PDA

View Full Version : Ok, leaving late February... Other hikers and temperatures...

Socrates
01-25-2007, 02:48
So I've decided to go NB in late Feb. Will there still be a lot of hikers leaving around that time? And what kind of temps should I prepare for? I've got a 15 degree bag.

Survivor Dave
01-25-2007, 05:03
I have decided to go with a 20 degree bag rather than a 15, to save a little weight. I usually sleep hot so I don't get cold whatsoever.

Using the Big Agnes system with the pad being incorporated(but seperate components)with the bag. Very cool idea and extra roooooooooom! Very comfortable.

Leaving February 20th with a fellow hiker to Fontana, returning home so the other hiker can attend to family stuff and return to Fontana around the middle of March.

Trying to avoid all the crowds. Totally stoked for the journey, wanted it since I was a kid.

Maguro

PJ 2005
01-25-2007, 09:50
A friend of mine left on February 20th and was alone in shelters for half the trail. I left a week and a half later and never spent a night alone. It's quirky.

Happy
01-25-2007, 11:07
So I've decided to go NB in late Feb. Will there still be a lot of hikers leaving around that time? And what kind of temps should I prepare for? I've got a 15 degree bag.

Around March 1st and March 15th are the BIG starting times. Adjust your start to these dates.

Are you taking some form of puff jacket that can supplement your bag just in case you have a couple cold nights? At late February you may encounter a few nights where you wear all of your clothes.

Just eat something just before going to bed and you should be fine.

squivens
01-25-2007, 11:53
im starting the approach trail on Feb. 20th. So I'll be out there with you too. Im taking a 20 degree bag for myself.

crutch
01-25-2007, 12:15
I started last year on the 15th of Feb. and plan on doing the same this year.
You can expect some snow, some nights where the temp will hit the low teens and even some single digit nights.
Last year I did run into about 5 other hikers in the first week or so and as of this point there are about 15 NOBO's on trail this year. You may run into a few if you start out on the 20th. I will suggest that you bring something to read.....the nights are long this time of year.

Good luck and have a great hike.

Crutch

Grandma Dixie
01-25-2007, 12:58
Myself and my buddy will be starting on the 25th. (I have a 25* bag, hopefully thats enough, but if not I can always throw on some clothes)

guthook
01-25-2007, 18:13
Good to hear I won't be totally alone out there. I'm starting from Springer on the 24th. Hopefully I'll see some of you at some point.

I'm going with the 30-degree bag + liner + down jacket and fleece pants. Hopefully that'll be enough, and the pants/jacket will go back home in the mail once it gets warm enough.

rockrat
01-25-2007, 18:44
I'm leaving the 27th since I wanted to be 18 before I left and my birthday is the 25th. I'm using a 20 degree until the Smokies then switchin to a -15 degree. I know its overkill, but since I live so close it won't be that much of a weight issue because I'm getting resupplies at Newfound Gap, Clingman's Dome, Fontana and I-40. Once I get out of finicky Smokies weather I'll be back to the 20.

Mountain Man
01-25-2007, 21:02
im starting the approach trail on Feb. 20th. So I'll be out there with you too. Im taking a 20 degree bag for myself.

I'm starting the Approach on the 20th also. Probably see ya there at Amicalola.

Skidsteer
01-25-2007, 21:15
I'm starting the Approach on the 20th also. Probably see ya there at Amicalola.

You got the stuff to make it Mountain Man. Have some fun amigo.

Mountain Man
01-25-2007, 21:31
You got the stuff to make it Mountain Man. Have some fun amigo.

Thanks Skids, If you get the chance come out and hike a day or two with me. I'll holler at you from time to time to let you know how it's going.

OntheRoad
01-26-2007, 00:33
Anyone worried about their sleeping bags being warm enough, read this, it might offer you some comfort. It was written by Andrew Skurka who has thru-hiked the AT and pioneered the over 7000 mile sea-to-sea route which he hiked in only 12 months:

"

Forget about sleeping bag ratings for a second. Instead, think about everything you carry with you in order to stay warm. This includes, but is not limited to: your clothing (including your rain jacket, gloves, hat, extra socks, etc.), sleeping bag, sleeping pad, shelter, and (maybe) bivy sack. If you think about it this way, you notice that already you are carrying lots of "insulation" besides your sleeping bag.
So, then, it is not necessary to bring a sleeping bag with a temperature rating that matches perfectly the nighttime low you expect to encounter. Instead, the combination of all of your insulting gear needs to match that nighttime low. This is why I take just my 40-degree GoLite Feather-lite bag even when I expect temperatures to be almost zero degrees. Between the bag, my clothing, my sleeping pad, my shelter, and my bivy sack I am able to stay comfortable. I prefer most of my insulation to be in the form of clothing, which I can wear while hiking. If most of my insulation is provided by my other equipment, I'll be cold in the morning, at night, and during rest breaks -- or, alternatively, I could take more clothing, but then I'd be carrying more "insulation" than I really need to. There is a trade-off with using clothing as insulation: for the amount of materials used, it insulates a smaller volume of your body compared to a sleeping bag. (Consider: the amount of material used to make insulated pants versus the amount of material used to make the bottom half of your sleeping bag). "

Grandma Dixie
01-26-2007, 14:14
Cant wait to see you guys! Socrates, do you know what day you're leaving?

Butch Cassidy
01-26-2007, 16:10
Hello Socrates, We'll be out there on The 27th headed north. Watch out for the Angry Fathers, Broken hearted females and Bears with Bloody noses in our Wake. See Ya uptrail,, Butch:cool:

2 Fingers
01-26-2007, 22:56
throw me in at Springer for Feb 15... am gonna use my Hennessy hammock w/ Super Shelter... pack weight "should " be below 30 #'s w/o water & food ;)... I agree with OnTheRoad's Skurka quote... am using a modified 45 degree FrogSac from Speer... will wear everything I carry then send the heavy stuff back home when it warms up.

the Nighthawk
01-29-2007, 16:56
Good to hear that there are so many February starters out there. I have been getting a lot of junk from my friends for starting in Feb., but I am little more satisfied now after reading all of your posts. I leave from Springer with two other guys on Feb. 13. Hope to see some of you out there...