have.

Lilred
02-03-2007, 10:21
I'm still giggling at the site of you hosing down someone on your front porch.......

weathercarrot
02-03-2007, 10:31
Having hiked many miles with Weathercarrot, I can tell you his experience and excellent self-discipline allow him to hike inexpensively. It would be a challenge for others to emulate his restraint, especially first time out.

hiking the trail for $1200 like I did in 2002 (and the PCT in 2000) is getting more and more difficult. I had a hard time maintaining that budget on my 2004 PCT hike. If I were to do either trail again, I would probably shoot for something around $1600-1800, which is still less than the average 15 years ago. And I don't really hike much faster than most others. The key is not drinking or smoking, avoiding motels, limited restaurants, the willingness to resupply in town without spending the night, and only spending money on hostels when it's a place I really want to spend time and work-for-stay is not practical or possible.

Grandma Dixie
02-03-2007, 10:55
Well, I dont smoke, and I'm not old enough to drink, so thats a plus there!

weathercarrot
02-03-2007, 11:40
quick note on hiker boxes -

my personal standard is to hike as cheap as possible without relying on hiker boxes, for two reasons: The selection is not generally what I would want to eat. And I would prefer to leave it for those who are in more need than I am. But I will grab the occasional Lipton/Ramen. And I did a little more than usual in DWG because I didn't want to travel to the store in Stroudsburg.

mindi
02-03-2007, 13:34
I have a limited budget, but I'm planning it so that I will have money to donate at the must-stay hostels like Miss Janet's. I don't plan on doing any kind of work-for-stay..if I'm staying in someone's home, I'll pitch in, I don't need a discount to do that.

Socrates
02-03-2007, 14:48
All of you people are poor and disgust me! My father is a millionaire and gives me everything I need whenever I want it! haha I'm just kidding. I'm going to try and budget about $600 a month for 6 months. Hopefully that will do it or I WILL be calling my dad! haha I already have the equipment so it's all for food and alcohol and lap danc.. I mean hostels.

Heater
02-03-2007, 15:34
Don't be washing your skanky dirty clothes in our showers!! You are lucky that we don't spray some of you off with a water hose before we let you in the house!

Seriously... many hikes end because hikers under estimate how much it will cost them to hike the AT. I think that this may end more hikes than injuries and sad phone calls from home.

I have noticed that most estimates for determining the cost of a hike never include several items...

*multiple nights in town... bad injuries, bad weather, waiting on gear, waiting on mail drops, waiting on family... it happens to everyone.

*funds for transportation during the hike... and every hiker WILL get rides that they will need to pay for...

*that 2nd lunch... 2nd dinner... 3rd ice cream Most people spend twice what they planned just EATING in town.

*Drinks of all kinds... even 3 or 4 sodas a day start adding up, power aids drinks in bottles can cost 2$ in a little store. Beer is costly and many hikers will spend 8-12$ having good beers with dinner. It isn't just the "heavy drinkers" racking up beer sales.

And try to remember that you really can't plan on Work for Stay when you are making your budget. You may be the third or fourth person to ask for WFS that day and you may not be needed. You should have skills and initiative and a willingness to work, if you want to be considered for a work for stay. Hostels really need your help and we can't function without everyone pitching in on the chores but we can't give everyone a free night.

I am not picking on you Fonsie... you just gave me the chance to say a few things.

Voice of reason. :D

mindi
02-03-2007, 17:17
Lap dances? I forgot to budget for those. Getting out my calculator for some re-calculating..

Topcat
02-03-2007, 17:37
Lap dances? I forgot to budget for those. Getting out my calculator for some re-calculating..

spending money getting them or making money giving them...???????:banana

mindi
02-03-2007, 18:45
Getting, not giving. I don't imagine anyone will want my hiker funk that close to them!

Frosty
02-03-2007, 23:27
All of you people are poor and disgust me! My father is a millionaire and gives me everything I need whenever I want it! haha I'm just kidding. I'm going to try and budget about $600 a month for 6 months. Hopefully that will do it or I WILL be calling my dad! haha I already have the equipment so it's all for food and alcohol and lap danc.. I mean hostels.I wonder what it would be like to be in a shelter with you and Matthewski? I'd be a gibbering idiot by dawn. Oh, wait ....

snowsurfer
01-07-2008, 00:03
broken arms , hotel stay, beer, multiple night town stays, you people are suppose to be on the trail to get away from all that crap, not blow a small fortune on it. the at origanally was through hiked for people to spend along time away from this twisted society not to continuously put themselves constantly back in it along the way. it is sad to see most people now seem to be doing it for a very expensive way to party along the way

River Runner
01-07-2008, 00:33
:D you can do it easily,limit your eating at resturants in town and staying in hostels or hotels,you can resupply cheaply in the south at dollar general stores and savalot stores,flavored oatmeal $ 1.00 a box,cocoa $ 1.00 a box
lots of cheap options,mac and cheese still pretty cheap,i say it can be done
divide $2000 by 26 weeks that $76.92 budget a week.now $2500 is $96.15 a week $3000 is 115.38 per week:cool: neo

Between Springer & Neel's Gap if you leave at the right time, you wouldn't even have to bring along food. Just live on the oatmeal & ramen left behind at Hawk Mountain & Gooch Shelters! :D

rafe
01-07-2008, 00:40
the at origanally was through hiked for people to spend along time away from this twisted society not to continuously put themselves constantly back in it along the way. it is sad to see most people now seem to be doing it for a very expensive way to party along the way

And who appointed you as judge the AT's purpose? If you want to bellyache about the AT "party scene," well, that's another thread... and has also been hashed to death. If you don't like it, don't partake. It's really that simple. Naturally, your hike will be that much cheaper. ;) :banana :cool: :)

River Runner
01-07-2008, 00:42
broken arms , hotel stay, beer, multiple night town stays, you people are suppose to be on the trail to get away from all that crap, not blow a small fortune on it. the at origanally was through hiked for people to spend along time away from this twisted society not to continuously put themselves constantly back in it along the way. it is sad to see most people now seem to be doing it for a very expensive way to party along the way

Broken arms are from partying? :confused: Possible I guess, but a lot occur due to mishaps on the trail that aren't party related.

River Runner
01-07-2008, 00:47

Great post Miss Janet.